Building a gaming rig made console gaming almost null

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by aia89 (2259 posts) -

..but there's something to be said about a particular company, that is Nintendo, which can really give gamers something that cannot be found anywhere else. The uniqueness of gameplay and light hearted fun makes Nintendo games stand above all others in the fun department.

but here comes the question to you guys:

how important are exclusive games to you in the purchase of a system?

gaming_banner_professional_6box.jpg

#2 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
Wii: bought to play Twilight Princess with motion controls PS3: bought to play Valkyria Chronicles PSP: bought to play Valkyria Chronicles 2 360: bought to play Halo Yes. It's one of the only reasons why I buy any system. NDS is exception in that I just wanted a current-gen handheld gaming device. So was 3DS.
#3 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

As a PC gamer, I realised how important exclusives are to consoles. They are all I'm using my consoles for now, and I wouldn't say that PC gaming makes console gaming null as there are still excellent exclusives on consoles.

#4 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
Exclusives are always important if you plan to own more than one system.
#5 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -
Well they're the reason I bought all the consoles this gen. Ideally I'd like a single console that got everything. Just have consoles standardised like Cd/Dvd/Blu Ray players and let everyone make games for every console.
#6 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15918 posts) -

..but there's something to be said about a particular company, that is Nintendo, which can really give gamers something that cannot be found anywhere else. The uniqueness of gameplay and light hearted fun makes Nintendo games stand above all others in the fun department.

aia89

For me?

1. A few exclusive games are enough for me to justify purchase of a console. I only have a few games for my PS3 and I'm happy with it. Heck, I bought a 3DO a long time ago just for 3 games: Road Rash, Need for Speed, and Madden.

2. One genre (flight sims) is enough justification for me to assemble a PC with a relatively pricey video card although the use of GPU-processing (like CUDA and Stream) in non-game apps have given me other excuses.

All other reasons are gravy.

Edit:

I'd like to buy a 360 (as do my kid). If it was just me, I would've bought one already. But, the problem is the wife. She looked at the kid's stuff (PC, Wii and handhelds), my stuff (PC, PS3, and PSP) and decided we don't need another console.

#7 Posted by cloudff7tm (3975 posts) -

They're important. Its the reason I get all consoles, so I don't have to miss out on anything. Only thing I'm missing is a capable pc which sucks, but I have plenty of games to play still.

#8 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Well, PC pretty much already won next-gen.

However, consoles will still be worth returning to for the exclusives.

(except if they get emulated)

#9 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

Dolphin makes you Wii null.

#10 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

Well they're the reason I bought all the consoles this gen. Ideally I'd like a single console that got everything. Just have consoles standardised like Cd/Dvd/Blu Ray players and let everyone make games for every console.locopatho

The competition would be dead then. :|

#11 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
Exclusives are pretty much the only reason to play on consoles
#12 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
Agreed. And Nintendo does it best.
#13 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2685 posts) -

So is this thread about importance of exclusives, about building a gaming rig or about PC gaming making consoles irrelevant? :shock:

Anyway - excluisves are the reason I bought PS3 over cheaper 360 back in 2009.

#15 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
As a PC gamer, exclusives was all that matter when picking out which console to buy to go with the PC and that was a no contest easy as hell win for the PS3.
#16 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

aia89
No PC RIG would ever keep me away from console game. Exclusives are important for systems, as they differentiate themselves from the other systems. That's the main reason I own a PS3 and Wii along with the XBox 360. I pretty much buy nothing but exclusives for the PS3 and Wii and everything for the XBox 360.
#17 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

nameless12345
PC doesn't really have any generation, so there is nothing for them to win. PC's technology is constantly changing on a monthly basis. There is never a stagnant system with PC, so there is never a need for a next generation. PC hardware aren't in competition with consoles. The Wii was thing generation and the PS1 and PS2 won the last two generations. It's that simple.
#18 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

blackace

PC doesn't really have any generation, so there is nothing for them to win. PC's technology is constantly changing on a monthly basis. There is never a stagnant system with PC, so there is never a need for a next generation. PC hardware aren't in competition with consoles. The Wii was thing generation and the PS1 and PS2 won the last two generations. It's that simple.

That's not completely true.

PC does have generations but they usually happen when a new line of graphics cards, or a game that makes good usage of latest hardware, happen.

PC may not compete directly with the consoles but it does rise the expectations for consoles significantly.

#19 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10578 posts) -
A Nintendo platform will always be required in my gaming setup. PC + Wii U = :) Now the Playstation and Xbox, to me, are now just luxuries. I really don't need them in my setup UNLESS they bring something amazing into the picture. Exclusives are nice but if those exclusives are generic or similar in formula, I really don't care for them. I want exclusives that are not possible on another platform.
#20 Posted by RyviusARC (4309 posts) -

aia89

I can play Wii games on my PC using a Wii mote or Xbox 360 controller so it doesn't bother me there.

But I do get certain exclusives for the 360 and PS3.

Once the Wii U has been out for a year or so and has a good list of exclusives I will buy it.

#21 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

aia89

That's exactly the reason I own a Wii and a PC.

#22 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

That's not completely true.

PC does have generations but they usually happen when a new line of graphics cards, or a game that makes good usage of latest hardware, happen.

PC may not compete directly with the consoles but it does rise the expectations for consoles significantly.

I agree with that, I think PC has more sub-generations with occasional leaps in technology. Console generations start out great, then stagnate for awhile and leap ahead rapidly to try and at least match where PC is at.

#23 Posted by quebec946 (1314 posts) -

PCgameruk

#24 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

[QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

quebec946

#25 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
exclusives/ features. mean everything to someone who is only buying one. it's that think that stands apart from each other.
#26 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

'Meh'xclusives imo.

All that matters to me is where I'd rather play a game.

#27 Posted by VanDammFan (4230 posts) -

yes..exlusives are probably 100% why people buy a certain console. And are very important. It wont be long all games will be playable on streaming devices though...ie settop box..streamed right from your cable box ect...I look forward to that day..THEN people can just focus on the actual game and not all the junk surrounding the company.

#28 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Considering I always have a PC, exclusives are probably 90% of the decision.

#29 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

I'm only buying a console next gen if it has a strong showing of Japanese exclusives. If the Wii U picks up some good JRPGs along with the usual Nintendo heavy hitters then I'll probably get it.

#30 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -

As a PC gamer, I realised how important exclusives are to consoles. They are all I'm using my consoles for now, and I wouldn't say that PC gaming makes console gaming null as there are still excellent exclusives on consoles.

GamerwillzPS
This. The only reason I play on consoles now are because of exclusives. But multi plats the best choice is always PC.
#31 Posted by KungfuKitten (20858 posts) -

I need more than 15 exclusives that I like. Or at least 3 that I rilly rilly need.
Nintendo tends to have that. The others not so much.

Nintendo had Warioland, DKC, SMG, Zelda, Metroid trilogy (hadn't played 2), Zack, SSBB, Monster Hunter tri, Rhythm Paradise, best RE4 edition, etc.
Halo is good, Kameo or whatever grabbed my attention, and Forza a little. That is it in terms of 360 exclusives. So I use other peoples 360 to play it :P
Sony had Valkyria, MGS4, Wipeout, Heavy Rain, Journey, Bayonetta and some other things that interested me mildly. I got a PS3 mid-gen.