Can we all agree that ACIV is a better sandbox than GTAV?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

Lets look at the facts, ACIV is a HUGE game with a myriad of different activities to partake in like harpooning, hunting, diving for treasure, battling ships on the open sea, crafting new gear, upgrading your ship, boarding and plundering ships, collecting sea shanties, finding treasure, using treasure maps to find buried treasure, side missions, assassination missions, privateering missions, collecting Animus Shards, board games to play

...and a huge ocean to explore with many islands to discover each with their own secrets.

And overall mission variety in which missions feel like part of the sandbox rather than Call of Duty segments like GTAV

I'd say it outclasses GTAV easily in the sandbox category. (Plus it has a multiplayer mode that actually works)

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

I think so. I tried playing GTA5, and I just couldn't get into it. It was so soulless and mechanical, it was so boring. Rockstar has clearly lost sight of what made GTA so great to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly accomplished technically speaking. But AC4 was more fun, and that's why I play games, and that is what mattered to me in the end.

#3 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Man idk, that's a tough one. Both are great games. I'm curious though TC, have you been having online issues still with GTA V Online? I personally haven't, at least on the 360 version.

#4 Posted by jg4xchamp (47396 posts) -

No.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

Man idk, that's a tough one. Both are great games. I'm curious though TC, have you been having online issues still with GTA V Online? I personally haven't, at least on the 360 version.

Congratulations on becoming a mod!

#6 Posted by Basinboy (11059 posts) -

ACIV, from what I've played, is good. Takes me back to how good AC2 felt (Ezio Vercetti notwithstanding)

I've yet to touch GTAV. Busy with backlog, plus I'm holding out for the PC version (fingers crossed)

#7 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

Congratulations on becoming a mod!

Appreciate it man!

#8 Posted by darkspineslayer (19551 posts) -

Yeah, unless ACIV ever has me doing fucking QTEs for fucking Yoga. I'll snap the disk in half if that happens.

#9 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (3014 posts) -

Good lord no.

#10 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Yeah, unless ACIV ever has me doing fucking QTEs for fucking Yoga. I'll snap the disk in half if that happens.

Bahaha, ok that's funny. Maybe I should reconsider my previous response about it being a tough choice between the two.

#11 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

The online part was mostly a joke lol, but I don't enjoy either games online.

#12 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

The online part was mostly a joke lol, but I don't enjoy either games online.

GTA Online can be frustrating for sure. Especially when people decide to randomly kill you 34.78 times an hour because they are bored. I've yet to play AC online, but previous ones have really made me apathetic towards it.

#13 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Agreed. I have put over 50 hours into ACIV single player so far(only 60 percent completion). Played GTA5 for about 5 hours before selling it on eBay.

#14 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

More proof gamers are clueless. A sandbox game is something like Minecraft. Its gives players the tools to modify the world. These are open world. Not the same thing, sweethearts.

#15 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

More proof gamers are clueless. A sandbox game is something like Minecraft. Its gives players the tools to modify the world. These are open world. Not the same thing, sweethearts.

I think most people knew what he meant and just moved on. But you're correct.

#16 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

We knew that, but thanks for you condescending remarks.

#17 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6007 posts) -

GTA5 was strictly 'meh.' GTA Online, however, is the best entry in the series to date. They'd mopped up all of the launch issues by the middle of October, and it's been total ice cream ever since.

AC3 let me down so badly that I've since sworn off the series. And the multiplayer mode hasn't been worth playing since Brotherhood.

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (7179 posts) -

I like GTA5 just fine, but for my money AC4 beats it in about every regard, save gunplay. GTA's story is also better in my opinion, but I've never played AC games for their story.

#19 Posted by wis3boi (31118 posts) -
#20 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (921 posts) -

Most of the things in the op can be done in GTA5, they aren't sandbox games.

#21 Edited by Netret0120 (2037 posts) -

That's actually a tough choice.

I have played both games alot in the past 2 months and i have enjoyed both immensely.

