Can the PS3 last much longer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xX0LDSCH00LXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xX0LDSCH00LXx
Member since 2007 • 1423 Posts

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-gamer_0616gl.ART.State.Edition1.436f356.html

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.
ngoniko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ngoniko
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts

Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.JiveT

? Never heard of him, you're going to make it far in this world by believing most of the stuff you read on the Internet.:roll:

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

The answer is yes, quite possibly, Sony's worth 69 billion dollars.

But it's true, they've made some serious errors.

Also, I just wanted to mention how good that article was. It's 100% true that game sales aren't great for Sony's console, due to the fact that there is a limited install base and the games aren't generally all that great. Sony's in a huge hole right now, and it remains to be seen if it can deliver the games and slash the price enough to get back to a competitive state. i hope they do; I like the kinds of games that come out on playstation systems.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JiveT

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.ngoniko

? Never heard of him, you're going to make it far in this world by believing most of the stuff you read on the Internet.:roll:

You probably can't make it out of bed in the morning if you haven't heard of Victor Godinez.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
They aren't finished but they do need to get their ass in gear fast.
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.JiveT

LoL. I got a good laugh today. Whos Victor Godinez?

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

LoL. I got a good laugh today. Whos Victor Godinez?

S1xSh0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 S1xSh0t
Member since 2007 • 529 Posts
interesting
thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
[QUOTE="ngoniko"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.JiveT

You probably can't make it out of bed in the morning if you haven't heard of Victor Godinez.

Who the hell is Victor Godinez??

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23051 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"][QUOTE="ngoniko"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.thejakel11225

Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts. ;)

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Duckman5
[QUOTE="thejakel11225"][QUOTE="JiveT"][QUOTE="ngoniko"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.mattbbpl

Rofl copters deployed. Sense not made. You haven't heard of this guy either have you? Lol.
DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
Victor Godinez. WHO? :P
thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
[QUOTE="thejakel11225"][QUOTE="JiveT"][QUOTE="ngoniko"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Victor Godinez is a god among video game business analysts and is rarely wrong about anything. So the answer is no. It can't last much longer.mattbbpl

lol :lol:, but that dude is nothing when compared to fulluzi ofur crapido, he's considered the zeus of game business analysts ;)

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Blah blah doom sayers...blah blah the PS3 is going to ruin Sony..... I'm perfectly able to wait until I see Sony play all it's cards before I cast judgment.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23051 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]

Duckman5

Rofl copters deployed. Sense not made. You haven't heard of this guy either have you? Lol.

That was the point. It was a joke based on circular logic.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JiveT

Blah blah doom sayers...blah blah the PS3 is going to ruin Sony..... I'm perfectly able to wait until I see Sony play all it's cards before I cast judgment.Ibacai

LOL you aren't nearly as qualified as Victor Godinez why would anyone wait for your judgement?

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Blah blah doom sayers...blah blah the PS3 is going to ruin Sony..... I'm perfectly able to wait until I see Sony play all it's cards before I cast judgment.Ibacai

bingo! wait until Sony's cards are all played before making judgements!

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Duckman5
[QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"]

mattbbpl

That was the point. It was a joke based on circular logic.

I know but it was funny how people kept asking "Who is Victor Godinez?" So I thought I'd point out the obvious. I had my lol of the day today.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Blah blah doom sayers...blah blah the PS3 is going to ruin Sony..... I'm perfectly able to wait until I see Sony play all it's cards before I cast judgment.JiveT

LOL you aren't nearly as qualified as Victor Godinez why would anyone wait for your judgement?

Oh man, I totally forgot that I'm lower on the food chain when compared to Victor Godinez. Thanks for reminding me.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
lol yep that "analsyt" is a genious -> SONY's financial report estimating a $488 million loss for this FY for SCE, is NOT a loss SONY can handle ...
PS3 is selling bad now - quick can it and cut our losses right before the software comes and starts making us some $$ !!

gamergeekgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamergeekgeek
Member since 2006 • 3395 Posts

According to GameDaily.biz, of the top 10 best-selling games in May, four were for the Nintendo Wii or DS, four were on the Xbox 360, and two were on the PS2.
Not a single PS3 game made the top 10.

