Call of Duty: Black Ops Makes The Leap Into Stereoscopic 3D

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

kotaku

Activision and developer Treyarch are adding a new dimension to the Call of Duty series, bringing stereoscopic 3D visuals to Call of Duty: Black Ops for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

The option will be coming to the next marquee Call of Duty game "day one, out of the box," says Mark Lamia, studio head at Treyarch. Stereoscopic 3D visual effects will be available to players in all of Call of Duty: Black Ops modes—campaign, multiplayer, Combat Training, Zombies—as long as they own a 3D-ready HDTV or NVIDIA 3D Vision-ready PC, using active shutter glasses technology.

"For me, seeing was believing," Lamia tells Kotaku. "We saw it, thought it was really cool, but even though it was really cool, it had to work with the game and make sense."

The team at Treyarch had been researching and developing a stereoscopic 3D display option during the course of Call of Duty: Black Ops' development, Lamia says, adding that the game's 3D special effects felt like a "natural" fit for the blockbuster franchise. And despite their enthusiasm—and the opportunity to buy a half-dozen new 3D TVs for the office for further research—Lamia says he had his doubts about the feature.

"I would say I was a pretty reasonable skeptic," Lamia said. "I'm a pretty hardcore FPS guy. I was really concerned about eyestrain, but it was really immersive." Lamia says the experience is "seamless for gamers to use with a simple menu option to enable stereoscopic 3D or disable it at any time."

For the millions of Call of Duty players without a pricey 3D TV in our homes, Lamia says he hopes that they'll get to experience the mode someday.

"We hope people will be playing Black Ops for a while," Lamia said. "So even if you don't have a 3D TV now, that's fine, when you do, you can pop in Black Ops and it's good to go."

Call of Duty: Black Ops will ship for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on November 9.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

So 3D isn't supported in consoles as in Crysis 2. "Consoles didn't reach their technological limits... cof, cof". Well, doesn't matter, 3D monitor displays had TN panels and TN is the crapiest technology available to displays, so I'll choose to play 2D in SIPS and MVA over 3D in TN any time in any circumstances.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

I am confused, does that mean i need this to play in 3d?

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I dont think one person on this entire website owns a 3D tv.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

VendettaRed07
I own a 50" Samsung 3DTV Plasma TV and I'm sure there are others, oh by the way it looks amazing and changes the whole game for me.
7ojistix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 7ojistix
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

ItsBriskBaby

I own a 50" Samsung 3DTV Plasma TV and I'm sure there are others, oh by the way it looks amazing and changes the whole game for me.

Post your set-up! I'm always amazed by set-up threads in SW. There seem to be some very wealthy System Warriors hahaha.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

VendettaRed07
Why not? They aren't that expensive and most of the 3D-Ready TVs are some of the best 2D sets as well.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

KHAndAnime
Why not? They aren't that expensive and most of the 3D-Ready TVs are some of the best 2D sets as well.

I'm actually considering going 3d since 3d monitors nowdays can be found for only $300 ( sure thats nearly twice the cost of a 22" monitor but still thats actually affordable )
ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ItsBriskBaby
[QUOTE="7ojistix"]

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Post your set-up! I'm always amazed by set-up threads in SW. There seem to be some very wealthy System Warriors hahaha.

I'll take a picture, but I haft to figure out how to load them on hear because I forgot unless someone tells me how.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I wonder what score Black Ops will get from GS. seems like its way more improved from MW2. i mean all the stuff that PC owners wanted are going there for PC and for consoles tons of news things added ( best imo are theater mode and zombies ). this may get a 9.5

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

[QUOTE="7ojistix"]

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"] I own a 50" Samsung 3DTV Plasma TV and I'm sure there are others, oh by the way it looks amazing and changes the whole game for me.ItsBriskBaby

I'll take a picture, but I haft to figure out how to load them on hear because I forgot unless someone tells me how.

Use photobucket. Then copy the image url and paste it in the message window.

FGMPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FGMPR
Member since 2009 • 804 Posts

I am confused, does that mean i need this to play in 3d?

dakan45

On PC, yes, along with an nvidia gpu (8800+) and a 120Hz lcd monitor.

XxHoosierdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XxHoosierdaddy
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

I own a Panasonic VT25 50 inch. It is the best 2d and 3dtv of this year. Cost a lot though. It is awesome for gaming guys.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ItsBriskBaby

I own a Panasonic VT25 50 inch. It is the best 2d and 3dtv of this year. Cost a lot though. It is awesome for gaming guys.

XxHoosierdaddy

Yeah see I was gonna buy the 50" Panasonic too, but I went with Samsung because too me it wasn't that much of a difference and the Pana was far more costly then Sam. Also I got my 50" Sam for about 1,400 with 2 pairs of glasses and 4 3D movies for free.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ItsBriskBaby

Here goes some of my stuff, it's a little messy, but I'm still in the process of remodeling so here you go...

I have much much more, but don't want to flood the forums with all my goodies. As you can see I have too much. Even the TV on the floor is for my 3yr old Daughter.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

VendettaRed07

I don't own a 3DTV, but I've got a 3D Vision setup.

I wouldn't say it was all that expensive, either... my Viewsonic monitor cost me about $280, and my 3D Vision kit cost me $175. I needed an upgrade from my old 1440x900 monitor, so it worked out well. I have no idea why companies haven't yet released cheap 3DTVs in the 26~32" range, but they really should so people wouldn't be quite so scared off by the price tag.

Most games play in 3D anyway on 3D Vision, whether or not they're officially designed with it in mind, but I'm glad to hear they optimized the game for it!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I don't own a 3D-HDTV and do not plan on getting one for at least another year or two. I have no desire to purchase Black Ops either.