IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Some of us older guys at System Wars remember this legendary post about "Xbox360 and PS3 come HD ready with no hassle, but how come we never hear of PC doing 1080p or even 720 or 480 anything?"

This wasn't actually a troll post, but a sincere question from a guy who, well, started a legit argument. How come we don't hear about PC doing HD? Unfortunately for him, he was flamed to hell and back, but anyway hear me out...

If you remember that Xbox 360 and PS3 era - everyone was crazy about those next-gen consoles which did that amazing, out of the world "HD", which was especially spectacular if you owned a big-ass HDTV.

Marketing campaign around "HD" by Microsoft and Sony did wonders, to the point where people asked "stupid" questions about can PC do that magical HD at all.

What I want to say is that both Microsoft and developers are huge hypocrites at this point. Like, "who cares about game X doing 1080p if the game looks incredible", or something.

I mean, we're in 2015 soon and yet suddenly that magical HD isn't important anymore.

What do you think?

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I actually can't tell. My eyes don't see in HD.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Buzzwords and marketing. Back when the media was gushing over the 360, it was being touted as HD because everything prior to that on consoles on in SD. The HD revolution was just kicking off at that point and the 360 was the first "HD" games console.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, we're still waiting on the PC2

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

wok7 was a legend

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts
@papatrop said:

I can't imagine how PC gaming would be without these glasses. Worth every cent.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

In 2005 even high end graphics cards like the X850 XT PE and the 6800 GT didn't have HDMI output - they were DVI and VGA cards. The PC hadn't really broken into the living room and big TV space by that point, so console gamers who didn't know better thought that meant they weren't "HD".

Sadly, even though essentially every single GPU and iGPU have HDMI outputs now, there is still a huge segment of console gamers who think that it is impossible to use a big HDTV as a display for a PC. I mean, for fucks sake, on one of my PCs alone I have three HDMI outputs, not to mention five DVI and two DisplayPort.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IgGy621985

All what you guys are saying is correct, but whether we admit it or not, console or PC gamers, most of us are graphics whores. And we like to rub each other's faces with "my game's graphics looks better than your's"

So how come "HD" isn't important to console manufacturers and developers anymore?

What, people are supposed to simply accept that this "next-gen" technology isn't capable of doing 1080p? In soon to be 2015? That's fucking ridiculous.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It really is a weird one. I've got both a PS4 and X1 now, less than a year since release but I got both PS3 and 360 quite late into their cycle. I assumed HD meant HD and was shocked at how horrible the graphics were on both having previously played exclusively on PC.

Basically, PS4 and X1 are what they said the PS3 and 360 were. I'm okay with that I played a ton of games on both last gen consoles that I loved and hit the PC up for high res and detailed texture stuff in games where that mattered to me but really their HD claims were shocking. Uglytastic was the buzz word of last gen consoles.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BldgIrsh

My god, this thread is pure gold.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Consolites can't tell graphical or fps differences except the impossibly rare cases their system is better in these facets.

Then their eyes magically adjust.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Haha, what the hell kind of question is this?

Of course not.

Remember that thread though lol.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

All what you guys are saying is correct, but whether we admit it or not, console or PC gamers, most of us are graphics whores. And we like to rub each other's faces with "my game's graphics looks better than your's"

So how come "HD" isn't important to console manufacturers and developers anymore?

What, people are supposed to simply accept that this "next-gen" technology isn't capable of doing 1080p? In soon to be 2015? That's fucking ridiculous.

I'm a PC gamer. I am a graphics whore, but I also care about gameplay and how fun a game is. A lot of times those lines are blurred, it isn't as simple as "graphics vs gameplay."

The hypocrisy of some console gamers is never ending. For instance, PS4 fanboys will laugh in the faces of Xbox One owners when the PS4 version is superior, but when compared to the PC version, all of a sudden it's "Graphics don't matter" and "30 fps is totally fine" and bla bla bla. Suddenly when presented with the facts that their beloved platform doesn't have the best graphics, then they don't matter. RIGHT.

Graphics matter. FPS matters. If they didn't we would all still be playing games like Pong and Adventure. It's all just people who are fans of consoles apologizing for their underpowered hardware and regurgitating corporate PR spin about how "cinematic" and "filmic" 24-30 fps is, and other garbage like that.

The reason I am a PC gamer is that I don't want to have to compromise on visuals to get good frame rates. I want them both. Consoles are about compromise, which it totally fine and they have their place, I just wish people would stop acting like their precious potato boxes are some amazing little $400 supercomputers because they clearly are not.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I dont believe my GTX 780 supports HD, hopefully the next video card I upgrade to supports 1080p HD graphics :| Its a good thing I own a PS4 to hold me on till then.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I remember that thread like it was yesterday. The glory days of SW.

