Can consoles defeat pc this year?

• 96 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (7530 posts) -

My friends, like Bruce Wayne, crouched over his dead parents, CRPG's have been dead for many years , hopeless, lost. Locked in a prison fighting asain people until Laim Neeson appears. Publishers refusing to publish them due to turn based, thinking peoples game-play, for adults.

Now, Pillars Of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin, it seems pc has brought real RPG's back with vengeance for shoting both parents.

At this point, is it a foregone conclusion, pc's has not only won this year when it comes to RPG's, but been on a round the world trip? Do consoles have hope? Can anything even come close to challenging these three titles, only possible on pc?

#2 Posted by sam890 (1057 posts) -

#3 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (920 posts) -

Upcoming arguments:

"Graphics are shit"

"LOL top down view"

"Indie trash"

"Looks boring"

"Didn't get GOTY"

"Got X on gamespot" If the gamespot score is indeed high

"Got X on metacritic"

etc, etc, etc.

Also, how does a platform defeat another?

#4 Edited by getyeryayasout (7029 posts) -

How unusual, a Unicup thread that's PC vs Console.

#5 Posted by 7MDMA (240 posts) -

DOS might be a confirmed modern CRPG classic but that's all for now. From what I've seen of Wasteland it isn't in the same league but I do have high hopes for POE. Any console title touching the interactivity and variable RPG appeal of DOS? Nope.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (38649 posts) -

Let's start with the fact that the graphics are shit. It's indie, so I'm not surprised. The whole top down view is making me laugh, too. It's the year 2014. Shit like that just looks boring. etc, etc, etc.

I definitely don't see this getting GOTY. Gamespot has yet to review it, so its score remains X for now, which is just hilarious on its own. And don't even bother bringing up metacritic, because it doesn't count here.

#7 Edited by pelvist (4560 posts) -

Couldnt get into Wasteland 2 and havent played Pillars of Eternity but Divinity: Original Sin (which also took me a while to get into) has turned out to be one of the best RPGs iv ever played. Seriously all the praise for this game is so very true. After I have finished this game -which I am not even close to doing- I feel like giving Wasteland 2 another go.

#8 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

Dark souls 2 will still win goty. Except kevin most of the GS staff doesn't appreciate these types of games.

#9 Posted by -Damien- (5218 posts) -

those pc games look like b-tier bargain bin 9.99 bucks games

#10 Posted by jsmoke03 (12601 posts) -

whats a c rpg?

#12 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6224 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

whats a c rpg?

think it Means "Classic" RPG meaning it attempts to aim for the PnP RPG, lots of dialogue, action and reactions, very free where skills outside of combat are useful and meaningful.

#13 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Old school FPS has been revive too thanks to flying wild hog so we got Hard reset and Shadow warrior. now cant wait for UT, Doom and Killing floor 2.

#14 Posted by Zassimick (6229 posts) -

Let's start with the fact that the graphics are shit. It's indie, so I'm not surprised. The whole top down view is making me laugh, too. It's the year 2014. Shit like that just looks boring. etc, etc, etc.

I definitely don't see this getting GOTY. Gamespot has yet to review it, so its score remains X for now, which is just hilarious on its own. And don't even bother bringing up metacritic, because it doesn't count here.

Spot. On.

#15 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (920 posts) -

Upcoming arguments:

"Graphics are shit"

"LOL top down view"

"Indie trash"

"Looks boring"

"Didn't get GOTY"

"Got X on gamespot" If the gamespot score is indeed high

"Got X on metacritic"

etc, etc, etc.

Also, how does a platform defeat another?

Either this is an indirect jab at my post or i'm pretty good.

#16 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2201 posts) -

As far as RPGs go , we won't see anything like DOS exclusively on consoles anytime soon . PC RPGs had always been more complex and complete package than console RPGs . The best thing you can get on consoles is Demon Souls but it lacks story .

On other hand , not many high profile console games are coming out this year as well . Most of them are either multiplatforms or PC exclusives .

