Can anyone deny that 2012 is PS3/Sony's worst year this gen?

• 199 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

I honestly feel that this year has been a complete letdown for PS3 owners. Lets compare this years offerings to previous years this gen

- 2006/2007 (2006 was not a full year for PS3 so I combined it with 2007)

• Resistance: Fall of Man- 8.8
  • Warhawk- 8.5
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune- 8.0
  • Ridge Racer 7- 8.0
  • Heavenly Sword- 8.0
  • Motorstorm- 7.9
  • The Eye of Judgement- 7.5
  • Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction- 7.5
  • Folklore- 7.0

• Metal Gear Solid 4 - Perfect 10 (GOTY)
  • Resistance 2- 9.0
  • Little Big Planet- 9.0
  • Valkyrie Chronicles - 8.5
  • Motorstorm: Pacific Rift- 8.0
  • Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm- 7.5
  • Buzz! Quiz TV- 7.5
  • Singstar- 7.5
  • GT5 Prologue- 7.5
  • Hot Shots Golf- 7.5
  • SIREN: BLood Curse- 7.0

• Uncharted 2: Among Thieves- 9.5
  • Killzone 2- 9.0
  • Demon's Souls- 9.0 (GOTY)
  • Infamous- 9.0
  • Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time- 8.5
  • Katamari Forever -7.0

• God of War 3 - 9.0
  • Heavy Rain- 8.5
  • Gran Turismo 5- 8.0
  • Modnation Racers- 8.0
  • Yakuza 3- 8.0
  • MLB 10: The Show- 8.0
  • MAG - 8.0
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes - 7.5
  • Sports Champions - 7.5
  • Trinity Universe- 7.0

• Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 9.0
  • Little Big Planet 2- 9.0
  • Killzone 3 - 8.5
  • Resistance 3 - 8.5
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse - 8.5
  • Yakuza 4 - 8.0
  • MLB 11:The Show - 8.0
  • Disgaea 4- 7.5
  • Infamous 2 - 7.5
  • Socom 4 - 7.5
  • Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - 7.0

And here we have 2012

• Twisted Metal - 8.0
  • Starhawk - 7.5
  • Tales of Graces F - 7.0
  • Wonderbook - 8.0 (lol)
  • LBP Karting - 7.0

What the hell happened here? It's like Sony just completely took a year off from making games. Previous years we were showered in quality exclusives, but this year has been underwhelming to say the least. I have played my PS3 for a grand total of 3 hours this entire year. This is the time it took me to play through Journey two separate times.

#2 Posted by Chutebox (37236 posts) -

They were due. But yes, it's their worst.

#3 Posted by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

Starhawk is fun so it's already good for me (: and i'm looking forward to little big planet karting...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22218435.jpg

#4 Posted by Planeforger (15730 posts) -
I was going to say that their first year was the worst, but...huh, is that really all they've had this year? I'm honestly surprised by that. Are they just ramping down production in preparation for the PS4, or...?
#5 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Chutebox

^This. It's a pretty laughable year for them. Next year looks much better, though.

#6 Posted by PatchMaster (6013 posts) -

You should probably add in PS All-Stars before the cows start b1tchin.

#7 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

I was going to say that their first year was the worst, but...huh, is that really all they've had this year? I'm honestly surprised by that. Are they just ramping down production in preparation for the PS4, or...?Planeforger

I honestly don't know. Sony has a bunch of games slated for 2012 like The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Ni No Kuni, Sly 4, and possibly (althought it's a stretch) The Last Guardian and FFVs13

#8 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

PatchMaster

PS All Stars is on Vita so it's not exclusive. They can moo all they want about it but I'm not changing it.

#9 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

PatchMaster

They can b!tch all they want. Adding a mediocre Smash Bros. ripoff makes little difference.

#10 Posted by Chutebox (37236 posts) -

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]I was going to say that their first year was the worst, but...huh, is that really all they've had this year? I'm honestly surprised by that. Are they just ramping down production in preparation for the PS4, or...?BPoole96

I honestly don't know. Sony has a bunch of games slated for 2012 like The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Ni No Kuni, Sly 4, and possibly (althought it's a stretch) The Last Guardian and FFVs13

:|

#11 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]I was going to say that their first year was the worst, but...huh, is that really all they've had this year? I'm honestly surprised by that. Are they just ramping down production in preparation for the PS4, or...?Chutebox

Dat vaporware.
#12 Posted by Chutebox (37236 posts) -
[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

DarkLink77
They can b!tch all they want,. Adding a mediocre Smash Bros. ripoff makes little difference.

Careful now, you don't want to get Fabled do you?
#13 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]I was going to say that their first year was the worst, but...huh, is that really all they've had this year? I'm honestly surprised by that. Are they just ramping down production in preparation for the PS4, or...?Chutebox

Stranger things have happened, like Fable: The Journey getting AAE :P

#14 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
Excuse me, but that's WONDERBOOK in there. The one and only.
#15 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

Chutebox
They can b!tch all they want,. Adding a mediocre Smash Bros. ripoff makes little difference.

