Can the WiiU even play DVDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by UNcartMe (632 posts) -

I was just wondering if it can finally play CDs and DVDs directly from the disc drive.

#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (44311 posts) -

Nope.

#3 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

I was just wondering if it can finally play CDs and DVDs directly from the disc drive.

UNcartMe

Nintendo has failed to include these basic features since the Gamecube. Why start now?

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -
Couldn't you google it? Disguised troll thread
#5 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26345 posts) -

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

but they won't actually read your movies because the programing, it will only read Wii games and WiiU games.

but why should any of that actually matter for the WiiU? at this day and age you've got to have some sort of DVD player by now and/or a Bluray player, In my house I probably have 6 devices that can play DVDs or Blurays, Not to mention the WiiU is also a TV remote, with the TVii feature if you have Cable or Satellite you could probably find a movie you want to watch rather quickly, not to mention it having Hulu Plus and Netflix, Watching a Movie on a WiiU isn't hard, it's just not a DVD or Bluray.

Listening to Music on a Game Console was always interesting ever since I found out the PS1 could do that.

But who actually turns on their Game System and listens to music? The only 2 systems to actually figured it out were the Xbox 360 and PC (and iPod to an extent). 

Otherwise, if you're really wanting the WiiU to be able to play DVDs and Blurays, you're probably going to have to wait for Nintendo to add it in some update, or just play the Movie on a seperate system.

#6 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10811 posts) -
No, and I don't even a ****. CDs and DVDs can be played on any of your billion other devices.
#7 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26345 posts) -

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

Timstuff

Nintendo has failed to include these basic features since the Gamecube. Why start now?

at this point, does it even matter?

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

Timstuff

Panasonic Q.
#9 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
I suppose it does add value and you could one product doing the job of two but at the end of the day, does anyone really care? The better question is, will it have N64, GC and Wii like droughts? Sadly, the answer is probably worse.
#10 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Why should it? It's been more than a decade since DVD became a "thing", you should already have a DVD player. A smart person doesn't buy a gaming console to play movies, it can ruin the disc drive.
#11 Posted by darkspineslayer (20423 posts) -
Why does it matter? You obviously have at least 1 system that can play DVDs. Bad troll is bad.
#12 Posted by Tessellation (8843 posts) -
with that user icon i wouldn't take this thread seriously...we all know what is for.
#13 Posted by Pittfan666 (8534 posts) -
DVDs are going bye bye anyway.
#14 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -
with that user icon i wouldn't take this thread seriously...we all know what is for.Tessellation
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29319709/why-are-lems... He made a good thread before
#15 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
to avoid paying royals to people who own blue ray. Nintendo made up their own wann be so called blue ray player.
#16 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

but they won't actually read your movies because the programing, it will only read Wii games and WiiU games.

but why should any of that actually matter for the WiiU? at this day and age you've got to have some sort of DVD player by now and/or a Bluray player, In my house I probably have 6 devices that can play DVDs or Blurays, Not to mention the WiiU is also a TV remote, with the TVii feature if you have Cable or Satellite you could probably find a movie you want to watch rather quickly, not to mention it having Hulu Plus and Netflix, Watching a Movie on a WiiU isn't hard, it's just not a DVD or Bluray.

Listening to Music on a Game Console was always interesting ever since I found out the PS1 could do that.

But who actually turns on their Game System and listens to music? The only 2 systems to actually figured it out were the Xbox 360 and PC (and iPod to an extent). 

Otherwise, if you're really wanting the WiiU to be able to play DVDs and Blurays, you're probably going to have to wait for Nintendo to add it in some update, or just play the Movie on a seperate system.

LegatoSkyheart

why should someone not be able play something has simple as a movie in a device that has a disc player in it? Everything else can but not nintendo... This day in age you shouldn't have to have a product that only does 1 job and is useless

it will NEVER be added in a update or they will have to pay licensing fees. With them saying they make up the cost of loss with only sell of one game. IMO thats pretty sad because who's going buy a console and not a game?

#17 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

MonsieurX

Panasonic Q.

Ah yes, the system that Nintendo was so afraid of that they only allowed Panasonic to manufacture 400k units, and it never released outside of Japan. Sure, that counts! Wait, no, it doesn't.
#18 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo has failed to include these basic features since the Gamecube. Why start now?Timstuff
Panasonic Q.

Ah yes, the system that Nintendo was so afraid of that they only allowed Panasonic to manufacture 400k units, and it never released outside of Japan. Sure, that counts! Wait, no, it doesn't.

Technically,they had a dvd player :P

#19 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

Matters to me. I sold my year-old Blu-ray player on eBay a couple days ago for $80. Never used it because my PS3 replaced it. Profit.

#20 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Matters to me. I sold my year-old Blu-ray player on eBay a couple days ago for $80. Never used it because my PS3 replaced it. Profit.