#17 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Still better than the movie games.

#18 Edited by hehe101 (565 posts) -

What kind of trash looking game? It looks like one of those games you see on the floor when you walk into the store and you pick it up to put back on the shelf.

#19 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (920 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

You'd be saying the same thing about No Man's Sky if it wasn't revelead for PS4 at E3.

#20 Posted by jsmoke03 (12601 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

whats a c rpg?

think it Means "Classic" RPG meaning it attempts to aim for the PnP RPG, lots of dialogue, action and reactions, very free where skills outside of combat are useful and meaningful.

so dungeons and dragons kind of stuff?

baldurs gate?

#21 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2201 posts) -

Old school FPS has been revive too thanks to flying wild hog so we got Hard reset and Shadow warrior. now cant wait for UT, Doom and Killing floor 2.

FWH is working on new unannounced project . Will be announced once Shadow Warrior is available on PS4 and Xbox One .

#22 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:
@system-reboot said:

FWH is working on new unannounced project . Will be announced once Shadow Warrior is available on PS4 and Xbox One .

Soooo looing forward to that :D

Also: Wolfenstein is a great old school FPS (secrets in levels, health pick ups, carrying multiple weapons, ...)

#23 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2201 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@system-reboot said:

Also: Wolfenstein is a great old school FPS (secrets in levels, health pick ups, carrying multiple weapons, ...)

Haven't played Wolfenstein yet but it sure looks old school and pretty good . Will play it soon . Too many games to finish .

#24 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@system-reboot said:

No. its a trash

carying multiple weapon doesnot make old school. it was very slow paced, shitty stealth section, on rail action adventure segment. and worst of all. awful level design and pacing.

it should have been made by one who create RTCW. i dont know why they sold their rights,

#25 Posted by MBirdy88 (7361 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Spot. On.

thank you for summing up this forum to me... the graphics are hardly s*it for its style of game..... I don't know what consititutes as indie when the game was half made by a team and then funded a great deal. its the year 2014 .... you want mindless cutscenes with no thoughts or anything, maybe Dragon Age 2 is up your alley.

GOTY? where does he say that.... RPGoty is a possibility though.... well sadly the pop culture of Dark Souls 2 might prevent it. but it doesn't deter from the fact that it is a fantastic rpg none the less.

No score from most big sites just shows how casual the media is... congratulations your fanboys of news outlets equivalent to air headed celebrity magazines of gaming. where watch doge ends up being on the front page for a month. I

#26 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

FWH is working on new unannounced project .

are they really? any source? i cant find one.

#27 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

No. its a trash

carying multiple weapon doesnot make old school. it was very slow paced, shitty stealth section, on rail action adventure segment. and worst of all. awful level design and pacing.

it should have been made by one who create RTCW. i dont know why they sold their rights,

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Raven is part of Activision and got killed by them. The small amount of people that still work there is making COD DLC now

Yeah, I'm sure they would do a waaaaaaay better job at creating a classic FPS than Machine Games did.

And your sense of nostalgia blinds you. RTCW had way less secrets in its levels than The New Order did, stop kidding yourself.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (7530 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@Zassimick said:
@freedomfreak said:

Spot. On.

thank you for summing up this forum to me... the graphics are hardly s*it for its style of game..... I don't know what consititutes as indie when the game was half made by a team and then funded a great deal. its the year 2014 .... you want mindless cutscenes with no thoughts or anything, maybe Dragon Age 2 is up your alley.

GOTY? where does he say that.... RPGoty is a possibility though.... well sadly the pop culture of Dark Souls 2 might prevent it. but it doesn't deter from the fact that it is a fantastic rpg none the less.

No score from most big sites just shows how casual the media is... congratulations your fanboys of news outlets equivalent to air headed celebrity magazines of gaming. where watch doge ends up being on the front page for a month. I

Remember watching a video of Witcher 2 with this young person (who doesn't appear to be 20 yet) saying he wouldn't play Witcher 2 if it wasn't consoles.

