Call of Duty 4 Most Overrated Game in History of Gaming??

• 135 results
#1 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

So ppls, after playing too many old and new games. i came to conclusion that COD4 is probably the most overrated game in the history of gaming. not modern warfare 2, GTA4, Halo CE but COD4. and heres why

-It hailed as holy grail of FPS back in 2007

-FPS genre was invaded by Halo CE but COD4 start the destruction of genre.

-It introduce and sucessfully popularize of cinematic 6 very scripted linear hour SP

-popularize perks in MP and promote more MP games to be noobish

- overshadow all superior 2007 FPS like Stalker, Crysis, TF2, HL2EP2.

i see that most ppls were very impressed by COD4 and some even calling it complete package and best FPS ever. but those ppls never experience quality FPS..

anyone else think COD4 is most overated game ever and start the destruction of FPS genre?

Discuss

#2 Posted by finalstar2007 (24959 posts) -

No its not.. it was worth its hype.

#3 Posted by sts106mat (19029 posts) -

no

#4 Posted by gameofthering (10134 posts) -

It was a very good game back in 2007, but I can't go back to it like I can with games such as Half-Life.

#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

Yes, I liked the multiplayer of COD, UO and COD 2 was more. I also liked the WW2 setting in COD games more.

Perks, unlocks, killstreaks are not needed in any online competitive shooter IMO.

#6 Posted by 35cent (892 posts) -

It was great when it was new. It deserves its place in the hall of fame.

#7 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

Nah brah, Call of Duty 4 was tight, tight like a tiger.

#8 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

It had a great campaign so nope.

#9 Edited by XxOskarxXTBXx51 (151 posts) -

CoD4 is fantastic.

MW2 started the destruction of the genre.

#10 Posted by jake44 (1968 posts) -
#11 Edited by quakke (173 posts) -

The title of this topic should be fixed. "Call of Duty most overrated game in history".

Calladoody 4 differs from Calladoody 2 or Calladoody Coats in no way. They all have the same shit. SP is linear levels without any freedom with brainless enemies that just hitscan you, and MP is skill-less healthregen infinite ammo running.

#12 Posted by cooolio (451 posts) -

No way in hell, For a game to even come close to being that highly overrated it must be praised as one of the most well designed games in history but fails to really do anything that sets it apart. I feel like this is something that will especially hold true to a sequel. At the same time, the majority of gamers would never recognize a game that has been praised tremendously as being overrated or the most overrated game in history. An example would be GTAV. To me the world is detailed and offers the ability to switch between 3 characters, which is something that has never been done in an open world game. However, I only notice a bigger open world and polish. I feel like they failed to really add anything new because there are less activities than GTAIV had with its combined dlc, there are no interiors besides shops, you got to the movies see a screen and walk out, etc. There are many things that I could see as being flaws. But it is one of those widely praised games that a lot of people love.

#13 Edited by lamprey263 (23176 posts) -

COD4 does have some praise worthy characteristics, for instance the market of FPS games was getting stale with WW2 FPSs before COD4 came out, and "Modern Warfare" was a breath of fresh air. Now, of course looking back on it now it's nothing special in comparison to the countless other modern military FPSs that came after, but it basically was the template that changed the market.

It was also a template for companies wanting popular online multiplayer in their games. COD4 was responsible for all that horrible tacked on MP mandated by publishers at the expense of SP. Everybody wanted a COD, at least as a highly marketable, successful selling, timely released, popular MP, and they were some of the most successful I believe for really pushing DLC and everybody wanted a piece of that. It's not all good things but the game had weight.

I resent all the hate of MW2, I especially liked the levels fighting Russians on US soil, it was like a nuke'less WW3. Wasn't perfect, I thought playing as SAS was lame though except for the gulag mission. I can maybe see the multiplayer only crowd thinking it was redundant, I however only played it for the SP and in that respect it was a new game. Countless times though checking peoples achievements I was baffled by how most people had lots of MP achievements but didn't even have some of the most basic SP achievements, meaning they didn't even touch the game. I can only assume all these "it's the same game" people must be those same people.

I enjoyed MW2, and World At War as well, but after MW3 and Black Ops that's when the series really took a nose dive. I was in it for the SP and SP only, and as they focused more and more on the MP they did it at the expense of the SP. I'm guessing the IW-Activision fiasco with West and Zampella and other IW staff that left to form Respawn had a lot to do with the decline of the series, in quality at least, the games still sell quite well.

