Brand New Zelda U Info

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Q: You showed the Zelda trailer and that's such a huge world. How is that going to be for you guys to approach as far as gameplay and story, because it's such a huge world.

With Zelda games, what we've always done is try to make them where you enter this big world of Hyrule and there's a lot to explore and discover, but because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world. Now, with the hardware capabilities of Wii U, we first started by saying if we can take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess, and make that the size of one of the areas in the game.

Q: Do you see that as a game where people will go to complete a certain mission and they end up doing fifty things along the way?

Yeah, there may even be times where you forget what your goal is, because you are doing other things on the side. There may be times where you go in to one big one long dungeon, or you're headed for a dungeon and doing other things on the side. What we're trying to do is design it in a way where you don't have to play it for a super long time, but more matched to today's lifestyle where you can think for a little bit, and say "maybe I just want to play for a little bit today and do this one thing." and get that thing done, then take a break.

SOURCE

So much for that 'empty' world, huh, guys?

Anyway, this sounds absolutely epic. Let me have it, Nintendo.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

What we're trying to do is design it in a way where you don't have to play it for a super long time, but more matched to today's lifestyle where you can think for a little bit, and say "maybe I just want to play for a little bit today and do this one thing." and get that thing done, then take a break.

Casual trash confirmed.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Sounds too good to be true, like the perfect game.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Sounds like The Elder Scrolls, only worse.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Sounds like a GOTY 2015/16 contender.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

i am a little worried about them saying they are designing it in a way for small amounts of play time, sounds very casual.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@smashed_pinata said:

i am a little worried about them saying they are designing it in a way for small amounts of play time, sounds very casual.

I think they mean you can do small things in the open world and feel like you accomplished something. Which implies the exact opposite of an open world that's empty and funnels you from mission marker A to mission marker B. So it'll be like Skyrim in that regard: you can play for five minutes, do something small like discover a new area or get a new item, and feel like you made progress. So they're striving to allow players to make the most of their playtime.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@smashed_pinata said:

I think they mean you can do small things in the open world and feel like you accomplished something. Which implies the exact opposite of an open world that's empty and funnels you from mission marker A to mission marker B. So it'll be like Skyrim in that regard: you can play for five minutes, do something small like discover a new area or get a new item, and feel like you made progress. So they're striving to allow players to make the most of their playtime.

well that sounds just fine actually. I do have faith in Ninty to create a stellar game, although i did not care for Skyward sword.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

So not an empty, shallow world after all :D

Ah well, haters'll find something new to bitch about. Shame their "machismo" won't allow them to play possibly one of the best games this generation; it's their loss.

I, on the other hand, am so ready for this!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000

I bet the game gives you a journal to pick quests from with waypoints and everything.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

heh, we'll see. Not really a fan of open world games but I love Zelda.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Sounds like A Link to the Past, only far more grand.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I want hidden dungeons. I don't care that much about side quest and things like that, I just want some damn secret dungeons that you don't have to complete, but just stumble upon. That was one of the biggest buzzkills of Wind Waker was finding out that basically all of that side stuff you were doing was just stuff you ended up having to do anyways, like the ghost ship. The Ghost ship should have been completely optional and it should have been a full fledged dungeon, not the boring crap it ended up being.

And just because I can do the swamp temple before the fire temple, or the water temple before the forest temple doesn't mean crap to me, It doesn't matter what order I do it in, it doesn't make it feel anymore adventurous to me, what would basically make this the greatest game of all time to me is if it had the standard zelda structure (whether or not the dungeons or in a strict order or not doesn't matter) and then have hidden dungeons and mini dungeons on the way. That is what would make a world worth exploring to me.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000

The "whatever order you want" thing would be pretty cool if all of the items you get are weapons and the game progresses sort of like Mega Man. I thought Link Between Worlds would have been better without it, but it can be done right.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

iJustine. Why did it HAVE to be her?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Zelda hype always makes it seem like it will be the best Zelda game ever.

meh. I'll play this one too

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

If these "other things on the side" consist of just running around collecting rupees, then who gives a shit?