Careful now, you don't want to get Fabled do you?

Hey, that was my thread. :P And not gonna happen. It may score okay (I thinking AE), but I'd be shocked at anything beyond that. The gameplay just isn't that great.
#16 Posted by todd2r_Partdeux (780 posts) -
I don't think there's any denying that TC. This year is bad for the failstation 3. It's the worst console of all time honestly. Give me 32X or Virtual Boy any day of the week. The only thing saving the ps3 for me is the blu ray player. Otherwise, I think I would've taken that piece of dog crap, wrapped it up real nice, and given it to a local coke wh0re so she can buy some blow.
#17 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Give me 32X or Virtual Boy any day of the week.todd2r_Partdeux

tumblr_m3vx6xoEMw1rnlx91.gif

#18 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9477 posts) -
Unfortunately, I agree but its really late into the gen (probably only one or two years left until next gen consoles launch) and the PS3 seems like its going to go out with a bang in 2013. If I had to put my money on something, it would be this ... http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-4-game-development-stretching-sony-studios-thin/
#19 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

This is definitely the worst year gamewise for the PS3. Next year looks much better atleast.

#20 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

MOOOO:P

#21 Posted by themajormayor (25797 posts) -
Yes it's the worst by far
#22 Posted by lamprey263 (23973 posts) -
I'd say their first year was the worst year, sure you're pointing out exclusive releases but multiplats more than make up for that now, their first year the PS3 didn't have that much multiplatform support, not like they got in later years, and their exclusives weren't that good that first year either, and Sony would be taking a big financial hit on the PS3 during that first year as well.
#23 Posted by PatchMaster (6013 posts) -

Yes it's the worst by farthemajormayor

See? Doesn't it feel good to be honest with yourself?

#24 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -
You forgot All Stars Battle Royale. ;)

But yes, it is probably the worst year. Although in fairness alot of it is a matter of timing, Holiday 2012 is weak, but spring 2013 is massive. 2013 might be the last big year for PS3 (before PS4/720 launch) and it's looking to be a HUGE year in terms of games.

Last of Us God of War: Ascension Ni No Kuni Sly 4

aren't all of these just in the spring? I'm not even looking out the full year but it's looking pretty strong already. Since those are all "early 2013" games, it's hard to see any of them falling outside of 2013. So no matter what, even if some of their other games end up delayed further (Beyond: Two Souls, Last Guardian, Puppeteer,etc), 2013 looks like a really huge year for PS3, and it might actually go out with it's best year ever leading into the PS4 launch.
#25 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Yes it's the worst by farPatchMaster

I don't think there is anyone delusional enough to disagree. This year has been abysmal for PS3 owners

#26 Posted by PatchMaster (6013 posts) -

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Yes it's the worst by farBPoole96

I don't think there is anyone delusional enough to disagree. This year has been abysmal for PS3 owners

You know better than this.

#27 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11861 posts) -

Yeah, but this is a poor year for gaming as a whole.

#28 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

PhazonBlazer
This winter is going to kick ass, and we've been getting quality games all year. 2011 was far worse.
#29 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

PatchMaster

You know better than this.

That's true. Kuraiman, tormentos, and 4dr1el haven't provided their input

#30 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11861 posts) -

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

DarkLink77

This winter is going to kick ass, and we've been getting quality games all year. 2011 was far worse.

I actually liked 2011 better, but there are some great games coming later this year but overall I've only bought like 3 games that came out this year so far.

#31 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -

PhazonBlazer

Gaming (as a whole) is in a freefall this year.

Although with Wii-U launch coming, and with holiday season, we should finally start to see an uptick overall. With new console coming might actually start to see Y.O.Y gains instead of just declining with pretty much every comp you can come up with for the industry.

Gamestop stock is up like 50% off it's low, in just barely a few months. So investors must finally be anticipating a bit of a turnaround coming.

#32 Posted by Heil68 (44658 posts) -

Chutebox
Yea, it was a great 4 years(how long I've owned the PS3), but 2012 is pretty weak. 2013 has GOW and a game from Naughty Gods, so those 2 games for me, will be better than this year not to mention Ni No Kuni and Sly 4. Good thing I got PC :D
#33 Posted by Gue1 (10020 posts) -

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

DarkLink77

They can b!tch all they want. Adding a mediocre Smash Bros. ripoff makes little difference.

so you already played the game? :roll:

#34 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

Gue1

Beta, son.
#35 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

They just decided to take a well deserved break from kicking ass. They will be back next year :)

Gaming has been rather slow in 2012 though, not just on Sony's end.

#36 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

It's not a bad year for PS3. It is a bad year Sony.

#37 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11861 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They can b!tch all they want. Adding a mediocre Smash Bros. ripoff makes little difference.

DarkLink77

Beta, son.

