Can PS4 become the greatest console of all time?

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Or is it lacking the exclusive power to make that happen? I gotta say, FF7 remake and Shenmue 3 were some of best announcements I ever witnessed. FF7 remake will be coming to PS4 first, but we don't really know what that really means. Shenmue 3, on the other hand, is being developed with Sony's assistance. Meaning, Sony is pretty much making this game a reality. And then there's The Last Guardian. The graphics looked like crap in my opinion, but Ueda is pretty much legendary. And there's just many other games going for it it's going to be crazy. Persona 5 is going to be amazing. Uncharted 4 is pretty much the real deal. The Last Of Us 2. Then you have the crazy good third party support, great marketing, DLC deals. I personally think the PS4 can become the greatest console of all time. It's going to beat the PS2 for sure. What say you, SW? Do you agree?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

No, there's nothing great about it, it's not revolutionary, it's not innovating anything, it's just a more powerful last generation console that now shares more identity with a low end PC.

Games are not a console, they may define them, but they do not make them great as a system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 61913
Member since 2006 • 736 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: At the end of the day when it's all said and done I'd think so ! PS4 is insane

pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4 pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
@nyadc said:

Games are not a console, they may define them, but they do not make them great as a system.

That makes no sense. What good was PS2 without games?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

It has a good chance because SONY did what was needed to be done.

By gamers FOR gamers and matched it with the proven life philosophy of Live, Learn and Love.

Not to mention a E3 reveal that will NEVER be forgetting. SONY fought against the tyranny and EVIL that MS brought upon our gaming community in an effort to CHANGE the industry for their OWN personal greed.

Well SONY promptly knocked them the **** out and that's one small reason why PS4 is current gen 8 console leader atm.

We all thank SONY for saving us against this atrocity.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

It's looking that way. Look at the list of accomplishments so far. What more do you want?

• ton of exclusives (new IPs and old)
  • very diverse library (Xbox is a shooterbox, Wii U is... idk what it is)
  • best third party support (from all over the world JP/NA/EU)
  • best console hardware
  • over 50% marketshare
  • Shenmue 3, FFVIIR, TLG

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@pathofneo99 said:
@nyadc said:

It makes perfect sense, every console plays games, but what is actually great about the console itself? How can a console be great because of the games it has? You can say "The PlayStation 4 had great games", but what is actually great about the system itself?

It's nothing remarkable.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

So far extremely underwhelming compared to PS2. But then again most consoles are.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Yes, or course. Sony loves us and has always been there when we needed them, like in 2009 when Microsoft dropped the core audience to chase after the Wii's pot of gold.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

seems a bit premature. Sony hasn't really delivered on anything but solid hardware yet and they didn't even get an A+ on that. Greatness still awaits.

Edge_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Edge_Plus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

Why are people bragging about games that aren't coming out until 2017+?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heil68

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Yes, or course. Sony loves us and has always been there when we needed them, like in 2009 when Microsoft dropped the core audience to chase after the Wii's pot of gold.

Spoken like a CHAMPION.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

@Legend002: Absolutely horrendous post full of ridiculous hyperbole.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@ToScA-: No it isn't. It's a fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It will go down as one of the worst in history because of the distribution methods it pushes.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Or is it lacking the exclusive power to make that happen? I gotta say, FF7 remake and Shenmue 3 were some of best announcements I ever witnessed. FF7 remake will be coming to PS4 first, but we don't really know what that really means. Shenmue 3, on the other hand, is being developed with Sony's assistance. Meaning, Sony is pretty much making this game a reality. And then there's The Last Guardian. The graphics looked like crap in my opinion, but Ueda is pretty much legendary. And there's just many other games going for it it's going to be crazy. Persona 5 is going to be amazing. Uncharted 4 is pretty much the real deal. The Last Of Us 2. Then you have the crazy good third party support, great marketing, DLC deals. I personally think the PS4 can become the greatest console of all time. It's going to beat the PS2 for sure. What say you, SW? Do you agree?

I thought it was the Kickstarter that made Shenmue 3 a reality or did i miss something here?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I thought it was the Kickstarter that made Shenmue 3 a reality or did i miss something here?

You didn't miss anything

"If we do not reach our funding goal, Shenmue 3 will not go forward."

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

It currently only has 1 good game. The future looks bad.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

http://kotaku.com/sony-is-helping-make-shenmue-iii-1711819045

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@lostrib said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

well if he didn't understand the first time....

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@Legend002 said:

It's looking that way. Look at the list of accomplishments so far. What more do you want?

• best console hardware
  • over 50% marketshare
  • Shenmue 3, FFVIIR, TLG

YES.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Yup, like PS Now and charging people for games that they already own. Feel that love.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think so.

There are some things I need Sony to actually address with the system going forward, but all said and done, it could be in with a chance.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Personally i had a blast with Sonys E3 2015. Shenmue console exclusive , Last guardian is here , Street Fighter 5 console exclusive , Uncharted 4 was OFF charts with its apparel design perfection and not only , Bloodborne and its sequel soon or later , God of war 4 , Gran Turismo a , Final Fantasy remake as time exclusive , The last of Us 2 soon or later , Persona 5 ... and the list goes on and on ...

Now add every other exclusive it might pop up out of nowhere like Horizon did and the forthcoming hardware price cuts ...

Its up to SONY if PS4 will be a success similar to PS2 ! If they keep it like this .... i see PS4 sales land very close to PS2s if not surpass it. Its up to Sony , if theyll keep this up or not

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

@Heil68 said:

It has a good chance because SONY did what was needed to be done.

