Can anything stop Destiny from becoming GOTY?

• 95 results
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (18366 posts) -

After playing the beta/demo on PS4 (definitive version), I really don't think so. This game looks gorgeous, plays extremely well, is a blast to play online, both competitively and cooperatively, and the production values are just incredible. Imagine if they didn't have to cross develop for last gen consoles? Would've been even sweeter. So it's definitely my GOTY pick. What about you SW? In terms of GOTY competition, possible contenders are:

Dark Souls II
Tifanfall
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Watch_Dogs
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Evil Within
Battlefield: Hardline
Evolve
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Civilization: Beyond Earth
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
LBP 3
Sunset Overdrive
Tales of Hearts R (kidding)
______ (fill in the blank)

Am i rite or am i rite?

#2 Edited by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

You know, that demo is pretty much what the game is going to be. I found it ok but it really does lack the funny that BL2 had. It won't be wining GOTY this year thats for sure.

#3 Posted by lglz1337 (3879 posts) -

FH2!

#4 Edited by m3dude1 (1477 posts) -

the fact that its incredibly boring will probably stop it. also some of the games on your list are massive lol

#5 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

The best Hack N Slash of last gen, coupled with the best Hack N slash of this Gen thus far.

Bayonetta 2.

#6 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2895 posts) -

easily

pick any game that came out this year or is coming out during this fall.Every game is better than destiny.

#7 Edited by Krelian-co (11642 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 or maybe DA:I if it's actually good.

#8 Posted by Blabadon (27144 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes and Dark Souls 2 already are much more fun than the alpha was.

#9 Posted by Jacanuk (4980 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Yes Destiny can stop Destiny from becoming GOTY because its not special.

#10 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9306 posts) -

Yes, everything.

#11 Posted by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

Mario Kart 8 has already secured itself as GOTY. Seriously considering anything else is just wishful thinking.

#12 Posted by blackace (21073 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Yes, everything.

Yeah.. pretty much. i doubt very much it will get GOTY. There are still better games coming out this year. I'd take Witcher 3 to be in the Top 5 at least.

#13 Posted by Flubbbs (3310 posts) -

Oddworld

#14 Posted by mems_1224 (47444 posts) -

Haven't played it but Destiny looks really mediocre to me. Its like they took Halo and Boderlands, mixed them together and sucked all the personality out of both. Evolve looks so much better right now.

#15 Posted by Consternated (498 posts) -

Activision not sending their bribes out on time.

#16 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5492 posts) -

destiny has goty on lock

#17 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5819 posts) -
@blackace said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Yes, everything.

Yeah.. pretty much. i doubt very much it will get GOTY. There are still better games coming out this year. I'd take Witcher 3 to be in the Top 5 at least.

The Witcher 3 is two thousand and fifteen.

#18 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (656 posts) -

Elite Dangerous will be my real GOTY. destiny looks bad.

#19 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9969 posts) -

Well the lacks of game this year enables Destiny to get the GOTY simply cuz it has the most hype.

But knowing GS, they'll give it to Super Smash Bros

#20 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (3343 posts) -

Does it have enough hype? If so, and it sells alot, i can see it happening.

#21 Posted by Zero5000X (8219 posts) -

Sites don't like to give big, mainstream multiplats GOTY. I think it will be my personal GOTY, but I am expecting the big winner to be Evolve.

#22 Edited by cainetao11 (17981 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

FH2!

Not a chance, KSR!!!!

#23 Posted by starwolf474 (736 posts) -

Destiny sucks; there is no way that it is going to be game of the year. I think most places will give game of the year to Titanfall. My personal game of the year thus far is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

#24 Posted by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

Interesting that divinity: original sin was left out. Worried much?

#25 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Evolve and Far Cry 4 will probably be better games. I really dig Destiny though, it fixes my itch for a Borderlands-like FPS experience. But throughout the Alpha and Beta, I find the story to be bland lol I think that is what will hold it back the most

#26 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4282 posts) -

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks better imo . But then again , they have 500 million dollars , so ...

#27 Posted by Minishdriveby (10123 posts) -

I'm more excited for other games. To be honest, I'm not interested in Destiny in the slightest.

