Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (PS Vita) First Review

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The PS Vita's next savior in line, after the commercial failure of games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, and Gravity Rush, and the critical and commercial failure of games like Resistance: Burning Skies, and Assassin's Creed Liberation, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is here.

How does it stack up?

:lol:

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified is a cynical, half-baked, tired little mess of a game, and Activision knows it. We didn't get a review copy of the game in before launch, or even on launch day. We had to go out and buy our own copy such is the entertainment giant's faith in it.

I'm glad we did, because hopefully we'll save a few potential punters from squandering their hard-earned money on this garbage. You'll need to be the world's biggest fan of the series to derive any enjoyment from this lazy first person shooter offering.

...It's not difficult in the slightest, missions are short, and if you're a seasoned Call of Duty player, you can probably beat the entire story mode in forty five minutes. However, the game attempts to counter this by being brutally unforgiving in certain spots, usually by adding hostages or a timer.

...If you thought that was bad, then perhaps the multiplayer is the worst offender. Though - criminally - only on a technical level. Which is to say: I spent two hours trying to play this aspect of the game, and managed to get in only five matches in that time. Declassified just doesn't want you to enjoy its online. Ever.

Random boots from games in progress, connections getting lost, the game hanging indefinitely and even one spectacular GPU crash that brought up a debug screen. All things I spent my time doing instead of blasting randoms in the face.

Yep, Declassifed manages to fail here so badly that I managed to see its secret inner workings if only for a second before my device hard locked and needed a full reboot.

...Everything about Declassified is a massive middle finger to the fans. It's a £45.00 mistake for you to make this Christmas, driven to purchase it on a wave of excitement from Black Ops II on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

It serves no purpose but to frustrate and annoy, with lacking single player, little use of the potentially fascinating BLOPS universe, and almost totally broken multiplayer. PocketGamer

SCORE: 4/10

SOURCE

Next up in line, Killzone Mercenary and Persona 4 Golden... both of which, thankfully, look awesome. But for now, the Vita is toast.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Well no one was expecting anything from this game when they found out Nihilistic was beyond it and there was zero hype at least. Persona 4 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale next week will be good for the Vita.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Finalstar's reluctant apologism for this game should be amusing.
Next up in line, Killzone Liberationcharizard1605
That's a PSP game dude.
Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Score?

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
R.I.P. 3DS. You had a good run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Finalstar's reluctant apologism for this game should be amusing. [QUOTE="charizard1605"]Next up in line, Killzone LiberationCherokee_Jack
That's a PSP game dude.

Huh. Wasn't that Retribution?

EDIT: Never mind, that was the name of the PSP Resistance game.

So what's the Vita Killzone game called? :o

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

DOOMED, DOOMED I SAY

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

liberation critical flop? game got pretty good scores to mixed ones.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Finalstar's reluctant apologism for this game should be amusing. [QUOTE="charizard1605"]Next up in line, Killzone Liberationcharizard1605
That's a PSP game dude.

That's a Resistance game dude.

Not that I blame you for mixing them up because Sony apparently got them all from The Big Book of Generic Subtitles.

The Vita game is called Killzone Mercenary.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Finalstar's reluctant apologism for this game should be amusing. [QUOTE="charizard1605"]Next up in line, Killzone Liberationcharizard1605

That's a PSP game dude.

EDIT: Never mind, that was the name of the PSP Resistance game.

So what's the Vita Killzone game called? :o

Killzone Mercenary and I expect good things from it because despite what people think Guerila made a two great games in Killzone 2 & 3 (The scores reflect such as well). The PS Vita is capable of a good FPS. It just had a **** developer for it's first two offerings.
TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Finalstar's reluctant apologism for this game should be amusing.
Next up in line, Killzone Liberationcharizard1605
That's a PSP game dude.

Vita haz no gaems. And what did you all think would happen? It's Nihlistic. Have any of you ever played PS Move Heroes?
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Ouch. SO Red Steel 1 > COD:BO Declassified? :P

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

This was the Sony's one shot to have the casuals hop on board with the Vita, and they blew it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]That's a Resistance game dude. Not that I blame you for mixing them up because Sony apparently got them all from The Big Book of Generic Subtitles.

Yeah... Retribution, Liberation, Ascension... who comes up with these names? :? [QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] Killzone Mercenary and I expect good things from it because despite what people think Guerila made a two great games in Killzone 2 & 3 (The scores reflect such as well). The PS Vita is capable of a good FPS. It just had a **** developer for it's first two offerings.

Guerilla is a capable developer, so I hope they finally do the Vita justice.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
This is going to move some Vita, book it! *laughs*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

This was the Sony's one shot to have the casuals hop on board with the Vita, and they blew it.

