But...isn't GameStop evil?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by darkspineslayer (19539 posts) -
Xbox one will allow trades, without a fee from the user, Xbox one will allow you to give your game to someone on your friends list....once. Those trade ins, they can only be done by an authorized retailer. Whose the biggest name in games retail in North America right now? GameStop. We've all heard how evil GameStop is for trying to make a profit out of used games, and the industry hates them, right? I won't rehash the arguments here, because that isn't really the point of this thread. To cut to that point however, if your 'licence' can only be transferred once to a friend, that would destroy the rest of the used games market, would it not? The far more beneficial to gamers methods like Amazon, Craigslist, ect...GameStop would be the only avenue left to trade in games. If GameStop is so evil, where is the logic in making them the only avenue for the second hand market?
#2 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
Both Gamestop and the Xbox One are bad.
#3 Posted by bobbetybob (19170 posts) -
Can people stop using the word evil as a replacement for greedy cause it sounds stupid. Until Gamestop and Microsoft start committing genocide I think it's safe to say they're not evil, Steve Balmer isn't sitting over a shark infested pool with an eyepatch on finalising his plans for death rays hidden inside Kinects. He's making it an inconvenience to buy a used game, wooooo scarrrryyyy!
#4 Posted by darkspineslayer (19539 posts) -
Can people stop using the word evil as a replacement for greedy cause it sounds stupid.bobbetybob
Psst... [spoiler]  [/spoiler]
#5 Posted by TheRealBigRich (726 posts) -

Can people stop using the word evil as a replacement for greedy cause it sounds stupid. Until Gamestop and Microsoft start committing genocide I think it's safe to say they're not evil, Steve Balmer isn't sitting over a shark infested pool with an eyepatch on finalising his plans for death rays hidden inside Kinects. He's making it an inconvenience to buy a used game, wooooo scarrrryyyy!bobbetybob

Thank you 

#6 Posted by bobbetybob (19170 posts) -
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Can people stop using the word evil as a replacement for greedy cause it sounds stupid.darkspineslayer
Psst... [spoiler]  [/spoiler]

Psst... [spoiler] I didn't read the thread I just wanted to rant about that. [/spoiler]
#7 Posted by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -
Actually I've heard nothing about limitations with sharing games with friends except ones that already exist on the Xbox 360. Gamers will be able to play game at their friends places as long as the rights owner's account is logged in online. You can only share it with one friend at a time because gamers can only be logged into one location at a time. This is not a setup for longtime rights sharing, but should be good enough for sleep overs.
#8 Posted by princeofshapeir (13723 posts) -
Can people stop using the word evil as a replacement for greedy cause it sounds stupid. Until Gamestop and Microsoft start committing genocide I think it's safe to say they're not evil, Steve Balmer isn't sitting over a shark infested pool with an eyepatch on finalising his plans for death rays hidden inside Kinects. He's making it an inconvenience to buy a used game, wooooo scarrrryyyy!bobbetybob
HE'S LITERALLY HITLER THO
#9 Posted by McStrongfast (4263 posts) -
Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers.
#10 Posted by mems_1224 (46492 posts) -
Gamestop is waaaaay worse than any of the publishers. What a f***ing ripoff that place is.
#11 Posted by darkspineslayer (19539 posts) -
Actually I've heard nothing about limitations with sharing games with friends except ones that already exist on the Xbox 360. Gamers will be able to play game at their friends places as long as the rights owner's account is logged in online. You can only share it with one friend at a time because gamers can only be logged into one location at a time. This is not a setup for longtime rights sharing, but should be good enough for sleep overs.lamprey263
Not really talking about game sharing, more about the second hand market outside of retailers. "Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."
#12 Posted by McStrongfast (4263 posts) -
Actually I've heard nothing about limitations with sharing games with friends except ones that already exist on the Xbox 360. Gamers will be able to play game at their friends places as long as the rights owner's account is logged in online. You can only share it with one friend at a time because gamers can only be logged into one location at a time. This is not a setup for longtime rights sharing, but should be good enough for sleep overs.lamprey263
Loaning or renting games wont be available at launch,
#14 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

I don't think gamestop is evil right now.  You have the trader is just stupid not taking use of their bonus offers.

NOW

I think they will become evil since i can see them becoming only place to pick up a used game or trade in a old game... I can see it now instead of gamestop giving you $30 they going give you $15-20. 

