Can't Use Own Media on PS4 via USB? WTF?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I've had my PS4 since Tuesday. It's an amazing system and I like it overall all, but in some regards, it's worse than the PS3. I can't watch my own videos or listen to my own music on my PS4; I can't even view pictures of mine or use them as wallpapers (as far as I know). When I insert my USB thumb drive into my PS4, nothing happens. WTF? Is the XBOX ONE like this?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BluRayHiDef

I guess no one cares about this problem. Damn.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

No, just no one is surprised since this was announced a while ago.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Use a NAS like everyone else in 2013.. Oh wait they aren't supported either! DOH!

Any way apparently this was an oversight and is being patched soon so hopefully by january we all get to do basic things like play a movie from a thumb drive.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Doesn't your TV have a usb slot you can use to play movies, look at photos etc? I swear people just like to bitch about everything even though there are simple alternatives.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@JohnF111 said:

Use a NAS like everyone else in 2013.. Oh wait they aren't supported either! DOH!

Any way apparently this was an oversight and is being patched soon so hopefully by january we all get to do basic things like play a movie from a thumb drive.

How could they have overlooked something so simple? C'mon, son.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soulitane

@BluRayHiDef said:

@JohnF111 said:

Because there are more important things to get ready for a gaming consoles launch than such features?

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

That's the price you pay for being an early adopter. Sucks 100% but as I said before the later firmware patches come it's the price you pay for being an early adopter

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@The_Rick_14 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

No, just no one is surprised since this was announced a while ago.

Yeah, pretty much.. lol

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JohnF111

@BluRayHiDef: Seriously Yushida said it himself:

Yoshida told GiantBomb that Sony was "caught off guard" by the uproar sparked by the announcement that PS4 would not support such typically rudimentary media features at launch.

It's to be patched in.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BluRayHiDef

@JohnF111 said:

Yoshida told GiantBomb that Sony was "caught off guard" by the uproar sparked by the announcement that PS4 would not support such typically rudimentary media features at launch.

It's to be patched in.

Caught off guard? C'mon, son. What did they think? That people wouldn't notice or be bothered by the absence of such standard features? WTF? You're fucking up, SONY. Get it together!

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@soulitane said:

Doesn't your TV have a usb slot you can use to play movies, look at photos etc? I swear people just like to bitch about everything even though there are simple alternatives.

I have a 24" 1080P monitor as I am primarily a PC gamer.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@JohnF111 said:

It's to be patched in.

Caught off guard? C'mon, son. What did they think? That people wouldn't notice or be bothered by the absence of such standard features? WTF? You're fucking up, SONY. Get it together!

This wasn't overlooked. They want you to pay for Music Unlimited and other content streaming services, it was very purposefully left out.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JohnF111

@BluRayHiDef: Bu bu but teh pure gamez console!!1 We don't need mediaz 2 be grate!!!! Only delayed games and vaporware!

I do agree it's not looking as sweet as it was at E3. They are making one mistake after the other, however he did say they were focusing on game features FIRST then secondary media features not directly connected to games but I think they just wanted us all to subscribe to Music Unlimited instead of grabbing a USB drive.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soulitane

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

Then I'm sure your PC can do all those things just fine. Most TVs these days as far as I'm aware either allow for streaming and or have a usb slot in them which can be used to view media. People who are complaining about this are just bitching for the sake of it or are just ignorant of the quite easy alternatives.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@JohnF111 said:

It's to be patched in.

^this. Sorry @BluRayHiDef, it was a bit of a bummer when they announced it a few weeks ago. Yoshida said that they technically did not "remove" the feature, they just did not add it in yet because they weren't thinking about it. I don;t think they knew so many people actually used the Media Server/MP3's/etc features until the uproat happened. That's why it was such an afterthought.

But they are going to add it in the next patch if I remember correctly.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnF111

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

Then I'm sure your PC can do all those things just fine. Most TVs these days as far as I'm aware either allow for streaming and or have a usb slot in them which can be used to view media. People who are complaining about this are just bitching for the sake of it or are just ignorant of the quite easy alternatives.

