Boy What Is Ken Kutargri Thinking About These Days NowThat Sony Is Cutting BC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18829 Posts

How can sony go from Full BC to 80% BC to No BC even for PS1 games? One of the Biggest advantage The PS2 had over N64 was the ability to play PS1 games. Nobody didnt think DVD was important at the time. The PS2 DVD was huge but i think most ppl would want PS1 BC over DVD movie playback(dont mention DVD was eventually needed later in the PS2 cycle). I think SOny lost more potential customers then adding more. SOny announced 130 titles comming to PS2, how huge that would of been if able to play on ps2 and PS3. Thats more of a win win situation in my book. I'll stop here for now(bbs)

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

Er... 40gigs play PS1 games!

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts
sigh, you do know all SKU's have 100% BC with ps1. or else that would be dumb selling them on PSN
beatzfreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 beatzfreak69
Member since 2006 • 416 Posts
Maybe they figure they'll sell more PS2s that way.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Also, I'm sure everyone is buying the 40gigs so it's probably not that profitable for them to bother with the 80gigs model.
CB4McGusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CB4McGusto
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

What's left to play on ps2, or psone for that matter?

ROMs, emulators?

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts

ROMs, emulators?

CB4McGusto

Persona 4 being released this Winter on the PS2. That game alone has made me refuse to buy a PS3 without BC capability.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

How can sony go from Full BC to 80% BC to No BC even for PS1 games? One of the Biggest advantage The PS2 had over N64 was the ability to play PS1 games. Nobody didnt think DVD was important at the time. The PS2 DVD was huge but i think most ppl would want PS1 BC over DVD movie playback(dont mention DVD was eventually needed later in the PS2 cycle). I think SOny lost more potential customers then adding more. SOny announced 130 titles comming to PS2, how huge that would of been if able to play on ps2 and PS3. Thats more of a win win situation in my book. I'll stop here for now(bbs)

PSP107

Any and all PS3's play PSOne games, and also, the 80 gig is 89.5% BC with PS2 games, not 80%. You shaved off way too much there, young man.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

SolidTy

Any and all PS3's play PSOne games, and also, the 80 gig is 89.5% BC with PS2 games, not 80%. You shaved off way too much there, young man.

Secondly, Dille said the new 80GB will have the "exact same functionality as the 40GB model," and will essentially be the same console with a larger hard drive. That means that once the current 80GB PS3s sell out, no new Sony consoles will have backwards compatibility with PS2 and PSone games.

What that means?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidTy
[QUOTE="CB4McGusto"]

ROMs, emulators?

glitchgeeman

Persona 4 being released this Winter on the PS2. That game alone has made me refuse to buy a PS3 without BC capability.

Diagnosis : Memory loss

As a Nintendo fan, I'm surprised you NEVER thought of this....Buy a PS3 AND KEEP YOUR PS2.

Pretty novel, huh? You did it with the NES to SNES.

The SNES to N64.

The N64 to the GC.

Sure, the Wii finally stepped up on BC with thw Wii, but don't forget what you USED To do.

Having a PS2 around while you have a PS3 also isn't a bad idea...

Or just buy a USED 20/60/80gig that have the PS2 BC.

There you go, problem solved.

Sincerely,

Dr. Solid Ty

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="PSP107"]

PSP107

Secondly, Dille said the new 80GB will have the "exact same functionality as the 40GB model," and will essentially be the same console with a larger hard drive. That means that once the current 80GB PS3s sell out, no new Sony consoles will have backwards compatibility with PS2 and PSone games.

What that means?

They are absolutely wrong about PSOne games. This was written by someone obviously not doing there research, as the 40gig plays PSOne games.

There you go.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
I guess they want to focus more on PS3 games and you playing them. So they decided BC wasn't that important...
glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
[QUOTE="glitchgeeman"][QUOTE="CB4McGusto"]

ROMs, emulators?

SolidTy

As a Nintendo fan, I'm surprised you NEVER thought of this....Buy a PS3 AND KEEP YOUR PS2.

The SNES to N64.

The N64 to the GC.

Sure, the Wii finally stepped up on BC with thw Wii, but don't forget what you USED To do.

Sincerely,

Dr. Solid Ty

Funny, you really think I didn't think of that already. My PS2 is pretty much on its deathbed, it makes these unnatural clicking and whirring noises whenever I turn it on, and it definitely won't last much longer. So what would I do? Buy a another PS2, and also a PS3? Talk about a waste of money.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

If they have so many PS2's out there why does it really need Backwards Compatibility?

They have over 100 million PS2s sold.

The backwards compatability thing would only be a problem IF Sony had stopped selling PS2s in my opinion.

Plus, honestly, what family (with minimal to no video game knowledge) is gonna go out and buy the $400 console(PS3) when the $130 (PS2) is cheaper and has a wider variety of family games.

By the time that the same family gets the Playstation 3, they will probably be bored with those games, and there won't be anymore PS2 games for sale probably anyways.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

ROMs, emulators?

CB4McGusto

maybe some of us are catching up on games we missed when they were new, or are still playing some of these games...

