Can PS3 catch up to Wii sales by 2016?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) 4 months, 1 day ago

Can PS3 catch up to Wii sales by 2016? (42 votes)

Yea! 31%
Maybe 21%
Aw, hell naw! 48%

Let's say Wii is at 100m and PS3 is at 80m (correct me where I'm wrong).

Can the PS3 sell 20+million in 3 years?

Seeing what the PS2 did, I have few doubts.

#1 Posted by TheEroica (12748 posts) -

It needs to pass the 360 first....

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (26888 posts) -

Nope

#3 Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

It needs to pass the 360 first....

which is barely being supported

#4 Edited by Gue1 (8077 posts) -

PS3 will surpass the 100 million mark.

#5 Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

PS3 will surpass the 100 million mark.

sony always wins

#6 Posted by XboxDone74 (1712 posts) -

heh, sheep are reeling over the death of the wiiu, so saving face with the wii. B-)

#7 Edited by MonsieurX (26888 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Gue1 said:

PS3 will surpass the 100 million mark.

sony always wins

Not with their handhelds

#8 Edited by Joedgabe (4987 posts) -

It's possible, but probably not. PS3 has to compete with PC and Xbox360 so not likely. Regardless Sales wise doesn't even matter at this point considering how bad nintendo has screwed up.

#9 Edited by Shewgenja (6821 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Gue1 said:

PS3 will surpass the 100 million mark.

sony always wins

It will happen in 2014, too. Watch and learn.

#10 Posted by Netret0120 (1517 posts) -

PS3 will pass wii by 2016-17

It's tied but going to beat X360 by 2014

#11 Posted by GamingGod999 (2719 posts) -

Yes.

#12 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

The PS2 was able to still sell well after the PS3 came out thanks to price drops, other countries could afford the system that could not afford it before. I think it might be done, if the same thing happens.

#13 Posted by XboxDone74 (1712 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Gue1 said:

PS3 will surpass the 100 million mark.

sony always wins

Not with their handhelds

psp sold more than the 360 or the PS3. :-/

#14 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8435 posts) -

The PS2 was able to still sell well after the PS3 came out thanks to price drops, other countries could afford the system that could not afford it before. I think it might be done, if the same thing happens.

PS1(20 million) and PS2(50 million) both did very well after their successors released. Who would have thought that a console with continued support, 1st and/or 3rd party is going to continue selling at a good clip. I I expect both HD twins to match or exceed wii's sales numbers.

#15 Posted by trugs26 (4640 posts) -

Honestly I think it can, but it really depends on what Sony wants to do with it. The slim version can get really cheap with a large catalogue of good games + a cheap blue ray player. It could just do a PS2 all over again (although not to the same extent).

So my prediction is that it can, and I think it will. I don't think Xbox 360 will though. That'll lose steam very shortly.

#16 Posted by TheEroica (12748 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@TheEroica said:

It needs to pass the 360 first....

which is barely being supported

Destiny - Titanfall - cod - assassins creed... GTAV expansions... I mean, yeah in a way you're right. MS isnt really supporting it outside of titanfall, but yeah the Xbox360 has at least 2 years of fresh gaming ahead of it brah....

#17 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@TheEroica said:

It needs to pass the 360 first....

which is barely being supported

Destiny - Titanfall - cod - assassins creed... GTAV expansions... I mean, yeah in a way you're right. MS isnt really supporting it outside of titanfall, but yeah the Xbox360 has at least 2 years of fresh gaming ahead of it brah....

3 exclusives including Fable Anniversary, 12 XBLA 5 were already announced, all published by MS, 7 are FP, Original Programming shared with Xbox One and JUST for the 360, Titanfall, Destiny, and still getting content first or permanently compared to other versions.

And there is no support? LOL ok.

Want to know what has no support? Wii, with the last big game being Barbie Dreamhouse Party.

#18 Edited by M8ingSeezun (1919 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

Honestly I think it can, but it really depends on what Sony wants to do with it. The slim version can get really cheap with a large catalogue of good games + a cheap blue ray player. It could just do a PS2 all over again (although not to the same extent).

So my prediction is that it can, and I think it will. I don't think Xbox 360 will though. That'll lose steam very shortly.

Agreed

#19 Posted by TheEroica (12748 posts) -

@Jakandsigz: calm down junior... I just stated the 360 is going to be alive and well in a couple years. They've always had a solid flow of quality xbla games and that's a plus, shit battleblock theater is easily a top 10 game of the year and it's an xbox exclusive. In terms of major retail releases, it's pretty slim, destiny is being catered to on ps4 and Titanfall will be huge as I've said.

#20 Edited by kemar7856 (11489 posts) -

unless it gonna keep getting good support with a few blockbuster titles exclusive to it I doubt it

#21 Posted by lostrib (26131 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@drekula2 said:

@Gue1 said:

PS3 will surpass the 100 million mark.

sony always wins

Not with their handhelds

psp sold more than the 360 or the PS3. :-/

i believe he means in the handheld market, since it loses to the 3DS/DS.

#22 Posted by GhoX (4546 posts) -

Persona 5 is coming out on PS3. That game will sell systems in both Japan and Western countries alike, even if the localised version releases in 2015.

