Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - a game everyone forgot

#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8376 posts) -

I thought it was a fantastic game for its time and there aren't games like that anymore - which is ironic considering the fact that the game was considered too "dumbed down" at the realize whereas now this kind of gameplay is "too sophisticated" to be even made in the first place.

I thought it had a fantastic pacing throughout the campaign, from regular tactical fare to moments of isolation which at times bordered on something surreal and almost paranormal. I thought the writing was also very good, not focusing on the war on macro-, but on micro-scale, thus tying us closely to squads which our protagonists were part of, and not about heroics of war, but how war changes and influences the character dynamics.

The only disappointing thing about the game was its finale, which felt a bit lacking and abrupt after several emotional crescendos before.

What do you think?

I like random reminiscing, I thought no one ever talked about this game on here beyond 2008, and I felt no one ever would, either.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (45120 posts) -

I prefer to the older MoH games. Front Line was the tits.

#3 Posted by speedfog (3048 posts) -

I agree the game was fantastic

#4 Edited by thehig1 (1414 posts) -

Brothers in arms was dam good I really liked it.

It didn't feel as generic as medal of honour or call of duty.

I liked the team work and the supressing fire.

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (39227 posts) -

I had a blast with it. Took me a long time to get to the game, considering I liked the previous ones so much.

I was pretty bummed out when they were gonna do an "Inglourious Bastards" kinda game, but that didn't go through. The games felt a lot lke Band of Brothers, and Band of Brothers is cool.

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (16916 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries:

Yeah dude, I really liked the BiA games on PS2 and this one. Loved the flanking and suppressing.

#7 Posted by uninspiredcup (7869 posts) -

A good game held back by console design.

#8 Posted by harry_james_pot (10598 posts) -

I miss the BIA games.. :(

#9 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3494 posts) -

It was great.

#10 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

It was okay. I mean I enjoyed playing through it and the other BiA games once; but I think they paled in comparison to classic CoD and MoH.

#11 Posted by 35cent (892 posts) -

I enjoyed it. My brother traded it in before I finished it and I didn't have the money to buy it back at the time. I might pop into a shop and buy it tomorrow. I would love another Brother in Arms game. It's the best WW2 shooter series in my opinion.

#12 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5800 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I prefer to the older MoH games. Front Line was the tits.

Yeah me too. They are awesome games. I loved Allied Assault.

#13 Posted by M8ingSeezun (1979 posts) -

@speedfog said:

I agree the game was fantastic

#14 Posted by blangenakker (2236 posts) -

Played a bit of it on the 360 but I don't like using a controller to play it. Might buy it for PC now that you reminded me of the game :P

#15 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2580 posts) -

Played a bit of it on the 360 but I don't like using a controller to play it. Might buy it for PC now that you reminded me of the game :P

Works really good on PC . I played both on Xbox 360 and PC . Playing with mouse and keyboard was more satisfying experience for me .

#16 Edited by jg4xchamp (47431 posts) -

It was disappointing compared to Road to Hill 30

#17 Posted by adders99 (2595 posts) -

Yeah it was a great game! I was waiting for another one but to no avail.