Can the PS4/XB1 do disc based BC for 6th gen?

#1 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2478 posts) -

With all the talk of backwards compatibility for consoles, are either of these 2 directly capable of it via direct disc use and patch download?

Or is it impossible due to some function i'm unaware of? Maybe they're not powerfull enough?

#2 Edited by natsm (60 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

With all the talk of backwards compatibility for consoles, are either of these 2 directly capable of it via direct disc use and patch download?

Or is it impossible due to some function i'm unaware of? Maybe they're not powerfull enough?

people want BC in both of the consoles,so i guess it's a no

EDIT: Instead of BC(as you stated,they are not powerful enough),what about remastering the most wanted game in some poll?

#3 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4679 posts) -

x1 might be capable but ms just dont have the time to implement it but ps3 cell is going to be very hard to emulate because its a piece of shit to develop for. thats the good thing about ninty, if their next console is good i will buy it because i can play wiiu games as well. ninty are usually very good with bc

#4 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4812 posts) -

apart from maybe hardware drm or something i'm not sure why exactly it wouldn't be technically possible for the 8th genners to emulate the 6th genners.

but tc i think you're very smart to suggest a lack of power is the culprit. i never thought about it before but you're quite right, these new consoles seem to lack power.

#5 Posted by slaves (1268 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: PS3 is gen 7, TC is asking about the PS2 and OG XBox.

#6 Edited by SecretPolice (22071 posts) -

I would think X1 would easily do Xbox & 360 BC, get on that MS because that would be major awesome sauce.

#7 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@deadline-zero0 said:

For PS3/Xbox360

Yes and no, if there was a patch it would have to be a substantial patch for each game as the code would have to be either rebuilt or recompiled for the x64/APU architecture.

If you are talking about emulation, no, well not at anything close to being playable. Not so much the GPU side of things, but the CPU is nowhere near strong enough to emulate a CPU which is in some cases faster in the PS3 case at certain tasks. The only way to play PS3 games as they are compiled for PPC/CELL is on a CELL chip, people asking for backwards compatibility are asking for their PS4/Xbox Ones to be more expensive which is insane when there would be no advantage over just using your old console.

If you are talking about emulating a PS2 then the PS4 and Xbox One is more than powerful enough to fully emulate it, Xbox (Original) is even easier as it is more or less the same architecture and a very similar OS and kernel (both a NT derivatives) (well on the Xbox One) .

I get cofused by the Gen numberings.

#8 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4679 posts) -

@slaves said:

then the answer would be hell yes. i can emulate ps2 on my pc which is no where near as powerful as ps4 but i dont see the point to this, all the classic hits got a hd remake last gen anyway

#9 Posted by Aljosa23 (24995 posts) -

What a bizarre question to ask because I doubt anyone here has knowledge on Xbox One/PS4 development. I'd like BC for my PS4 so I can pack up my PS3.

#10 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2478 posts) -

@edwardecl: You're correct, but i'm not talking about the PS360

The PS3 tried to include BC using direct hardware, and as you said, it raised the price too much.

If i'm not mistaken, the 360 tried to do it using emulation patches, but there where too many bugs. That's where i have to ask if this was simpylt due to hardware not being powerfull enough,

Both consoles have dvd drives, and while they're not very powerfull by today's standarts, they're definitely far ahead of 2 gens ago, ense why onyl asked about 6th gen.

So in theory, wouldn't it be possible to use emulation patches for them?

#11 Posted by slaves (1268 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@slaves said:

then the answer would be hell yes. i can emulate ps2 on my pc which is no where near as powerful as ps4 but i dont see the point to this, all the classic hits got a hd remake last gen anyway

That's true and 100% why we'll never see disk based emulation. If anything pass gen classics will be added to the stores for purchase and or more services like PSNow. It's all about money

#12 Edited by clone01 (24767 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

I would think X1 would easily do Xbox & 360 BC, get on that MS because that would be major awesome sauce.

Yeah, that was a huuuge bummer for me this gen. I would love to get rid of my 360 and just play my backlog on the XBox One.

#13 Posted by Heil68 (44658 posts) -

I doubt it as it's a added expense for hardware.

#14 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5299 posts) -

Yep. The PS4 has all the required components to do so. A disc drive, an OS, and the power. I can pop a PS2 disc in my PC Blu Ray drive and run it full speed 1080p on an emulator. I imagine Sony can do the same for PS1 and PS2 games. They already have the emulators built too. PS3 briefly got PS2 software emulation. And even today the PS3 super slim can play PS1 games straight from disc via emulation. All they need to add for the PS4 version is resolution support. With 2 options for PS1/PS2 native (320x240/640x480), or 1080p. That would be a system seller in itself. Even as a complement to the console.

