Buy Maxwell gpu or buy Xbox One?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slipknot0129 (5490 posts) -

I will probably spend $500 on either a Xbox One or a graphics card with some games to show off its power, when Maxwell comes out. Those Maxwell cards look like they could have some serious graphics on them. I hear they are coming out in March. I'll probably stick with a mid range Maxwell though. I always upgrade to another 150w graphics card. Probably around the $250 mark.

Part of the fun to me is seeing a 2x increase in graphics every 2 years. I went from a Gtx 555 to a Gtx 660, that was a 2x improvement in graphics. It was fun seeing the graphics settings go up. I expect Maxwell to give me another 2x improvement. I'd rather spend money on a mid range card because its just as cheap to upgrade every 2 years.

On the console side, I see all those exclusives Ms has. Also the console exclusives. Kingdom Hearts is screaming up and down. Also Final Fantasy. With the Kinect though, there probably will be some good games that can only be done on Kinect.

Pc has those graphics though. I dont know how much better the games will look now that the Xbox 360 and Ps3 will no longer hold them back. Yeah but I expect better graphics.

I dont know, should I invest my time with pc and its graphics, or should I invest my time with the Xbox One and its games?

#2 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Maybe wait more til you see more of Kinect game integration.

When's maxwell coming out?

#3 Posted by slipknot0129 (5490 posts) -

Maybe wait more til you see more of Kinect game integration.

When's maxwell coming out?

Suppose to be march.

#4 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

Sounds like you have your mind set on the Maxwell card to be honest.

#5 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2567 posts) -

Buy a ps4

#6 Edited by wis3boi (31279 posts) -

buy a ps4 so you can stop fapping to hardware you dont know anything about

#7 Posted by sukraj (22566 posts) -

Its a hard choice lol

#8 Edited by BlbecekBobecek (2685 posts) -

You can either buy a PS4 or make a mistake. Choice is yours.

#9 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1712 posts) -

PS4 is the only console to buy.

#10 Posted by plageus900 (1042 posts) -

Wait for Maxwell to come out.

Then slap your console buddies in the face with it.

#11 Edited by GamingVengeance (1854 posts) -

I like my xbone but I like my ps4 even more, no reason right now to get a x1 when the ps4 exists. I'd get both tho if ya can

#12 Posted by lhughey (4228 posts) -

I doubt Maxwell will be released in March. Its more likely to be this summer based on the updates I've heard.

#13 Edited by Bishop1310 (1049 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

So how does he not know anything about the hardware. Stfu you ass clown. Get out of your parents basement.

#14 Edited by airshocker (29356 posts) -

I don't think Maxwell is coming out that soon.

#15 Posted by lostrib (35722 posts) -

Probably wont even fit in your crappy X51

#16 Posted by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

I had a similar choice. Build a new PC to replace my gaming laptop with a 650m GPU or buy a new console to replace my PS3 and 360 (secret option C get both and eat ramen noodles for the rest of the year). I choose to build the PC and then later choose to buy a second 770 for sli lol. Still not eating ramen noodles though.

Regardless the way I saw it was I would be buying the PC version of every multiplat I was interested in. On top of that it seems I'm going to have to wait until late 2014 early 2015 at the earliest before we start getting games like MGS5, FFXV, Uncharted 4, and Halo 5 for consoles.

#17 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I'd wait till March. See if the X1 looks anymore promising as a piece of hardware. Then make your choice.

#18 Posted by Heil68 (43939 posts) -
#19 Posted by MonsieurX (29975 posts) -

@lostrib said:

#20 Posted by slipknot0129 (5490 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I dont use my x51's case anymore. If I did, it would still be able to handle something more powerful than a Gtx Titan in Maxwell form. Thanks for bringing up the x51. I think its awesome that, that much power can fit all into the x51 next year.

#21 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

I was basically in the same boat and went with a bone.

the bone probably wont see a price drop for a couple years, and consoles usually offer the best value at launch. But PC parts are always dropping in price.

