but the reviewers say so!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rosko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rosko123
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts

I think people should stop taking "professional" reviews as gospel and just look into the games yourself often even a youtube video is more reliable than a lot of gaming websites that say a game is buggy or has something that kills a game and will show you an exploited piece of footage of this so called glitch often nowhere to be found when you actually buy the game! Maybe sometimes theyre reviewing beta's or whatever but if thats the case you cannot review something that is not representative of the finished product!

Some of the problems are often infantile mistakes by the review not doing what the game instructs you to do ala vampire rain reviews *squints eyes*

MANY times now i have gone to youtube and watched normal users review games giving far more thoughrough and detailed reviews.

This is all just kind of aimed at people who take reviews as gospel "this game is terrible cos GS says so" from this i can only gather these users are young as they have yet to be able to form an oppinion of there own.

Will this get me banned?! ahah

lbp209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lbp209
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

I think people should stop taking "professional" reviews as gospel and just look into the games yourself often even a youtube video is more reliable than a lot of gaming websites that say a game is buggy or has something that kills a game and will show you an exploited piece of footage of this so called glitch often nowhere to be found when you actually buy the game! Maybe sometimes theyre reviewing beta's or whatever but if thats the case you cannot review something that is not representative of the finished product!

Some of the problems are often infantile mistakes by the review not doing what the game instructs you to do ala vampire rain reviews *squints eyes*

MANY times now i have gone to youtube and watched normal users review games giving far more thoughrough and detailed reviews.

This is all just kind of aimed at people who take reviews as gospel "this game is terrible cos GS says so" from this i can only gather these users are young as they have yet to be able to form an oppinion of there own.

rosko123

Well I used to do that when game prices were $49.00 plus tax but now at $60 I make sure every reviewer praises it, games are too expensive now adays to be spending on any game.

That's why now most of the games I have are 9.0 and up

MGS 4

Killzone 2

Little Big Planet

Street Fighter IV

GTA IV

Resistance 2

although I would buy games below 9.0 but not anything below an 8 for instance i'm planning on buying warhawk and uncharted

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

My problem is more so when people read only one review, and go by that, and only that. As if that one reviewer is enough to go by.

I always read reviews from all the major sites, and I do watch youtube video reviews, and gameplay videos before making a purchase.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Yeah, I play what I want. I couldn't give a jack about others opinions. My opinion is the only one that matters to me. If I'm interested in something, then I buy it. A game doesn't live and die by reviews, but by my personal hands-on time.

Avatar image for liquidsnake1987
liquidsnake1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 liquidsnake1987
Member since 2004 • 4750 Posts

i dont use a single review for making a choice, i use sites like metacritic or gamerankings. Also, i started to read gamer's thoughts and used them to consider a purchase. There are other means of deciding whether to buy a game or not.

Agent_305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Agent_305
Member since 2007 • 758 Posts

Yeah, I play what I want. I couldn't give a jack about others opinions. My opinion is the only one that matters to me. If I'm interested in something, then I buy it. A game doesn't live and die by reviews, but by my personal hands-on time.

BioShockOwnz
Couldn't have said it better myself!
lbp209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lbp209
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

BioShockOwnz

yes but let's say you buy the gamefor $65 dollars play it and oh noo I don't like it if you listened to the reviews you would have saved yourself $60 and a whole lotta time there were many games I regretted buying in the past (PS2)and revieweres warned me I shouldve listened.

cough 50 cent cough

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts

I agree, but it's not gonna happen.

Fanboys opinion vs Fanboys opinion. It wouldn't end well.

muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts

[QUOTE="rosko123"]

lbp209

Well I used to do that when game prices were $49.00 plus tax but now at $60 I make sure every reviewer praises it, games are too expensive now adays to be spending on any game.

MGS 4

Killzone 2

Little Big Planet

Street Fighter IV

GTA IV

Resistance 2

although I would buy games below 9.0 but not anything below an 8 for instance i'm planning on buying warhawk and uncharted

I am sorry but it is very "tool" of you, some of the best games I have played were below 8, like Clear Sky.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
[QUOTE="muscleserge"][QUOTE="lbp209"]

[QUOTE="rosko123"]

MGS 4

Killzone 2

Little Big Planet

Street Fighter IV

GTA IV

Resistance 2

I am sorry but it is very "tool" of you, some of the best games I have played were below 8, like Clear Sky.

It's very "tool" to go around calling others a tool because they place value in critics opinions, and completely unoriginal ;)
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

Gamespot reviews are used to determin flops.

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

Far too many people take only one review to heart than bash the game to oblivion. I use multiple sites and I have lowered my starndards any thing lower than 7.0 is a waste imo exception to halowars which was awesome.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
I agree
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

EVOLV3
Yeh everyone said halo wars had flopped and they claimed this by gamespots review it was pretty funny.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
[QUOTE="black_tempest"] It's very "tool" to go around calling others a tool because they place value in critics opinions, and completely unoriginal ;)

well whatever floats your boat, but I am trying to say that you are missing out on a lot of good games.
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

[QUOTE="EVOLV3"]

TX360

Yeh everyone said halo wars had flopped and they claimed this by gamespots review it was pretty funny.

It did flop.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="EVOLV3"]

TX360

it's because that's what the word "flop" means here...a game who's gamespot score didn't meet its hype level.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

lbp209

yes but let's say you buy the gamefor $65 dollars play it and oh noo I don't like it if you listened to the reviews you would have saved yourself $60 and a whole lotta time there were many games I regretted buying in the past (PS2)and revieweres warned me I shouldve listened.

cough 50 cent cough

Rarely does that happen for me. If I like how the game looks, then I'll most likely find some enjoyment out of it. Usually I know what I'm getting into. I keep my expectations low if it's a budget title or small developer, so therefore I usually get something out of it. The regrets of this gen are Two Worlds, Far Cry 2, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Haze, Lair, and Legendary.

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

Sonic Unleashed, Shinobi and God Hand

Three very good reasons for why I couldn't give a stuff about reviewers (especially IGN).

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#20 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Well, I barely watch reviews her anymore. Before I wouldn't miss a review(When Alex, Jeff and Greg were here) now, I don't. I go to YouTube watch gameplay vids, demos, trailers and user reviews before buying a game. An ordinary gamer is a better reviewer than some guys anyways.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

I'm a gamer on a budget so I tend to only buy AAA material, I'll play almost anything or at least try almost anything, but I won't buy almost anything lol.