Can Wii run it? Part. 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts

Another day brings another "Can Wii run it" thread. I decided to take a short brake from PS2 and Xbox games and decided to step it up a little bit. Todays game is Portal on the PS3, Xbox360, and PC. This awsome game was part of the orange box and now it sells on its own for pc. The Conduit(spelling?) looks pretty impressive in the graphics department for a wii game so im sure the graphics wouldnt be a problem. If this game were to come out on wii the way it is would it need a downgrade or run nicely? Can the wii tech run it? etc, etc. Let the debate begin. have fun. heres some pics. (I would also like to thank the people giving me ideas for my threads)

Mastergamer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Mastergamer27
Member since 2007 • 582 Posts
Yes, but it would be a downgrade.
Ace132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ace132
Member since 2008 • 1515 Posts
portal? no
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
in 480p... yeah it should run it.
Dr_Jones1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dr_Jones1
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts
Definitely not!
ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts
I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
I sure it can.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
It would prob be full of jaggies but sure i bet it can.
Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

Portal would run quite well on Wii. The primary mechanic is maintaining velocity with respect to the relative planes of portal entrances/exits, and the implications of being able to teleport and change the axis of your velocity or that of an object or projectile in a standard gravity. As brilliant and profound as this is in a design sense, it boils down to three quick calculations.

1. Replace the "location" value of the player with the location of the destination portal.

2. Compare the plane angle of the surfaces that the entry/exit portals are embedded in to derive a value for axial rotation.

3. Transform the "velocity" value of the player by the axial rotation.

None of this is really performance intensive. Now, drawing the view through the portals is a slightly more demanding trick, but the Wii is more than capable - see for example the jumbotron display in the Pokemon stadium stages in Melee and Brawl, which will frequently display itself nested at least twice at a solid 60fps.

tl;dr - Portal doesn't have enough in-game objects to really slow down the Wii, and its portals are accomplished with straightforward math that is completely within Wii's capabilities.

pro-nathan-07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pro-nathan-07
Member since 2007 • 1591 Posts
hell to the no
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
My EEE PC can run Portal. Im sure the wii can.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9165 Posts

Portal would run quite well on Wii. The primary mechanic is maintaining velocity with respect to the relative planes of portal entrances/exits, and the implications of being able to teleport and change the axis of your velocity or that of an object or projectile in a standard gravity. As brilliant and profound as this is in a design sense, it boils down to three quick calculations.

1. Replace the "location" value of the player with the location of the destination portal.

2. Compare the plane angle of the surfaces that the entry/exit portals are embedded in to derive a value for axial rotation.

None of this is really performance intensive. Now, drawing the view through the portals is a slightly more demanding trick, but the Wii is more than capable - see for example the jumbotron display in the Pokemon stadium stages in Melee and Brawl, which will frequently display itself nested at least twice at a solid 60fps.

tl;dr - Portal doesn't have enough in-game objects to really slow down the Wii, and its portals are accomplished with straightforward math that is completely within Wii's capabilities.

Iyethar

and with that i claim /thread

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

3. Transform the "velocity" value of the player by the axial rotation.Iyethar

Actually they probably just calculate a new velocity vector and lerp or slerp from the old velocity to the new one, but I'm just being pedantic and nerdy. :P

I don't really see anything either that would keep the gameplay itself off the Wii.

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lolkie_81
Member since 2008 • 2004 Posts

I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.ukillwegrill

Proof? So far other then specs, we have not seen it.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loco145

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.lolkie_81

Huh?

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.lolkie_81

... valve themselves said they ported the source engine to the wii a while back.
lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lolkie_81
[QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.loco145

Huh?

I was talking about being more powerful then the xbox1.

redmetal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 redmetal86
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts

Iyethar

now this is what i like to see. a logical explanation

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 loco145
[QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

Huh?

The box can't Handle Re4 like the GC did... The only thing that it had over the cube was the Vaseline filter that made everything looks like plastic. Anyeay, MP3 and SMG are ahead of anything that the box did.
lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lolkie_81
[QUOTE="lolkie_81"][QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.loco145

Huh?

The box can't Handle Re4 like the GC did... The only thing that it had over the cube was the Vaseline filter that made everything looks like plastic. Anyeay, MP3 and SMG are ahead of anything that the box did.

IMO, NGB looks better then both of those games.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 loco145

lolkie_81

Huh? You mean aesthetically? or Technically?

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lolkie_81
[QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

loco145

[QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

loco145

Technically, I loved SMG art style but it looked bad in some places.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 loco145
[QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

lolkie_81

[QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

loco145

Technically, I loved SMG art style but it looked bad in some places.

And NGB didnt? Just compare the stuff that SMG is doing all at impecable 60fps, or Re4 at 30 for that matter with the close corridors and rooms of NGB, with its low res textures...
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="lolkie_81"][QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="lolkie_81"]

Huh?

vs

Ninja Gaiden Black Xbox Screenshot

This is coming from soneone who has played both and has beaten both...SMG looks better.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Yes, Source runs on the Wii. However it wouldn't be able to run at maximum settings on the updated Source Engine.

