#51 Posted by remiks00 (1914 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@CanYouDiglt said:

@Salt_The_Fries:

"But it doesn't bode well for the whole game in my opinion"

How does that not bode well for the game? If one of the biggest complaints for such a massive game is just one of the voice actors then that is not bad. It is even being fixed.

it doesn't bode well for lems, you know. They want destiny to be titanfail 2.0

They wanted Destiny for themselves alone. Hence all the negativity about all things Destiny.

pretty much :( yet they hyped titanfail to no end, lul.

A game on PS4? BAD!!! A game not on PS4? GOOOOOOOD!!!

But that can be said about all fanboys bro. Sony fanboys do the exact same thing.

#52 Edited by Basinboy (11248 posts) -

The voice acting did come across a bit...stiff.

Personally I wouldn't have cast Dinklage in that role for a line of work he's not accustomed to, but I don't doubt that he is capable of giving a convincing performance. The biggest problem is he and Bungie are stuck having to live up to the performance of Tim Dadabo as 343 Guilty Spark.

#53 Posted by cainetao11 (17780 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries:

Don't see it bro. Not bode well for whole game? I am getting that printed on a T shirt now.

#54 Posted by cainetao11 (17780 posts) -

@heretrix said:

It's like people don't understand what a goddamn alpha or beta version of a game is. It's not like the lines can't be re-recorded.

You know there is a theory in human psychology that people enjoy complaining and going into detailed critiques of things because it makes them feel or seem knowledgeable, even though they themselves have never created anything of note. I thought of that from last term when I read your post. LOL

#55 Posted by yokofox33 (29916 posts) -

Maybe their whole plan was to release the alpha with poor voice acting, create internet memes, produce shirts, and get tons of buzz even if it was negative.

#56 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

You guys had a multipage argument about this. Think about that. Then be ashamed.

Christ.

#57 Posted by GamingTitan (547 posts) -

Meh. It's not a big actor. I mean... Deal. It's not a big deal.

#58 Posted by kinectthedots (2016 posts) -

Can't be worse than Rico or any of the voice actors from KZ2, those were literally the worst voice acting I ever experienced in a game.

#59 Posted by Evo_nine (1741 posts) -

Tchbo!

#60 Posted by Bruin1986 (1300 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

This is why casting famous celebrities in the role VO for videogames is generally a bad idea.

1) Huge chunk of the game's budget goes towards VO work, which is sad when you notice the rest of the game suffer for the VO work (like TES:O)

2) Most Hollywood actors don't take videogame VO seriously (which is why they often perform much worse than non-famous actors). There are some who are excellent at it, like Michael Ironside and Mark Hamil, but these people are generally the exception and not the rule.

3) No one buys a game because it has a certain voice actor.

The cost of hiring Peter Dinklage as a voice actor was undoubtedly minuscule, hell microscopic, compared to the cost of the whole game.

It's the most expensive game in history.

That's like deciding to add a leather-wrapped steering wheel to your Bugatti Veyron instead of the standard variant.

#61 Posted by _SWAG_ (2596 posts) -

lulz just becoz the ps4 is the lead system for this game the hataz are all woo-hah about this but us sony ridahz are chillin like woo-sah we get the best version

#62 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1638 posts) -

Are we complaining about a voice actor? Something that can be redone with minimal effort?

#63 Posted by Motokid6 (5730 posts) -

@_SWAG_: Not much oxygen where you live, huh?

#64 Posted by silversix_ (14816 posts) -

Hopefully the open world exploration isn't as dull n boring as the writing and voice acting

#65 Posted by m_machine024 (15020 posts) -

What's with TCs making their titles the more negative possible? lol Bungie is taking it really cool actually.

#66 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16430 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

That's true in most cases. But, one reason why I bought Wing Commander IV and Killzone 3 was to see/hear Malcolm McDowell. I love his voice overs.

#67 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -
@speak_low said:

And prior to the Alpha, there was Dinklage's voice throughout the 2014 E3 trailer "New Beginnings" (can be heard from around 1:07).

His flatter line readings heard in the Alpha seem to make more sense when we see what his character looks like and know that it's an AI companion.

What sounded "unemotional" and indifferent in the Alpha actually sounds much cooler here. With the voice filter correctly applied his voice resonates a lot more.

He sounds absolutely fine here to me. I have'nt actually heard the supposedly bad VO, but this is at the very least fine.

#68 Posted by Boddicker (2820 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

This is why casting famous celebrities in the role VO for videogames is generally a bad idea.

1) Huge chunk of the game's budget goes towards VO work, which is sad when you notice the rest of the game suffer for the VO work (like TES:O)

2) Most Hollywood actors don't take videogame VO seriously (which is why they often perform much worse than non-famous actors). There are some who are excellent at it, like Michael Ironside and Mark Hamil, but these people are generally the exception and not the rule.

This. A million times this.

#69 Posted by Motokid6 (5730 posts) -

@Boddicker: How?

1.) Does it say somewhere how much money was spent on hiring Dinklage? How do we know it's a "huge chunk"?

2.) Dinklage has done voice overs for animated movies in the past just fine. He even sang. I'm sure he can get this right.

3.) I do.

#70 Edited by uninspiredcup (9014 posts) -

Bungie ruined the FPS genre.

#71 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Bungie ruined the FPS genre.

Not even close to true.

#72 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5390 posts) -

Voice overs are never good in alphas, we need to give the devs time to optimize the voice over code. Same with the dialog, just give them more time to optimize the code, and with the power of the next gen consoles I'm sure the voice acting and dialog will be 10x better than anything the previous generation of consoles could handle!

#73 Edited by KHAndAnime (13913 posts) -

@Bruin1986 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The cost of hiring Peter Dinklage as a voice actor was undoubtedly minuscule, hell microscopic, compared to the cost of the whole game.

It's the most expensive game in history.

That's like deciding to add a leather-wrapped steering wheel to your Bugatti Veyron instead of the standard variant.

You can't prove it, you don't know the game's budget. For all you know, it could've been a decent fraction of the budget, which could be used to fix the inevitable launch bugs. Bungie already stated the game's budget is absolutely not in the ballpark of 500mil (with marketing included), so it's probably less than 100mil for the game itself.

Some celebrity voice actors have demanded as much as 750k for a one hour session, and even before 2010, a voice actor made as much as $500k from work done for one videogame.

All that info is from years ago. Dinklage is A-list right now, he could've asked for 1 million and received it for all you know. Games are much bigger in budget than 5 years ago, keep in mind, 1 million for Peter Dinklage isn't all that far fetched.