Can Splatoon become the next Mario Kart Multiplayer phenomenon for Nintendo?

Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) 7 months, 20 hours ago

Poll: Can Splatoon become the next Mario Kart Multiplayer phenomenon for Nintendo? (23 votes)

OF COURSE, Its Nintendo EAD, why even doubt it? 22%
It will probably be big, but not as big as Mario Kart 39%
Its too kiddish to gain attention 4%
It's unique enough from the normal shooters that it will gain attention. 30%
4%

Pretty self explantatory

#1 Edited by bbkkristian (14963 posts) -

Doubtful. Very very little of new IPs can replicate Mario Kart's success.

But regardless, I see its multiplayer being active until the next big game and probably after that as well.

#2 Edited by silversix_ (14975 posts) -

The game looks dumb but 7y olds may enjoy this between their CoD sessions.

#3 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5786 posts) -

It's getting a lot of fanart in an extremely short time. Even from the mangaka of Squid Girl (Ika Musume).

To answer your question, I chose the fourth option.

#4 Edited by GamingTitan (558 posts) -

It won't trump Mario kart but I bet it will be extremely popular. It looks like a very solid game.

#5 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5928 posts) -

Even if it turns out to be better than Mario Kart (doubtful), it still won't be anywhere near as big as Mario Kart.

It looks like a cool game though and I think it will do well.

#6 Posted by Gue1 (10398 posts) -

when was the last time a new ip has done well on a nintendo platform?

#7 Edited by super600 (30806 posts) -
@Gue1 said:

Wii sport was the last time probably, but some of their other newer Ip's may have also done well

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27211 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Wii Sports?

#9 Posted by locopatho (20418 posts) -

Looks excellent fun to me. It will need to be very good to match Mario Kart's fun though.

#10 Edited by Litchie (16404 posts) -

No. And I don't really understand the hype. When I saw this I thought it was a quirky little indie game. It looks pretty fun, but also quite repetitive. We'll see, but I'm not hyping it yet.

#11 Posted by Nightflash28 (2125 posts) -

@Litchie said:

No. And I don't really understand the hype. When I saw this I thought it was a quirky little indie game. It looks pretty fun, but also quite repetitive. We'll see, but I'm not hyping it yet.

Please elaborate on why you think it's repetetive. In my eyes, it's not any more repetetive than any other multiplayer FPS (CoD, Killzone or whatever). And on the contrary, it's adding something entirely new.

#12 Posted by Litchie (16404 posts) -

@Nightflash28 said:

@Litchie said:

Please elaborate on why you think it's repetetive. In my eyes, it's not any more repetetive than any other multiplayer FPS (CoD, Killzone or whatever). And on the contrary, it's adding something entirely new.

Iunno.. Haven't seen much from the game, maybe that's why. Are there different weapons? Are there abilities? What I've seen is basically a map with 2 teams, where a team tries to cover the map in their color before the other team. Sounds very repetitive, but I may be missing stuff.. And I wouldn't call the paint thing "new" because of De Blob among other games with paint..

#13 Posted by DocSanchez (1700 posts) -

Honestly if this was coming out for PC from an unknown developer no one would have looked twice at it.

#14 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7635 posts) -

I don't know about it becoming as big as Mario Kart. That seems too optimistic. I can't think of another shooter like Splatoon, though. It's a unique game that will likely get attention just because it's different.

#15 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7429 posts) -

It is going to have to feature a whole lot more than what was shown to even come close. It has some very interesting concepts, but I certainly haven't seen enough to say that it is a game I want to purchase.

#16 Posted by gamefan67 (9906 posts) -

If Splatoon actually becomes a Nintendo franchise (meaning they release more than one game) it may have a chance to garner a Mario Kart like following, but that is still highly doubtful imo.

#17 Edited by nini200 (9930 posts) -

Already a thread on this by Charizard...

#18 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

I seem to add an extra option without any words, unfortunately i cant seem to edit since its been too long. My bad

#19 Posted by coasterguy65 (6072 posts) -

The game does look fun, but I don't think it will reach Mario Kart sales.