Can we really blame japanese devs for westernizing their games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by j_assassin (908 posts) -
Should japanese devs just stick to their japanese style games just like previous gens or should they carry on trying to Westernize their games? I mean this gen, the japanese devs fail so hard on trying to appeal to western audience (with a few exception like vanquish etc) whats you guys opinion on this topic?
#2 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Video game devs are a business first and gamers second. I don't blame any of their decisions if they feel it will maximize profits. If you don't like it, you can speak with your wallet.
#3 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Video game devs are a business first and gamers second. I don't blame any of their decisions if they feel it will maximize profits. If you don't like it, you can speak with your wallet.tagyhag

Word.

#4 Posted by TheEroica (13706 posts) -
I think that every dev should make AAAA games with every new release, and i dont care where they live or what they need to do.
#5 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9821 posts) -
westernization of japanese games can be a good thing. If this is a veiled anti-RE6 thread then I'll just say that RE6's problems aren't that its westernized. If they wanted to make Uncharted Evil 6 then fine, but they just did an awful job of it. Look at Atlus, who created Demon's Souls by adding western style gameplay to their own sensibilities. Btw, imo western games> japanese games so it's hardly something I'll cry for. (the exception being Nintendo. My favorite dev)
#6 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

I think that every dev should make AAAA games with every new release, and i dont care where they live or what they need to do.TheEroica

Word.

#7 Posted by j_assassin (908 posts) -
Well obviously they prioritize the sales first than quality and passion for making games, but theyre games and reputation are slowly going downhill, they would probably make a little profit now (for some devs, because some tried for western style and failed) but it might be bad for gaming and their company in the long run
#9 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

i think there has been a western feel in alot of japanese games before this gen

#10 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

i think there has been a western feel in alot of japanese games before this gen

almasdeathchild
Word
#11 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9821 posts) -
Well obviously they prioritize the sales first than quality and passion for making games, but theyre games and reputation are slowly going downhill, they would probably make a little profit now (for some devs, because some tried for western style and failed) but it might be bad for gaming and their company in the long runj_assassin
dude, Japanese devs have been focusing on the "art" of games for years. They moved their focus away from sales and look at wha'ts happened. High sales does not equal a bad game. It means people are willing to buy it because they have a fun time with it. In Japan, games are/were made by self-annointed genius artists. They pumped up the egos of people like Sakamoto and Kitase. Meanwhile in the west games are made by committee and the people in charge are the first ones to spread around the credit to the teams under them. Western devs put priority on the consumer, not the artist. The sad thing is that many people love those "under appreciated" Japanese games. Imo they can only do so by looking past the glaring, deep flaws in what they make
#12 Posted by Krelian-co (11181 posts) -

let the japanesse do their things, they had the most amazing games back then and i still think they can make awesome games if they didn't care so much for westernization crap

#13 Posted by j_assassin (908 posts) -
When exactly did they move their focus away from sales? from what i notice this gen (not all), japanese games are all about how to make a game that would sell in america
#14 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

I can't remember a generation where we didn't have Japanese games with Western-themes. It's not some new trend of this generation.

Contra, Metal Gear, ActRaiser, Castlevania, Resident Evil, etc etc all take place in Western settings, they contain lots of action, shooting, violence, and all that good stuff.

#15 Posted by General_X (9031 posts) -
I don't care as long as the game is good and fun, but Japanese games that try to be westernized often fail hard in those categories because they try to do what they THINK western gamers want, but miss the mark on why western gamers find said traits fun.
#16 Posted by j_assassin (908 posts) -

I can't remember a generation where we didn't have Japanese games with Western-themes. It's not some new trend of this generation.

Contra, Metal Gear, ActRaiser, Castlevania, Resident Evil, etc etc all take place in Western settings, they contain lots of action, shooting, violence, and all that good stuff.

Ly_the_Fairy
You know im talking about mostly about gameplay, camera angles...
#17 Posted by hippiesanta (9892 posts) -
most japanese kids nowadays think they parents born with blonde hair.
#18 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Well clearly they havent westernized enough, seeing how alot of Japanese games, aside from first party Nintendo and Sony games, sell poorly outside of Japan, or never make it out of Japan for that matter.

#19 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

j_assassin

You know im talking about mostly about gameplay, camera angles...

Gameplay like shooting which the Japanese have been masters of for the last 25 years.

And I didn't know camera angles were region-exclusive until now.

#20 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
They made them so yes I blame them, Capcom in particular.
#21 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

I liked the Japanese games simply for a different feel. Now they want to make more money so they attract western gamers by making similar games. I think it's a mistake. I miss my japanese style games.

#22 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Nope, really speaking they don't even have to do that much, just maybe use characters that may appeal to western gamers? No one really complains about the craziness in MGS.

#23 Posted by KungfuKitten (21132 posts) -

Question. If Japanese devs would improve their games wouldn't you automatically be calling that westernizing?

#25 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
westernization of japanese games can be a good thing. If this is a veiled anti-RE6 thread then I'll just say that RE6's problems aren't that its westernized. If they wanted to make Uncharted Evil 6 then fine, but they just did an awful job of it. Look at Atlus, who created Demon's Souls by adding western style gameplay to their own sensibilities. Btw, imo western games> japanese games so it's hardly something I'll cry for. (the exception being Nintendo. My favorite dev)GunSmith1_basic
Atlus didn't create Demon's Souls that was From Software BTW.
#26 Posted by funsohng (28105 posts) -
I don't blame them. I just pity them for being so stupid for not actually getting what the people want, and continue focusing on playing good games regardless of their style or origin.
#27 Posted by funsohng (28105 posts) -

What Jap developers westernized their games ? o.O I still see constant anime ecchi upskirt games all the time... they just don't get localized over here because we have a certain uncensored thing for free on the internet, so there's no need to get horny with those anime echi boobs upskirt games.

Joedgabe
Jap is a derogatory term for Japanese. It's probably better for people not to use them. Short for Japanese is JPN.
#28 Posted by Bigboi500 (30012 posts) -

Based on the results of Capcom doing it, hell yes, we can blame them. Just stick to what they're good at, and don't be like what Capcom has become.