I think publishers/ms/sony is letting only few like gamestop have hold over used games is because they know how much those stores bring in sales of new products. So they have to keep them happy or they close up or change they business.  Personally 99% time i am more tempted go into gamestop any day over walmart or something to purchase  a game/card/controller   

#15 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
never understood people's hatred of gamestop. but this isn't a gamestop problem, it's an xbox problem.
#16 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Can people stop using the word evil as a replacement for greedy cause it sounds stupid. Until Gamestop and Microsoft start committing genocide I think it's safe to say they're not evil, Steve Balmer isn't sitting over a shark infested pool with an eyepatch on finalising his plans for death rays hidden inside Kinects. He's making it an inconvenience to buy a used game, wooooo scarrrryyyy!TheRealBigRich

Thank you 

Amen!
#17 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15915 posts) -

Gamestop evil? No. Not to me. I just buy games from them. I don't sell games. When I buy a game, I usually keep it. That's been true for me since the Atari 2600.

#18 Posted by McStrongfast (4263 posts) -
It's our problem with Microsoft's solution to publishers' problem with Gamestop.
#19 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

In America Gamestop is evil. We have GameStop here in EU too, but it has different policies.

Only in America.

#20 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

Xbox one will allow trades, without a fee from the user, Xbox one will allow you to give your game to someone on your friends list....once. Those trade ins, they can only be done by an authorized retailer. Whose the biggest name in games retail in North America right now? GameStop. We've all heard how evil GameStop is for trying to make a profit out of used games, and the industry hates them, right? I won't rehash the arguments here, because that isn't really the point of this thread. To cut to that point however, if your 'licence' can only be transferred once to a friend, that would destroy the rest of the used games market, would it not? The far more beneficial to gamers methods like Amazon, Craigslist, ect...GameStop would be the only avenue left to trade in games. If GameStop is so evil, where is the logic in making them the only avenue for the second hand market?darkspineslayer
i'm pretty sure the logic is that the money goes into gamestop and not back to people that make games.

#21 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Xbox one will allow trades, without a fee from the user, Xbox one will allow you to give your game to someone on your friends list....once. Those trade ins, they can only be done by an authorized retailer. Whose the biggest name in games retail in North America right now? GameStop. We've all heard how evil GameStop is for trying to make a profit out of used games, and the industry hates them, right? I won't rehash the arguments here, because that isn't really the point of this thread. To cut to that point however, if your 'licence' can only be transferred once to a friend, that would destroy the rest of the used games market, would it not? The far more beneficial to gamers methods like Amazon, Craigslist, ect...GameStop would be the only avenue left to trade in games. If GameStop is so evil, where is the logic in making them the only avenue for the second hand market?Riverwolf007

i'm pretty sure the logic is that the money goes into gamestop and not back to people that make games.

When publishers open thousands of stores and hire tens of thousands to staff those stores, then they'll be entitled to revenue from used game sales.
#22 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Xbox one will allow trades, without a fee from the user, Xbox one will allow you to give your game to someone on your friends list....once. Those trade ins, they can only be done by an authorized retailer. Whose the biggest name in games retail in North America right now? GameStop. We've all heard how evil GameStop is for trying to make a profit out of used games, and the industry hates them, right? I won't rehash the arguments here, because that isn't really the point of this thread. To cut to that point however, if your 'licence' can only be transferred once to a friend, that would destroy the rest of the used games market, would it not? The far more beneficial to gamers methods like Amazon, Craigslist, ect...GameStop would be the only avenue left to trade in games. If GameStop is so evil, where is the logic in making them the only avenue for the second hand market?MFDOOM1983

When publishers open thousands of stores and hire tens of thousands to staff those stores, then they'll be entitled to revenue from used game sales.

lol, gamestop treats their employees like shyt.

min wage.

purposefully keeping all  positions except general manager part time to avoid providing benefits. (even 2nd position assistant  manager is part time)

i have buddys that work there and the schedule works like this, one guy works 50 hours a week for next to nothing  and everyone else works 10 for next to nothing.

i really don't care how many crappy jobs they provide compared to keeping game developers in business.

and sure they treat their employees like shyt too but at least i get games out of the deal.

#23 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -

There is no Gamestop problem.  Its just easier to try to squeeze the used games market than to prevent the hackers and pirates from cracking boxes and playing software for free.  Gamestop even has stats showing a large percentage of used games are traded in towards new titles...new titles that would otherwise not be bought.  

