Building a gaming rig made console gaming almost null

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

..but there's something to be said about a particular company, that is Nintendo, which can really give gamers something that cannot be found anywhere else. The uniqueness of gameplay and light hearted fun makes Nintendo games stand above all others in the fun department.

but here comes the question to you guys:

how important are exclusive games to you in the purchase of a system?

gaming_banner_professional_6box.jpg

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Wii: bought to play Twilight Princess with motion controls PS3: bought to play Valkyria Chronicles PSP: bought to play Valkyria Chronicles 2 360: bought to play Halo Yes. It's one of the only reasons why I buy any system. NDS is exception in that I just wanted a current-gen handheld gaming device. So was 3DS.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

As a PC gamer, I realised how important exclusives are to consoles. They are all I'm using my consoles for now, and I wouldn't say that PC gaming makes console gaming null as there are still excellent exclusives on consoles.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Exclusives are always important if you plan to own more than one system.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Well they're the reason I bought all the consoles this gen. Ideally I'd like a single console that got everything. Just have consoles standardised like Cd/Dvd/Blu Ray players and let everyone make games for every console.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

..but there's something to be said about a particular company, that is Nintendo, which can really give gamers something that cannot be found anywhere else. The uniqueness of gameplay and light hearted fun makes Nintendo games stand above all others in the fun department.

aia89

For me?

1. A few exclusive games are enough for me to justify purchase of a console. I only have a few games for my PS3 and I'm happy with it. Heck, I bought a 3DO a long time ago just for 3 games: Road Rash, Need for Speed, and Madden.

2. One genre (flight sims) is enough justification for me to assemble a PC with a relatively pricey video card although the use of GPU-processing (like CUDA and Stream) in non-game apps have given me other excuses.

All other reasons are gravy.

Edit:

I'd like to buy a 360 (as do my kid). If it was just me, I would've bought one already. But, the problem is the wife. She looked at the kid's stuff (PC, Wii and handhelds), my stuff (PC, PS3, and PSP) and decided we don't need another console.

cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

They're important. Its the reason I get all consoles, so I don't have to miss out on anything. Only thing I'm missing is a capable pc which sucks, but I have plenty of games to play still.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Well, PC pretty much already won next-gen.

However, consoles will still be worth returning to for the exclusives.

(except if they get emulated)

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Dolphin makes you Wii null.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Well they're the reason I bought all the consoles this gen. Ideally I'd like a single console that got everything. Just have consoles standardised like Cd/Dvd/Blu Ray players and let everyone make games for every console.locopatho

The competition would be dead then. :|

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
Exclusives are pretty much the only reason to play on consoles
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Agreed. And Nintendo does it best.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

So is this thread about importance of exclusives, about building a gaming rig or about PC gaming making consoles irrelevant? :shock:

Anyway - excluisves are the reason I bought PS3 over cheaper 360 back in 2009.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
As a PC gamer, exclusives was all that matter when picking out which console to buy to go with the PC and that was a no contest easy as hell win for the PS3.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

aia89
No PC RIG would ever keep me away from console game. Exclusives are important for systems, as they differentiate themselves from the other systems. That's the main reason I own a PS3 and Wii along with the XBox 360. I pretty much buy nothing but exclusives for the PS3 and Wii and everything for the XBox 360.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

nameless12345
PC doesn't really have any generation, so there is nothing for them to win. PC's technology is constantly changing on a monthly basis. There is never a stagnant system with PC, so there is never a need for a next generation. PC hardware aren't in competition with consoles. The Wii was thing generation and the PS1 and PS2 won the last two generations. It's that simple.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

blackace

PC doesn't really have any generation, so there is nothing for them to win. PC's technology is constantly changing on a monthly basis. There is never a stagnant system with PC, so there is never a need for a next generation. PC hardware aren't in competition with consoles. The Wii was thing generation and the PS1 and PS2 won the last two generations. It's that simple.

That's not completely true.

PC does have generations but they usually happen when a new line of graphics cards, or a game that makes good usage of latest hardware, happen.

PC may not compete directly with the consoles but it does rise the expectations for consoles significantly.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
A Nintendo platform will always be required in my gaming setup. PC + Wii U = :) Now the Playstation and Xbox, to me, are now just luxuries. I really don't need them in my setup UNLESS they bring something amazing into the picture. Exclusives are nice but if those exclusives are generic or similar in formula, I really don't care for them. I want exclusives that are not possible on another platform.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

aia89

I can play Wii games on my PC using a Wii mote or Xbox 360 controller so it doesn't bother me there.

But I do get certain exclusives for the 360 and PS3.

Once the Wii U has been out for a year or so and has a good list of exclusives I will buy it.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

aia89

That's exactly the reason I own a Wii and a PC.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

That's not completely true.

PC does have generations but they usually happen when a new line of graphics cards, or a game that makes good usage of latest hardware, happen.

PC may not compete directly with the consoles but it does rise the expectations for consoles significantly.

I agree with that, I think PC has more sub-generations with occasional leaps in technology. Console generations start out great, then stagnate for awhile and leap ahead rapidly to try and at least match where PC is at.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

PCgameruk

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

[QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

quebec946

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
exclusives/ features. mean everything to someone who is only buying one. it's that think that stands apart from each other.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

'Meh'xclusives imo.

All that matters to me is where I'd rather play a game.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

yes..exlusives are probably 100% why people buy a certain console. And are very important. It wont be long all games will be playable on streaming devices though...ie settop box..streamed right from your cable box ect...I look forward to that day..THEN people can just focus on the actual game and not all the junk surrounding the company.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Considering I always have a PC, exclusives are probably 90% of the decision.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'm only buying a console next gen if it has a strong showing of Japanese exclusives. If the Wii U picks up some good JRPGs along with the usual Nintendo heavy hitters then I'll probably get it.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

As a PC gamer, I realised how important exclusives are to consoles. They are all I'm using my consoles for now, and I wouldn't say that PC gaming makes console gaming null as there are still excellent exclusives on consoles.

GamerwillzPS
This. The only reason I play on consoles now are because of exclusives. But multi plats the best choice is always PC.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I need more than 15 exclusives that I like. Or at least 3 that I rilly rilly need.
Nintendo tends to have that. The others not so much.

Nintendo had Warioland, DKC, SMG, Zelda, Metroid trilogy (hadn't played 2), Zack, SSBB, Monster Hunter tri, Rhythm Paradise, best RE4 edition, etc.
Halo is good, Kameo or whatever grabbed my attention, and Forza a little. That is it in terms of 360 exclusives. So I use other peoples 360 to play it :P
Sony had Valkyria, MGS4, Wipeout, Heavy Rain, Journey, Bayonetta and some other things that interested me mildly. I got a PS3 mid-gen.