#15 Posted by lostrib (37040 posts) -

I doubt PS3 BC would be possible because of the cell

#16 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2478 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I meant PS2 and original xbox BC. Via original disc.

It seems, going by Scotts and others it might be possible. I imagine an emulation patch would be used then.

Would be cool if either Sony or MS did it.

#17 Edited by lostrib (37040 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@lostrib said:

It seems, going by Scotts and others it might be possible. I imagine an emulation patch would be used then.

Then probably yeah. I mean the vita and PS3 can do PS1 classics downloads.

Of course, there's no money for sony if they do this

#18 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2478 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@lostrib said:

Then probably yeah. I mean the vita and PS3 can do PS1 classics downloads.

Of course, there's no money for sony if they do this

I guess so. I was only curious because of any potential differences or issues in the hardware that would make it impossible,

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (801 posts) -

Yeah I reckon these consoles could use emulation to run PS2 games. not sure about Xbox, never tried.

#20 Edited by Gue1 (10020 posts) -

if PS3 could do software BC for PS2 games then the PS4 should be able to do it without breaking a sweat. It's just that there is no money in that. Sony didn't even give us PS1 BC on the PS4 for the digital games and they didn't include Compact Disc support either.

Hackers got hold of the PS3's PS2 emulator and even though it doesn't play every game it does play a lot that aren't even in the store yet. They could include some plugin to let us play the game from our disc but they just don't want to do it.

#21 Posted by AM-Gamer (3941 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: Lmao what? The Wii was there first BC consoles.

#22 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4320 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

For PS3/Xbox360

Yes and no, if there was a patch it would have to be a substantial patch for each game as the code would have to be either rebuilt or recompiled for the x64/APU architecture.

If you are talking about emulation, no, well not at anything close to being playable. Not so much the GPU side of things, but the CPU is nowhere near strong enough to emulate a CPU which is in some cases faster in the PS3 case at certain tasks. The only way to play PS3 games as they are compiled for PPC/CELL is on a CELL chip, people asking for backwards compatibility are asking for their PS4/Xbox Ones to be more expensive which is insane when there would be no advantage over just using your old console.

If you are talking about emulating a PS2 then the PS4 and Xbox One is more than powerful enough to fully emulate it, Xbox (Original) is even easier as it is more or less the same architecture and a very similar OS and kernel (both a NT derivatives) (well on the Xbox One) .

I get cofused by the Gen numberings.

Personally I'd be more than happy to buy a more expensive "ultimate/deluxe edition" PS4 that included a Cell and RSX inside. I have no desire to keep my PS3 hooked up forever just to play my PS Plus games and all the games I purchased (besides which, it's inevitable that the system will stop working someday). But it looks like I'll have to. And I don't want these perfectly playable games to end up stored away in a closet to be forgotten about, either. I want all of them to be together on one system like with my PC. Expensive streamed rentals of games don't appeal to me at all.

But then, I'm one of the few who loved the PS3 fat which included PS2 hardware, so I'm almost certainly in the minority unfortunately. I thought consoles were headed in the direction of multi-generational support when the PS3 came out with PS1-PS2-PS3 support. It was the heyday of BC. The Wii supported the Gamecube and the 360 even tried to support the Xbox despite the architecture switch.And then, since 2006, BC has fallen apart dramatically on consoles. I think it's a shame.

#23 Edited by Heirren (17102 posts) -

@AM-Gamer:

Not really. Snes could play gameboy games, gameboy advance could play gb/gbc games, DS could play gba games, and GameCube had a variant on the gameboy player......oh and 3ds plays DS.

#24 Posted by verbalfilth (4596 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they both are capable of backward compatibility. Maybe not from a hardware perspective but it could be possible through emulation.

But where's the fun in letting people play games they already own when we can just sell it to them again and again and again?

#25 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4320 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@AM-Gamer:

Not really. Snes could play gameboy games, gameboy advance could play gb/gbc games, DS could play gba games, and GameCube had a variant on the gameboy player......oh and 3ds plays DS.

I suppose he meant that the Wii was the first console backwards compatible with another console. Until 2006, Nintendo only provided handheld BC.

It's nice that Nintendo is still continuing to offer BC, but (being nitpicky) I'm disappointed that the Wii U can't read Gamecube discs.

#26 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5976 posts) -

I'm sure the PS4 could easily run PS2 games. The PS3 already has some sort of emulator on it, since it can play PS2 classics off the PSN store. But who knows how titles are supported since there is not many PS2 classics on the store. I would definitely welcome BC for both xbox and PS2 support in disk base, and downloadable form.