What's the news here?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Sounds meh

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

Ah well, haters'll find something new to bitch about. Shame their "machismo" won't allow them to play possibly one of the best games this generation; it's their loss.

I was among those that were worried about a relatively empty world. Still am actually. I'm not a hater, Zelda is one of my favorite series and this is my 2nd most anticipated game at the moment.

Sure, the latest presentation was terribly executed and looked more like a tech demo than anything else. I know we can't judge the game based on that, but the fact is, they did show us nothing but a barren world.

Also, it's nothing against Nintendo at all, as a matter of fact I have more faith in them than most other devs to pull off an interesting open world. That said, most open world games are either somewhat empty, or full of repetitive shit.

At this point all we can do is wait and see.

Furthermore, nothing about the OP changes anything lol. Obviously there were going to be things to do on the side, as a matter of fact, they pretty much described every Zelda game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Q: You showed the Zelda trailer and that's such a huge world. How is that going to be for you guys to approach as far as gameplay and story, because it's such a huge world.

With Zelda games, what we've always done is try to make them where you enter this big world of Hyrule and there's a lot to explore and discover, but because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world. Now, with the hardware capabilities of Wii U, we first started by saying if we can take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess, and make that the size of one of the areas in the game.

Q: Do you see that as a game where people will go to complete a certain mission and they end up doing fifty things along the way?

Yeah, there may even be times where you forget what your goal is, because you are doing other things on the side. There may be times where you go in to one big one long dungeon, or you're headed for a dungeon and doing other things on the side. What we're trying to do is design it in a way where you don't have to play it for a super long time, but more matched to today's lifestyle where you can think for a little bit, and say "maybe I just want to play for a little bit today and do this one thing." and get that thing done, then take a break.

SOURCE

Right, because we all know that Nintendo is always to be taken at their word as history has shown time and time again.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Yeah...I'm going to need to see that dense open world gameplay for myself. I don't have as much faith in Nintendo as some.

Those "other things on the side" could be stupid. So far all I've seen is an empty boring world. Talk isn't going to change my mind, let's see some video.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@ianhh6 said:

I was among those that were worried about a relatively empty world. Still am actually. I'm not a hater, Zelda is one of my favorite series and this is my 2nd most anticipated game at the moment.

Sure, the latest presentation was terribly executed and looked more like a tech demo than anything else. I know we can't judge the game based on that, but the fact is, they did show us nothing but a barren world.

Also, it's nothing against Nintendo at all, as a matter of fact I have more faith in them than most other devs to pull off an interesting open world. That said, most open world games are either somewhat empty, or full of repetitive shit.

At this point all we can do is wait and see.

Furthermore, nothing about the OP changes anything lol. Obviously there were going to be things to do on the side, as a matter of fact, they pretty much described every Zelda game.

Actually I think it changes quite a bit, we were all a bit worried about the world being empty, but what this seems to say is that, like someone already mentioned, you can make progress with very little (a la Elder Scrolls)... aside from going about getting collectables, I dunno if any Zelda game has ever had anything particularly deep to do on the side, so I'm hoping this is different.

Besides my point wasn't about those who are simply cautious or skeptical, rather for those that will bash it no matter what comes out because, after all, trix Nintendo games are for kids :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

wow. I'm so amazed that Nintendo has come around to last gen with their open world gameplay

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Sounds like my perfect game, a blend of Zelda gameplay and Elder Scrolls world.

@charizard1605 said:

because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world. Now, with the hardware capabilities of Wii U, we first started by saying if we can take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess, and make that the size of one of the areas in the game.

Lol. Remember the entire 7th generation the Wii gamers were parroting that utter bullshit about hardware power not mattering and only affecting graphics and that the gameplay was totally fine?

