Brothers and The Swapper are 5$ on Steam - Which?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Hey, Just in case you missed the myriad opportunities to purchase these two Indies over the Winter Steam sale in December, they are around 5$ each... get going, I'll wait...

...My Question is, given that both games are vastly different, and generally well received, which game did you prefer and why?

I already own the Swapper, though haven't played it and ill have brothers when Sony releases the next batch of freebies on PSN+ , Which should I play first...?

EDIT!!! - The Swapper is $5.10

Brothers is $7.50 ...Still.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

brothers is a great game. you can play through it all in one go. it does a great job with story telling, i'll try keep this spoiler free but there are a few tear jerkers. not that i cried - it's not like i received a tax bill from inland revenue! you pretty much have to play it with a controller.

the swapper will keep you going a lot lot longer. i haven't finished it, but what i have played i really enjoyed. some great puzzles and you feel a sense of accomplishment when you figure them out. you pretty much have to play it with a mouse and keyboard.

they're such different games its hard to say which one is better. if you want a game you will finish go with brothers, if you want a puzzle game that might stump you from time to time go with the swapper.

but why do either of those things when you could play joe satriani's 'The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing' on the electric guitar which would be far more fun and entertaining for any man with big brass balls.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#3 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Hey, Just in case you missed the myriad opportunities to purchase these two Indies over the Winter Steam sale in December, they are around 5$ each... get going, I'll wait...

...My Question is, given that both games are vastly different, and generally well received, which game did you prefer and why?

I already own the Swapper, though haven't played it and ill have brothers when Sony releases the next batch of freebies on PSN+ , Which should I play first...?

like brothers best, its shorter and easy but have nice story

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Swapper. Don't think it over. Swapper.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Depends on what you want. Brothers is incredibly endearing and has some decent gameplay

Swapper is a really great puzzle game that will have you scratching your noggin a few times later on in the game

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Depends on what you want. Brothers is incredibly endearing and has some decent gameplay

Swapper is a really great puzzle game that will have you scratching your noggin a few times later on in the game

i don't do well with puzzles.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@Blabadon said:

Never again will a Blabadon post be more on point.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blabadon

@jg4xchamp said:
@Blabadon said:

Champ's a moron.

2 for 2.

Edit: For the average forum goer who may come across this and a particular other set of my other posts, I'm not always this much of a rude douche.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blabadon

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

At $5, it doesn't sound like you have much to lose and so much more to potentially gain though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

@Blabadon said:

I'm not always this much of a rude douche.

False

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Neither.

Go play all those games you bought on Steam, but have yet to ever play

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Brothers. Its only 3 hours long and even though the clumsy controls aren't that good they have a purpose and there are some amazing levels.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Both are good games and are cheap. Buy both, play both. In whatever order you feel like.

The Swapper has an unsettling and melancholic mood that distinguishes it from most everything I've played recently. The core puzzle mechanic itself is creepy. Perhaps cerebral too, I've only played it for like 30 minutes. Usually don't care too much for sidescrolling puzzlers for whatever reason. I'm more about that 3D son.

Brothers might be my GOTY. Designed with clarity and purpose, the gameplay and narrative integrates with one another in unique, exciting ways. Coupled with beautiful presentation, a fabley atmosphere, curious charm and a breezy pace, you'd be hard pressed to find many better games this year.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blabadon

@jg4xchamp said:

@Blabadon said:

I'm not always this much of a rude douche.

False

I have my moments.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator

@treedoor said:

Neither.

Go play all those games you bought on Steam, but have yet to ever play

truth.

@Blabadon said:

@jg4xchamp said:
@Blabadon said:

Champ's a moron.

2 for 2.

Edit: For the average forum goer who may come across this and a particular other set of my other posts, I'm not always this much of a rude douche.

Wow this has become more entertaining than I was expecting... Dem Indies(?)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Brothers is about to be free on PS+ which I believe you have access to, so that leaves The Swapper as your choice and you get access to both games that way.

Which to play first? I guess that depends on the genre.

Watch some trailers. IMO, some of these indie games I can do without after buying them and playing them for a few hours like Terraria, but others swear by them. Others love Swapper, some people find it okay. It all depends on your gaming roots, What's new to some has been done 1000x before to others.

I think you'll be fine with either title though, for sure.

