Can you really build a PC for less the £800 that beat a PS4

#51 Posted by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

For the same price as a PS4? LOL NO. Not even close. I'm a hermit but I don't believe those BS rigs some have come up with. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. If you aren't spending at least £1000 on your first real gaming PC then you are doing it wrong.

#52 Posted by AM-Gamer (4108 posts) -
@m3dude1 said:

then clearly it doesnt outperform it "period" now does it? it outperforms it in rush job launch frame shitty pc ports which themselves are already shitty ports of ps360 games. once all games are coded around the ps4s specific hardware everything will change and sub 780/290 level gpus will be eating dirt. i look forward to see how bf5, call of duty 2016 etc run on those sub 780/290 gpus compared to ps4.

Pretty much this, hermits do this every generation though. I remember when the 360 got the crap ports Quake: Wars and Prey and hermits were acting like consoles could never match those visuals. They were trash ports and within 1 year they even the PC versions looked worse then the average 360 or PS3 game. The cards that could run those games better then the 360 couldn't even meet the minimum requirements of future multi-plats.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Easily.

For £600 you can build a PC with the following:

• FX 6300
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • R9 270X

PS4: 1600x900 BF4

PC above : 1920x1080 BF4

Done.

LOL so is BF4 the only game hermits play now? A game that was built ground up for pc and then ported to 4 different consoles? Do you honestly think BF4 is what you can expect from consoles?

#53 Edited by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

I want to put it under TV it can go a bit bigger than PS4. Limited room. Doesn't look too good anyone know a case I can start with. Was looking new low power nvidia cards. What you think?

A GTX750 would be good. Slim card, with console busting performance but how much are you willing to spend?

#54 Edited by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:
@m3dude1 said:

then clearly it doesnt outperform it "period" now does it? it outperforms it in rush job launch frame shitty pc ports which themselves are already shitty ports of ps360 games. once all games are coded around the ps4s specific hardware everything will change and sub 780/290 level gpus will be eating dirt. i look forward to see how bf5, call of duty 2016 etc run on those sub 780/290 gpus compared to ps4.

Pretty much this, hermits do this every generation though. I remember when the 360 got the crap ports Quake: Wars and Prey and hermits were acting like consoles could never match those visuals. They were trash ports and within 1 year they even the PC versions looked worse then the average 360 or PS3 game. The cards that could run those games better then the 360 couldn't even meet the minimum requirements of future multi-plats.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Easily.

• FX 6300
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • R9 270X

Done.

LOL so is BF4 the only game hermits play now? A game that was built ground up for pc and then ported to 4 different consoles? Do you honestly think BF4 is what you can expect from consoles?

However, you have to look at how much of a visual and performance hit those games took to run on the 360 and PS3. If you look at the time the 360 spent in the shops getting games, there was the 8800 series, the 2**, the 4**, 5** and I believe the 6** was also released at the very end of the 7th gen.

#55 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3913 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Easily.

• FX 6300
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • R9 270X

Done.

#56 Edited by melonfarmerz (1199 posts) -

TC. Don't listen to the console fanboys who really don't know how PC's work. 800 euro's, or 1300 US dollars, is a VERY good enthusiast class PC. Mine cost me 1150 and I run BF4 at 85 fps.

#57 Posted by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Easily.

• FX 6300
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • R9 270X

Done.

Now you just sound mad.

#58 Posted by Scipio8 (693 posts) -

Easily, £800 is more than enough for a gaming rig that will easily outperform the PS4. By the way, there was a rumour that AMD will bring out a SOC based roughly around the PS4 for budget PC gaming.

#59 Posted by MBirdy88 (8437 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@stationplay_4 said:

i would sure hope so. that's like 3 times as much as one costs. lol

..... £350 for the console.

£700 ... nowhere near 3x.

your criteria is stupid anyway, small as a PS4? why is that relevant? or quiet? or wattage? a more powerful device that can do alot more than game is never going to be as small or power effecient.....

what is this nonsense.

My 3 year old 6950 i5 rig runs Battlefield 4 better tahn the PS4 does.... if I built a new one now for £800 It would CRUSH the ps4. hell, if I just changed my GPU it would slam it.

That same rig also wont run COD:Ghost, Tomb Raider, or most other multiplats as good as a PS4. That gap will only widen as time goes on.

I dont know about CoD: Ghosts ... since I dont buy that crap anymore. but I run Tomb Raider on Max Settings... 30fps 1080p. which still as proven times over looks better than the definitive edition.

I even play Black Flag better.... and that is a poorly optimized port, as is cod ghosts.

kinda sad having to cherry pick increidbly lazy ports.... the PC community barely gives a s*it about CoD.