Glad to see that emphatically rejected by Nintendo themselves. I mean it's logically obvious but fanboys need to be told by the folks they worship. Better hardware = better games ;)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@locopatho said:

@charizard1605 said:

because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world. Now, with the hardware capabilities of Wii U, we first started by saying if we can take an entire world the size of the world from Twilight Princess, and make that the size of one of the areas in the game.

Lol. Remember the entire 7th generation the Wii gamers were parroting that utter bullshit about hardware power not mattering and only affecting graphics and that the gameplay was totally fine?

Glad to see that emphatically rejected by Nintendo themselves. I mean it's logically obvious but fanboys need to be told by the folks they worship. Better hardware = better games ;)

It's not like the Wii couldn't run Morrowind. This has more to do with game design than hardware.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I'm all for it. Hope the world is exciting to explore.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@charizard1605 said:

It's not like the Wii couldn't run Morrowind. This has more to do with game design than hardware.

Nintendo themselves just flat out said "because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world."

You don't believe them?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Uh, Twilight Princess had a tiny world, you could go across it in literally less than 5 minutes. I hope it's bigger than that.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PurpleMan5000

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@charizard1605 said:

Nintendo themselves just flat out said "because of the hardware limitations, what we've had to do is segment off each area and piece those segments together in a way that make them feel like a big world."

You don't believe them?

It is clearly a combination of hardware and developer limitations. You have physical proof of Morrowind running on the Xbox. That tells me that a large, full world was possible on the Wii. Frankly, Morrowind is the only game in the entire TES series that I didn't hate, and I don't like it as much as a typical Zelda game. I can't blame Nintendo for going the more linear route with segmented areas, because that makes for a better game.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

You don't believe them?

That tells me that a large, full world was possible on the Wii.

Nintendo themselves just said that it wasn't. So.... yeah.

And open world > linear Zelda ;)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

You don't believe them?

That tells me that a large, full world was possible on the Wii.

Nintendo themselves just said that it wasn't. So.... yeah.

And open world > linear Zelda ;)

Maybe. We haven't played an open world Zelda in 3D, and the 2D games are barely even the same genre as the 3D games are. I will say that linear Zelda is a whole lot better than other open world 3D games. I actually fell asleep once playing Skyrim, controller in hand. I woke up at 3 AM, and there was Skyrim on the tv. Haven't played it since.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I want it now. Give me the damn game, Nintendo!

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Nothing in that text indicates that the world will be full of life. Just because you can pick flowers on your way to a dungeon doesn't mean the world is not "empty".

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Making a successful open world is a fine balance and there is no guarantee that Nintendo have aced it.

I have enjoyed zelda in the past but Skyward Sword was behind the times, supremely overrated and were it called Chipmunks Sky Adventure people wouldn't have cared about it.

But the reason I am reluctant to believe Nintendo at this stage is that they seem to have an aversion when it comes to progress in Zelda. I was amazed when they'd announced they were going open world as I had often said this would have been the natural progression of the series and they had failed on that score before. Skyloft was completely useless. Nothing to explore, nothing to discover. But they are almost certainly going to stick with a formula with this which will limit the open world experience.

A number of set dungeons, pick up a special tool to progress, boss in each one, move on. One town, may as well not be there. I don't see why they have never made the adventure more free. There should be multiple towns, with multiple characters telling different stories. There should be countless undiscovered places there for you to stumble upon. Customisation. Speech as well.

They have the groundwork for a good game. It uses the inferior technology well, I like the style from what I have seen. Make the world brimming with life and discovery and they might make the best zelda for a long time.But this is virgin territory for Nintendo, and people shouldn't be counting any chickens at this stage.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PurpleMan5000

They should be using all of this extra space to make hidden dungeons that are a whole lot more challenging than the "main" dungeons, with really cool rewards. It's probably going to end up being Elder Scrolls light, with boring quests like getting rats out of somebody's basement and rupees as a reward, and most of this board will eat that up and declare it the best Zelda ever.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@locopatho: yes the wii couldnt handle open worlds, thats why xenoblade was so linear oh wait a second

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Meh. Stop the presses, Nintendo talks up their game. That's never led to disappointment before...