By gamers FOR gamers and matched it with the proven life philosophy of Live, Learn and Love.

Not to mention a E3 reveal that will NEVER be forgetting. SONY fought against the tyranny and EVIL that MS brought upon our gaming community in an effort to CHANGE the industry for their OWN personal greed.

Well SONY promptly knocked them the **** out and that's one small reason why PS4 is current gen 8 console leader atm.

We all thank SONY for saving us against this atrocity.

LOL wow........

Unfortunately, Sony is gonna Sony. Over-promise and under-deliver.

pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28 pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts

@nyadc said:
@pathofneo99 said:
@nyadc said:

It makes perfect sense, every console plays games, but what is actually great about the console itself? How can a console be great because of the games it has? You can say "The PlayStation 4 had great games", but what is actually great about the system itself?

It's nothing remarkable.

I think it's backwards. A console is only as good as the games it has. I see what your saying that games and consoles are two different things.. but at the end of the day, for example, having a Wii U is only way you can play Bayonetta 2. So, games (mostly exclusive) in turn does define consoles (such as Wii U in this case). I think ppl put too much emphasis on other features and bells n' whistles and not the games themselves. My cousin has an Xbox 360 because it can do this and that (netflix, hulu, chat, etc) and now wants an X1 to take screenshots etc. All this is fine and dandy but damn shouldn't games be all that really matters?

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Unlikely, IMO. But it's shaping up to be a excellent system.

My feeling is that not only are True exclusive titles few these days (and SW's common view that multiplats don't mean anything for a system, except PC), but games take so long to make that you'll rarely see one studio pumping out classic after classic like before.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Anything can happen. It needs games games games and to address some hardware issues.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By slim70

@Legend002 said:

• best console hardware
  • over 50% marketshare
  • Shenmue 3, FFVIIR, TLG

You're first 2 points are pure bullshit and make you look like a delirious PS fanboy - straight up.

I'll agree with the third but the 4th is stretching it considerably because outside of DF comparisons most people really can't tell the difference.

Market share who gives a **** that can change especially after this E3.

Shenmue 3 a kickstarter game that probably hasn't even started development and is said to be multiplat anyway. FF7 a remake of a 10 year old game that's going to be playable on the PC anyway. TLG a game first unveiled at E3 8 years ago that suddenly disappeared with no word from Sony and reappears looking no better than a mediocre PS3 game. All three of these games have been disparately overhyped by delirious fanboys.

If there's one thing that Sony's E3 has shown it's that the PS4 is very light on greatness and that people are going to wait a long time for anything that was shown.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68

Also the Winner of the last 3 E3's..

Beyond stunning really.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

I wish it would win metacritic/gs and not just e3 tho :(

Bloodbornestation4 :(

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@nyadc said:

No, there's nothing great about it, it's not revolutionary, it's not innovating anything, it's just a more powerful last generation console that now shares more identity with a low end PC.

This.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By slim70
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Ah ok, Kickstarter was just a thing for them to see if enough people was interested in the game.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@slim70 said:
@Legend002 said:

• best console hardware
  • over 50% marketshare
  • Shenmue 3, FFVIIR, TLG

You're first 2 points are pure bullshit and make you look like a delirious PS fanboy - straight up.

I'll agree with the third but the 4th is stretching it considerably because outside of DF comparisons most people really can't tell the difference.

Shenmue 3 a kickstarter game that probably hasn't even started development and is said to be multiplat anyway. FF7 a remake of a 10 year old game that's going to be playable on the PC anyway. TLG a game first unveiled at E3 8 years ago that suddenly disappeared with no word from Sony and reappears looking no better than a mediocre PS3 game. All three of these games have been disparately overhyped by delirious fanboys.

If there's one thing that Sony's E3 has shown it's that the PS4 is very light on greatness and that people are going to wait a long time for anything that was shown.

Every post you have made screams delirious Xbox fanboy though. A fucking miserable one at that. Quit feeding people negative energy for a while, sheesh.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Heil68

@-God- said:
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

You admitted you dont even have a PC..hahahahaha

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@-God- said:
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

Someone should get a PS4 for God.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68

@slim70 said:
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The greatest console ever is one that offers backwards compatibility and a elite controller. The Xbox One.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@Heil68 said:
@-God- said:
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

Someone should get a PS4 for God.

naw, this is too funny, not to mention PC doesn't get the BEST games out industry has to offer both by GS and MC scores.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

To be the greatest console ever it needs to be more than a watered-down PC with one amazing exclusive in two years.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 slim70

@bobrossperm said:
@slim70 said:
@Legend002 said:

• best console hardware
  • over 50% marketshare
  • Shenmue 3, FFVIIR, TLG

Every post you have made screams delirious Xbox fanboy though. A fucking miserable one at that. Quit feeding people negative energy for a while, sheesh.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 slim70

@Heil68 said:
@slim70 said:
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

Bloodborne just isn't enough of a reason and I don't care for indies.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

To be the greatest console ever it needs to be more than a watered-down PC with one amazing exclusive in two years.

PS2 got a handful in one holiday season, and even some at launch.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68

@slim70 said:
@Heil68 said:
@slim70 said:
@Heil68 said:

Beyond stunning really.

Bloodborne just isn't enough of a reason and I don't care for indies.

Well its been almost a year till I buy a X1 game. :(

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

im getting a PS4 for xmas..BUT the only way SOny will win my heart totally is a remastered version of SSX Tricky,Twisted Metal 2...Thats all it takes for me. All the other 1000's of games dont much matter outside a few im looking to get.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

It already is.