#60 Posted by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

silly me, i forgot that continual GPU upgrades are included in the initial buying price.

#61 Edited by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

Why would they run badly exactly?

PS4 is now almost working like a PC

because pc software is horribly written garbage with little thought of optimization.

So,you've developed several games last gen and know about this?

the results relative to hardware speak for themselves.

#62 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

silly me, i forgot that continual GPU upgrades are included in the initial buying price.

Save 150 for a future gpu update,problem solved

+money you save from cheaper games

+money you save on not paying psn+

#63 Posted by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

150 lol

#64 Edited by _Matt_ (8937 posts) -

YES. Easily. You can even shave another £100 off that and it still beats the PS4.

#65 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Yeah.

You could build a PC that outperforms the PS4 for $700-$800, let alone $1300 (£800). And when you factor in the PC savings of cheaper games, tons of free DLC, and not having to pay $50 a year for online, you're probably going to spend less on the PC overall while getting far more games and functionality

Though I guess it depends on what options you have to buy parts in the UK.

#67 Posted by wis3boi (31583 posts) -

*yawn*

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jIih

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT 93.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($144.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.26 @ OutletPC)

Total: £666.43

#68 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16682 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

Probably wrong thread but it is comparing PS4 and PC.

Can you really buy a PC that is less than £800 that can

Beat the PS4 in terms of graphical, run 1080P and higher games at faster resolution with ultra high on. I need it to really be better to justify the outlay.

Be as small as a PS4 or similar

Be as quiet as a PS4

I know its been discussed before but if you can what should I get?

£800 is almost $1334.

I can build one more powerful and possibly more quiet. But, as small as a PS4? Probably not. Then again all my minitower PCs each weight less than a PS3 and less likely to tip over like the PS3 can on its side without the optional support stand.

#69 Posted by gamecubepad (6144 posts) -

This is a great thread. I feel like we all learn something in the end.

$650 will get you a PS4-beating system. Would consist of something like a FX-6300 bumped to just under the turbo limit, 8GB DDR3 1600, and R7 265 2GB with some minor clock bumps. This isn't going into a SFF case and that's a known commodity. You could do it, but why waste hundreds for something that's a nominal difference at best?

---

Regardless, PS4 is still a good value, especially in light of the X1 situation. Sony has a great track record with games. You can't go wrong except the online paywall.

Get both, or all, but especially as many as possible in order of library quality and desirability. This is SW, and no console holds up to the PC on any level besides ease of use, but irl you go with what you love, or rabidly defend the toy your granny got you for xmas. Can't remember which it was my notes are lost spilled coffee on my crotch.

#70 Posted by tdkmillsy (1533 posts) -

Thanks for feedback guys, out of the PC loop since Xbox 360.

Fanboys comes with the territory I suppose.

I figured you could build a PC for that kind of money to well outperform PS4, it was the size of case and noise that was the concern as it will be in the front room and on a lot.

Will ponder and do some more research. May get a PS4 in the end but just fancied building a PC.

#71 Posted by NFJSupreme (5380 posts) -

I see people are in here spreading the same lies about pc optimization as always. Too bad I'm at work to counter all you guys bullshit. Maybe if I care enough to remember when I get home I'll come back to this thread. I'll just say that the myth of consoles some how outperforming pcs that are superior to them later on in the life of a console is just that. A myth. At no point in time has this ever been true so it would be nice if you fools stopped spreading your ignorance like a disease.

#72 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16682 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

I figured you could build a PC for that kind of money to well outperform PS4, it was the size of case and noise that was the concern as it will be in the front room and on a lot.

Will ponder and do some more research. May get a PS4 in the end but just fancied building a PC.

For $1300 here in the US, I can probably buy both a decent PC and a PS4.

#73 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4282 posts) -

Without any problem .

#74 Posted by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

I see people are in here spreading the same lies about pc optimization as always. Too bad I'm at work to counter all you guys bullshit. Maybe if I care enough to remember when I get home I'll come back to this thread. I'll just say that the myth of consoles some how outperforming pcs that are superior to them later on in the life of a console is just that. A myth. At no point in time has this ever been true so it would be nice if you fools stopped spreading your ignorance like a disease.

Yes lets ignore all the developers and listen to you instead

#75 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5076 posts) -

good thread.

tc, if i were you - i wouldn't aim for the computer to be small, and quiet. mostly because if you do this you're compromising thermal solution.

for a gaming pc, i'd go for the largest possible case- more room for upgrades, easier to work in, a larger space to accommodate heat build up.

however, if you're really insistent on small and quiet, you can use aftermarket coolers which are more efficient, and thus run the fans at lower speeds - creating less noise pollution.