So by going bone first and upgrading my PC in a year or two, the end result will be a bone and better PC for the price vs purchasing in the reverse order. At least thats my theory.

#22 Edited by glez13 (8760 posts) -

AFAIK Maxwell is expected Q2 2014.

#23 Posted by millerlight89 (18461 posts) -

Buy a gpu and play......what? Buy xbone and have a wonderful list of upcoming games :D

#24 Posted by Couth_ (10058 posts) -

Why not both? If you buy the bone now surely you will have made another $500 for when the maxwell is out

#25 Edited by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Do you already have a gaming rig like 660 Ti or something?

If you're in the US maybe it's nice to get an X1 first and lurk slickdeals.net, computer forums on sale sections to get a GPU.

I believe that GPUs tend to have way more frequent deals than say an Xbox One with $ 100 off before BF 2014.

#26 Edited by nyzma23 (924 posts) -

wtf cow he asked about maxwell card or xbox one and clearly he didn't mention about ps4

and for tc if your current gpu is good enough then you should buy console because destiny will be on console only and if you buy xbone you'll get quantum break,halo 5.sunset overdrive,project spark and titanfall definitive version will be xbone with azure cloud thing

#27 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

I dont use my x51's case anymore. If I did, it would still be able to handle something more powerful than a Gtx Titan in Maxwell form. Thanks for bringing up the x51. I think its awesome that, that much power can fit all into the x51 next year.

Ever heard of a Mini-ITX build?

#28 Posted by slipknot0129 (5490 posts) -

@slipknot0129 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

Ever heard of a Mini-ITX build?

Those cases are ugly and bigger than the x51.

#29 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

@slipknot0129: get the xbox one best console ever created.... All you have to see is the squirming cows who came in here trying drastically to sway you to the wobble station. Get the one and then get a maxwell

#30 Posted by Carbon_Le (185 posts) -

Dont get a overpriced vcr man. Maxwell ftw. At least you'll know you can do 1080p on all games.

#31 Posted by Wasdie (49745 posts) -

If you play PC games most of the time I think it's best to upgrade the GPU first. I didn't need a GPU upgrade this year so I spent that money on a PS4. Maxwell next year.

#32 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

the bone probably wont see a price drop for a couple years, and consoles usually offer the best value at launch. But PC parts are always dropping in price.

So by going bone first and upgrading my PC in a year or two, the end result will be a bone and better PC for the price vs purchasing in the reverse order. At least thats my theory.

I'm not so sure the X1 won't have a price drop for "years". I'd say by 12-18 months from now they drop the price when the sales slow down.

#33 Posted by clyde46 (45955 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

So how does he not know anything about the hardware. Stfu you ass clown. Get out of your parents basement.

Fail.

#34 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

I'm not so sure the X1 won't have a price drop for "years". I'd say by 12-18 months from now they drop the price when the sales slow down.

Maybe, maybe not. Thats why i said its my theory.

Although im pretty confident the price of PC hardware is going to drop alot quicker than the price of consoles (it always has in the past). So even if the bone does see a pricecut, im fairly certain ill still come out on top.

#35 Posted by osirisx3 (1771 posts) -

ew nvidia go amd

#36 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2454 posts) -

You can build a PC so that you can play every game that you purchased for ever or you can go wrong and buy a console which is leagues behind PC in technology and you will be forced to re-buy the games you already owned in the previous generation as a new collection in this new generation and the cycle continues.

#37 Edited by Messiahbolical- (5555 posts) -

Take it from me who just built a high-end PC, get a console instead. Spending $500 solely on a GPU wont make the games you play on it any better. It's not worth spending a crapload of money just to stare at pretty graphics if the gameplay is still the exact same(arguably worse if you're sitting at a desk on a keyboard/mouse squinting at a small screen instead of relaxed in your chair with a controller in your hand looking at the big-screen). The console experience is more streamlined, and consoles have much more to offer when it comes to exclusives IMO(especially Playstation consoles).