Can Nintendo Recover?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

Nintendo has a had a rough month, and stock prices are at a low right now. The WiiU is performing abysmally and 3Ds is a great success, the Wii U needs a huge boost right now from Nintendo, but people are optimistic they can recover from this. Kotaku has a great article about the whole fiasco right now, while i'm not always a huge fan of Kotaku/Gizmodo (they can be very biased and immature at times) this is a fantastic written article about Nintendo's woes, what they have dealt with in the past and what can happen in the future.

Read Here:

Nintendo Article!

#2 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -

You are HERE TO SCARE US STRAIGHT!!!!!

On Topic, I think nintendo makes too much money to be worried about them financially atm, but if they want to recover on a console front they need to be less stubborn about utilizing whats popular.

#3 Posted by osan0 (12581 posts) -

i certainly wouldnt write them off.

after the GC it was widely believed that nintendo were finished yet they went ahead and won last gen.

the company is unpredictable when it comes to hardware. that can lead to problems like we are seeing with the wiiu but it can also strike gold and nintendo can rake in the money.

they do have some serious issues internally that need sorting out though. they seem to have lost their mojo after the wii.

#4 Posted by silversix_ (13871 posts) -

Of course they can but not with wiiu

#5 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2677 posts) -

Nintendo is selling the wii u that has less than 20 percent of the power of the ps4 at 75 percent of the price. At 200 bucks with no lcd controller the wii u becomes a much better value. The price is way too close to the ps4 and the ps4 is a much better platform. That 200 buck price would also help fight off the ps3/360 combo.

Also get 3rd party support yesterday. No console is an island you need games and Nintendo can't make all the content. This would also include marketing let people know hey the wii u is the cheapest next gen system with games.

#6 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3645 posts) -

By the end of this generation of gaming they will be just fine. SONY pulled it off with the PS3, and Nintendo will pull it off with the Wii U. Crystal ball? Yes.

#7 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

You are HERE TO SCARE US STRAIGHT!!!!!

On Topic, I think nintendo makes too much money to be worried about them financially atm, but if they want to recover on a console front they need to be less stubborn about utilizing whats popular.

Haha, my problem with Nintendo has always been it's lacklustre 3rd party games, first party games are always good but there needs to be some new IPs and 3rd party exclusive to really jump out and get the Wii U. They have enough money to pay Ubisoft or EA for and exclusive 3rd party title.

#8 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9505 posts) -

That new Fire Emblem's for the Wii-U? I thought this whole time it was for the 3DS.

#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149958 posts) -

Yes. Don't count out Nintendo.

#10 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2677 posts) -

Yes. Don't count out Nintendo.

Never the 3ds is still doing good it's the console side that has problems. Nintendo still made a killing on the wii so they have money.

#11 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

[b]Also get 3rd party support yesterday. No console is an island you need games and Nintendo can't make all the content. This would also include marketing let people know hey the wii u is the cheapest next gen system with games.[/b]

I agree and have been saying this for years! Nintendo needs to ramp up a new IP or do something 3rd party. They have so many fans and believers and can succeed this gen if they do right by the Wii U, though it could already be too late.

#12 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3324 posts) -

Wii U will be fine.

#13 Posted by beerm_basic (2481 posts) -

They will finish 3rd and learn alot of lessons. Got bad feeling x1 and ps4 are gunna leave the wiiu miles behind.

I love nintendo but they in trouble with the wiiu unless they do something groundbreaking to capture the casuals again

#14 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6790 posts) -

Nintendo is selling the wii u that has less than 20 percent of the power of the ps4 at 75 percent of the price. At 200 bucks with no lcd controller the wii u becomes a much better value. The price is way too close to the ps4 and the ps4 is a much better platform. That 200 buck price would also help fight off the ps3/360 combo.

Also get 3rd party support yesterday. No console is an island you need games and Nintendo can't make all the content. This would also include marketing let people know hey the wii u is the cheapest next gen system with games.

The Wii U comes with a game and online play, though.

#15 Posted by Comduter (2115 posts) -

I hope Nintendo can recover. They still make great games.

#16 Posted by AHUGECAT (8967 posts) -

The Wii U will not recover. There is nothing that makes people want it. Before you say Nintendo franchises let me remind you of the Gamecube. It wasn't Super Mario or even Mario Kart that sold the Wii, but Wii Sports. Super Mario and Mario Kart benefited from the success of Wii Sports.

#17 Edited by Xplode_games (516 posts) -

Drop the price to 200 and it will sell like hot cakes.