#76 Posted by MiiiiV (528 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

outperform it in the current crop of horrible last gen looking multiplatform games like bf4? yes you can.

Outperform it,period.

nope. let me know how those x1850s and 7800 gts are playing bf3, crysis 3, cod black ops 2, bf4, and other late gen multi platform games. then let me know how anything you can push out of one of those cards compares to a game like god of war 3, uncharted 2/3, killzone 3 etc. an 8800 gtx, which was in roughly the same position relative to the consoles as a 780 is today barely gives a better experience in said titles than the ps360.

An 8800 gtx coupled with a core 2 duo beats ps360 in almost every multi plat. ps360 are far to weak to run bf3/4 as they are severely dumbed down to the hd-twins, with fewer players, smaller maps, less destruction. I'm pretty sure the other games you named also run better on such a pc, now that Crysis 3 can run on dx10 hardware.

#77 Edited by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

For Europe currency probably, for NA currency probably not.

#78 Posted by Spartan070 (16365 posts) -

Only buy a platform based on performance alone if all you're going to be playing are multiplats. Otherwise always let the libraries decide for you.

#79 Posted by Spartan070 (16365 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

*yawn*

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jIih

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT 93.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($144.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.26 @ OutletPC)

Total: £666.43

shipping costs?

trolololololol

#80 Edited by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

@miiiiv said:

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

outperform it in the current crop of horrible last gen looking multiplatform games like bf4? yes you can.

Outperform it,period.

nope. let me know how those x1850s and 7800 gts are playing bf3, crysis 3, cod black ops 2, bf4, and other late gen multi platform games. then let me know how anything you can push out of one of those cards compares to a game like god of war 3, uncharted 2/3, killzone 3 etc. an 8800 gtx, which was in roughly the same position relative to the consoles as a 780 is today barely gives a better experience in said titles than the ps360.

An 8800 gtx coupled with a core 2 duo beats ps360 in almost every multi plat. ps360 are far to weak to run bf3/4 as they are severely dumbed down to the hd-twins, with fewer players, smaller maps, less destruction. I'm pretty sure the other games you named also run better on such a pc, now that Crysis 3 can run on dx10 hardware.

yes its a slightly better experience. When you consider how much more powerful that pc is than ps360 tho it puts things into perspective.

#81 Posted by lostrib (39049 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@miiiiv said:

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

Outperform it,period.

yes its a slightly better experience. When you consider how much more powerful that pc is than ps360 tho it puts things into perspective.

when you consider that you're a troll, it puts things into perspective

#82 Edited by Couth_ (10206 posts) -
@tdkmillsy said:

There are plenty of nice MINI-ITX cases. The only drawback is that MINI-ITX motherboards only have 2 RAM slots and only 1 PCI-E slot and the cases usually have no disc drive. But the FRACTAL NODE 304 for example can fit a full GPU, even the 780Ti or TITAN with no compromise, up to 8 hard drives and a full aftermarket CPU cooler so there is no compromise on cooling

You can definitely do it. It may be a little more difficult to set up initially, but it's better then staring at an absurd looking oversized case for the next couple years

#84 Posted by MiiiiV (528 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@miiiiv said:

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

Outperform it,period.

I would call it more than a slightly better experience. Often better graphics, with higher resolution and at a higher frame rate at that. It's clearly a bigger difference than the one between xbone and ps4.
But I think I know what you mean, the 8800 gtx is about 2,5x more powerful than the ps3's gpu but not 2,5 times better. Much like the gtx 780ti is about 3x more powerful than the ps4's gpu but it's not certain that it will have 3 times better performance. But it sure as hell will continue to outperform the ps4 by a wide margin throughout this generation.

#85 Edited by razu2444 (806 posts) -

A PC can never be as sleek and sexy as a PS4. That is why Hermits are saying "why is that relevant?"...

#86 Posted by TigerSuperman (2568 posts) -

No, you can buy one online right now from a select manufacturers website. Integrated Intels can beat the PS4' and XBox One for goodness sake.

#87 Posted by LustForSoul (5898 posts) -

799 britains? Hell yes.

#88 Posted by NFJSupreme (5380 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@NFJSupreme said:

Yes lets ignore all the developers and listen to you instead

show me a quote of any dev talking about any console outperforming a card that was significantly stronger than it at any time. 1...2...3...GO!

#89 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16682 posts) -

@razu2444 said:

A PC can never be as sleek and sexy as a PS4. That is why Hermits are saying "why is that relevant?"...

Wha? The PS4's butt-ugly as hell. But, the looks of the plastic don't dictate whether I like it or not.The games do....Infamous is a good start.

