Bungie: Destiny Is A Different Game After 20 Hours

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

How many hours have you put into Destiny since it launched? If it's more than 20, you should be playing a very different game than the one you started, according to Bungie.

"Twenty hours in, I think that players will find that they’ve evolved to playing a whole different kind of game than the shooter that started them off,” Bungie Executive Producer Patrick O’Kelley said in an interview posted to Xbox Wire. “They’ll find that they’re immersed in a different world, and are deep into the history of their characters. They’ll have built a community of other players. And, without realizing it, they’ll have learned some sophisticated mechanics that enable them to gear up and dive into a six-player cooperative raid, in pursuit of high-level exotic weapons and armor.

Ell oh fucking ell, Bungie. If you will ask me to put in nearly two dozen hours just to wait for the game to actually get not shit, then you've already missed the point. I'm not one with a short attention span or anything, but I respect games that respect my time. If you're not going to grab my attention, at least in some capacity, to begin with, then tough shit, you've lost out. The fact that Bungie has to come out and use the Final Fantasy XIII defense for their newest game is laughable and sad, and indicative of the precipitous decline in quality from their previous games. What happened here? You were the guys who made the immediately arresting Halo games. How the hell did it come to this?

SOURCE

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Eh, not really.

Game is ballin' though.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The part about "building a community of other players" is pretty laughable.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Ell oh fucking ell, Bungie. If you will ask me to put in nearly two dozen hours just to wait for the game to actually get not shit, then you've already missed the point of the game. I'm not one with a short attention span or anything, but I respect games that respect my time. If you're not going to grab my attention, at least in some capacity, to begin with, then tough shit, you've lost out. The fact that Bungie has to come out and use the Final Fantasy defense for their newest game is laughable and sad, and indicative of the precipitous decline in quality from their previous games. What happened here? You were the guys who made the immediately arresting Halo games. How the hell did it come to this?

You're really upset about this aren't you? Bungie never said the game gets better after 20 hours, just that it gets more immersive and more beneficial to continue playing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R3FURBISHED said:

@charizard1605 said:

Ell oh fucking ell, Bungie. If you will ask me to put in nearly two dozen hours just to wait for the game to actually get not shit, then you've already missed the point of the game. I'm not one with a short attention span or anything, but I respect games that respect my time. If you're not going to grab my attention, at least in some capacity, to begin with, then tough shit, you've lost out. The fact that Bungie has to come out and use the Final Fantasy defense for their newest game is laughable and sad, and indicative of the precipitous decline in quality from their previous games. What happened here? You were the guys who made the immediately arresting Halo games. How the hell did it come to this?

You're really upset about this aren't you? Bungie never said the game gets better after 20 hours, just that it gets more immersive and more beneficial to continue playing.

When a great developer puts out a turd, yes, I tend to get pretty upset.

The fact that the game needs a 20 hour investment before it begins to pay off is amazingly laughable. It indicates bad game design, plain and simple, there is no excuse.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@charizard1605 said:

When a great developer puts out a turd, yes, I tend to get pretty upset.

The fact that the game needs a 20 hour investment before it begins to pay off is amazingly laughable. It indicates bad game design, plain and simple, there is no excuse.

no

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The game is actually far worse after 20 hours. At that point, there is absolutely no more content to experience. You are grinding strikes for better gear and that is all.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

After 20 hours, I played a lot of PvP with some basic mp options to grind up and hope that RNJesus would throw me a bone here and there, because the alternative was doing those strikes, which suck, definitively.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@JangoWuzHere said:

The game is actually far worse after 20 hours. At that point, there is absolutely no more content to experience. You are grinding strikes for better gear and that is all.

@jg4xchamp said:

After 20 hours, I played a lot of PvP with some basic mp options to grind up and hope that RNJesus would throw me a bone here and there, because the alternative was doing those strikes, which suck, definitively.

Ah, so it is different, just worse. So Bungie wasn't lying.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R3FURBISHED

@JangoWuzHere said:

well yeah, as you do with every loot-based game ever.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The new raid comes out tomorrow and you need to be level 26 if you don't want your ass handed to you. I just reached level 20 and I can't stand the idea of spending 8-12 hours of grinding just to experience the raid.

@R3FURBISHED said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Destiny is a terrible loot game. You get good loot rarely and all the gun types are the exact same. Even when I got my first blue auto-rifle, I was completely unexcited. It shoots and animates like all the other auto-rifles starting from level 1.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

But Kevin played it for 40 hours .

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

@charizard1605: Do you have some kind of personal agenda against this game that you open so many anti-destiny threads?

