Can we all agree that ACIV is a better sandbox than GTAV?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Lets look at the facts, ACIV is a HUGE game with a myriad of different activities to partake in like harpooning, hunting, diving for treasure, battling ships on the open sea, crafting new gear, upgrading your ship, boarding and plundering ships, collecting sea shanties, finding treasure, using treasure maps to find buried treasure, side missions, assassination missions, privateering missions, collecting Animus Shards, board games to play

...and a huge ocean to explore with many islands to discover each with their own secrets.

And overall mission variety in which missions feel like part of the sandbox rather than Call of Duty segments like GTAV

I'd say it outclasses GTAV easily in the sandbox category. (Plus it has a multiplayer mode that actually works)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think so. I tried playing GTA5, and I just couldn't get into it. It was so soulless and mechanical, it was so boring. Rockstar has clearly lost sight of what made GTA so great to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly accomplished technically speaking. But AC4 was more fun, and that's why I play games, and that is what mattered to me in the end.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Man idk, that's a tough one. Both are great games. I'm curious though TC, have you been having online issues still with GTA V Online? I personally haven't, at least on the 360 version.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@WadeFan said:

Man idk, that's a tough one. Both are great games. I'm curious though TC, have you been having online issues still with GTA V Online? I personally haven't, at least on the 360 version.

Congratulations on becoming a mod!

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

ACIV, from what I've played, is good. Takes me back to how good AC2 felt (Ezio Vercetti notwithstanding)

I've yet to touch GTAV. Busy with backlog, plus I'm holding out for the PC version (fingers crossed)

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 applefan1991  Moderator

@charizard1605 said:

@WadeFan said:

Congratulations on becoming a mod!

Appreciate it man!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Yeah, unless ACIV ever has me doing fucking QTEs for fucking Yoga. I'll snap the disk in half if that happens.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Good lord no.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 applefan1991  Moderator

@darkspineslayer said:

Yeah, unless ACIV ever has me doing fucking QTEs for fucking Yoga. I'll snap the disk in half if that happens.

Bahaha, ok that's funny. Maybe I should reconsider my previous response about it being a tough choice between the two.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PhazonBlazer

@WadeFan said:

The online part was mostly a joke lol, but I don't enjoy either games online.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 applefan1991  Moderator

@PhazonBlazer said:

@WadeFan said:

The online part was mostly a joke lol, but I don't enjoy either games online.

GTA Online can be frustrating for sure. Especially when people decide to randomly kill you 34.78 times an hour because they are bored. I've yet to play AC online, but previous ones have really made me apathetic towards it.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Agreed. I have put over 50 hours into ACIV single player so far(only 60 percent completion). Played GTA5 for about 5 hours before selling it on eBay.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

More proof gamers are clueless. A sandbox game is something like Minecraft. Its gives players the tools to modify the world. These are open world. Not the same thing, sweethearts.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 applefan1991  Moderator

@millerlight89 said:

More proof gamers are clueless. A sandbox game is something like Minecraft. Its gives players the tools to modify the world. These are open world. Not the same thing, sweethearts.

I think most people knew what he meant and just moved on. But you're correct.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

We knew that, but thanks for you condescending remarks.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

GTA5 was strictly 'meh.' GTA Online, however, is the best entry in the series to date. They'd mopped up all of the launch issues by the middle of October, and it's been total ice cream ever since.

AC3 let me down so badly that I've since sworn off the series. And the multiplayer mode hasn't been worth playing since Brotherhood.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

No.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

Most of the things in the op can be done in GTA5, they aren't sandbox games.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

That's actually a tough choice.

I have played both games alot in the past 2 months and i have enjoyed both immensely.

GTA5 was fantastic because i can relate to it more. From driving a crap car to driving a nice one makes me feel like i went from Rags to riches. There was a tonne to do aswell besides main missions which increased the length of the game.

AC4 is addictively fun though. I sometimes find myself attacking ships for hours on end and collecting items. This is my 1st AC game too.

I think both games are fantastic but if i were to choose the better pick em up and play it's AC4. But the overall better game is GTA5 because of GTA online

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I am surprised how much I am enjoying AC IV, especially after that piece of shit AC III made me quite sceptical. GTA V was nothing great at all, I was glad to finish the story and have never played it since.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Saints Row IV is better than both.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

You never go full Phazon

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Absolutely, and I haven't even played ACIV.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

"We" can't all agree that water is wet but I for one preferred AC IV.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Of course not

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224

@charizard1605 said:

I think so. I tried playing GTA5, and I just couldn't get into it. It was so soulless and mechanical, it was so boring. Rockstar has clearly lost sight of what made GTA so great to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly accomplished technically speaking. But AC4 was more fun, and that's why I play games, and that is what mattered to me in the end.

Yea, except for when you have to do a main story mission in AC4. Holy shit, AC4 probably has the absolute worst missions in an open world game ever. Whoever thought stealth boat was a good idea can go f*** themselves and should never be allowed near a game ever again.

That said, AC4 was a pretty big step back in the right direction for the franchise. And as tedious as some of the driving was in GTA towards the end, it doesn't come close to being as bad as all those main story missions I rated 1 star.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

No, Ass Creed is Ubi and Ubi is poop

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Both games have bad sandboxes. The fun part about these games is the story, but as soon as that's over, I immediately start playing something else.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224

@JangoWuzHere said:

Both games have bad sandboxes. The fun part about these games is the story, but as soon as that's over, I immediately start playing something else.

