Can a game be in development for too long?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts

I know what your thinking "how can a game be in development for too long? more time the better I say." Hear me out. Think of making a game like raising a child;you feed him, take care of him and teach him good manners and values,then when the time is right you send him of to be either a productive member of society or a hobo living under the bridge slowly drinking himself to death. But there are some parents that just won't let go which brings be to my first example

:Dev time, 10 years

Too human is like the 40 year old guy who lives with his over-smothering mom who decides to go out and find a place nearby. Too Humanwas downright awful and just felt like it had too many tweaks to it. why it took so, long and cost so much money I don't know, but what I do know is the devs had this one on there hands a bit too long. But what about the game with a rather short development cycle?

:Dev time, 2 years.

That's right folks, 2 years. 2 years to make the engine, 2 years to writhe a story, 2 years to make the campaign 2 years to tweak the graphics and 2 years to develop the fantastic multiplayer which people are still playing today. Everything about CoD4 was fantastic, yes the sp was kind of short, but it was fun while it lasted! "But there are games that have been in development for a real long time and are fantastic. what about them?"

:Dev time, 6 years

Half-life 2 is debatably the greatest FPS of all time. Now i don't know whether its the fact that Valve is a smaller company than most, or if there perfectionist. But what I do know is, this is an example of time, money and effort being used properly. Lets hope some of the other vaporware games can pull this off, if they are ever released.)

:Dev time, I lost track. Can some one refresh my memory?

tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tOtalPWNaAe
Member since 2008 • 3375 Posts
Killzone 2 four years
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts

Should add Team Fortress 2 on there. I know that game took a long time to develop.

bdum_pshhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bdum_pshhh
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
Killzone 2 four years tOtalPWNaAe
they built a new engine from scratch to go with that, so it's reasonable
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts
If the game turns out excellent, I don't care how long it took to make. However if it's like Too Human, where it was in development for almost a decade and ended up being mediocre, I would be pissed
bdum_pshhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bdum_pshhh
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
I don't really care about development time, but i hate it when devs/publishers reveal a game too early. e.g. FFXIII
clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts
I don't really care about development time, but i hate it when devs/publishers reveal a game too early. e.g. FFXIIIbdum_pshhh
Yes, I can't stand that either.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
I think the only real bad effects of long dev. time is possible loss of interest, changes in gaming standards and budgets and expectations growing unrealistic. Aside from that good games are good and bad games suck. I think its more about time management and resouces. I dont think a game can suck because it took to long, I think it would suck because the gameplay is outdated and boring.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
Starcraft 2 is on 5 years I think. I don't mind, it's going to be awesome
Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts

Haze was in development to long, if it was a launch title I cout have seen it getting AA status

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

The fact that people still think Too Human had a 10 year development time makes me sad. It wasn't a 10 year development cycle people...

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Yes. Starcraft: Ghost.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

The fact that people still think Too Human had a 10 year development time makes me sad. It wasn't a 10 year development cycle people...

spinecaton
Well it depends what we mean by "development time". Does development time start when the first bit of code, the first textures, the first models are being created, or the moment that they start writing the story? The moment they get funding for a project? If its the moment they get funding for a project, then the decade dev time is pretty accurate. I know they switched ideas and platforms, and the game changed over time, but it was still the same project.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Devs really shouldn't be spending more than 4 years max on a game though honestly in my opinion it should only be 3. Devs however shouldn't be annoucing games more than a year in advance. Also the dev time really needs to be in terms of what the publisher can reasonably hope for. THQ should never have games in development for more than 2 years while someone like Capcom can obviously handle it.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts
Duke Nukem Forever is like 14 years now lol or 12 not sure.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Should add Team Fortress 2 on there. I know that game took a long time to develop.