I miss BioshockOwns ad them people

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

One of the classics.

Anyway people dont have to be sold on hd anymore since it is practically a standard now.

The big selling points now are media and social networking features (at least to the masses)

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Its not important only because current console can't or can barely do it 1080p..its just how it is. Going by media standards 720p is considered HD anyway ...1080p Full HD... Unless people want to pay more for console then they just have to accept it is what it is. Like some people who wants 4k console..lol..not gonna happen unless you're willing to pay $1000+ for a console. :P

As for PC unless it becomes a majority gaming system..then it will still be held back by consoles...so all that power will never truly be use either limited by console or just lack of optimisation/lazy port. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

A glimpse of good times in SW's.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

reading some comments on that old ass thread reminds me of how much more entertaining SW was back in the day

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I actually vaguely remember this thread.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Just goes to show you that nothing has changed lol. New gen, new buzzwords to get sales. Marketing 101. But fanboys eat this shit up like filet mignon.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@silversix_ said:

reading some comments on that old ass thread reminds me of how much more entertaining SW was back in the day

sure was. This place is dead now compared to back then. All we have now is moronic trolls like Cranler, huggles, and timster20. :\

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

I wonder if anyone saved links to all of loosingENDS threads.

>Cinematic blurriness

Damnit, I almost had 10,000 posts before they changed the website...

*EDIT*

Holy shit, I didn't know he still made posts. Those 30+ troll threads were epic. Damn what happen to lowe0?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BldgIrsh

@superbuuman said:

Its not important only because current console can't or can barely do it 1080p..its just how it is. Going by media standards 720p is considered HD anyway ...1080p Full HD... Unless people want to pay more for console then they just have to accept it is what it is. Like some people who wants 4k console..lol..not gonna happen unless you're willing to pay $1000+ for a console. :P

As for PC unless it becomes a majority gaming system..then it will still be held back by consoles...so all that power will never truly be use either limited by console or just lack of optimisation/lazy port. :P

A visual representation of your last comment.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

I feel as if SW culture has changed. It isn't fun anymore. None of the epik trolling from 2 years ago is here anymore.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

@remiks00 said:

sure was. This place is dead now compared to back then. All we have now is moronic trolls like Cranler, huggles, and timster20. :\

all of them are the same people

are you joking or do you really not know?

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

Funny thing is, both platforms never really delivered full HD resolutions (actual 1920x1080). Except for a few exceptions here and there, I believe a lot of potential was wasted on pushing HD so hard on dated hardware that in certain cases even struggled to deliver a SCALED picture. Games would of fared better in a lot of areas and more gameplay and less graphics could of been pushed out of the gate if it wasn't for the industry's ridiculous pushing of these standards.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Anyone remember that guy who tried to put a frame rate on real life? Said something like "humans only move at 30fps" and was dead serious about it.

I don't think it was too terribly long ago, maybe 2009, 2010.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

I only see in SD.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@bldgirsh: I remember seeing an ad for this on TV and being furious.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BldgIrsh

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@bldgirsh: I remember seeing an ad for this on TV and being furious.

Loading Video...

Relive the memories! (I remember watching this and just laughing.)

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Different leaders since that time. Different priorities.

Doesn't that say enough? The other one focused more on the "HD, kinect" and this one wants more of the better gaming excperience. (my logic tough)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Reminds me of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@bldgirsh said:
@papatrop said:

I can't imagine how PC gaming would be without these glasses. Worth every cent.

He is color blind.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Yeah, but can someone tell me; who or what are the zergs?

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

It's damage control and buyer's remorse.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

PC hardware just goes too fast to adopt a marketing "term" in any meaningful way. The consoles will be the same HW for many years and the term "HD ready" helps the consumer understand that even though it has been months or maybe years that those consoles can still play HD content.

They don't need that HD ready term anymore because consoles and other products being HD is already expected.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I had a 720p/1080i crt at the time of the 360 launch. I remember coming off of Chaos Theory on the original xbox and then getting a 360 shortly after its release. I thought to myself, "wtf, that's it?" It wasn't until Gears of War when things started looking up. By this point in time it is more about image quality and graphics from a design perspective. There's too much focus on technicalities.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

There is two big misconceptions I see on SW I would like to address. Some truly believe a games resolution is what makes a game look amazing. it obviously plays a role, but it doesn't stop there. Games can look amazing graphically at 720p if a lot of detail to textures and such is incorporated. The resolution isn't the alpha and omega, there are other variables. Secondly, 720p, 900p, 792p, or w/e are all HD resolutions. I don't know who coined the phrase, "1080p tru HD," but that statement misleads a lot of folks.