#23 Posted by Ackad (3055 posts) -

Yes, by simply not discontinuing.

#24 Edited by CTR360 (6666 posts) -

maybe

#25 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

@HarlockJC said:

The PS2 was able to still sell well after the PS3 came out thanks to price drops, other countries could afford the system that could not afford it before. I think it might be done, if the same thing happens.

PS1(20 million) and PS2(50 million) both did very well after their successors released. Who would have thought that a console with continued support, 1st and/or 3rd party is going to continue selling at a good clip. I I expect both HD twins to match or exceed wii's sales numbers.

It's not the support of the console that help get those sales. It was the developing nations finally able to afford the system as price cuts happens.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-sony-sold-half-a-million-playstation-2s-this-christmas

#26 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Its funny but pnf said both ps3 and 360 will surpass it. At the current prices I think yes. 360 and ps3 will sell at 149 and then at 99. Sorry but again systemwars was wrong and pnf was right.

#27 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25045 posts) -

The Wii will finish in third place. Plot twist ahoy.

#28 Posted by NationProtector (806 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

Its funny but pnf said both ps3 and 360 will surpass it. At the current prices I think yes. 360 and ps3 will sell at 149 and then at 99. Sorry but again systemwars was wrong and pnf was right.

So you are PNF?

#29 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8435 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@HarlockJC said:

The PS2 was able to still sell well after the PS3 came out thanks to price drops, other countries could afford the system that could not afford it before. I think it might be done, if the same thing happens.

PS1(20 million) and PS2(50 million) both did very well after their successors released. Who would have thought that a console with continued support, 1st and/or 3rd party is going to continue selling at a good clip. I I expect both HD twins to match or exceed wii's sales numbers.

It's not the support of the console that help get those sales. It was the developing nations finally able to afford the system as price cuts happens.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-sony-sold-half-a-million-playstation-2s-this-christmas

PS2 sold over 5 million units(NPD) in the 14 months after PS3's launch. PS2 and PS1 both remained desirable after their successors hit the market because quality games were still releasing. If price was the deciding factor then GC would have went on to sell like gangbusters after its price cut( $99.99 in 2003) and wii wouldn't have flatlined.

Massive library + continued support + cheaper prices = Long sales legs

Nintendo consoles haven't had them in four generations. And that's why ps3 and 360 will probably end up matching or outselling wii.

#30 Posted by NationProtector (806 posts) -

@HarlockJC said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@HarlockJC said:

The PS2 was able to still sell well after the PS3 came out thanks to price drops, other countries could afford the system that could not afford it before. I think it might be done, if the same thing happens.

PS1(20 million) and PS2(50 million) both did very well after their successors released. Who would have thought that a console with continued support, 1st and/or 3rd party is going to continue selling at a good clip. I I expect both HD twins to match or exceed wii's sales numbers.

It's not the support of the console that help get those sales. It was the developing nations finally able to afford the system as price cuts happens.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-sony-sold-half-a-million-playstation-2s-this-christmas

PS2 sold over 5 million units(NPD) in the 14 months after PS3's launch. PS2 and PS1 both remained desirable after their successors hit the market because quality games were still releasing. If price was the deciding factor then GC would have went on to sell like gangbusters after its price cut( $99.99 in 2003) and wii wouldn't have flatlined.

Massive library + continued support + cheaper prices = Long sales legs

Nintendo consoles haven't had them in four generations. And that's why ps3 and 360 will probably end up matching or outselling wii.

Actually the majority of those sales were from other markets. Why do you think around that time PS2 software sales were stagnant and games like San Andreas were suddenly multiplying sales by 2?

#31 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8435 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@HarlockJC said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@HarlockJC said:

The PS2 was able to still sell well after the PS3 came out thanks to price drops, other countries could afford the system that could not afford it before. I think it might be done, if the same thing happens.

PS1(20 million) and PS2(50 million) both did very well after their successors released. Who would have thought that a console with continued support, 1st and/or 3rd party is going to continue selling at a good clip. I I expect both HD twins to match or exceed wii's sales numbers.

It's not the support of the console that help get those sales. It was the developing nations finally able to afford the system as price cuts happens.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-sony-sold-half-a-million-playstation-2s-this-christmas

PS2 sold over 5 million units(NPD) in the 14 months after PS3's launch. PS2 and PS1 both remained desirable after their successors hit the market because quality games were still releasing. If price was the deciding factor then GC would have went on to sell like gangbusters after its price cut( $99.99 in 2003) and wii wouldn't have flatlined.

Massive library + continued support + cheaper prices = Long sales legs

Nintendo consoles haven't had them in four generations. And that's why ps3 and 360 will probably end up matching or outselling wii.

Actually the majority of those sales were from other markets. Why do you think around that time PS2 software sales were stagnant and games like San Andreas were suddenly multiplying sales by 2?

U.S. alone accounts for nearly 1/5th(9.6 million) of PS2's 50 million sales after ps3 released at the end of 2010. I'm sure combined sales figures from the U.K. and Japan would probably bring that total around 20 million, if not more. My original post was merely additive to HarlockJC's post. He brought up lowered prices and its effect on emerging markets like Brazil. I added the importance of continued support. Without all three pillars: strong existing library, continued support and lower prices a console will lack any longevity.