Spartan8907
Yeah it took forever. I think it was supposed to be revealed in 2000 and it had a realistic art style, I'm happy they changed it up.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
depends on the game. a sports game...yea it can be. if its in development for 5 years then its roster and possibly some of its teams will have changed and the game becomes less relevant. something like an elderscrolls though.....i dont think 3 years is long enough for a game like that. setting business issues aside, ideally an elder scrolls game should be in the oven for 4-5 years before being released. spore, despite being in development for donkeys years, was arguably released too early. the technology was ready but the games content still needed more time. the scope of spore is so massive that a game to really show it off would take several years to do right (in reality, i dont think a game to do the spore platform justice, so to speak, could be made in anything less than 15-20 years. it would essentially be a lifes work). it depends on the ambition and scope of a game.
MBP_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MBP_King
Member since 2009 • 903 Posts

Doesn't bother me how long they take as long as the game is good.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

II_Seraphim_II

Well it depends what we mean by "development time". Does development time start when the first bit of code, the first textures, the first models are being created, or the moment that they start writing the story? The moment they get funding for a project? If its the moment they get funding for a project, then the decade dev time is pretty accurate. I know they switched ideas and platforms, and the game changed over time, but it was still the same project.

The only that didn't change was the name, the concept, the story, the characters all changed from when it first started.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No. As long as the game is released in a finished state up to what the developers wanted, then I could care less how long it took them to make it.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

The only that didn't change was the name, the concept, the story, the characters all changed from when it first started.

yeah but the game was in development. Its like when a publisher says "ok you have 3 years to bring out your next book"...it doesnt matter if 2 years in a change the name of the book, the story, the characters, everything, its still been in development for 2 years because it took me those 2 years to come to a point I would never have reached, the point where I changed everything. Had I never started writing the old book, I would never have felt that it was bad and I would never have changed it completely. Everything we do is connected, they changed a lot of the game because of the experiences they had developing it in its previous forms.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Javy03
[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

Well thats all part of the creative proccess. Projects change over time as people brainstorm, changes happen, and timelines change. The same thing happened to Dark Sector, granted in a much smaller period of time. It went from a sci fi background and story in the future to the current story, characters and timeline. Some changes are more drastic then other but they still worked on the same project little by little over the 10 years. I say that still counts as development time. Not to mention the fact that when the game was being hyped the whole 10 years in the making was something they loved to mention and brag about until it got reviewed.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Well it depends what we mean by "development time". Does development time start when the first bit of code, the first textures, the first models are being created, or the moment that they start writing the story? The moment they get funding for a project? If its the moment they get funding for a project, then the decade dev time is pretty accurate. I know they switched ideas and platforms, and the game changed over time, but it was still the same project.II_Seraphim_II

yeah but the game was in development. Its like when a publisher says "ok you have 3 years to bring out your next book"...it doesnt matter if 2 years in a change the name of the book, the story, the characters, everything, its still been in development for 2 years because it took me those 2 years to come to a point I would never have reached, the point where I changed everything. Had I never started writing the old book, I would never have felt that it was bad and I would never have changed it completely. Everything we do is connected, they changed a lot of the game because of the experiences they had developing it in its previous forms.

The PS1 verion was in development started 1999 then it was cancelled. In 2005 the game was shown again with everything changed but the name. I don't care what you say the 360 version of Too Human was not in development for 10 years.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Javy03

The PS1 verion was in development started 1999 then it was cancelled. In 2005 the game was shown again with everything changed but the name. I don't care what you say the 360 version of Too Human was not in development for 10 years.

spinecaton

Here is what wikipedia has on Too Human's development:

"Too Human was first announced in 1999 to be released on the original Sony PlayStation with a first teaser showings during E3 that same year.[12] Unlike its eventual format on the Xbox 360 as a single disc, the game was to be released across four CD-ROMs bundled together (a similar format to that of Final Fantasy VIII released in 1999). Also, unlike the finished product, the plot, while involving the theme of human cybernetic enhancements, was to be set in the distant future of 2450 AD instead of the alternate science fiction take on Norse Mythology.[12]