I would just keep playing Rogue Legacy, Valdis Story, or FTL when I boot up steam...although I have had those for a very long time, save for Valdis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

Brothers. Its only 3 hours long and even though the clumsy controls aren't that good they have a purpose and there are some amazing levels.

The controls are real simple and elegant, it's players' brains that are clumsy. To me the odd controls provided a bit of challenge that's otherwise not prevalent, and in an unusual fashion. Didn't frustrate me, it's just strange and hard to get a handle on.

Oh, but do not bother if you don't have a controller. Don't know if it even works without one. Probably tells you on the store page maybe.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidTy said:

Brothers is about to be free on PS+ which I believe you have access to, so that leaves The Swapper as your choice and you get access to both games that way.

Watch some trailers. IMO, some of these indie games I can do without after buying them and playing them for a few hours like Terraria, but others swear by them. Others love Swapper, some people find it okay. It all depends on your gaming roots, What's new to some has been done 1000x before to others.

I would just keep playing Rogue Legacy, Valdis Story, or FTL when I boot up steam...although I have had those for a very long time, save for Valdis.

Just bought Valdis Story and have been burying myself in Rogue Legacy... Rogue may be the Tetris of platformers for me... Just..... One......... More........... ;)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Both are pretentious indie games. Postal 2 complete is about the same price, without the waffle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@uninspiredcup said:

Both are pretentious indie games. Postal 2 complete is about the same price, without the waffle.

Why do you hate great things?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp

The Swapper

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp said:

The Swapper

Installed... Now the real question is can I fight the urge to play Rogue Legacy? Speaking of, Any further opinions from the other night? I'm finding myself obsessed with grinding my stats... I never mind a good grind when it's based on picture perfect gameplay... but I do need to press on. The boss in the Underworld tripped me up pretty good for a while too.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp

Bosses are still dickish, but fun. The game feels wonderful, and it's crack if you don't force yourself to go do other things.

Lots of fun. It's like the worst game to be playing after Master Ninja Ninja Gaiden 2. The last thing I need is another game trying to piss me off after that. So I'll probably drop NG2 for awhile, because I got some ballin ass blue prints that I want to buy.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: it's crack if you don't force yourself to go do other things. " - Truth

I dropped an easy dime over two days of playing it last weekend and honestly, I coulda kept going... It's like the tetris of platformers. As difficult as it can be at times, I feel like theres always something to take away from each run... Be it money, conquering a deeper part of the castle or familiarizing yourself with a particular class a little more, the devs really nailed the carrot at the end of the stick gameplay in pretty much every aspect. Mix in razor sharp platforming, really great music and a little personality from the devs and I can easily say Rogue is one bad ass flag waving beacon of Indie awesome.

I should play through NG2 again... For some reason, when I bought it I remember feeling like I would be disappointed and I remember highly enjoying it.... Oddly enough, I had the same experience with Broken Sword too. THeres something indescribably bad ass about the entirety of Ninja Gaiden 2... That fuckin flying dragon boss is a whore of unquenchable thirst...

Buy the little woman her castle? I almost built a couple years ago... ended up not working out. That's a very exciting endeavor though... I remember walking the lot thinking, "holy shit this is gonna be awesome"

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i will be playing brothers once it hits the instant game collection this month on ps+, can't wait.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@SolidTy said:

Just bought Valdis Story and have been burying myself in Rogue Legacy... Rogue may be the Tetris of platformers for me... Just..... One......... More........... ;)

Yeah, I like rogue-likes too, although Rogue is easier than most imo. I got it a while back, but both of them have a Castlevania vibe I totally love, considering I own all the western-released Castlevanias it's the kind of 2D game that is right up my alley.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp: it's crack if you don't force yourself to go do other things. " - Truth

I dropped an easy dime over two days of playing it last weekend and honestly, I coulda kept going... It's like the tetris of platformers. As difficult as it can be at times, I feel like theres always something to take away from each run... Be it money, conquering a deeper part of the castle or familiarizing yourself with a particular class a little more, the devs really nailed the carrot at the end of the stick gameplay in pretty much every aspect. Mix in razor sharp platforming, really great music and a little personality from the devs and I can easily say Rogue is one bad ass flag waving beacon of Indie awesome.

I should play through NG2 again... For some reason, when I bought it I remember feeling like I would be disappointed and I remember highly enjoying it.... Oddly enough, I had the same experience with Broken Sword too. THeres something indescribably bad ass about the entirety of Ninja Gaiden 2... That fuckin flying dragon boss is a whore of unquenchable thirst...