Xbox 360 with 155,000 consoles sold, while the PS3 was sixth, with a mere 81,000 systems sold.

So Sony has two choices: slash the price (and a $100 discount may not be enough anymore) and hope that higher game sales can offset the hardware loss. Or get out of the home console business and focus on handhelds.

OUCH

cant wait for the damage control

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JiveT

According to GameDaily.biz, of the top 10 best-selling games in May, four were for the Nintendo Wii or DS, four were on the Xbox 360, and two were on the PS2.
Not a single PS3 game made the top 10.

Xbox 360 with 155,000 consoles sold, while the PS3 was sixth, with a mere 81,000 systems sold.

So Sony has two choices: slash the price (and a $100 discount may not be enough anymore) and hope that higher game sales can offset the hardware loss. Or get out of the home console business and focus on handhelds.

OUCH

cant wait for the damage control

gamergeekgeek

If this was anybody but Victor Godinez reporting there might be room for damage control. But its not so there isn't. Pretty damning stuff in there.

ALCATRAZZ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ALCATRAZZ3
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts
Lmao@ the cows focusing on who wrote the article instead of the article itself. they're some good points made in that article. He's right about the target audience being small. People arent simply going to shell out $600 clams for a system. Just watch and wait. this is the exact same thing that is going to happen to the apple iphone.
miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
Who the hell is Victor Godwhatchacallit?
kman3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kman3002
Member since 2006 • 1440 Posts
I hope so, come on Sony don't dissapoint me.:cry:
mani111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mani111
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts

The article only states what most people with common sense are thinking and were already thinking before the ps3 launched. The ps3 still has a chance if they can put outa whole bunch of games that are really good and fast. They also have to try harder to not let these games go to the 360, which isn't going to be easy.

sixringz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sixringz1
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts
sony has dominated this industry for more than a decade and in 8 months everybody is digging its grave. You gotta be kidding me. I love coming on this board and seeing the DAILY posts of "Sony is dead". I know there are a lot of haters out there but whether or not they are as successful as they once were is not a question that can be answered in 8 MONTHS. Start digging the grave in a couple years, but for some reason, and all the haters know it too deep down inside, sony isn't going anywhere. I personally believe they dug themselves too deep of a hole to be as dominant as they were last gen, HOWEVER, anybody who TRUELY THINKS sony won't be there in the end is just having wishful thinking
kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

OK, here is my thing about the PS3! It is simply too expensive! Dont give me this bunk about "anyone with a decent job can get a PS3"!! That is not at all the point! My wife and I both have good jobs. We are not rich, but we are also not poor. We have a nice house, two newer cars and other nice things. I am also a very avid gamer and will usually be the guy amongst my gaming firends to have the latest and greatest. I simply see no need or reason to plunk down $600 for a PS3. Here is why I wont get one for a very long time......

No "MUST HAVE" game. The XBOX 360 has (2) games coming in 2007 that the PS3 has no answer for....Mass Effect and Halo 3. We already know that FF XIII wont be out in Japan until early 2008, so that puts it out in the states around holidays 2008. Also, there is no guarantee that MGS 4 comes out in 2007 or even remains PS3 exclusive. Also, Killzone 2??? If this game is coming in time to meet Halo 3 head on, Sony sure has done the greatest job of keeping a game under wraps in gaming history!

No 1080i support! I am not going to sink $600 in a gaming system only to have it downscale to 480p. My HDTV is 3+ years old and I am not going to just scrap it to get one that does 720p or 1080p. 1080i is just fine!

As I said, $600 is just too much to spend on a luxery item of this nature.

BluRay Vs. HD DVD...No clear winner will be known for a while. What if BluRay goes the way of some of Sonys other media formats...UMD? Betamax??