#28 Posted by yokofox33 (30023 posts) -

Nope. It's GOTY. It might be Game of the Century. Destiny is the king of all games.

#29 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4165 posts) -

Smash.

#30 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72953 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Gamespot won't make it GOTY, Last of Us had the most votes last year when all editors voted on their favorite 5, and yet Zelda won.

#31 Posted by Basinboy (11273 posts) -

There's potential in Evolve, Civilization:BE, Sunset Overdrive, and FC4. Any of those could wind up pushing Destiny from consideration.

But Destiny is a solid game - very much molds Borderlands' structure and MMO elements into one.

#32 Posted by dakan45 (18637 posts) -

Thats the 500m marketing budget speaking, destiny is not goty.

#33 Posted by silversix_ (14986 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 and for me i don't think Destiny stands a chance against DS2

#34 Posted by cfisher2833 (1720 posts) -

This a joke? Destiny? Really!?

#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

My personal goty will probably be ether DA3, Dark Souls 2, Wolfenstien TNO, Destiny or Divinity Original Sin. As for GS giving out the goty it will probably be ether Dark Souls 2 or Destiny.

#36 Posted by pelvist (4941 posts) -

Probably the game being not very good will stop it from being GOTY.

#37 Edited by smashed_pinata (3280 posts) -

Destiny GOTY? lol

Oh cows never stop surprising me. What a joke!

Destiny isn't even in the top 10 for best games of the year sorry, so it has no chance.

#38 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

It's not GOTY material I don't think. It's decent but horribly repetitive and not nearly as grand as they were leading people to believe

#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16972 posts) -

Doubt it will get goty. Even with its 1 billion marketing budget

#40 Posted by cfisher2833 (1720 posts) -

I'd be amazed if it even got best FPS of the year; that'll probably go to Wolfenstein.

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (58890 posts) -

Civilization Beyond Earth, Mario Kart 8, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Super Smash Bros. could all potentially give it a run for its money. I think the media will just buy into the hype and give it GotY like they do with so many other games though.

I'm curious to see what Gamespot's Game of the Year will be. They've made some very curious (and in my mind, commendable) decisions for GotY the last five years or so, so it will be interesting to see what game they decide to go with this year.

#43 Posted by PapaTrop (1643 posts) -

GOTY will go to Sakura Spirit on the PC.

#44 Posted by cfisher2833 (1720 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Civilization Beyond Earth, Mario Kart 8, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Super Smash Bros. could all potentially give it a run for its money. I think the media will just buy into the hype and give it GotY like they do with so many other games though.

I'm curious to see what Gamespot's Game of the Year will be. They've made some very curious (and in my mind, commendable) decisions for GotY the last five years or so, so it will be interesting to see what game they decide to go with this year.

You're a mod now too!? God damn, everyone's becoming a mod. Anyway, they've already said some of the potential nominees: Divinity Original Sin, Wolfenstein, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, and a few others. Link

#46 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8521 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Dark Souls 2 and for me i don't think Destiny stands a chance against DS2

LOL Dark Souls 2

#47 Posted by Roler42 (782 posts) -

The wolf among us and The Walking Dead Season 2 might get in the way >.>

inb4loladventuregames

#48 Posted by charizard1605 (58890 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

@charizard1605 said:

You're a mod now too!? God damn, everyone's becoming a mod. Anyway, they've already said some of the potential nominees: Divinity Original Sin, Wolfenstein, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, and a few others. Link

Oh wow, haha, I got my picks right then :p

I really need to play Divinity, everyone's raving about it, it sounds so good.

#49 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16843 posts) -

If the game ends up sucking then I'd say that could ruin its chances.

#50 Posted by cfisher2833 (1720 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Oh wow, haha, I got my picks right then :p

I really need to play Divinity, everyone's raving about it, it sounds so good.

It really is. Even if you don't particularly enjoy a whimsical, comedic RPG world that has you helping cats like Unsinkable Sam get with the love of his life or paying a prostitute to chat it up with a lonely bridge troll, you should still enjoy the incredibly deep, tactical turn-based combat--I'd honestly go so far as to say it's the best turn-based RPG combat I've ever encountered, with only non-RPG games like XCOM and Advance Wars coming close to its depths.