Yeah my TV does all that, also slightly agree that it's just bitching but if my PS3 did it then I sort of don't want them to take it away from my PS4. I might agree with it if it was different product like a blu ray player but not the "upgrade" from the previous incarnation.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danabo

You're dense if you think this was overlooked and not used as an opportunity to sell you a subscription. If nobody used their console for media they wouldn't include Music Unlimited, Netflix et al

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JohnF111

@remiks00 said:

@JohnF111 said:

It's to be patched in.

^this. Sorry

@BluRayHiDef

, it was a bit of a bummer when they announced it a few weeks ago. Yoshida said that they technically did not "remove" the feature, they just did not add it in yet because they weren't thinking about it. I don;t think they knew so many people actually used the Media Server/MP3's/etc features until the uproat happened. That's why it was such an afterthought.

Yeah I'm not really that bothered, like I said in my last post my TV has all this built in so flipping the channel isn't much trouble plus I do have my PS3 any way, so at least they ddin't say "Well we might START working on it soon" they did of course say it just wasn't a priority(confirmng it was on their list) so I'm not too bothered really. Plus I do prefer they straighten out the gaming features first any way.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JohnF111

@remiks00 said:

@JohnF111 said:

It's to be patched in.

^this. Sorry

@BluRayHiDef

, it was a bit of a bummer when they announced it a few weeks ago. Yoshida said that they technically did not "remove" the feature, they just did not add it in yet because they weren't thinking about it. I don;t think they knew so many people actually used the Media Server/MP3's/etc features until the uproat happened. That's why it was such an afterthought.

Yeah I'm not really that bothered, like I said in my last post my TV has all this built in so flipping the channel isn't much trouble plus I do have my PS3 any way, so at least they ddin't say "Well we might START working on it soon" they did of course say it just wasn't a priority(confirmng it was on their list) so I'm not too bothered really. Plus I do prefer they straighten out the gaming features first any way.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soulitane

@JohnF111 said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

Yeah my TV does all that, also slightly agree that it's just bitching but if my PS3 did it then I sort of don't want them to take it away from my PS4. I might agree with it if it was different product like a blu ray player but not the "upgrade" from the previous incarnation.

I agree that it should have it, and it probably will in the near future. But the way people go on about it is as if they only have a PS4 connected to the TV, then there is no way to view any of that media, which is for the most part (unless someone has an older model HD TV) a flat out lie. But this is SW, where even the slightest flaw is made to look like the end of the world. =p

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I miss the original xbox when music was played within the game i.e. custom songs for wwe wrestler enterence or custom radio station for san andres. It will never be that great again since last gen music would play over cut scenes or it didn't feel right having music playing constantly getting in or out of cars in gta/saints row.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BluRayHiDef

I know that I could simply use my PC to do these things, but it's quite inconvenient when I want to do so right after playing a game or something; I have to shut off my PS4, unplug the HDMI cord connected to it, and then connect the HDMI cord connected to my PC, and then turn the PC on. You think I want to do that?

Furthermore, I'd like to listen to my own music while playing a PS4 game.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soulitane

@BluRayHiDef said:

I know that I could simply use my PC to do these things, but it's quite inconvenient when I want to do so right after playing a game or something; I have to shut off my PS4, unplug the HDMI cord connected to it, and then connect the HDMI cord connected to my PC, and then turn the PC on. You think I want to do that?

Sounds like an HDMI switch would be ideal for you then. Not just for this media stuff but it would also make it much more convenient to switch between the two systems.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BluRayHiDef

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Sounds like an HDMI switch would be ideal for you then. Not just for this media stuff but it would also make it much more convenient to switch between the two systems.

I guess I'll order one.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

No complaints it is only a games machine.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 soulitane

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I guess I'll order one.

They are rather pricey for what they are though =p

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

well, you wanted a machine that only does games right?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BluRayHiDef

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I guess I'll order one.

This one is cheap.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soulitane

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I guess I'll order one.

This one is cheap.