You could finish Diablo 3 in considerably less time and had nothing else to do than repeat the same levels over and over again, hoping for better loot. And that game had even much less to offer than Destiny (no PvP, for example), but for some reason that's cool. But apply the same principle to Destiny plus some, and suddenly it sucks. What?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Nightflash28 said:

@charizard1605: Do you have some kind of personal agenda against this game that you open so many anti-destiny threads?

You could finish Diablo 3 in considerably less time and had nothing else to do than repeat the same levels over and over again, hoping for better loot. And that game had even much less to offer than Destiny (no PvP, for example), but for some reason that's cool. But apply the same principle to Destiny plus some, and suddenly it sucks. What?

???

When did I make any other thread about Destiny, positive or negative?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm reading lots of comments that are very ignorant of the facts. Champ and Refurbished are right though. The game does change: it becomes a grind fest that's repetitive. You get the stupid story out of the way, and now you focus on very random gear with light drops, and faction reputation and bounties. I'm level 23 Hunter and have become very bored with it.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

lol charizard thread.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R3FURBISHED

@charizard1605 said:

@Nightflash28 said:

???

You just let all your feelings build up then threw it up in this thread? Got it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R3FURBISHED said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Nightflash28 said:

???

You just let all your feelings build up then threw it up in this thread? Got it.

Man, you get me so well.

TuuPumpChump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 TuuPumpChump
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

I just got to level 20. Can't wait to start grinding for light gear, heroic raids and everything

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#20 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

The more I read about this game, the more I'm seeing that I wouldn't be happy with a lot of the stuff. I'll pick it up eventually but glad I waited.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

How many hours have you put into Destiny since it launched? If it's more than 20, you should be playing a very different game than the one you started, according to Bungie.

"Twenty hours in, I think that players will find that they’ve evolved to playing a whole different kind of game than the shooter that started them off,” Bungie Executive Producer Patrick O’Kelley said in an interview posted to Xbox Wire. “They’ll find that they’re immersed in a different world, and are deep into the history of their characters. They’ll have built a community of other players. And, without realizing it, they’ll have learned some sophisticated mechanics that enable them to gear up and dive into a six-player cooperative raid, in pursuit of high-level exotic weapons and armor.

Ell oh fucking ell, Bungie. If you will ask me to put in nearly two dozen hours just to wait for the game to actually get not shit, then you've already missed the point. I'm not one with a short attention span or anything, but I respect games that respect my time. If you're not going to grab my attention, at least in some capacity, to begin with, then tough shit, you've lost out. The fact that Bungie has to come out and use the Final Fantasy XIII defense for their newest game is laughable and sad, and indicative of the precipitous decline in quality from their previous games. What happened here? You were the guys who made the immediately arresting Halo games. How the hell did it come to this?

SOURCE

you being a massive nintendo fan makes this absolutely hilarious

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

No offence charizard1605 but I find it odd that you most of the times told everyone to post any Destiny threads on the Destiny sticky and yet it's okay for you to make one when you most of the times lock the other Destiny threads when you told them to take into the Sticky so what happen to that?

Back on topic: Destiny is all about building a team community which they stated from the beginning, I already am level 21 but I find the game to be fun, but it's not living to my expectation but still, I have not beating story mode, just doing different missions and the loot system is not bad. I'm just going to take it that this is an angry rant.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Not Diablo 3. I still play that every other day and it doesn't seem to get old.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I have to put 20 hours into a game before it gets good? top lel.

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

Sorry for double posting but I need to say this while this thread is still fresh.

I for one will say I'm enjoying Destiny. I wasn't on the hype train until I played the beta. There's something about the game that continually draws me in. It nails the feel and atmosphere of a Sci-fi universe, almost making me think of star wars and mass effect at times. The story isn't great, and the game doesn't particularly revolutionize anything as it may lead you to think. However, the gameplay is tight, graphics are cool and I find the boss battles fun. The game could use a little more loot, but I've been detracted by games like borderlands and fallout because there's too much damn loot. I don't want to pop into my menu after every other battle just to check my loot to see if I picked up something better. This allows the game to flow better from battle to battle. Also, I love being able to summon your vehicle at almost any time to travel; this is one of the coolest ways to get around in a video game. There's a good variety of content to play, even if some of it is simply "go from a to b and scan this" or "kill enemies till we say stop". The game isn't perfect by any means, but if you love a sci-fi setting and fps's then I would recommend this game. I'm only level 21 atm, but I believe the game deserves a solid 7 or 8 on the rating scale. It'll be interesting to see what changes Bungie makes in the following months to help improve upon the game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

No offence charizard1605 but I find it odd that you most of the times told everyone to post any Destiny threads on the Destiny sticky and yet it's okay for you to make one when you most of the times lock the other Destiny threads when you told them to take into the Sticky so what happen to that?