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Elder scrolls lame edition.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"A single area the size of Twilight Princess"

HHHHHNNNNNNGGGGG

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I knew there was going to be more to it than what was shown in the small amount of gameplay provided. They obviously skipped around in the video. Big time. It kept the video from being too long and showing things we're not supposed to see yet. This entry already looks much better than Skyward Sword. I hope they get it out next year.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Maybe. We haven't played an open world Zelda in 3D, and the 2D games are barely even the same genre as the 3D games are.

No, but Windwaker was kinda sorta an illusion of what it'd be like. And it was AMAZING.

The 2D games are basically identical to the 3D, Ocarina of Time is just Link To The Past in 3D, complete with the exact same dungeons, items, structure, pacing, and Good/Bad World mechanic, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from :) Unless you mean Skyward Sword and it's motion controls, that's a good deal different.

@Shinobishyguy said:

@locopatho: yes the wii couldnt handle open worlds, thats why xenoblade was so linear oh wait a second

Xenoblade is a great game but has an empty ass JRPG world. So what. Even PS2 had Dragon Quest 8. Big open fields with nothing to do aren't impressive. Gimme some actual shit to do, interactivity, and I'll be impressed.

It's fucking hilarious that Nintendo themselves said "We couldn't do open worlds on our weak hardware" and you dispute it. I think they know their own hardware dude :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@charizard1605 said:

What we're trying to do is design it in a way where you don't have to play it for a super long time, but more matched to today's lifestyle where you can think for a little bit, and say "maybe I just want to play for a little bit today and do this one thing." and get that thing done, then take a break.

Casual trash confirmed.

I hope not but it sounds like it ....

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#45 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Sounds fantastic. An open-world can mean a lot of things, but I believe it should serve a purpose other than just being a larger space to play in. It should serve to showcase the grand scale of the journey ahead. This should be huge.

Though I don't think this series has had too many issues being grand in scale. I'm really looking forward to this Zelda like most others.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@locopatho: Wind Waker was awful (as a zelda game and I wasn't really impressed by it as a game in general). I'm very worried about this game trying to have a big overworld, I like Zelda for the puzzles and level design, not to ride around wasting time getting from place to place. You want to make me explore your giant world, then you better fill it with things I want to find. Something Wind Waker did not do.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locopatho

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@locopatho: Wind Waker was awful (as a zelda game and I wasn't really impressed by it as a game in general). I'm very worried about this game trying to have a big overworld, I like Zelda for the puzzles and level design, not to ride around wasting time getting from place to place. You want to make me explore your giant world, then you better fill it with things I want to find. Something Wind Waker did not do.

Unfortunate. Windwaker was fucking glorious for me (and most people. Game Of The Year here and 96 on Metacritic, higher than the Last Of Us, many people's Game Of The 7th Gen)

Zelda dungeons are great but the series needs to evolve to add more than that. They can't just keep following the SNES/N64 formula.

I agree they need to fill their open world with content, and I hope you enjoy the new one more than Windwaker.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

The hope is that Zelda U will combine the best elements of Zelda with the best elements of games like Elder Scrolls. Too oversimplify a bit: Elder Scrolls gives lip service to the gameplay to focus on the incredible world building, while Zelda gives lip service to the world building to focus on the gameplay.

Nintendo has a strong philosophical belief in making sure games get the gameplay right. I have no doubt that Nintendo's influence over games like Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness is what made those games great instead of merely good or decent. I would love to see Nintendo's take on what a giant open world should be like, because the Nintendo I know would look at a game like Oblivion as largely a failure.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Unless we're talking about Majora's Mask level of openness and stuff to do, I have little interest in this game.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
@JangoWuzHere said:

Unless we're talking about Majora's Mask level of openness and stuff to do, I have little interest in this game.

It'll have the same amount of stuff...in a bigger world. I have a feeling the world will be more lifeless than anything before it.