#14 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6158 posts) -

I had no issue with COD 4 other than the shovelware that the series turned into.

#15 Posted by IgGy621985 (4627 posts) -

COD 4 was a pretty damn good FPS. The series went downhill afterwards.

#16 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3479 posts) -

You didn't enjoy it, so it must be overrated.

#17 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8367 posts) -

No, this title belongs solely to Resident Evil 4 and its fanboys on System Wars are the living proof of it.

#18 Posted by quakke (173 posts) -

COD4 does have some praise worthy characteristics, for instance the market of FPS games was getting stale with WW2 FPSs before COD4 came out, and "Modern Warfare" was a breath of fresh air. Now, of course looking back on it now it's nothing special in comparison to the countless other modern military FPSs that came after, but it basically was the template that changed the market.

Please. Let's not talk bs.

The FPS market was perfectly fine all the way to 2008. Even in the so called WWII era, FPS still had variety. You had your BF1942, BF2 (2005) which does not interest me one bit, you had your Cawwadoody 2 which does not interest me one bit. But i had my FEAR (2005), Timeshift (2007), Bioshock (2008), Far Cry (2004), DooM 3 (2004).. which do interest me. See the problem? When WWII were somewhat popular, there were still FPS that had nothing to with those WWII games. Nothing. They had no similar gameplay mechanics (no aimdownsights outside of WWII games..) and that worked. Then in 2007 came Cawwadoody 4 and it literally ruined everything, since the variety suddenly disappeared from the market. Now all the sudden even my FEAR franchise gets sequel named F3AR and it has none of the FEAR gameplay mechanics, it's instead filled with CoD aimdownsights regen crap. Now they were even making DOOM 4 into call of shit. Gladly though, Wolfenstein: The New Order is here to save the FPS genre.

#19 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

half life,halo,call of duty

fuck all these games

#20 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8367 posts) -

Compared to Resident Evil 4, COD 4 was Citizen Kane.

#21 Posted by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

COD4 was amazing.

#22 Posted by Vaasman (11266 posts) -

Sure beats the hell out of any Hitman game.

#23 Posted by scatteh316 (4853 posts) -

I really enjoyed COD 4... Was a refreshing action packed game with a decent story line.

#24 Posted by CalamityO (13 posts) -

FPS in general are boring as hell.

#25 Posted by marcheegsr (2521 posts) -

CoD4 is fantastic.

MW2 started the destruction of the genre.

#26 Posted by happyduds77 (1449 posts) -

Compared to Resident Evil 4, COD 4 was Citizen Kane.

You just had to bring it up, right?

#27 Posted by PonchoTaco (1976 posts) -

Best FPS, in my humble opinion.

#28 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -
#29 Posted by airshocker (29042 posts) -

You really are incapable of talking about anything new, aren't you SNIPER?

#30 Edited by drinkerofjuice (3169 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

No, this title belongs solely to Resident Evil 4 and its fanboys on System Wars are the living proof of it.

Yeah, Resident Evil 4 was shite. Capcom definitely should have stayed with the series' initially static direction that was driving it to the ground in the first place. Nobody wants anything to do with an impeccably crafted action title.

#31 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (759 posts) -

Coming from a guy who will not buy another COD game ever, no. COD4 was one of my favorite games.

#32 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

Nope, having played CoD 4 recently, that shit definitely lived up to the hype as far as the campaign goes.

All Ghillied Up was awesome.

#33 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -
#34 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6954 posts) -

Nope, that would be Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2.

#35 Posted by GiantAssPanda (1605 posts) -

COD 4 was a pretty damn good FPS. The series went downhill afterwards.

Yep. COD4 was brilliant.

#36 Posted by GiantAssPanda (1605 posts) -

You really are incapable of talking about anything new, aren't you SNIPER?

DOOM, Deus Ex, Hitman, COD

Repeat x100

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (23176 posts) -

@quakke said:

The FPS market was perfectly fine all the way to 2008. Even in the so called WWII era, FPS still had variety. You had your BF1942, BF2 (2005) which does not interest me one bit, you had your Cawwadoody 2 which does not interest me one bit. But i had my FEAR (2005), Timeshift (2007), Bioshock (2008), Far Cry (2004), DooM 3 (2004).. which do interest me. See the problem? When WWII were somewhat popular, there were still FPS that had nothing to with those WWII games. Nothing. They had no similar gameplay mechanics (no aimdownsights outside of WWII games..) and that worked. Then in 2007 came Cawwadoody 4 and it literally ruined everything, since the variety suddenly disappeared from the market. Now all the sudden even my FEAR franchise gets sequel named F3AR and it has none of the FEAR gameplay mechanics, it's instead filled with CoD aimdownsights regen crap. Now they were even making DOOM 4 into call of shit. Gladly though, Wolfenstein: The New Order is here to save the FPS genre.