#18 Posted by V3rciS (2207 posts) -

Nintendo has a had a rough month, and stock prices are at a low right now. The WiiU is performing abysmally and 3Ds is a great success, the Wii U needs a huge boost right now from Nintendo, but people are optimistic they can recover from this. Kotaku has a great article about the whole fiasco right now, while i'm not always a huge fan of Kotaku/Gizmodo (they can be very biased and immature at times) this is a fantastic written article about Nintendo's woes, what they have dealt with in the past and what can happen in the future.

Read Here:

Nintendo Article!

if I had loads of cash I'd buy NIntendo stocks, that's a good investment, I expect the stock to climb back at some point. It's Nintendo man, they'll get out of this.

#19 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Read Here:

Nintendo Article!

if I had loads of cash I'd buy NIntendo stocks, that's a good investment, I expect the stock to climb back at some point. It's Nintendo man, they'll get out of this.

Bit of business advice wait for the stock to dip a bit lower, they will bounce back, I'd give it by Q4 for some acquisitions, and new marketing strategy, which I hope they do.

#20 Edited by Boddicker (2378 posts) -

Of course they can but not with wiiu

Definitely.

At this point with most 3rd party devs concentrating their efforts on the PS4 and X1 I'd say the Wii-U is not quite toast, but not far from it.

Hopefully Ninty drops the gimmicks and will make their next console able to compete. Though Idk when they would release it. It could be a disaster if they release a year or so before Sony and MS drop their next gen consoles.

Nintendo has enough money to ride this console generation out.

#21 Edited by Speak_Low (832 posts) -

No, they will never be the same again. And if they can't be the same again, that means that with each generation they will continue to grow weaker as Sony and MS become stronger in key areas.

Sony and MS have their own phones and products/projects outside of gaming that they are trying to be a market leader in, but they are not always succeeding as they want and cannot make headway in areas that Apple, Google and other companies have a better hold on. It is difficult to catch up no matter how powerful and big you are as a corporation.

So this is just like Nintendo not being able to ever catch up or match what Sony and MS do in hardware, online, third-party.

What is sad is Nintendo is getting shut out and beaten in their own industry. It's not like they are venturing out into a new line of products like phones, laptops or search engines. It's simply selling video game consoles and having the same support, audience, infrastructure and sales as Sony and MS, two of the newcomers. They can't do it. That's because they're dumb

#22 Posted by WiiMan21 (8148 posts) -

Nintendo will be here to make Nintendo games, they have a large player base and I don't think that will go away after a few bad systems.

#23 Edited by KBFloYd (12867 posts) -

@speak_low said:

No, they will never be the same again. And if they can't be the same again, that means that with each generation they will continue to grow weaker as Sony and MS become stronger in key areas.

Sony and MS have their own phones and products/projects outside of gaming that they are trying to be a market leader in, but they are not always succeeding as they want and cannot make headway in areas that Apple, Google and other companies have a better hold on. It is difficult to catch up no matter how powerful and big you are as a corporation.

So this is just like Nintendo not being able to ever catch up or match what Sony and MS do in hardware, online, third-party.

What is sad is Nintendo is getting shut out and beaten in their own industry. It's not like they are venturing out into a new line of products like phones, laptops or search engines. It's simply selling video game consoles and having the same support, audience, infrastructure and sales as Sony and MS, two of the newcomers. They can't do it. That's because they're dumb

lol nintendo can make better hardware(powerwise) than microsoft or sony...they just chose not to.

as for recover... i think they can start making a profit once mario kart comes out...thats about all they can hope for now.

#24 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (27997 posts) -

Hopefully not.

#25 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@speak_low said:

lol nintendo can make better hardware(powerwise) than microsoft or sony...they just chose not to.

as for recover... i think they can start making a profit once mario kart comes out...thats about all they can hope for now.

Mario Kart sn SSB will sell but will it be enough to sell more Wii U's, Nintendo is a powerful company and needs to work harder IMO on either something different Hardware or Software wise to differentiate itself from the competition.

#26 Posted by Jag85 (4278 posts) -

Even after the drop in stock price, Nintendo's market capitalization still remains higher than Sony's total market capitalization... So how exactly is Nintendo the one that's in trouble?

#27 Posted by KBFloYd (12867 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@speak_low said:

Mario Kart sn SSB will sell but will it be enough to sell more Wii U's, Nintendo is a powerful company and needs to work harder IMO on either something different Hardware or Software wise to differentiate itself from the competition.

what? its compeletely different from the other consoles...thats why its not selling.....its not a battlefield madden fifa cod machine like they are...

i dont know what nintendo will do to turn things around....i can say what they have announced....mario kart and smash done right could push people to buy it...hyrule warriors might sell in japan...might move systems there.
the only way they can make a 3ds or ps3 comeback is for a game to be better than anything on xbox or playstation...but thats hard to do.