Ah, nevermind, I don't look on Amazon since not from the states. All the ones I see are a lot more than that =p

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BluRayHiDef

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@soulitane said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I guess I'll order one.

This one is cheap.

Ah, nevermind, I don't look on Amazon since not from the states. All the ones I see are a lot more than that =p

Actually, there is a possibility that the old adage "You get what you pay for" applies to this product. A few of the reviews say that it produces signal noise/ distortion. Also, two of the three outputs only output 720P.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Sony wants to sell you additional subscriptions to their media services on PS4.

Remember, cows only wanted a games machine, so there's no room to complain about this type of thing.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BluRayHiDef

@treedoor said:

Remember, cows only wanted a games machine, so there's no room to complain about this type of thing.

Shut up and drink our milk, you lactose intolerant lem!

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I guess I didn't care since none of that has to do with gaming. I have many other devices that do these things already.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@kuu2 said:

No complaints it is only a games machine.

this for me.

My PS3 never had any vids of music in it. I dont care for that, I just play games on them.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By danabo

@playmynutz said:

I miss the original xbox when music was played within the game i.e. custom songs for wwe wrestler enterence or custom radio station for san andres. It will never be that great again since last gen music would play over cut scenes or it didn't feel right having music playing constantly getting in or out of cars in gta/saints row.

You can still do this on the 360, not sure about the Xbox One although it does support CDs so it should work the same - I can't play a wrestling game without it, on the same note I would love another Raw.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@Nengo_Flow:

Me too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

it'll get fixed in an update, just you wait

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Kinda strange but they didn't add any of that into the OS. It's not like it'll be hard to implement, they just didnt get to it. Both systems will evolve quite a bit over this generation. Why do think their operating systems use up like 2GB a piece? It's so that they can expand functionality whenever they want. Sony will probably expand Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited to support offline functionality anyways.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@JohnF111 said:

Yoshida's response on twitter was that they focused on the gaming aspects alone and then later on through updates they will add the other non-gaming stuff like MP3's and shit.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 danabo

@Gue1 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@JohnF111 said:

Yoshida's response on twitter was that they focused on the gaming aspects alone and then later on through updates they will add the other non-gaming stuff like MP3's and shit.

@danabo said:

You're dense if you think this was overlooked and not used as an opportunity to sell you a subscription. If nobody used their console for media they wouldn't include Music Unlimited, Netflix et al

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@danabo:

I think they'll patch it in because so many people asked for it. I'll never use it though, so it doesn't matter to me.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

I've had my PS4 since Tuesday. It's an amazing system and I like it overall all, but in some regards, it's worse than the PS3. I can't watch my own videos or listen to my own music on my PS4; I can't even view pictures of mine or use them as wallpapers (as far as I know). When I insert my USB thumb drive into my PS4, nothing happens. WTF? Is the XBOX ONE like this?

I agree, PS3 was an amazing system (specifically the 60 gig). People took it for granted and this led to sony dropping some of the useful things they put into the system.

it sucks but no one appreciated when sony went out of their way to deliver the most feature rich product on the market so they didn't bother with a lot of this stuff this time. It is what it is.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

I really hope they patch in custom in-game music in the way that 360 had. Music would automatically stop or volume adjust based on what was going on in-game. Cant imagine why they didnt account for that at launch, especially when XB1 can.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@treedoor said:

More like lactose intolerant hermit.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BluRayHiDef

@treedoor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@treedoor said:

More like lactose intolerant hermit.

Whatever.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

When it comes games, Just Wait.

When it comes to features, Just Wait.

When it comes patches, Just Wait.

Son Fan are the clowns of SW.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Sony wants your money and they will do anything to get it. Even pretend to be your friend

by gamers for gamers ?? *wink* *wink*

The sony executives are laughing at all you cows.

Sony were the ones that originally implemented DRM and the public thinks its all Microsoft.

Brainwashing propaganda at its finest. I will admit, this is one area that they are bloody good.

AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@JohnF111 said:

It's to be patched in.

They will. Give it time. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@danabo said:

who however disagree with this is a fanboy. clearly Sony wanted to push their Music/Video unlimited services.