#90 Posted by super600 (30811 posts) -

@juarbles said:

No way possible. Even at $3000 a PC can't play PS4 award winning exclusives.

Were are those award winning exclusives?Are they in the sky being prepared to be unleashed to the world.

#91 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

Outperform it,period.

Look how the consoles play them....how's ~30 fps and below 1080p. LOL.

#92 Edited by NFJSupreme (5380 posts) -

@Primordialous said:
@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

Outperform it,period.

Look how the consoles play them....how's ~30 fps and below 720p. LOL.

fixed

#93 Edited by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

have any of you even tried playing one of these recent games on an 8800gtx? i tried playing bf3 on it at one point and it was a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQtPVJt6VM

yep looks thats how it ran for me too. 1024x768 lowest settings possible and its an absolute mess. far worse experience than ps360 on hardware nearly 3x as powerful.

Heres a quote from the developers of the metro games on console v pc efficiency and optimization

"Oles Shishkovstov: No, you just cannot compare consoles to PC directly. Consoles could do at least 2x what a comparable PC can due to the fixed platform and low-level access to hardware."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-metro-last-light

thats in addition to john cramack, timothy lottes, other developers and even various amd and nvidia guys making the same statement.

#94 Edited by Pray_to_me (2920 posts) -

You ruv Microsoft that much you want to get a wannabe console PC?

You gonna go on newegg and get a whole bunch of low budget components and hope that shit doesn't start a fire?

You gonna take the time to slap that PoS together? Mad loud?

You gonna trade your ability to rent borrow and sell your games for shitty steam sales on garbage titles?

You gonna sit on the sidelines and play the sims or world of warcraft when you miss out on the next Demon Souls, Last of us or GTA 5?

You gonna clutter up your living room with a mouse and keyboard? You gonna buy a controller adapter?

The answer is yes you can get a PC for double the price of a PS4 but when you're done with all the hassle and stress, you'll have paid a far greater price. Enjoy.

#95 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

have any of you even tried playing one of these recent games on an 8800gtx? i tried playing bf3 on it at one point and it was a mess.

yep looks thats how it ran for me too. 1024x768 lowest settings possible and its an absolute mess. far worse experience than ps360 on hardware nearly 3x as powerful.

http://mp1st.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Repi-650x400.jpg

See what DICE has to say about BF3. On consoles, it's probably worse than PC low.

#96 Edited by melonfarmerz (1199 posts) -

@razu2444 said:

Let's just say you're right and that the PS4 is even remotely appealing to the eye. Even so, PC has access to customizability and personal preference. This is what i PERSONALLY consider sleek and sexy. You don't have that with the PS4. You have ONE brick that is the same as everyone elses.

#97 Posted by NFJSupreme (5380 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

Heres a quote from the developers of the metro games on console v pc efficiency and optimization

"Oles Shishkovstov: No, you just cannot compare consoles to PC directly. Consoles could do at least 2x what a comparable PC can due to the fixed platform and low-level access to hardware."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-metro-last-light

thats in addition to john cramack, timothy lottes, other developers and even various amd and nvidia guys making the same statement.

comparable PC. You want to claim that consoles can outperform hardware that is substantially stronger. Also 8800GT runs BF3 better than the PS360 dude. On PS360 you talking about lower than low settings, sub 720p and barely 30fps if that. 8800GT even with a crappy dual core can run it at like 900p on low settings between 30 and 40. Nice try though.

I'll make it simple for you. Show me a quote from any dev talking about the PS360 outperforming the 8800GT. Only games that don't run on the 8800GT that run on the PS360 are games that don't support dx10 or lower and that has to do with software not hardware.

#98 Posted by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

the video i just posted is an overclocked 8800 gtx running sub 720p lowest possible settings at 15 fps AVG with drops even lower. no arguing video evidence. I just linked you to a developer which makes the game u guys claim is some graphics king stating consoles can achieve AT LEAST 2x what comparable pc hardware can. that obviously means they can keep up with more powerful hardware. kind of like the 8800gtx overclocked model eating dirt trying to run bf3.

#99 Edited by superclocked (5831 posts) -

I put together a rig for half that price over six months ago that was over 3x as powerful as the PS4...

(FX-6300, 8GB DDR3 1600, HD 7950 3GB w/Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, EVGA 600w Bronze PSU, Mid tower case w/3x 120mm fans, LG DVD Burner, 1TB 7200RPM 64MB HDD, Windows 8 Pro, LITE-ON Keyboard, and 2.4GHz 1600 DPI Wireless gaming mouse =$590)

#100 Edited by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

Posts like the one above just prove that most pc gamers arent very intelligent