#24 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]i'm pretty sure the logic is that the money goes into gamestop and not back to people that make games.

Riverwolf007

min wage.

purposefully keeping all  positions except general manager part time to avoid providing benefits. (even 2nd position assistant  manager is part time)

i really don't care how many crappy jobs they provide compared to keeping game developers in business.

and sure they treat their employees like shyt too but at least i get games out of the deal.

Welcome to retail(80% part time/20$ full time).... Unskilled workers aren't entitled to anything but min. wage jobs.

The video game industry has seen steady growth for the past 30 years with used game sales along for the ride. Just because publishers want to inflate game/marketing budgets for games that fail to turn a profit doesn't make it right for them to attack consumer rights. Why should we pay the price for their poor management decisions?

#25 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

There is no Gamestop problem.  Its just easier to try to squeeze the used games market than to prevent the hackers and pirates from cracking boxes and playing software for free.  Gamestop even has stats showing a large percentage of used games are traded in towards new titles...new titles that would otherwise not be bought.  

-ArchAngeL-777-
Its easier to remove our ability to sell used games than making a game worth keeping past the 1st month of ownership.
#26 Posted by Blabadon (25906 posts) -
I like GameStop.
#27 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -

[QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]

MFDOOM1983

Its easier to remove our ability to sell used games than making a game worth keeping past the 1st month of ownership.

The point is there are actually more statistics to show that used games help the industry than hurt it.  The best the detractors have is a trophy collection which really doesn't tell you much about the actual users logging time on it.  A lot of people have multiple IDs on PSN since its free.

#28 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] When publishers open thousands of stores and hire tens of thousands to staff those stores, then they'll be entitled to revenue from used game sales. MFDOOM1983

min wage.

Welcome to retail(80% part time/20$ full time).... Unskilled workers aren't entitled to anything but min. wage jobs.

The video game industry has seen steady growth for the past 30 years with used game sales along for the ride. Just because publishers want to inflate game/marketing budgets for games that fail to turn a profit doesn't make it right for them to attack consumer rights. Why should we pay the price for their poor management decisions?

because to me the middlemen are the most useless part of the process.

they don't dream up the intellectual properties or produce the goods and they don't manufacture anything  but take the lions share of the profit.

to me that is a messed up system.

i know it is a necessary thing and all but there has to be a better way to do things where most of the money goes to the people that dream up the products and the people that build the products.

#29 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]

-ArchAngeL-777-

The point is there are actually more statistics to show that used games help the industry than hurt it.  The best the detractors have is a trophy collection which really doesn't tell you much about the actual users logging time on it.  A lot of people have multiple IDs on PSN since its free.

There are plenty of people who constantly "recycle" their games. Buy new>>>trade in>>>>Buy new>>> trade in GS issued out $1.5 billion trade-in credit in 2012, 70% of which went toward the purchase of new games. Removing used games would only mean less sales for publishers and gamers being even more hesitant about buying new ip.
#30 Posted by darkspineslayer (19539 posts) -

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]lol, gamestop treats their employees like shyt.

min wage.

Riverwolf007

they don't dream up the intellectual properties or produce the goods and they don't manufacture anything  but take the lions share of the profit.

i know it is a necessary thing and all but there has to be a better way to do things where most of the money goes to the people that dream up the products and the people that build the products.

i'm not sure your aware of just how little the retailer makes on a new sale... Used is what keeps GameStop as a viable business, and for all the industries bitching, they need the game specialty stores.
#31 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
Both Gamestop and the Xbox One are bad.YoshiYogurt
Then so is Steam.
#32 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6966 posts) -
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Xbox one will allow trades, without a fee from the user, Xbox one will allow you to give your game to someone on your friends list....once. Those trade ins, they can only be done by an authorized retailer. Whose the biggest name in games retail in North America right now? GameStop. We've all heard how evil GameStop is for trying to make a profit out of used games, and the industry hates them, right? I won't rehash the arguments here, because that isn't really the point of this thread. To cut to that point however, if your 'licence' can only be transferred once to a friend, that would destroy the rest of the used games market, would it not? The far more beneficial to gamers methods like Amazon, Craigslist, ect...GameStop would be the only avenue left to trade in games. If GameStop is so evil, where is the logic in making them the only avenue for the second hand market?MFDOOM1983

This post hit the nail on the head. If a console manufacturer thinks they can cut out the used game market completely by locking all games to a single console, then fine. Let's see how that experiment works. But if they want to try to skim profits they aren't entitled too off of a market they choose not to participate in with fees, that's just bullshit. It should be illegal.
#33 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]lol, gamestop treats their employees like shyt.

min wage.