Thats how I feel about pretty much every open world game now. Its just not fun to rack up a 5 star wanted level and run for 30 minutes or screw around with the world anymore. Im over that. All I care about is the story and how fun the missions are and GTA5 easily stomps AC4 in that area.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

Open world pirate game > GTA Rehash

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No, but AC4's sea exploration and combat is incredible!

Unfortunatly, like any AC game and Farcry 3, there is no sense of exploration. You know where any object and crate is by being a few meters from it, or just by looking at your map. The parkour gameplay of the series also provide as cool moments as frustrating ones, and i still hate Abstergo sequences in the series.

Other than that, it's a fantastic pirate game!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22630 Posts

Honestly, when push came to shove, as much as I think there is some really great presentation and better moments in gta5, AC4 was/is the better sandbox game.... Putting the controller down in ac4 is something I struggled with mightily.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44545 Posts

naval battles are cool and all, but strippers take the cake

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Calling GTA 5 soulless? Lol wot?

Boring? LOL

Well it's a sandbox game, that means you need some creative thinking capacaties outside of the missions to make it "fun". But if you're only used to linear crap like pokemon and mario, I understand that such a task, could be hard for some people.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

i agree...........ACIV is better.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Are the "myriad of different activities" actually fun though? Ubisoft open world games tend to go overboard with checklist-filling menial tasks.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

First reply mirrors my own thoughts, so yes TC I agree with you.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Yeah I think the world in AC4 offers more fun gameplay than the world in GTA5.

In AC4 there are several stealth playgrounds: smuggler's coves, plantations, guarded areas from the main missions. Then there is naval with plunder, legendary ships and forts. To me most of these activities are fun to do (for a while at least).

In GTA you can play around with various vehicles which gets old super fast (excepti downhill with the BMX :) ). Detection is stupid since it has nothing to do with you being spotted comitting a crime or not. So most of the things you do in the world just ends up with the same police chase. It's fun, but I would have prefered if you could do burglary, robbery etc in the open world in smart, stealthy ways. There ara a couple of guarded areas like the military base and the prison. However these are not fun to play around with since you get insta spotted and then have to deal with a lot of firepower.

So AC4 wins because it has more meaningful ways to have fun with the game's core mechanics.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22630 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Are the "myriad of different activities" actually fun though? Ubisoft open world games tend to go overboard with checklist-filling menial tasks.

In this case I'd say yes... The Open Sea piece is an entire game in and of itself... and it is HIGHLY enjoyable. The whaling/fishing is enjoyable, yet it serves little purpose after your done crafting and creating outfits. The deep sea diving has it's moments of irritation, though it is far more fleshed out than I though it would be...

Thing is, there is so much to do on land, at sea and well... under the sea, that you are constantly surrounded and engaged in activities outside the main story. Just as an example, I've spent more time managing my fleet, clearing trading paths, acquiring ships and looting resources than any and all of the side activities in GTA combined...

Where I'd applaud R* for creating side distractions that DON"t connect or augment to the main story, I'd applaud Ubi for creating ones that do...

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

Saints Row 4 was a better game than GTA5, so being better than GTA5 is not much of a feat.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

GTA5 had a good story, but a fast and meaningless story to be fair, 1 true heist and that was it, the first jewellery story was the only real one you had an actual involvement in doing, the rest were already planned out and the last one wow it was a walk in the park,

@charizard1605 said:

This is exactly right in my view, I mean san andreas topped it back in the day that is what the people wanted in terms of the ultimate GTA, so many activities which actually felt like they should be there. i mean robbing houses at night is a prime example, GTA should of built on the crime aspect, thats what we all wanted, robbing houses gaining respect going up the criminal ladder is what i wanted out of a game like this but by the time ps3 came along GTA lost it's way for me, and now we have ended up with a game with QTE yoga lol golf and tennis and to top it off the best they could come up with was a triathlon lol i mean honestly really a crime sim open world and you wanted to add a triathlon lol it's a joke.

Saints Row 2 was probably the best well rounded open world gang land game there is for current gen.

on topic i hate AC series i played 2 but really i grinded through it to finish it, but AC4 is good but it's only good because of the setting to be fair, the combat is to be desired it's very repetitive, but yes i like AC4 over gta and i find myself wanting to find stuff in AC4 than in GTA5 i finished the story and that was it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#45 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Desmonic said:

"Can we all agree (...)"

No.

I agree.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PhazonBlazer

@mems_1224 said:

You never go full Phazon

Phazon, not even once.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

can we all agree that when we see a can we all agree topic it is some minority viewpoint held by 3 guys on system wars and in places where glue is sniffed as a way to pass the time?

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PhazonBlazer

@Riverwolf007 said:

can we all agree that when we see a can we all agree topic it is some minority viewpoint held by 3 guys on system wars and in places where glue is sniffed as a way to pass the time?

I can agree with this.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I played GTA V for more than 60 hours before I got tired of it. I was already tired of AC4 within 5 hours.

They really need to do something about their mission structure. That said, the stuff in the ocean was pretty cool. I need to get back to it at some point but I having too much fun with Saint's Row 4 which I think is much more fun than either game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

me love gta v