Back on topic: Destiny is all about building a team community which they stated from the beginning, I already am level 21 but I find the game to be fun, but it's not living to my expectation but still, I have not beating story mode, just doing different missions and the loot system is not bad. I'm just going to take it that this is an angry rant.

The thread is unstickied now, that is what happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Maybe they've got a point. A lot of games take a minute to get going. It wasn't until my 3rd attempt on Twilight Princess that I decided to stick with it--the first two goes were around ten hours. 3rd time I ended up putting in 80 or so hours and the game turned out to be one of my favorites.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Twenty hours to get a "different" game? That's an awful lot of tolerance that even I don't have.

Why couldn't they just have created a regular shooter experience with a meaningful story and characters and left the loot-grinding MMO bullshit out of it?

Icarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Icarian
Member since 2004 • 2188 Posts

Bungie is in full damage control it seems.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

Wow lol, after all the hype this game got, what a flop. 20hrs, the game changes, what sort of damage control is this now?

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@charizard1605:

That's not what he said...

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts

After reading a lot of opinions and reviews of this game up until now, it seems I will not buy it because I hate loot based games. It seems that this game doesn't even do loot based the proper way.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I almost made Destiny an impulse buy. I'm really glad I didn't. What utter disappointment from Bungie. I don't think I should have to wait 20 hours to finally get into the meat of the game. It should be there in the first hour, the second and the third ... the whole game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50495 Posts

The same was said about lost odyssey. But that game sucked the whole way

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

@Icarian said:

Sadly, I must agree, this gen is flat out weird in my book.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#36 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Too bad it wasn't a different game after 1 hour.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

After a hundred hours it's a different game.....sure.

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Twenty hours to get a "different" game? That's an awful lot of tolerance that even I don't have.

Why couldn't they just have created a regular shooter experience with a meaningful story and characters and left the loot-grinding MMO bullshit out of it?

That's what I'm thinking. I think the game would have scored better if they would have stuck to the FPS formula instead of trying to create a pseudo MMO experience.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Yeah,that sounds a lot like what the FF fanboys were saying about FFXIII,"oh bu but it gets better when you reach Grand Pulse...like 20 hours later lol.

It didn´t.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I just don't think this type of game works well on consoles. It wouldn't be easy to pull off well on the PC, either, but it would at least be doable.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

LOL, even if thats true, thats not the way to pull gamers in, they need to be sucked into the game from the beginning, not after 20 hours.

Very few gamers who are unsure about Destiny to begin with are not going to last more than an hour or two before making up their minds.....Thats probably why sales and reviews are so terrible.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Too bad it wasn't a different game after 1 hour.

I laughed.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

For the people who are playing the game.

Do you believe that the disappointment comes more from the game being so hyped up that you was just expecting better, or the fact the game is actually as bad as people say, I mean I know this game was hyped right from the off, but people are enjoying the game if it wasn't as hyped then you possible could of had a different view????

The one thing whats put me off is the fact it's all just cut scenes from planet to planet it would been nice if they made say a galaxy where you could just roam world to world with your own space ship, example a more no man sky or star citizen type of roaming, instead of doing a mission going to a cut scene choosing a planet and a mission and then watch ya space ship fly off????

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bread_or_Decide

@Icarian said:

The game should speak for itself. Posting this a week after reviews shit on your game is just desperate and pure damage control.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Will the invisible walls disappear and i be able to fully explore the backgrounds, as promissed? Cool =)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

That's disheartening. Glad I skipped it.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@R3FURBISHED: 'well yeah, as you do with every loot-based game ever.'

Not really. Oblivion and Skyrim didn't got old to me until the 350 hour mark.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

I haven't put in too much time yet, up to level 11 and am halfway through the moon story missions but so far it hasn't really grabbed me. PvP hasn't grabbed me yet either, but I've only tried two control matches so far and got my ass handed to me while I fumbled around the maps trying to get my bearings. My K/D is like 0.29 lol. I will keep it around to satisfy my shooter itch but unless they do something amazing with some (free) story DLC, then this one will be a destined to collect dust on my game shelf.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

It's crazy how Skyrim feels MORE like an MMO than Destiny does and Skyrim is NOT an MMO.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I bought it for ps4 buddy of mine grabbed me an xbone version so he'd have a friend to play wit. I Def don't hv the urge to keep playing like other games.game feels like it has no heart no soul just a ship floating aimlessly thru space