StrongBlackVine

face palm.... doesn't = profit when you most likely paid more for the blue ray then what you sold

#21 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -
It's a plus when you have it, but it's not a minus when you don't. I don't really care.
#22 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9889 posts) -
it seems like all the wiiu would need to play dvds and even blurays would be the right app. All the tech is there but they didn't want to pay for the licensing for the codecs and such
#23 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

k2theswiss

face palm.... doesn't = profit when you most likely paid more for the blue ray then what you sold

Well it only cost me about $140 or so when I bought about 15 months ago so I still consider that a good deal for something I wasn't using.

#24 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

it seems like all the wiiu would need to play dvds and even blurays would be the right app. All the tech is there but they didn't want to pay for the licensing for the codecs and suchGunSmith1_basic

Nintendo is locking down their hardware out of greed and people act like they are saints.

#25 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]it seems like all the wiiu would need to play dvds and even blurays would be the right app. All the tech is there but they didn't want to pay for the licensing for the codecs and suchStrongBlackVine

Nintendo is locking down their hardware out of greed and people act like they are saints.

Where the f*ck did that come from.
#26 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
the wii u is a dead console. soon it wont even play games
#27 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -
the wii u is a dead console. soon it wont even play games Novotine
:| Are you even trying?
#28 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
[QUOTE="Novotine"]the wii u is a dead console. soon it wont even play games MonsieurX

damage control?
#29 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Really doesn't matter when it has Netflix and Hulu and those other video services,

#30 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="Novotine"]the wii u is a dead console. soon it wont even play games Novotine

damage control?

Nothing to control anyway
#31 Posted by lundy86_4 (44311 posts) -

the wii u is a dead console. soon it wont even play games Novotine

nintendo_cycle_50pct.png

#32 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]it seems like all the wiiu would need to play dvds and even blurays would be the right app. All the tech is there but they didn't want to pay for the licensing for the codecs and suchfunsohng

It seem like people think are wholesome or good because I have never seen any one accuse Nintendo of being a greedy or selfish company, but they lockdown and rig their hardware to make less useful out greed. Sony gets bashed for not wanting a used games market and Microsoft doesn't need any explanation...

#33 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

Really doesn't matter when it has Netflix and Hulu and those other video services,

HaloPimp978

It matters if you want it all in one and WiiU will be the only system you can't watch your Blu-rays on...

#34 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

It seem like people think are wholesome or good because I have never seen any one accuse Nintendo of being a greedy or selfish company, but they lockdown and rig their hardware to make less useful out greed. Sony gets bashed for not wanting a used games market and Microsoft doesn't need any explanation...

Haha, you say Nintendo doesn't get hate around here? You haven't been here long enough. If anything, Valve is like the only company that gets significantly less hate compared to other big ones. Besides, not allowing the selling of your own physical property that you have paid for in full price, is, in my opinion, much worse than not having the ability to play DVDs.
#35 Posted by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

StrongBlackVine

It matters if you want it all in one and WiiU will be the only system you can't watch your Blu-rays on...

I'd rather watch some HD-DVDs
#36 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6745 posts) -
I wouldn't know. I barely turned it on to play games, let alone watch movies.
#37 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

StrongBlackVine

It doesn't effect me I have PS3 has my blu-ray player besides people should already have DVD players.

#38 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

HaloPimp978

It doesn't effect me I have PS3 has my blu-ray player besides people should already have DVD players.

Why would any one still need a DVD player?

#39 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

StrongBlackVine

Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?
#40 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

StrongBlackVine

I was giving an example. Because people want to have a Dvd/Blu-Ray Collection that's why.

#41 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

HaloPimp978
that look and sound nowhere near as good as blu ray.
#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (44311 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

Cranler

This thread is about the DVD fornat.

#43 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

lundy86_4

Threads about the wiiu are usually about something outdated
#44 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -
They would give me 6 DVD players, I'm fine that it oesnt. Comes own to licensing anyways, it's not like it opulent play them.
#45 Posted by lundy86_4 (44311 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] that look and sound nowhere near as good as blu ray. Cranler

Yep, DVD's are outdated.

#46 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

funsohng

Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?

It doesn't matter that it doesn't a have DVD player. It does matter that it can't play Blu-rays. That is the standard for any console or computer. So Nintendo has a subpar piece of equipment, but we already knew that.

#47 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Yep, DVD's are outdated.

I don't see them getting phased out or quite some time.
#48 Posted by lundy86_4 (44311 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] Threads about the wiiu are usually about something outdatedHeil68

Yep, DVD's are outdated.

I don't see them getting phased out or quite some time.

Nobody said they would be phased out. They'll be around for quite a while.

#49 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

LegatoSkyheart

Because it's a pain to have one more thing to hook up to your tv.

#50 Posted by mems_1224 (48569 posts) -
idk, who cares? who still uses dvds when you can stream everything?