Can a digital only future ever be possible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts

Can it? We still sell music CD`s. And do we expect parents to really hand over their credit card to their kids so they can buy games and microtransactions online? Minecraft was a digital only game a long time before it was released as a disc based game, and it made the list of top 10 selling disc based games on Xbox 360 2013. I really can`t see an all digital future. Not even close.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

I don't think will see it for quite awhile yet, considering the growing size of video games, and the lack of fast Internet for many users around the globe.

I'm with you though, not into the whole digital future. I like physical copies, first and foremost I own it 100% with no limitation, and saves a lot of space on your HDD.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Yes it can especially now more than ever as i've noticed a lot of people getting less and less interested in psychical copies and that applies to me as well as i used to be against buying games digitally and more focused into owning the actual copies but not anymore due to how much shelf space physical copies take at home or the idea of going outside in a snow storm just to get a game or the fact that game shipments sometimes are delayed due to a storm when digitally you'd be right at home relaxing and getting the game on the spot without even worrying about paying things like tax for example.

i've already started going digital and dont buy games form the stores anymore :P

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Your examples are that currently disc based software is more popular, so not understanding the chosen examples when the question posed is about the future. To answer, yes it is, will it happen anytime soon? Probably not. There has to be an incentive to go DD, look at steam, it's caused an influx of DD on PC due to the sales it has causing games to cost less than in store generally. For consoles MS, Sony and Nintendo are probably unlikely at the moment to do such a model (though MS kind of tried with their previous always online stance) as it would undercut the physical stores which sell their games. So in short, it quite possibly will happen if that's what people want but not anytime soon at least until next gen at the earliest.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BuldozerX

I consider digital games as a long term rental. Do you really expect Microsoft and Sony to support these consoles forever? Everything digital on Dreamcast and first generation Xbox is dead long ago.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 finalstar2007

@soulitane said:

Your examples are that currently disc based software is more popular, so not understanding the chosen examples when the question posed is about the future. To answer, yes it is, will it happen anytime soon? Probably not. There has to be an incentive to go DD, look at steam, it's caused an influx of DD on PC due to the sales it has causing games to cost less than in store generally. For consoles MS, Sony and Nintendo are probably unlikely at the moment to do such a model (though MS kind of tried with their previous always online stance) as it would undercut the physical stores which sell their games. So in short, it quite possibly will happen if that's what people want but not anytime soon at least until next gen at the earliest.

Meanwhile in Canada game stores are increasing the price of video games.. currently all games cost $69.99 instead of $59.99... LOL at buying games from stores.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

It is coming. Look at all of our media. CD's are basically a novelty, we can get movies before or same day as theaters pushing discs away even more. Now we are starting to be offered game downloads cheaper than disc versions.

The end is nigh.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The average consumer will not be on board. Just look at how the PSP Go was received? Next-gen, 4K will be the norm and the data footprint of games will mushroom again. The hard copy sale is just too intrinsic to how the console industry functions and processes. For this reason, I expect the Steambox to face an uphill battle at first.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BuldozerX

@finalstar2007 said:

@soulitane said:

Meanwhile in Canada game stores are increasing the price of video games.. currently all games cost $69.99 instead of $59.99... LOL at buying games from stores.

I rather buy a $69 game than a $50 digital game. I feel like I get much more in return.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BuldozerX

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It is coming. Look at all of our media. CD's are basically a novelty, we can get movies before or same day as theaters pushing discs away even more. Now we are starting to be offered game downloads cheaper than disc versions.

The end is nigh.

You know they still sell a shit load of music CD`s?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

@soulitane said:

That's odd, here they're getting cheaper. Though that's mainly because people in my country just import from the UK as that's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new here. Though yeah, one thing digital can have over buying a physical copy is the price can (theoretically) be lower, though MS and Sony sometimes don't want to do that, at least in my country.

You should consider yourself luck though, new games here can cost $120 (though that's becoming rarer these days). Which in Canadian dollars I think translates to around $110 =p

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 finalstar2007

@BuldozerX said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@soulitane said:

I rather buy a $69 game than a $50 digital game. I feel like I get much more in return.

Trust me i used to be the exact same way but in few years you'll look at your shelf and see nothing but game boxes of games you've already played and finished ( and most likely will never play again ) then you'll ask yourself what the f**k am i supposed to do with all these boxes?

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BuldozerX

@finalstar2007 said:

@BuldozerX said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@soulitane said:

Trust me i used to be the exact same way but in few years you'll look at your shelf and see nothing but game boxes of games you've already played and finished ( and most likely will never play again ) then you'll ask yourself what the f**k am i supposed to do with all these boxes?

Play them again or give them to someone else once Sony or Microsoft refuse to keep these systems alive?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

In US only yet~~ But if you talk about worldwide than it might be a long long time before it is possible!

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

@finalstar2007: I've never felt that way wandering what I am going to do with my game boxes. Everybody has their preferences, but for majority of gamers they will prefer a physical copy.

I do, I don't want any limitations on something I paid for. I'll always prefer a physical copy over a digital any day.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Not anytime soon. Most of the world does not have fast internet and I like holding my games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Entirely digital? Not in the foreseeable future.....more people like physical copies than you think.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@BuldozerX said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

The end is nigh.

You know they still sell a shit load of music CD`s?

not compared to what "they" used to.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Digital will grow but physical is right beside it, but digital only is a long way off.

Long, long way off. Millions of people want to play games and either don't want their kids on the internet or simply don't have internet access.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Doubt it'll happen anytime soon, game file size is simply to big for it to be feasible for most people, add onto that consoles are closed platform meaning no competition so prices will stay higher for long, makes me laugh when I see new games for £40-50+ on PSN when you can pick up a physical copy £10-15 cheaper.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I've been all digital for about 6 months, so yes... but it won't be a mainstream option until bandwidth increases.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Yes. Hopefully they don't even put optical drives in the next gen units.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

It's possible now if you choose to buy only digital. But having options will always be the best and more consumer friendly way.

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24  Edited By vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

@BuldozerX said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@soulitane said:

Something you can't do with DD.... Sell the games you don't play anymore.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

People are starting to see the advantages of owning digital games.

maybe next generation

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Only if web companies had better and cheaper internet available in all areas.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@vitonemesis said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@BuldozerX said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@soulitane said:

Something you can't do with DD.... Sell the games you don't play anymore.

My friend was always trading in his games so he could afford new releases. He always regretted that decision every year or so. Now he's focused on buying digitally so he can own his games forever. I don't consider selling games a physical media advantage.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Cancers like Gamestop may push consoles into digital only territory sooner than you think.

PC gamers got used to Steam. There'll be a lot of bitching and moaning but consolites will adapt.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Boddicker said:

Cancers like Gamestop may push consoles into digital only territory sooner than you think.

PC gamers got used to Steam. There'll be a lot of bitching and moaning but consolites will adapt.

Screening out potential customers is never a good idea. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, should have equal access to products. Sadly, there are still loads of areas filled with people that still don't have access to broadband internet.

I can't believe that in this day and age, with such a heavy reliance on it, some companies hold monopolies over large areas outside of big cities, and deny access to them because of cost efficiency, yet they wont allow any one else to provide it in their perceived territory.

In instances like that, the government should step in and make it mandatory that everyone has access to something so important.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

My present must be your future then, because I am already digital only on my PC. Only one...make that two things holding me back on console from being digital only. No BC for previous gens and no discounts for digital. I have games as far back as 1998 that are on my PC and work fine.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/system-wars-survival-guide-2-0-forum-guidelines-an-31089433/#0

• Must have at least 500 posts to create topics.

Please read the forum rules before posting!