#28 Edited by foxhound_fox (87322 posts) -

They just need to drop the price and release Mario Kart. Chances are they already know this and are just biding their time for the right moment to do it. Granted, a couple months ago during Black Friday would have been the best opportunity to drop the price.

#29 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -

Fuckin every gen without fail

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6790 posts) -

They just need to drop the price and release Mario Kart. Chances are they already know this and are just biding their time for the right moment to do it. Granted, a couple months ago during Black Friday would have been the best opportunity to drop the price.

It's harder for Nintendo to do price drops than Microsoft or Sony because they don't have other non-gaming divisions that can subsidize losses. Well, I guess in Sony's case, those non-gaming divisions aren't really subsidizing anything, either.

Also, didn't they just drop the price by $50 leading into Black Friday?

#31 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@speak_low said:

Actually nintendo probably cant compete on hardware the same way Sony or MS can. Gaming is their primary source of revenue and has far more impact on their stock price than Sony or MS... both of which can and have gone entire generations without making a profit off of their console.

Thats not really something nintendo can afford to do from an investor standpoint, even if they have the cash to do so. The gamble of going loss leader is fine for guys like Sony and MS if it doesnt pan out, since gaming is such a small portion of their overall revenues. But there is alot more pressure on Nintendo for their systems to be profitable day 1, since gaming is their business.

#32 Edited by Speak_Low (832 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@speak_low said:

If they have so much money why don't they upgrade the hardware more? They know this is important for developers and third-party support.

They choose not to because they are in a financially precarious position (and the failed Gamepad cost a lot) and their "unlimited money" that Sheep say they have is actually not unlimited ($14 billion total, but only $4 billion in usable cash), their fortune is actually set at a certain number and is in fact shrinking. They dropped nearly 2 billion in net worth already in the last 3 years, and they used to be $18 billion a few years ago.

When they lose money by not selling Wii U, they still have to pay investors, so they lose even more. That is why they dropped so fast - they keep missing forecasts, lose profits, but still have to pay dividends to their investors (hundreds of millions every time) - the depletion adds up fast, and that is why Iwata is panicking and needs to look into mobile pronto. It's serious and only delusional Sheep think they will last forever and can keep losing money like it doesn't matter. No publically-traded company with important shareholder operates like that where they can keep losing money for 50 years - Sheep simplify things too much because they don't read the facts.

Nintendo will keep shrinking and, eventually, any future decisions they want to make will have to be limited (less risk-taking) - which means they probably can never make powerful hardware again because they don't have enough to chance it.

#33 Edited by foxhound_fox (87322 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It's harder for Nintendo to do price drops than Microsoft or Sony because they don't have other non-gaming divisions that can subsidize losses. Well, I guess in Sony's case, those non-gaming divisions aren't really subsidizing anything, either.

Also, didn't they just drop the price by $50 leading into Black Friday?

The thing is, they need to start generating stronger interest if the product (Wii U) is going to actually take off and bring them financial success like the 3DS. They can't keep waiting and waiting for the change to happen, they need to facilitate it. They are very careful and need to be a tad more risky at this point. They as a company are sitting on pretty strong cash reserves (the Wii and DS built them), so to take a larger cut now, for a greater chance at success later would be worth the risk.

I'm not sure what happened in that sale season. The basic bundle got discontinued at some point last year and sold off cheap ($150 in places in Canada) and there was a price drop on the game bundles from $350 to $300 (IIRC). The kind of price drop I'm talking about is taking the basic hardware offering to $199. It's the next magic price point when $299 fails. It's almost sad how consumers see prices on a shelf, and see that "1" there instead of the "2" and think it's substantially cheaper (even if the price is only dropped a few dollars).

Nintendo needs to be very aggressive in these coming months if they are to make the Wii U take off. The PS4 and Xbone have nothing for games right now. Nintendo needs to drop a couple killer apps that everyone wants to play and drop the price to make it more appealing and accessible to a wider group. If they can't make it happen now, they have no hope keeping up to two consoles that can sell over a million units in a couple months on hype alone.

#34 Posted by osan0 (12581 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: the killer apps is the key thing. a price drop on its own will do nothing. maybe a short term sales spike but thats it.

unfortunately killer apps are not an exact science. they cant just drop a couple of killer apps like that....its hit or miss. its unlikely that brawl and kart will be killer apps. mario world failed to deliver the sales. X wont shift much hardware. its hard to see where this killer app will come from.