Riverwolf007

That's a load of BS and you know it.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a8b7438c970b-600wi

Publishers are free to create their own distributing platforms(EA's Orgin) on PC.  Console manufacturers(MS,Sony and Nintendo) are just as much middlemen as retailers are. 

#34 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Welcome to retail(80% part time/20$ full time).... Unskilled workers aren't entitled to anything but min. wage jobs.

darkspineslayer

i'm not sure your aware of just how little the retailer makes on a new sale... Used is what keeps GameStop as a viable business, and for all the industries bitching, they need the game specialty stores.

yeah that's true there is almost  no markup on games and consoles.

i was kind of off on a tear and thinking about the legions of marketing and lawyers and suppliers and such in industries like health care and finance.

i guess in gaming it is kind of a different story.

#35 Posted by Chutebox (36579 posts) -

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]i'm pretty sure the logic is that the money goes into gamestop and not back to people that make games.

Riverwolf007

min wage.

i have buddys that work there and the schedule works like this, one guy works 50 hours a week for next to nothing  and everyone else works 10 for next to nothing.

So....don't work there?
#36 Posted by Chutebox (36579 posts) -
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Both Gamestop and the Xbox One are bad.percech
Then so is Steam.

If MS offers huge discounts like Steam there won't be a need for used games.
#37 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] When publishers open thousands of stores and hire tens of thousands to staff those stores, then they'll be entitled to revenue from used game sales. Chutebox

min wage.

So....don't work there?

well, i don't.

i train dogs but if the argument is that gamestop is some kind of benevolent job creator and that is why they deserve to survive it is not a great argument because they are terrible at providing jobs.

and sure they are just doing what we all do and working the system to benefit themselves the most and technically there is nothing wrong with that.

i am just saying providing crappy jobs may not be in as good of interest as opposed to more money going to a guy that actually sits down everyday and makes games.

#38 Posted by Chutebox (36579 posts) -

I'm sure people working for GS are just thankful they have a job.

#40 Posted by Badosh (12727 posts) -
Both Gamestop and the Xbox One are bad.YoshiYogurt
#42 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
There are other places to buy used games than gamestop...
#43 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -
Publishers have been talking out both sides of their mouths. They whine incessantly about GameStop stealing their money, while cozying up to GameStop with preorder bonuses and vying for prime shelf space, And THEN going to platform makers and demanding they put them in charge of the used game market they're too gutless to tackle themselves. And rentals. And lending/trading/gifting your games away as you see fit. The best part is they've conditioned a small army of teenagers to go out and argue that this corporate welfare is for their own good. Thankfully prior generations weren't so easily bamboozled, or we wouldn't even have libraries today.
#44 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -
There are other places to buy used games than gamestop...NEWMAHAY
Not for the XB1, unless they're large enough to negotiate themselves onto MS's system. Only approved retailers will be able to accept used titles for their new console. So the local resale shop in your town just got boned.
#45 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3013 posts) -

GS sells used games as new... I once bought a "new" Mario Kart and when I played it, it already had a save on it lol. 

#46 Posted by ActicEdge (24344 posts) -

As gamers, I don't know why any of you feel like Gamestop shouldn't exist. Lots of places in lots of markets are rip offs. The solution is to avoid, not to feel like its okay to rewrite consumer rights so  we get screwed. And for what? For publishers and devs who can't even make mony despote the game industry being its biggest ever. I'm sorry but you're a moron if you think that way.

#47 Posted by Chutebox (36579 posts) -

As gamers, I don't know why any of you feel like Gamestop shouldn't exist. Lots of places in lots of markets are rip offs. The solution is to avoid, not to feel like its okay to rewrite consumer rights so  we get screwed. And for what? For publishers and devs who can't even make mony despote the game industry being its biggest ever. I'm sorry but you're a moron if you think that way.

ActicEdge

Come on man, you shouldn't apologize for feeling that way.

#48 Posted by heretrix (37306 posts) -

Gamespot isn't evil but they suck more than a black hole.