And Some of us don't like roms

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BuryMe
If they have so many PS2's out there why does it really need Backwards Compatibility?verbtex
for the convenience of not having to switch consoles when you want to play a ps1 or 2 game
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 munu9

[QUOTE="verbtex"] If they have so many PS2's out there why does it really need Backwards Compatibility?BuryMe
for the convenience of not having to switch consoles when you want to play a ps1 or 2 game

Well you have to switch discs anyway so is it really that inconvenient to switch consoles? (Though it really doesn't matter to me because I have a Feb 07 60GB PS3 :D )

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="glitchgeeman"][QUOTE="CB4McGusto"]

ROMs, emulators?

glitchgeeman

The SNES to N64.

The N64 to the GC.

Sincerely,

Dr. Solid Ty

Funny, you really think I didn't think of that already. My PS2 is pretty much on its deathbed, it makes these unnatural clicking and whirring noises whenever I turn it on, and it definitely won't last much longer. So what would I do? Buy a another PS2, and also a PS3? Talk about a waste of money.

Thats my concern to, most ppl had thier current PS2 for a while. My Big PS2 is fine for now but my bro slim PS2 and other PS2 are flawed. It seem games dont work on it but they work okay on my big PS2 .

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BuryMe

[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="verbtex"] If they have so many PS2's out there why does it really need Backwards Compatibility?munu9

Well you have to switch discs anyway so is it really that inconvenient to switch consoles? (Though it really doesn't matter to me because I have a Feb 07 60GB PS3 :D )

30 seconds switching a dis is nothing compared to the time it takes to disconnect 1 console and connect the other
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy

ROMs, emulators?

glitchgeeman

The SNES to N64.

The N64 to the GC.

Sincerely,

Dr. Solid Ty

You are in a more unique situation, so I would recommend my second option above. Buy a used PS3 20/60/80gig. It may be your only hope.

Sorry to hear about "Old Yeller", she was faithful to the end.

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts
[QUOTE="glitchgeeman"][QUOTE="CB4McGusto"]

ROMs, emulators?

SolidTy

The SNES to N64.

The N64 to the GC.

Sincerely,

Dr. Solid Ty

Diagnosis: What the hell?

They should just do what MS does and do software BC. The reason SNES wasn't BC was because of cartridges. Now that we've moved on there should be no excuse not to have BC, or some form of BC.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 munu9
[QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="verbtex"] If they have so many PS2's out there why does it really need Backwards Compatibility?BuryMe

30 seconds switching a dis is nothing compared to the time it takes to disconnect 1 console and connect the other

I could connect both my PS3 and PS2 to my TV, I'd just have to turn on my PS2 and switch to the TV to the PS2 connection. If you have an HDTV, you should most likely be bale to do that, too... (and most people with an SDTV could do that, too)

Hitman533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hitman533
Member since 2008 • 642 Posts

lol people running out of ideas to bash Sony who buys a next gen console to play last gen games anyways? thats dumb. Threads like these are pathetic.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BuryMe
[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="verbtex"] If they have so many PS2's out there why does it really need Backwards Compatibility?munu9

I could connect both my PS3 and PS2 to my TV, I'd just have to turn on my PS2 and switch to the TV to the PS2 connection. If you have an HDTV, you should most likely be bale to do that, too... (and most people with an SDTV could do that, too)

I have very limited space, and even with a switch box, i can't keep many systems connected at once.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy

ROMs, emulators?

AHUGECAT

The SNES to N64.

The N64 to the GC.

Sincerely,

Dr. Solid Ty

Diagnosis: What the hell?

They should just do what MS does and do software BC. The reason SNES wasn't BC was because of cartridges. Now that we've moved on there should be no excuse not to have BC, or some form of BC.

First of all, I don't need a history lesson of the "Why's". We all know why.

Second of all, the CONSUMER doesn't need to know the "Why's" either. A product either does it or not.

Third of all, I agree, Sony SHOULD do that, but agreeing with you doesn't solve HIS DILEMMA.

Fourth of all, I was helping him out, showing him that HE USED to do something, so it is possible.

Fifth of all, I like to have "Fifth of alls", they make it seem like I have 5 points.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

SolidTy

the new one is 0% bc, and aussies dont even get the 80 at the moment, we only get the 40gb. I think it freaking sucks, i want to replace my ps2 with a ps3 and be able to playa ll games, but i cant. im gona have to leave my ps2 on the tv.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts

lol people running out of ideas to bash Sony who buys a next gen console to play last gen games anyways? thats dumb. Threads like these are pathetic.

Hitman533
You pathetic. Every selling point of a consoel can swing a consumer either way. For me, its definetly BC, i still play all my FF games, im currently playing FF12. Without BC i dont want a ps3
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

i thought sony offically stated that cutting BC doesn't save hardly any money at all. They are doing it because they want more software sales for the PS3. either way the PS2 slimline is crazy slim. That console takes up hardly any space at all. Just get a PS2 slimline and get a PS3.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107

i thought sony offically stated that cutting BC doesn't save hardly any money at all. They are doing it because they want more software sales for the PS3. either way the PS2 slimline is crazy slim. That console takes up hardly any space at all. Just get a PS2 slimline and get a PS3.

littlestreakier

Thats Stupid.