Bravely Default Review Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (59726 posts) -

NINTENDO WORLD REPORT: 9.5/10

One thing that must be said about the title, is that the game looks and sounds great. The environments and characters have this uniquely drawn look to them, which makes them adorable to look at. There are moments when it all looks like a painting in motion. The 3D effect helps bring all of this to life, as it gives the dynamic camera angles and details more legs to stand upon. The music adds even more to the experience.

Bravely Default is a reminder of why the Nintendo 3DS was so strong this year. Various gameplay elements have never been this balanced before, and the story will keep you interested for many hours to come. The same goes for the presentation, which shows how lush and endearing games can truly be on the system. As a farewell to 2013, Nintendo of Europe couldn't have picked a better title. Not only because of quality, but also because it will last you for the remainder of December.

Summary

Pros

Brilliantly connected with StreetPass and online

Enjoyable Norende restoration sidequest

Lush and strong presentation

Plot that never stops being intriguing

Trifecta of interesting gameplay elements

Cons

Useless microtransactions

GOD IS A GEEK: 9/10

Bravely Default is also a pretty beefy game, with a ton of content and a lengthy narrative. With the difficulty options, you can make this game as easy or as hard as you want, which should please those who believe they don’t have time to play RPGs any more. I count myself as one of those people, and I haven’t been able to enjoy a game of this genre in years, until this one.

VERDICT: It’s a brave (geddit?) move on Square-Enix’s part to not stamp Bravely Default with a more popular title, because ironically, Bravely Default is one of the best Final Fantasies in years. Taking the very best of 8/16-bit entries of the series, and bringing them up to date with some beautiful graphics, clever features and engaging gameplay, this is a must for someone looking for a more traditional JRPG. On a system that has been lacking some meaty RPG action, this is a superb combination of old school gameplay with modern day additions that makes for an adventure you don’t want to miss.

EUROGAMER ITALY: 9/10

NTOWER: 10/10

I'll keep this thread updated, but guys, it looks like the 3DS might be securing its second AAAE in as many weeks.

#2 Edited by Blabadon (27694 posts) -

HOT TEARS OF JOY STREAMING DOWN MY FACE

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (59726 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

HOT TEARS STREAMING DOWN MY FACE

*HOT TEARS OF JOY

#4 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26761 posts) -

Proboly gets a 9 here. Though I personally still think the game is fugly as hell and not really interested in it.

#5 Posted by GreySeal9 (24910 posts) -

Awesome. Game looks dope. Love the art design.

Oh, and inb4 LoosingEnds.

#6 Posted by Seabas989 (10689 posts) -

Sounds like a solid rpg. Can't wait.

#7 Edited by Shirokishi_ (11204 posts) -

Had my eye on it for quite a while, this is reassuring.

#8 Posted by babycakin (1603 posts) -

Looks great, instant purchase.

#9 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

Eat shit Americans

#10 Edited by charizard1605 (59726 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Eat shit Americans

:(

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (41954 posts) -

The demo really sold me on the game.

Thank you for letting me turn off encounters!

#12 Posted by remiks00 (2172 posts) -

Great that it's getting such good reception, it always did look interesting to me. Will be picking this up once I purchase a 3ds in the future.

#13 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

9 more days !
I'm feeling teh hype.

#14 Posted by superbuuman (3065 posts) -

Release day buy for me...getting it before US...Oh YEAH!!! :)

#15 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22508 posts) -

So is Gs gonna review it on the EU release date or are we going to have to wait?

#16 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2773 posts) -

@3DS Handheld Gaming Console:

Dear Nintendo 3DS. **** you.

For years I have been wishing for grand JRPGs to my precious home consoles. Unfortunately you, a mere handheld with very weak graphical capabilities, keep hogging them all. Oh how many times have I not clicked threads that announce JRPG titles only to discover that they belong to you. Furiously have I left the thread and gone over to my window to brood. However, not this time. I've had enough of this. If this is what you want then fine, I'll do it. I'll ******* do it. Just you wait, this christmas, I'm gonna get you bitch.

#17 Posted by anab0lic (273 posts) -

Played the demo and I like it a lot, does many things right that I feel JRPG's in recent years have done wrong.

#18 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

@freedomfreak: I feel dirty for not knowing about this.

#19 Posted by Heil68 (46168 posts) -

#20 Edited by charizard1605 (59726 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

So is Gs gonna review it on the EU release date or are we going to have to wait?

Assuming they do it like Xenoblade, or The Last Story, or Pandora's Tower, at its EU release.

#21 Edited by Heil68 (46168 posts) -

So 2014 for NA? Is the demo out in NA yet?

#22 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (59726 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

So 2014 for NA? Is the demo out in NA yet?

Nope. And yeah, February 7, 2014

@SNIPER4321 said:

its a girly game where we play as faries.

Your idiocy continues to amaze on multiple levels

#25 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Man I am so glad I am buying the Zelda bundled 3DS XL this Thursday when I go do some Christmas shopping. So many good games for the system. Getting my girl Pokemon X (getting me Pokemon Y in a few weeks) and me Fire Emblem.

#26 Edited by finalstar2007 (25480 posts) -

This game coming out this year? boy i thought its coming next year but very good news! hopefully by arond June of next year the game will be 50% off so i can buy it.. im too busy this year with next gen and the tons of games for PS3 next year.

#27 Edited by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -
@SNIPER4321 said:

@Sweenix said:

Eat shit Americans

Would you prefer a game where you play as an American and shoot brown people?

#28 Edited by lundy86_4 (43891 posts) -

Sweet. Looks so dope. Can't wait for the NA release.

I suppose Zelda will keep me entertained for the next few weeks or so. Then I still have to wait months *cry*

#29 Posted by KungfuKitten (21285 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

Your idiocy continues to amaze on multiple levels

Wait, he sold me on this game...

#30 Posted by KungfuKitten (21285 posts) -

OK so is this like the first FF game done right since FF8/FF10?
I have seen literally no news or previews or anything on this game. Podcasts and shows aren't mentioning it. It almost went under my radar.

#31 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

Thanks for posting, I will put this game on my backlog.

#32 Posted by GreySeal9 (24910 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

@3DS Handheld Gaming Console:

Dear Nintendo 3DS. **** you.

For years I have been wishing for grand JRPGs to my precious home consoles. Unfortunately you, a mere handheld with very weak graphical capabilities, keep hogging them all. Oh how many times have I not clicked threads that announce JRPG titles only to discover that they belong to you. Furiously have I left the thread and gone over to my window to brood. However, not this time. I've had enough of this. If this is what you want then fine, I'll do it. I'll ******* do it. Just you wait, this christmas, I'm gonna get you bitch.

lol. This post made me laugh.

#33 Posted by babycakin (1603 posts) -

Man, why Europe gotta get it first! Wish 3DS was not region-locked

#34 Posted by AznbkdX (3268 posts) -

Dammit, why does EU have to get it so much earlier than us? :(