BPoole96
I mean, it would have been had the casuals: a) Known this game existed b) Known the Vita existed
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cherokee_Jack

Killzone Mercenary and I expect good things from it because despite what people think Guerila made a two great games in Killzone 2 & 3 (The scores reflect such as well).FlamesOfGrey

It's not a Guerilla game, Sony Cambridge is making it. With help from Guerilla, but Uncharted GA was the same situation.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Killzone Mercenary and I expect good things from it because despite what people think Guerila made a two great games in Killzone 2 & 3 (The scores reflect such as well).Cherokee_Jack
It's not a Guerilla game, Sony Cambridge is making it.

Yes, but Guerilla are helping with the development of the game.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

BPoole96
Yeah, because all the casuals go to metacritic and check out the reviews...oh wait.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 finalfantasy94

BPoole96

if it was advertised well it would have sold. Theres been zero advertisment. I mean people bought MW2 and that game is a piece of crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

BPoole96

They lost that demographic (and pretty much any one elses who is not a huge handheld/sony fan) when they shipped the device at $250 and not come with a memory chip.. A memory chip I might add that can only be bought from Sony for 2 to 3 times the price of a usual SD chip.. Probably one of the largest **** hole moves I have seen by any of the console makers in a long time. AT those prices and limitations I would rather get something like a Nexus 7 tablet..

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

charizard1605

I mean, it would have been had the casuals: a) Known this game existed b) Known the Vita existed

That's true. Most people probably don't even know what a Vita is. It has yet to get a killer app to make it relevent

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

senses_fail_06

Yeah, because all the casuals go to metacritic and check out the reviews...oh wait.

They probably do. They probably go on MC, look at the number, and determine whether or not they'll buy the game. This is even more so for the one's who do not own a Vita. Just because they aren't really into gaming like most of us here are doesn't mean they're complete imbeciles and go out and fork over $300+ without even looking up a review of what it is they're buying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

"just wait until AC3 Liberation... It's going to save the Vita!'

*Comes out... Flops

AC3 is turd on consoles what makes you think it'll be better on Vita?

"just wait for CoD BO!"

*Comes out... Flops

What's next, seriously? For the next 5 months what's next?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

*Comes out... Flops

"just wait for CoD BO!"

*Comes out... Flops

Samus3D
Persona 4 Golden, that game at least is going to be awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
[QUOTE="Samus3D"]

*Comes out... Flops

"just wait for CoD BO!"

*Comes out... Flops

charizard1605
Persona 4 Golden, that game at least is going to be awesome.

Woooooo, LOL.
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts

*Comes out... Flops

"just wait for CoD BO!"

*Comes out... Flops

Samus3D
No one counted on BLOPS Declassified anymore after the dev was revealed. Well there's always PSABR and Persona 4 Golden which is impossible to really flop unless they secretly hated the first version of it since this is an enhanced and extended port.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Playstation All Stars and Persona 4... Yay?
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 game_masta14
Playstation All Stars and Persona 4... Yay? Samus3D
In terms of 2012 yeah (though there's also Ratchet and Clank FFA). In 2013 there's SLy 4 and Soul Sacrifice. When GS will give Vita it's due, who knows cause I sure don't but you know they won't ever.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
"We didn't get a review copy of the game in before launch, or even on launch day. We had to go out and buy our own copy such is the entertainment giant's faith in it." Well that explains the lack of 9-10.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Honestly, god damn. Sony needs to just discontinue the Vita and pretend it never happened. I cant understand for the life of me, whenever Sony f*cks up, they stubbornly stand BY their f*ckups. Like Sony saying that Vita sales are "exceeding expectations" ( :lol: ) , or implying that they are proud and have no regrets of where they stand with the PS3. ( :lol: ).

Its like they are afraid to face the shame of admitting they were wrong, like they will get picked on or something. So instead they continue to torture themselves (and gamble with thousands of families livelihoods) and pretend that everything is going according to plan, while the company is running on fumes. All out of their ignorant pride.

You notice when Nintendo f*cked up with the 3DS, they IMMEDIATELY took responsibility, admitted fault, and rectified it. They didnt continue to support the Virtual Boy either. MS didnt continue to support the original Xbox when it failed. Whenever Sony f*cks up, they always pretend like thats what they MEANT to do,. They are right and EVERYBODY ELSE is wrong.

I will give it to Sony, they do have one thing: Consistancy. They have the consistancy to do the same thing OVER AND OVER, with the SAME outcome every time,and it continues not to work.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

All I know is Persona 4 golden will be awesome.

Too bad it's on a system that's in serious trouble.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#34 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
It looked like garbage to begin with.
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 game_masta14

Honestly, god damn. Sony needs to just discontinue the Vita and pretend it never happened. I cant understand for the life of me, whenever Sony f*cks up, they stubbornly stand BY their f*ckups. Like Sony saying that Vita sales are "exceeding expectations" ( :lol: ) , or implying that they are proud and have no regrets of where they stand with the PS3. ( :lol: ).