Also, if you're a PC gamer you know that it isn't cheap to game at 1080p with good frame rates, unless you are ok with playing games on low settings or something, but you will need a upgrade sooner than later that way. Sony, MS, Nintendo, they all have to make a console that is affordable to the general public. If they were to build a console that could play all games at 1080p with good frame rate and the equivalent of "high settings" on PC....well it would cost a lot more to make those consoles and the price tag would be jacked up. Are you ok with paying $800 for a console? I'm not.

tldr; Companies have to make consoles affordable and it still isn't cheap to game @1080p with good settings/frame rate, which is a reason as to why the "HD" selling point isn't a thing.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#41 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts
@superbuuman said:

you know there are exclusive PC games correct? these could and are being designed for UHD, some already have 2160 resolution available.

@mikhail said:

In 2005 even high end graphics cards like the X850 XT PE and the 6800 GT didn't have HDMI output - they were DVI and VGA cards. The PC hadn't really broken into the living room and big TV space by that point, so console gamers who didn't know better thought that meant they weren't "HD".

Sadly, even though essentially every single GPU and iGPU have HDMI outputs now, there is still a huge segment of console gamers who think that it is impossible to use a big HDTV as a display for a PC. I mean, for fucks sake, on one of my PCs alone I have three HDMI outputs, not to mention five DVI and two DisplayPort.

i remember running a RCA cable from my old Radeon PCI graphics card to my 27" 4:3 glass screen tv and everyone that came over thought it was the coolest thing in the world to see pc games on the tv. i'm sure if i saw it now it would hurt my eyes.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Where's all my 8K master race peeps at?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BldgIrsh

@BattleSpectre: Silly pleb. It's all about HD, 8k are just numbers! Consoles rules all.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@BattleSpectre: Silly pleb. It's all about HD, 8k are just numbers! Consoles rules all.

Good thing I own em' all then isn't it. ;]

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I agree. HD/FPS are pointless to talk about for everyone. PC games barely look any better than anything on PS4/Xbone and 4K/120FPS is not going to magically make it better. PC gamers need to get over it. Your games are barely different than consoles yet you waste so much money on them. I will never understand it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

OP, are you hobodoug?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IgGy621985

@stuff238 said:

I agree. HD/FPS are pointless to talk about for everyone. PC games barely look any better than anything on PS4/Xbone and 4K/120FPS is not going to magically make it better. PC gamers need to get over it. Your games are barely different than consoles yet you waste so much money on them. I will never understand it.

You didn't get my post. At all.

@KHAndAnime said:

OP, are you hobodoug?

Who/what is hobodoug?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Because esp on PC were passed that now, PC have been doing HD for years to the point now were heading towards 4K in PC, when the PS3 and 360 came out there were aimed at high end PCs and were on the cutting age, but now it isn't mentioned because were already at HD it's now a case of how high is the resolution. PC doesn't need to talk about it anymore because most who game on it, are hitting 1080p or higher as standard it's more about getting the frame rate better and PCs are just at the forefront of it all,

PS4/X1 are pretty mid range PC builds and as of now are pretty out of date compared to PCs, I admit the standard of a console should of always been to reach 1080p 60fps easily, but unfortunately, there not and it's come to the point system wars are having to argue about steady frame rates of 30fps or 900p/1080p I guess it's what we got and we have to just get on with it.

plus you have to remember and I really don't get some people, you need to class PC as a huge spectrum, because it all comes down to how much someone has spent on there system and there research into what's the better parts and spec.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

They're just liars. Marketing, PR people have no soul and no substance. They're the shells of the people they used to be.
It's the price they pay to afford nice stuff. A necessary(?) evil.
There will be a time when lying to the consumer will be a big deal, and we won't need those people anymore. It's not that time yet.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Did people even wonder what the VGA and/or DVI ports are for at the back of every HDTV? That should've clued people in.

We were already hooking up 720p monitors (aka HDTV minus ATSC tuner) to our PCs at work as far back as 2002.

In 2003, we bought our first LCD HDTV for home. I tried Battlefield 1942. It worked. That got me planning for what my future PC setups will look like. Every desktop PC (minus the retro ones) at home now use an HDTV as a monitor.

Our first HDTV. Damn thing doesn't even have HDMI. Photo taken circa 2004. BF1942 with Desert Combat mod.