I really wish I could've been in the beta just to see if it's worth buying to play online.

#38 Posted by funsohng (27956 posts) -
Eh, it has multiplats.
#39 Posted by spookykid143 (10393 posts) -

It was a slow year but I had fun with Yakuza Dead Souls.

#40 Posted by RR360DD (11956 posts) -
I dunno. 2007, 2010 and 2012 are all shlt for the PS3
#41 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10470 posts) -

they had great PSN releases like sound shapes and journey ( i just downloaded retro city gonna what all the fuss about it ) but I agree disk-based it's multiplat this year and that was also average so far, the coming months though will have amazing games releasing..

#42 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -
I dunno. 2007, 2010 and 2012 are all shlt for the PS3RR360DD
2007 and 2010 are nowhere near as sh!tty as 2012. 2007 kind of has an excuse since the PS3 was a pain in the ass to dev for and nobody was used to it.
#43 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -

I dunno. 2007, 2010 and 2012 are all shlt for the PS3RR360DD

wut? 2010 is arguably the BEST. Lots of great games, and some underappreciated ones too.

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 were all great years. Of those I'd say maybe 2008 is overrated, it might have MGS with it's perfect 10, but look at the list puffed up wtih GT5 "prologue" version, Buzz, Singstar, Hot Shots Golf (i love me some golf, but come on man), Naruto (LOL). I also think Resistance 2 was one of the most grossly overrated games of the gen.

So yeah, 2008 was an overrated year compared to 2010, 2011, etc.

#44 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

Hey TC theres a little thing called PS vita which sony released this year, of course they were going to focus on that be serious now, the only year PS3 lacks as many exclusives as it did before just happens to be the year they release a new system, c'mon now.

PS Vita exclusives:

Assassins Creed: Liberations
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Black ops: Declassified
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Little Big Planet: Vita
Gravity Rush
Killzone Mercenary
Unit 13
Army Corps

PS3 exclusives:

Twisted Metal
Journey
Little big planet karting
Dust
Starhawk
Yakuza 5
Ni No Kuni

I think the PS Vita alone has more exclusives then Xbox this year lol :D

#45 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11861 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]I dunno. 2007, 2010 and 2012 are all shlt for the PS32Chalupas

wut? 2010 is arguably the BEST. Lots of great games, and some underappreciated ones too.

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 were all great years. Of those I'd say maybe 2008 is overrated, it might have MGS with it's perfect 10, but look at the list puffed up wtih GT5 "prologue" version, Buzz, Singstar, Hot Shots Golf (i love me some golf, but come on man), Naruto (LOL). I also think Resistance 2 was one of the most grossly overrated games of the gen.

So yeah, 2008 was an overrated year compared to 2010, 2011, etc.

I'm sorry but I really don't remember 2010 being that good besides God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, and Heavy Rain.

#46 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

Hey TC theres a little thing called PS vita which sony released this year, of course they were going to focus on that be serious now, the only year PS3 lacks as many exclusives as it did before just happens to be the year they release a new system, c'mon now.

PS Vita exclusives:

Gravity Rush
Killzone Mercenary
Unit 13
Army Corps

PS3 exclusives:

Twisted Metal
Journey
Dust
Starhawk
Yakuza 5
Ni No Kuni

Z-Fatalis

I, like an overwhelming majority of the population, do not care about the Vita. If Sony couldn't handle launching enough games to satisfy both platforms than they should have waited until they could.

#47 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

PS Vita exclusives:

Gravity Rush
Killzone Mercenary
Unit 13
Army Corps

PS3 exclusives:

Twisted Metal
Journey
Dust
Starhawk
Yakuza 5
Ni No Kuni

BPoole96

I, like an overwhelming majority of the population, do not care about the Vita. If Sony couldn't handle launching enough games to satisfy both platforms than they should have waited until they could.

Like when though? for all we know next year PS4 and 720 could be released and that would be a horrible time to release, and it doesnt really matter about how many people care about the Vita, the point is thats the reason for lack of PS3 support this year

#48 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
well if you choose to ignore the vita/ps3 games..then ye i guess it does look lackluster... But since i dont choose to ignore them..breaking the SW rule... this year is probably on par with some of sonys other years.
#49 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

All the year's looked bad to me, not really my cup of tea.

#50 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Z-Fatalis"]

PS Vita exclusives:

Gravity Rush
Killzone Mercenary
Unit 13
Army Corps

PS3 exclusives:

Twisted Metal
Journey
Dust
Starhawk
Yakuza 5
Ni No Kuni

Z-Fatalis

Like when though? for all we know next year PS4 and 720 could be released and that would be a horrible time to release, and it doesnt really matter about how many people care about the Vita, the point is thats the reason for lack of PS3 support this year

Now would have been a good time to launch the Vita. But the Vita is irrelevant in the context of this thread. The Ps3 had a terrible year. Using the Vita as a qualifier does not make this year suck any less for the PS3