Sure some variety is missing but not for these constantly regurgitated reasons like health regen and iron sights. Iron sights and health regen are smaller design choices that have been adopted as popular modern mechanic conventions. They work, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. There's much more pertaining to game design that makes games unique, for instance - the art, the stories, the characters, the plot, the setting, the craftsmanship, other gameplay design chioces - all these different things make games unique. And furthermore lots of games flirt with new ideas, little ideas unique to their game, and in ways they're trying to change or improve gaming and not just be different. Some things stick and become more widely adopted.

Health regen helps keep the pace going in games and not forcing people to backtrack for health kits, in this they removed a rather tedious need from games to help keep them more accessible and satisfying and on track. Some games though attempt middle ground, like there's limited health regen and possibly a need for healing items.

Iron sights to me is beneficial in a couple ways, for starters being it's aesthetically more pleasing. But besides that, we have years of games being so simplistic one only needed a crosshair to be over it's target and you can unload continuously and the bullets would pretty much be on target. Bloom and recoil was a nice addition to the attempt to remedy this issue, but I found bloom unnecessarily consequential much of the time.

Anyhow, I feel there's still enough variety in games that make different FPSs feel unique. Crysis 2 did not feel like COD because there's iron sights and health regen, that game made me feel like a cross between the Predator and the Terminator. Metro 2033 & Last Light were quite a unique experiences with great atmosphere and story/setting, iron sights didn't ruin it for me or make it feel like something else, if anything was wrong with 2033 it was simply the hit detection. Killzone 2 & 3 didn't feel like COD because of health regen or iron sights, the games stuck out as unique for the game design of the industrial wasteland of the Helghast world and a mix of futuristic military design and a rustic/modern design, and unlike COD the game didn't feel like the character was running on crack cocaine, movements were slower, weighted, it's sense of speed was more realistic IMO. I didn't feel FEAR 2 was as big of a letdown as people make it out to be, and especially not because of iron sights, sure the dynamic lighting and destructible environments that were resource intensive in the first game weren't around, but overall it was a much better looking game in environment design, the horror elements were better, the story flowed better; the first FEAR while fun at the time while looking back had such bland environments by contrast. I don't feel Battlefield and COD are too similar sure they both have iron sights and health regen, and both are even heavily MP focused modern military FPSs, but BF involves much more vehicular combat, tanks and planes, on larger maps, and the various classes and focus on squad cooperation make for a much better MP experience. I feel there's enough variety in todays FPSs, not as much as those pre-COD days but there's still a great variety of quality FPS titles. Maybe it just seems like the market contracted somewhat if we don't even acknowledge the heaps of shit we often ignore and never hear about again.

#38 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Nope, having played CoD 4 recently, that shit definitely lived up to the hype as far as the campaign goes.

All Ghillied Up was awesome.

yeah. i remember how all guiled up was scripted stealth. u have to do nothing but follow orders.

there is NOTHING special about COD4 campaign. i guess u ppls never really played quality FPS campaign.

#39 Posted by tormentos (17121 posts) -

So ppls, after playing too many old and new games. i came to conclusion that COD4 is probably the most overrated game in the history of gaming. not modern warfare 2, GTA4, Halo CE but COD4. and heres why

-It introduce and sucessfully popularize of cinematic 6 very scripted linear hour SP

i see that most ppls were very impressed by COD4 and some even calling it complete package and best FPS ever. but those ppls never experience quality FPS..

anyone else think COD4 is most overated game ever and start the destruction of FPS genre?

Discuss

First of all the FPS genre wasn't invaded or popularized by Halo,there were popular FPS on consoles before halo.

Second yeah COD4 by far was the greatest FPS of last gen in terms of how it set things in motion,it make FPS rewarding which is something it was missing,and the reason it is so love,instead of getting noting for killing people without dying you were rewarded with means to do even more destruction.