Development halted when Nintendo announced an exclusive partnership with Silicon Knights, and the game was moved to the Nintendo GameCube in 2000. Prototyping for the game took place on the GameCube, but the staff at Silicon Knights soon devoted their efforts towards two other releases, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, with further news over Too Human becoming mute, without any indication of future development being announced until five years later in 2005.[13]"

So as you see alot more was kept then just the title, the whole concept of cybernetic enhancements was kept which is also another reason why it was the same project and same name all this time. The setting is different but as I explained to you, Dark Sector did the exact same thing, changing settings drastically but that didnt mean it wasnt developed during its early stages. Its obviously a tough call because its not like we have a timesheet showing exactly how much time during those 10 years was dedicated to making this game but I am sure the simple fact the game finally came out with such a large budget means that they were bouncing ideas for this game for a while before pitching it to MS.

tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tOtalPWNaAe
Member since 2008 • 3375 Posts
dont know if this counts but: Super Mario 128 falls into two categories; the first being one of the most wanted games of all time, the second being one of the biggest screw overs in the entire history of gaming. When I think of Mario 128 I hate Nintendo. I want my Mario 64 sequel, I don't want Mario Sunshine, I don't want Mario Galaxy. I want my Mario 128. Miyamoto referred to Mario 128 in 1997 as a possible name for a Mario 64 sequel, it was mentioned again at Spaceworld in 2000, along with a video. The game seemed certain. In 2002, Miyamoto confirmed the development of 128. It was coming, we were sure of it. In 2003 we were told in wouldn't appear on the Gamecube at all, okay not the end of the world, we're still getting it though, right? It was once again confirmed at E3 2004. Where the hell was it? Reggie Fils-Aime, stated that Super Mario 128 would be shown at E3 2005. This was the point where most people thought that the game would finally surface. But oh no, it failed to appear. Later that year it was revealed Mario 128 would finally surface on the Wii. However it was in 2006 that Nintendo pulled the biggest switcheroo you'll ever see, Miyamoto finally confirmed that the project was no more, and that bits and pieces of the concept had evolved into the Wii title Super Mario Galaxy. After 9 years of being led on, they screwed us over. So much for Nintendo being "friendly". Mario 128 is one of the most hyped cancelled games ever, you can't hype a game that much then say you scrapped it. That's just not right. For this, I hate Ninty, Mario and Luigi, but especially Luigi.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spinecaton

So as you see alot more was kept then just the title, the whole concept of cybernetic enhancements was kept which is also another reason why it was the same project and same name all this time. The setting is different but as I explained to you, Dark Sector did the exact same thing, changing settings drastically but that didnt mean it wasnt developed during its early stages. Its obviously a tough call because its not like we have a timesheet showing exactly how much time during those 10 years was dedicated to making this game but I am sure the simple fact the game finally came out with such a large budget means that they were bouncing ideas for this game for a while before pitching it to MS.

Javy03

In your own link you stated that the development was halted around 2000. As you stated we don't exactly how many years in between they were working on it but I can guarantee that is wasn't in development for the full 10 years.

Keep-the-Faith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Keep-the-Faith
Member since 2009 • 841 Posts

Anything beyond 3 years isnt worth it.

I mean, your in grade 9 and you hear about KZ2.

You graduate highschool and are on the way to college or university...........do you really care enough by then to buy KZ2 when its done?

According to non-Halo 3 sales, my theory has merit.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#28 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

perfect dark zero is 6 years,

and it proves that it shouldnt have been in development that long because there was very little effort put into it

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
the Alan Wake dev is really really small and they have a history of taking forever and not revealing much with there games
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

balmost 10 years

aI think its like 4 years now

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
half life 2 took a while because it got hacked from somebody. valve wanted to get get it off the internet fully. i didn't know alan wake took a while to make. i thought it was just a in development now to make.

doom 3 also took long to make.
DjCristii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DjCristii
Member since 2009 • 247 Posts
no, it doesnt matter