Buy the little woman her castle? I almost built a couple years ago... ended up not working out. That's a very exciting endeavor though... I remember walking the lot thinking, "holy shit this is gonna be awesome"

Yeah man NG2s combat is badass as ****. Few games, nah **** that: No game makes the act of killing a mother fucker feel so good. It's just 100% bullshit on its higher difficulties. Fucking incendiary shuriken spamming assholes.

Rogue Legacy's thing is that feel, when something is kicking your ass, but you know you can quickly make up the money for one more thing, one more item, maybe just a little bit more damage, maybe another rune, maybe more health, whatever, or this time you'll just get a beast character combination and whip that boss fights ass and be totally fine. If you don't buy into that mindset pretty easy game to drop playing, the second you fall for it though, that's it hours of your life gone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah man NG2s combat is badass as ****. Few games, nah **** that: No game makes the act of killing a mother fucker feel so good. It's just 100% bullshit on its higher difficulties. Fucking incendiary shuriken spamming assholes.

You must be so happy GS allows the use of "****" now right? :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jg4xchamp

@seanmcloughlin said:

@jg4xchamp said:

You must be so happy GS allows the use of "****" now right? :P

Oh yeah, though I was still censoring it for a bit, but then I'm like wait, I can say **** in piece.

The image posting is annoying though. I miss the "[img]" stuff, for me I always have to exit the thread, then come back in, and then post the pic so it'll actually load.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

The Swapper,it´s the better game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator

@CrownKingArthur: haha... I wish I could play like satriani... I'm a hack compared to that guy... One of my college professors actually went to Berkley in Boston with Steve Vai and told me all you heard for 8-10 hours a day was scale after scale... That's an obsession.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Might take a crack a swappers. What exactly are they swapping though? lol.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidTy: If you have any recommendations let me know... I find castlevania/Rogue style platformers pretty much irresistible...

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I recommend both.

Brothers is extremely short (2.5-3 hours long), but one of the best indies I've ever played.

The swapper is a metroidvania with a creepy tone, cool dark art style, and complex puzzles.

I enjoyed them both personally. I've yet to beat the swapper though, I need to get back to it. Currently playing Starbound.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator

@Rage010101 said:

I recommend both.

Brothers is extremely short (2.5-3 hours long), but one of the best indies I've ever played.

The swapper is a metroidvania with a creepy tone, cool dark art style, and complex puzzles.

I enjoyed them both personally. I've yet to beat the swapper though, I need to get back to it. Currently playing Starbound.

whats your word on Starbound, Rage?

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rage010101

@TheEroica said:

@Rage010101 said:

I recommend both.

whats your word on Starbound, Rage?

If you love Terraria, you will like Starbound.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rage010101

@FoxbatAlpha said:

You literally swap yourself. The game is creepy in that you clone yourself and use your clones to solve puzzles. You can choose to permanently become one of the clones and dispose of all the other bodies at any time.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jg4xchamp

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Clones, you can create clones, and then become the clone itself. So a lot of the puzzle solving revolves around making clones(you can make up to 4, putting them in position, and swapping through them to get to an objective. It actually has a pretty neat narrative hook to it, but that aspect of the game is more cryptic, and partially lame depending on which ending you go with. At the least it actually earns its narrative high points. Brothers is more conceptually interesting than actually effective.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@jg4xchamp said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Clones, you can create clones, and then become the clone itself. So a lot of the puzzle solving revolves around making clones(you can make up to 4, putting them in position, and swapping through them to get to an objective. It actually has a pretty neat narrative hook to it, but that aspect of the game is more cryptic, and partially lame depending on which ending you go with. At the least it actually earns its narrative high points. Brothers is more conceptually interesting than actually effective.

Your very own Conga line! cha cha cha cha cha CHA!

@Rage010101 said:

You literally swap yourself. The game is creepy in that you clone yourself and use your clones to solve puzzles. You can choose to permanently become one of the clones and dispose of all the other bodies at any time.

Yeah it freaked me out when I realised I probably wasn't the same guy I started the game as and how many different versions of myself I went through

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

Brothers is appearing on PS+ this month so if you have a ps3 already mise will get the swapper

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46276 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

They are both puzzle games

@Naylord said:

Brothers is appearing on PS+ this month so if you have a ps3 already mise will get the swapper

Mice will get the swapper ?