GTA5 was fantastic because i can relate to it more. From driving a crap car to driving a nice one makes me feel like i went from Rags to riches. There was a tonne to do aswell besides main missions which increased the length of the game.

AC4 is addictively fun though. I sometimes find myself attacking ships for hours on end and collecting items. This is my 1st AC game too.

I think both games are fantastic but if i were to choose the better pick em up and play it's AC4. But the overall better game is GTA5 because of GTA online

#22 Posted by HitmanActual (329 posts) -

I am surprised how much I am enjoying AC IV, especially after that piece of shit AC III made me quite sceptical. GTA V was nothing great at all, I was glad to finish the story and have never played it since.

#23 Posted by freedomfreak (39211 posts) -

Saints Row IV is better than both.

#24 Posted by mems_1224 (46586 posts) -

You never go full Phazon

#25 Edited by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

Absolutely, and I haven't even played ACIV.

#26 Posted by DocSanchez (1566 posts) -

"We" can't all agree that water is wet but I for one preferred AC IV.

#27 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2423 posts) -

Of course not

#28 Edited by mems_1224 (46586 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

I think so. I tried playing GTA5, and I just couldn't get into it. It was so soulless and mechanical, it was so boring. Rockstar has clearly lost sight of what made GTA so great to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly accomplished technically speaking. But AC4 was more fun, and that's why I play games, and that is what mattered to me in the end.

Yea, except for when you have to do a main story mission in AC4. Holy shit, AC4 probably has the absolute worst missions in an open world game ever. Whoever thought stealth boat was a good idea can go f*** themselves and should never be allowed near a game ever again.

That said, AC4 was a pretty big step back in the right direction for the franchise. And as tedious as some of the driving was in GTA towards the end, it doesn't come close to being as bad as all those main story missions I rated 1 star.

#29 Posted by silversix_ (14083 posts) -

No, Ass Creed is Ubi and Ubi is poop

#30 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16129 posts) -

Both games have bad sandboxes. The fun part about these games is the story, but as soon as that's over, I immediately start playing something else.

#31 Posted by mems_1224 (46586 posts) -

Both games have bad sandboxes. The fun part about these games is the story, but as soon as that's over, I immediately start playing something else.

Thats how I feel about pretty much every open world game now. Its just not fun to rack up a 5 star wanted level and run for 30 minutes or screw around with the world anymore. Im over that. All I care about is the story and how fun the missions are and GTA5 easily stomps AC4 in that area.

#32 Edited by narutosup (1571 posts) -

Open world pirate game > GTA Rehash

#33 Edited by PAL360 (26725 posts) -

No, but AC4's sea exploration and combat is incredible!

Unfortunatly, like any AC game and Farcry 3, there is no sense of exploration. You know where any object and crate is by being a few meters from it, or just by looking at your map. The parkour gameplay of the series also provide as cool moments as frustrating ones, and i still hate Abstergo sequences in the series.

Other than that, it's a fantastic pirate game!

#34 Posted by TheEroica (13315 posts) -

Honestly, when push came to shove, as much as I think there is some really great presentation and better moments in gta5, AC4 was/is the better sandbox game.... Putting the controller down in ac4 is something I struggled with mightily.

#35 Posted by lamprey263 (23194 posts) -

naval battles are cool and all, but strippers take the cake

#36 Posted by Suppaman100 (3777 posts) -

Calling GTA 5 soulless? Lol wot?

Boring? LOL

Well it's a sandbox game, that means you need some creative thinking capacaties outside of the missions to make it "fun". But if you're only used to linear crap like pokemon and mario, I understand that such a task, could be hard for some people.

#37 Posted by AtariKidX (6211 posts) -

i agree...........ACIV is better.

#38 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25598 posts) -

Are the "myriad of different activities" actually fun though? Ubisoft open world games tend to go overboard with checklist-filling menial tasks.

#39 Edited by Desmonic (13444 posts) -

"Can we all agree (...)"

No.

#40 Edited by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

First reply mirrors my own thoughts, so yes TC I agree with you.