Or was it the other one with the red hair? It's difficult to tell them apart.

#29 Edited by Gue1 (9356 posts) -

lol herms are thirsty.

#30 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@system-reboot said:

No. its a trash

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Raven is part of Activision and got killed by them. The small amount of people that still work there is making COD DLC now

Yeah, I'm sure they would do a waaaaaaay better job at creating a classic FPS than Machine Games did.

And your sense of nostalgia blinds you. RTCW had way less secrets in its levels than The New Order did, stop kidding yourself.

last time i check RTCW was not very slow paced, terrible level design, on rail segment.

new order is NOTHING like RTCW. it doesnot even have soundtracks as good as RTCW.

raven didnot make RTCW. gray matter did. and now they sold out to activision.

who are machine games? talentless hacks?

#31 Posted by 7MDMA (240 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Zassimick said:
@freedomfreak said:

Spot. On.

DOS was developed by a professional team with a proven track record that goes back over a decade. So indie in terms of not having a publisher and splashing out on a massive marketing campaign but very competent where it matters most. You're spot on about the graphics: the game looks as good as you can hope an isometric game to be up there with the likes of Diablo 3.

#32 Posted by Dasein808 (217 posts) -

Lol.

Right...

#33 Posted by commonfate (12086 posts) -

I'd say you got a pretty good return on this one so far.

#34 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6553 posts) -

LOL RPG's

#35 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

lol herms are thirsty.

you jelly?

#36 Edited by Gue1 (9356 posts) -
#37 Edited by cainetao11 (16462 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Dude you have become the McLaughlin of System Wars. Every thread you pose a question. I like it LOL

#38 Posted by cainetao11 (16462 posts) -

Dude you have ruffled multiple comments by people here. If top down is bad because its 2014, then 2D like Max, Resogun have to be held to that year standard also. Screw GOTY. That's just like an Oscar, a paper weight.

Dark souls 2 will still win goty. Except kevin most of the GS staff doesn't appreciate these types of games.

WHAT?!!! Not Kinect Sports Rivals?!!!!

#39 Posted by StormyJoe (4736 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: consoles vs PC... only relevant in GameSpot system wars. Neither Sony, Nintendo, or MS consider the "PC" to be a competing platform for their consoles.

#40 Posted by Dasein808 (217 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Dude you have become the McLaughlin of System Wars. Every thread you pose a question. I like it LOL

Awesome.

"WRONG! Jack Jarmondo?!...WRONG!"

#41 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Meanwhile Ryse 4.0, Killzone 3 7.0

#42 Posted by BldgIrsh (1225 posts) -

Always has to be a consolite that brings up these threads.

#43 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (449 posts) -

Can consoles defeat PC this year?

#44 Posted by Daious (1020 posts) -

Doubt it, Dark Souls One was better.

#45 Edited by foxhound_fox (87329 posts) -

When have consoles ever defeated PC?

And with the Xbone and PS4's abysmal exclusive lineups for the rest of 2014, this must be some kind of horrible joke to even give consolites the mere hope of the idea.

#46 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

@daious said:

@jeager_titan said:

Dark Souls 1 being better doesn't mean Dark souls 2 won't win goty.

#47 Posted by parkurtommo (25940 posts) -

I don't even care man. I don't see how a system can win a year.

#48 Posted by OhSnapitz (18016 posts) -

Isn't this considered spamming..

#49 Posted by parkurtommo (25940 posts) -

@daious said:

@jeager_titan said:

Dark Souls 1 being better doesn't mean Dark souls 2 won't win goty.

Dark Souls 1 didn't get goty, either.

Since Demon's Souls got goty in 2009, and the Dark Souls series is extremely derivative, it would be a waste to give DS2 a goty award.

#50 Edited by Krelian-co (10208 posts) -

another garbage flamebait thread from the garbage kid, seriously mods are useless.