At least this was a better question to ask, the others were all too obvious.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 loco145
Yes, Source runs on the Wii. However it wouldn't be able to run at maximum settings on the updated Source Engine.

Saturos3091
Well, not even the PS3 could handle the lastest SourceEngine build ;)
punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 punkrocker163

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]Yes, Source runs on the Wii. However it wouldn't be able to run at maximum settings on the updated Source Engine.

loco145
Well, not even the PS3 could handle the lastest SourceEngine build ;)

says who? lol (and i hope your not talking about that garbage EA port of orange box)

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts
I'm pretty sure it cant due to the portals themselves, in order to see the area through the portals the game has to render several different areas at once, a process that wasn't seen in last gen games, and if so not to the extent of that in portal. Being able to see where your going to land etc.. is a crucial game mechanic for portal. The Wii can probably run a scaled version of the source engine but not portal.
TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts
it's funny, my old laptop could run every game that was on last gen consoles that was either ported or already multiplat on pc. but when i installed portal it seamed to run fine but once i ran through a portal the game would crash. i guess the duo core couldnt handle the calculations or something.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
a downgraded version i think so
agentzero23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 agentzero23
Member since 2008 • 921 Posts

No way

;)

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
I feel like im having thread deja vu
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Eazily. Yet there is no Portal for the wii, so it doesn't really matter.
BudsMcGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BudsMcGreen
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts

I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.ukillwegrill

First off the Source 2.0 engine is made for HI-DEF systems. The Wii is not that system. Second, the Source 2.0 engine was not run on the Xbox. Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Xbox was a DOWNGRADED VERSION OF SOURCE 1.0. Third, the Wii is not as powerful as the Xbox. Otherwise you would see games as technicaly demanding as KOTOR,Forza, Jade Empire,or Halo 2 on the Wii. But you don't. Just my opinion though.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.BudsMcGreen

First off the Source 2.0 engine is made for HI-DEF systems. The Wii is not that system. Second, the Source 2.0 engine was not run on the Xbox. Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Xbox was a DOWNGRADED VERSION OF SOURCE 1.0. Third, the Wii is not as powerful as the Xbox. Otherwise you would see games as technicaly demanding as KOTOR,Forza, Jade Empire,or Halo 2 on the Wii. But you don't. Just my opinion though.

trust me...metroid prime 3 looks better than halo 2 easily
Il_Exile_lI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Il_Exile_lI
Member since 2008 • 516 Posts
[QUOTE="BudsMcGreen"]

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.Shinobishyguy

I wouldn't say easily, but it is debatable.

dgroundwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dgroundwater
Member since 2005 • 924 Posts
The only thing i can think of that would bother me is the lack of Anti-Aliasing the Wii version would have. All the smoothly rounded turrets, cubes, cameras, and the Portal Device, would probably suffer a little of the jaggies. Still, i think it would run smoothly and is a good fit!
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no it cant it would look terrible
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#40 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

whats downgrade to you?

a downgraded version i think soNSR34GTR

RingX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RingX5
Member since 2007 • 228 Posts
Errr this is thw wrost "Can the Wii run it" yet, just because there is no way in hell umless theres some CRAZY downgrade to the original game...
BudsMcGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BudsMcGreen
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="BudsMcGreen"]

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.Il_Exile_lI

Metroid Prime 3 pretty much tries to be Nintendo's Halo but falls short. Auto-lock and fudged controls don't do it for me, though. Looks good for a last-gen game but lacks bump-mapping, where even Halo 1 excels at it. Oh, and the multiplayer in MP3 is poo.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Il_Exile_lI"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="BudsMcGreen"]

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.BudsMcGreen

Metroid Prime 3 pretty much tries to be Nintendo's Halo but falls short. Auto-lock and fudged controls don't do it for me, though. Looks good for a last-gen game but lacks bump-mapping, where even Halo 1 excels at it. Oh, and the multiplayer in MP3 is poo.

there is no multiplayer in MP3.

Way to show that you never played the damn game :roll:

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 punkrocker163

Errr this is thw wrost "Can the Wii run it" yet, just because there is no way in hell umless theres some CRAZY downgrade to the original game...RingX5

sorry to let you down. i felt like doing a change from last gen games but im going back to it.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I think so, it wouldn't look as fancy as it's counterparts though. Which should be quite obvious.
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

yeah probably

hl2 was on xbox

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
[QUOTE="Il_Exile_lI"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="BudsMcGreen"]

hahahaha... I dont even know where to start...

BudsMcGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BudsMcGreen
[QUOTE="BudsMcGreen"][QUOTE="Il_Exile_lI"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="BudsMcGreen"]

[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]I think the Wii can run the Source 2.0 engine. The Original Xbox could, and the Wii is somewhat more powerful.Shinobishyguy

there is no multiplayer in MP3.

Way to show that you never played the damn game :roll:

Sorry, I confused it with the previous Metroid Prime. Yeah, no multiplayer is pretty weak IMO.