Its like they are afraid to face the shame of admitting they were wrong, like they will get picked on or something. So instead they continue to torture themselves (and gamble with thousands of families livelihoods) and pretend that everything is going according to plan, while the company is running on fumes. All out of their ignorant pride.

You notice when Nintendo f*cked up with the 3DS, they IMMEDIATELY took responsibility, admitted fault, and rectified it. They didnt continue to support the Virtual Boy either. MS didnt continue to support the original Xbox when it failed. Whenever Sony f*cks up, they always pretend like thats what they MEANT to do,. They are right and EVERYBODY ELSE is wrong.

I will give it to Sony, they do have one thing: Consistancy. They have the consistancy to do the same thing OVER AND OVER, with the SAME outcome every time,and it continues not to work.

StrongDeadlift

What do you expect them to do? Come out and say, "You know what, we're discontinuing the Vita. Sorry buyers, you now have a $250+ brick in your house. Enjoy!" ? Do you know how bad that would look? In fact, if they did that that would be the end of them. Stocks gonna drop, **** gonna crash and when they asked who suggested to do this, just know

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I wasn't expecting much out of this anyways, honestly the only game for Vita so far that truly disappointed me was Gravity Rush. I'm not saying everything else was great, it just fell exactly where I predicted it would.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

So basically it's full of technical issues. Surely something a patch will fix.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts
Next "savior" in line??? Was lbp vita apparently a flop?!
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Next "savior" in line??? Was lbp vita apparently a flop?!ms555

LBP Vita has been said by Critics to be more of the same but the best LBP game so far, plus the Vita's features are used well. I believe its a ...88 or 89 of Meta ? so not bad. WHile LBP was good it won't bring in buyers like COD would have.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cherokee_Jack

The presentation of their narratives is bewildering, jumping from character to character, not explaining fully where or when they are, or what they're up to in the individual missions - let alone why you should care.

[...]

Maybe there's some greater canonical tie-in, but taken as a separate title outside of the two home console releases you'd be hard pressed to find anything that even tangentially links the seemingly disparate events that make upDeclassified.

[...]

It's not difficult in the slightest, missions are short, and if you're a seasonedCall of Dutyplayer, you can probably beat the entire story mode in forty five minutes.

[...]

There are none of the spectacular set pieces the series is known for, just section after section of totally adequate, completely phoned-in shooty shooty action.Also, the analogue sticks are too twitchy by default, so you'll spend time lowering the sensitivity until you get things just right.

And there are some touchscreen shenanigans thrown in for no discernible reason. To throw a grenade you tap and hold the ever present grenade icon on the cluttered UI, drag to where you want to aim, and release.This requires you to stop in the middle of a fire fight, take your thumb off of the right stick (which controls where you're looking) and faff about smudging the screen with your index finger to hurtle the explosive.

Enemies react in almost the same way each time you tackle a section. This pop-up behaviour has been the same in most of the series, but the generous checkpointing of Infinity Ward's games means it's normally not noticeable.Not so inDeclassified. If you die then it's back to the start of the mission to do everything again same enemy movements, same guns, same tactics, same embarrassing hackneyed voice acting. If you thought home consoleCoDwas linear, you ought to playDeclassified.Review

Surely something a patch will fix.

Blazerdt47

Surely.

And surely when/if the MP works, it will exhibit the same quality workmanship as the campaign.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

[QUOTE="ms555"]Next "savior" in line??? Was lbp vita apparently a flop?!Blake135

LBP Vita has been said by Critics to be more of the same but the best LBP game so far, plus the Vita's features are used well.

Exactly. So idk tho why people are busy still wondering when vita gets a flagship title, if obviously lbp vita has fulfilled that role! The reviews have stressed the marriage between lbp and vita is the best thing that ever happened to both of them!
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

You can probably beat the campaign mode in 45 minutes.:lol:

This game must have the shortest FPS campaign ever.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

I guess it wasn't a good 45 minutes :lol:

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dragonfly110

super600

false

http://www.giantbomb.com/duty-calls-the-calm-before-the-storm/61-34081/

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

dragonfly110

false

Not including that parody web game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
a 4/10 is what i'd rate Vita. What waste of invention.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

false

Not including that parody web game.

Why would you not want to include such a wonderful work of art?

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

I have been playing Black Ops Vita for a few hours and its actually pretty good. Its more focus on online gameplay. Although its 4 x 4 the maps are not large and its actually fun

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 finalfantasy94

StrongDeadlift

yup discountinue a system cause its not getting 9 games left and right. I have the system I think its a good handheld and so far I played liberation and it was a good game. Im also looking forward to playing uncahrted, gravity rush, ragnorok odyesse, persona 4 ys when ever it comes over and others.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 finalfantasy94

*Comes out... Flops

"just wait for CoD BO!"

*Comes out... Flops

Samus3D

did you play liberations? I did and it was a good game. Nothing mind blowing but good. If you wanna play the score game then it did score well on other sites.