#35 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24524 posts) -

Nintendo can recover, it'll take time, but they'll recover.

I mean a few years ago lots of the same things were being said with the PS3 and now it's one of the best gaming purchases one can make.

#36 Posted by AugustEvans (104 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Even after the drop in stock price, Nintendo's market capitalization still remains higher than Sony's total market capitalization... So how exactly is Nintendo the one that's in trouble?

Noone wants their shyt consoles

#37 Posted by LustForSoul (5822 posts) -

Honestly, after they made a commerical explaining the WiiU isn't just an extension to the Wii I was losing hope. It's going to keep selling low and that's all there is to say. They'll be okay though, the DS line will compensate.

#38 Edited by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

I say, they just go ahead and begin making a new console. Give Wii U an early death. Sure it will piss off the small handful of people that currently own a Wii U but Nintendo are going to have to make some sacrifices if they want back into this console race. I can't even see big name games like Zelda helping all that much at this point. Extreme measures are in order.

It's all good and well saying they should just grim and bear it but I doubt they can get a way with that multiple times.

#39 Posted by Flubbbs (2891 posts) -

Nintendo will be fine.. even if the Wii U gets put down.. they have so much money in the bank it wouldnt hurt them at all.

#40 Edited by KBFloYd (12867 posts) -

@speak_low said:

@KBFloYd said:

@speak_low said:

If they have so much money why don't they upgrade the hardware more? They know this is important for developers and third-party support.

They choose not to because they are in a financially precarious position (and the failed Gamepad cost a lot) and their "unlimited money" that Sheep say they have is actually not unlimited ($14 billion total, but only $4 billion in usable cash), their fortune is actually set at a certain number and is in fact shrinking. They dropped nearly 2 billion in net worth already in the last 3 years, and they used to be $18 billion a few years ago.

When they lose money by not selling Wii U, they still have to pay investors, so they lose even more. That is why they dropped so fast - they keep missing forecasts, lose profits, but still have to pay dividends to their investors (hundreds of millions every time) - the depletion adds up fast, and that is why Iwata is panicking and needs to look into mobile pronto. It's serious and only delusional Sheep think they will last forever and can keep losing money like it doesn't matter. No publically-traded company with important shareholder operates like that where they can keep losing money for 50 years - Sheep simplify things too much because they don't read the facts.

Nintendo will keep shrinking and, eventually, any future decisions they want to make will have to be limited (less risk-taking) - which means they probably can never make powerful hardware again because they don't have enough to chance it.

didnt nintendo turn a profit last year overall?....they had good quarters and bad but made a miniscule profit for the whole year added up.

wiiU should sell better every year its out because it gathers more games...big and small....they might post a profit in 2014 too when its all said and done..

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9645 posts) -

Recover from what, its the most gameplay centric console to date.

The real question is can the industry recover from all cutscenes, DRM, DLC, lack of local multiplayer ? Nope !

#42 Posted by chocolate1325 (32422 posts) -

Nintendo can bounce back they just need to learn from their mistakes and the Wii U is one of them the 3DS has alot of quality titles on it.

#43 Edited by Jag85 (4278 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Noone wants their shyt consoles

And yet the 3DS was the best-selling console last year.

#44 Edited by the9thinning (925 posts) -

I'm sure they will. I just don't know when exactly.

#45 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

I hope so, because the alternative is probably mobile shovelware.

#46 Edited by DarkGamer007 (6024 posts) -

Nintendo will recover. Even if the Wii-U continues to sell poorly they will ride the Wii-U out with support until it's dying breath. I do however expect large changes to Nintendo's marketing and overall philosophy behind consoles to change over the coming years, into their next-generation.

#47 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

They are fine.

#48 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6719 posts) -

They need to accept the truth that 3rd parties have completely abandoned them and look into creating or acquiring more first party studios.

That, and they need to get and keep with the times.

#49 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

I don't care if they do because all they will do is shit out sequel after sequel after sequel like they have been doing for decades. All the best games on Nintendo systems will just migrate over to other systems because they are made by third parties and I will continue to play them uninterrupted. So I don't give a shit what happens to Nintendo, their inability to have a single creative idea lost me years ago.

#50 Posted by edwardecl (1948 posts) -

Nintendo as a company is not doomed they have accumulated much wealth over the years, but the WiiU is in a financial disaster sense. They can try again in a few years time. But now they are going to just have to do some damage control, they will need to support the WiiU for at least another 3-4 years with their own titles and best case scenario break even or a slight loss on everything they make. If they were to totally dump their system then yes they are doomed. I think third party support might be a little thin.