#41 Edited by Sushiglutton (5226 posts) -

Yeah I think the world in AC4 offers more fun gameplay than the world in GTA5.

In AC4 there are several stealth playgrounds: smuggler's coves, plantations, guarded areas from the main missions. Then there is naval with plunder, legendary ships and forts. To me most of these activities are fun to do (for a while at least).

In GTA you can play around with various vehicles which gets old super fast (excepti downhill with the BMX :) ). Detection is stupid since it has nothing to do with you being spotted comitting a crime or not. So most of the things you do in the world just ends up with the same police chase. It's fun, but I would have prefered if you could do burglary, robbery etc in the open world in smart, stealthy ways. There ara a couple of guarded areas like the military base and the prison. However these are not fun to play around with since you get insta spotted and then have to deal with a lot of firepower.

So AC4 wins because it has more meaningful ways to have fun with the game's core mechanics.

#42 Posted by TheEroica (13315 posts) -

Are the "myriad of different activities" actually fun though? Ubisoft open world games tend to go overboard with checklist-filling menial tasks.

In this case I'd say yes... The Open Sea piece is an entire game in and of itself... and it is HIGHLY enjoyable. The whaling/fishing is enjoyable, yet it serves little purpose after your done crafting and creating outfits. The deep sea diving has it's moments of irritation, though it is far more fleshed out than I though it would be...

Thing is, there is so much to do on land, at sea and well... under the sea, that you are constantly surrounded and engaged in activities outside the main story. Just as an example, I've spent more time managing my fleet, clearing trading paths, acquiring ships and looting resources than any and all of the side activities in GTA combined...

Where I'd applaud R* for creating side distractions that DON"t connect or augment to the main story, I'd applaud Ubi for creating ones that do...

#43 Edited by c_smithii (1440 posts) -

Saints Row 4 was a better game than GTA5, so being better than GTA5 is not much of a feat.

#44 Posted by bezza2011 (2384 posts) -

GTA5 had a good story, but a fast and meaningless story to be fair, 1 true heist and that was it, the first jewellery story was the only real one you had an actual involvement in doing, the rest were already planned out and the last one wow it was a walk in the park,

This is exactly right in my view, I mean san andreas topped it back in the day that is what the people wanted in terms of the ultimate GTA, so many activities which actually felt like they should be there. i mean robbing houses at night is a prime example, GTA should of built on the crime aspect, thats what we all wanted, robbing houses gaining respect going up the criminal ladder is what i wanted out of a game like this but by the time ps3 came along GTA lost it's way for me, and now we have ended up with a game with QTE yoga lol golf and tennis and to top it off the best they could come up with was a triathlon lol i mean honestly really a crime sim open world and you wanted to add a triathlon lol it's a joke.

Saints Row 2 was probably the best well rounded open world gang land game there is for current gen.

on topic i hate AC series i played 2 but really i grinded through it to finish it, but AC4 is good but it's only good because of the setting to be fair, the combat is to be desired it's very repetitive, but yes i like AC4 over gta and i find myself wanting to find stuff in AC4 than in GTA5 i finished the story and that was it.

#45 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6967 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

"Can we all agree (...)"

No.

I agree.

#46 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

You never go full Phazon

Phazon, not even once.

#47 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23532 posts) -

can we all agree that when we see a can we all agree topic it is some minority viewpoint held by 3 guys on system wars and in places where glue is sniffed as a way to pass the time?

#48 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

can we all agree that when we see a can we all agree topic it is some minority viewpoint held by 3 guys on system wars and in places where glue is sniffed as a way to pass the time?

I can agree with this.

#49 Posted by heretrix (37319 posts) -

I played GTA V for more than 60 hours before I got tired of it. I was already tired of AC4 within 5 hours.

They really need to do something about their mission structure. That said, the stuff in the ocean was pretty cool. I need to get back to it at some point but I having too much fun with Saint's Row 4 which I think is much more fun than either game.

#50 Posted by sukraj (22161 posts) -

me love gta v