So yeah maybe is to old and some times abused in other genres,but it was great and done right is perfect and much better than what other FPS had done.

#40 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

First of all the FPS genre wasn't invaded or popularized by Halo,there were popular FPS on consoles before halo.

Second yeah COD4 by far was the greatest FPS of last gen in terms of how it set things in motion,it make FPS rewarding which is something it was missing,and the reason it is so love,instead of getting noting for killing people without dying you were rewarded with means to do even more destruction.

So yeah maybe is to old and some times abused in other genres,but it was great and done right is perfect and much better than what other FPS had done.

you sound like it was your First FPS ever.

COD4 is PERFECT EXAMPLE of how not to make FPS.

No EXPLORATION, Arrow show where u go, regen health, and worst thing is HEAVILY SCRIPTED!!.

but that it is so loved. i guess this is what ppls want. they dont want innovation, creavity. they want run gun easy cinematic with no skills

and COD4 was not even best COD game let alon best FPS ever. i remember when COD used to be good. even COD2 was good with regen health than COD4 came and not only ruined COD genre but whole FPS genre too.

#41 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

I think it could be widley accepted that COD4 may not game you put in your top 10 of All time great games. However it will be in the top10 for All time important/impactful games. It really was the game that has started what we have today in most modern shooters.

It can't stand up against Halo, Half Life etc for story or single player gameplay. However it stood apart for what it develivered in competitive multiplayer.

#42 Edited by quakke (173 posts) -

@lamprey263:

I don't quite agree with you. Because of healthregen, everything is always the same everytime. You burst couple times and get hit and duck to cover. That's so dull and repeatitive. It doesn't matter if it's Crysis, Wolfenstein 2009, CoD, BF or whatever, the gameplay is still the same. DOOM and games with healthpacks by the way, do not force you to backtrack. Those games always give you healthpacks when you need them.

Ironsights do not belong in every single FPS. The FEAR game i was referring to (F3AR) is not FEAR 2. FEAR 2 is 2009 released and F3AR (aka FEAR 3) is 2011 released. FEAR 2 actually only had healthregen or ironsights since one or the other were removed because fans got furious after they CoDiefied it with healthregen and ads.

I never understand this claim "healthregen makes better pace". That's pretty much bs, since healthregen actually slows the pace down. Healthregen requires you to constantly duck behind cover (not having action), while non-healthregen enables you to go out running like a true bad ass since you don't die from 3 shots (having action). Medpacks also allow you to go with the "duck & hide" way if you absolutely must have to be able to play like that. Regen doesn't allow you to play in anyway except hide behind cover, due to otherwise getting bloodyscreensooreal and dying in 3 seconds.

#43 Edited by Chutebox (36632 posts) -

Nah brah, Call of Duty 4 was tight, tight like a tiger.

Tight like tiger*

#44 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3479 posts) -

Another thread made by SNIPER just so he can whine.

#45 Posted by tormentos (17121 posts) -

you sound like it was your First FPS ever.

COD4 is PERFECT EXAMPLE of how not to make FPS.

No EXPLORATION, Arrow show where u go, regen health, and worst thing is HEAVILY SCRIPTED!!.

but that it is so loved. i guess this is what ppls want. they dont want innovation, creavity. they want run gun easy cinematic with no skills

and COD4 was not even best COD game let alon best FPS ever. i remember when COD used to be good. even COD2 was good with regen health than COD4 came and not only ruined COD genre but whole FPS genre too.

No actually Marathon was one of my first don't remember which was first.

No COD had a great story,MW2 story was more of the same alto it wasn't bad.

And you are complaining about Regen health.? Some Halo introduce.?

The arrow i don't like it,but COD wasn't the first game to use an arrow to tell you were to go,just like it wasn't the first game with regen health either.

Halo is also scripted,so is Resistance,Half life,and Crysis to which some people think is not,but it is.

First things people love about COD is how much customization you can do,real life weapons + add ons + second thing Perks it introduced something new that gave some an advantage,something old games miss,if you played with great gamers on an old game you would get humiliated,on COD perks make those scrubs feel like masters,and actually many of those who complained were old players which were use to the old stile and didn't embrace it.

3rd The killstreaks rewards nothing better than controlling a guided bomb into an enemy,sure it get abuse but as time goes on it gets first,for example on MW2 people saved the predator in won on round 1 and at the very start of the nest round they would trow it where they know enemies start when the round start,end results 4 or 5 instant kills... You try to do that on Black ops 2 and you can't any more.

Now i actually liked Killzone 2 which is as difference as it can be from COD,that weight sense was brutal and if you killed people if because you were good.

I also played Halo 3 didn't like it at all,Halo Reach i did like it but there was this sense of emptynes like a hole,games show be rewarding,which is why COD is so loved.

#46 Posted by jsmoke03 (12760 posts) -

@quakke said:

@lamprey263 said:

it might have been for you, but look at all the reviews and podcasts before and around the time cod4 came out and you will see that a lot of reviewers were getting tired of ww2 shooters. one in particular that i remembered off the top of my head was bob colayco's brothers in arms review on gamespot. he praised brothers in arms for being something other than the generic ww2 shooter.

all those fps games you mentioned have some supernaturalistic or non realistic settings and gameplay mechanics. cod was at the time (it got ridiculous after this) trying to portray modern military stuff, kind of a sub genre to your fave fps.

Discuss

dude if you dont like the game, its fine. yes cod4 became the game that made the fps genre stale at the moment. yes we get that,but you thinking that people that liked cod never experienced quality fps is just plain stupid.

i owned and played a lot of fps games in my lifetime and most of them to be okay to good but i didnt like crysis or half life 2. but do i sit here and accuse people who like crysis stupid? no because i understand its a matter of taste and preference. just because you like one type of gameplay doesnt make the other bad

what you are doing is being ignorant just because you are soo blinded by thinking your own opinion is truth. its like saying summer blockbuster & guilty pleasure tbs/tnt movies movies suck because you like citizen kane and everything should be like citizen kane.

cod4 is not overrated, you just dont like it. dont think other people who like cod are beneath you or somehow never played an fps before because a lot of us arent.

#47 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Half Life 1, Team Failtress 2, Oot and Chrono Trigger are way more overrated.

#48 Posted by quakke (173 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

it might have been for you, but look at all the reviews and podcasts before and around the time cod4 came out and you will see that a lot of reviewers were getting tired of ww2 shooters. one in particular that i remembered off the top of my head was bob colayco's brothers in arms review on gamespot. he praised brothers in arms for being something other than the generic ww2 shooter.

all those fps games you mentioned have some supernaturalistic or non realistic settings and gameplay mechanics. cod was at the time (it got ridiculous after this) trying to portray modern military stuff, kind of a sub genre to your fave fps.

dude if you dont like the game, its fine. yes cod4 became the game that made the fps genre stale at the moment. yes we get that,but you thinking that people that liked cod never experienced quality fps is just plain stupid.

i owned and played a lot of fps games in my lifetime and most of them to be okay to good but i didnt like crysis or half life 2. but do i sit here and accuse people who like crysis stupid? no because i understand its a matter of taste and preference. just because you like one type of gameplay doesnt make the other bad

what you are doing is being ignorant just because you are soo blinded by thinking your own opinion is truth. its like saying summer blockbuster & guilty pleasure tbs/tnt movies movies suck because you like citizen kane and everything should be like citizen kane.

cod4 is not overrated, you just dont like it. dont think other people who like cod are beneath you or somehow never played an fps before because a lot of us arent.

Oh wow! You are like literally the most selfish person that i've ever met, if you're seriously saying that things are now better? Now that EVERYONE doesn't have something. It's just selfish people like you who have gotten 50+ CoD style games in 7 years. You are very selfish, because back in 1992-2008 we had all kinds of FPS. Call of Ass (WWII/MMS), DOOM (Old School FPS), Rainbow Six (Tactical/Realistic), Delta Force/Operation Flashpoint (Realistic/Simulation). Now all we have is Call of Ass since even Duke Nukem Forever was made into Call of ASS, Wolfenstein 2009 was made into Call of ASS.. There are only Rise of the Triad, Serious Sam 3, Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior, Wrack and Painkiller from the INDIES. 6 GAMES in 7 years compared your 50+ games CoD games (Crysis, Alien Rage, Rage, Singularity..)! Totally unfair. If it wasn't for those gamers who made those six real FPS, then it would like 0 real FPS. Thank god this world has atleast 7 studios with good heart. All the other studios are Devils Work, since they only after money.

#49 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

I'd say the half life games. Good god what mediocre gumbo.

#50 Posted by coasterguy65 (5877 posts) -

Nope...CoD4 was the last good CoD game if you ask me.