Bought a Vita, what should I be playing? #TeamOLED

• 108 results
#1 Posted by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

Managed to snag a cheeky OLED bundle from Amazon in more of a strategic impulse buy in fear of not being able to buy one up at all as Sony is slowly but surely phasing them out for good for the newer Slim 2000 model.

Knew two things, the memory cards and that OLED panel are worth their weight in gold so went for the Disney bundle as it had a 16GB card instead of an 8(but had better games). Not worried though I have like 30 games waiting for me on PS+.

Vitaspot, school me in the ways and what should I be playing etc?

#2 Posted by bbkkristian (14953 posts) -

Persona 4 Golden.

#3 Posted by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

I think you just stole Charizard's chance to comment there. But cool, noted.

#4 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11354 posts) -

Grab up everything on PS+ . Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout are all leaving the IGC next week. As for others games, depends what genres you're into.

#5 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -

It was probably dumb to really worry about the OLED model. Vita screen is nice, but the 2.5 hour battery life is horrible. Unless the new screen was a horrible downgrade, which it doesn't sound like it is, then any battery improvement seems like it would trump the screen.

#6 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17667 posts) -

Why Gawd Why.

#7 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3577 posts) -

You play games?

#8 Posted by D4RKL1NG (236 posts) -

Hotline Miami rocks on the Vita,check it out

#9 Posted by donalbane (16347 posts) -

I personally think Killzone Mercenaries is the finest portable FPS ever made, regardless of your previous association with the series. In particular, I love the repayable challenges... namely the Stealth modes... you can do on subsequent play-through. I didn't care fore AC Liberation, so I'd stay clear of that one. Also, MGS2 and 3 are great, but old. Try the Teraway demo... it's not my thing, but I see why people love it. Makes great use of the hardware.

#10 Posted by Heil68 (44631 posts) -

Everything on PSN+ since it comes with subscription and Persona 4 Golden

#11 Edited by lostrib (37031 posts) -

This is system wars, we don't talk about actually playing games

#12 Posted by Blabadon (26353 posts) -

What genre are you looking at? I'd like to think of myself as someone who's quote knowledgeable with the Vita and its library.

#13 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

Spelunky, spelunky, spelunky.

Terraria is free PS+ download as of like, today. Make sure you just go through the PSN store and purchase all the free stuff. You can download them at your leisure.

#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71840 posts) -

So far i've like Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed, FFX, Persona 4 and Dragons Crown

#15 Posted by darkspineslayer (19705 posts) -

A lot of games, particularly smaller titles, have included cross buy for awhile. You might have games you didn't know you had. Sly 4 is a good one to try if you haven't already.

#16 Posted by GamingTitan (547 posts) -

Muramasa! It's gorgeous~

#17 Posted by lostrib (37031 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

A lot of games, particularly smaller titles, have included cross buy for awhile. You might have games you didn't know you had. Sly 4 is a good one to try if you haven't already.

It's also on PS+ this month. Although they don't do cross buy for some games like FFX which seems stupid

#18 Edited by iwasgood2u (807 posts) -

dragon crown FTW. Muramasa does look good though that will be my next game

#19 Edited by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

If this actually posts, I'll do replies a bit later, Gamespot is doing that thing again where when you load a page the layout is all fucked for some reason. The main message board is fine but this thread is horrendously borked.

#20 Posted by Blabadon (26353 posts) -

@misterpmedia: It's fine for me

#21 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5975 posts) -

Gravity Rush, I think its free if you have PS+.

#22 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25699 posts) -

Get Tearaway unless you're some sort of soulless demon.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (57734 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

And just for that, you've been modded.

But seriously, Persona 4 Golden. Single handedly justifies the purchase.

#24 Edited by lostrib (37031 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

But why?

#25 Edited by charizard1605 (57734 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

But why?

I can't sell you on the game, no one can. You gotta play it yourself, and then you understand.

#26 Posted by lostrib (37031 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

But why?

I can't sell you on the game, no one can. You gotta play it yourself, and then you understand.

This sounds like a cult

#27 Posted by charizard1605 (57734 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

But why?

This sounds like a cult

It is a cult.

#28 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2415 posts) -

buy toukiden! it puts MH to shame.

#29 Posted by Blabadon (26353 posts) -

@lostrib: It's like an interactive, Japanese episode of Scooby Doo, arguably done better with even more charisma. Char's right, no one can truly sell you on it until you play it, but it's an awesome game.

#30 Posted by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

is anyone else experiencing the fucked up layout? lol I've tried gamespot on two different browsers and it looks the same. o.O

#31 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6521 posts) -

I would say persona 4, Dragons Crown and Tearaway.

Also persona 3 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are well worth a visit abeith technically PSP titles?

The MGS bundle is well worth it.

#32 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7157 posts) -

Bought a Vita then asks if there is anything to play.

Answer: you should be playing Xbox One.

#33 Edited by darkspineslayer (19705 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: But he wants to play something with games.

#34 Edited by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@lostrib: It's like an interactive, Japanese episode of Scooby Doo, arguably done better with even more charisma. Char's right, no one can truly sell you on it until you play it, but it's an awesome game.

Not arguably.

Persona 4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(repeat infinitely)Scooby Doo.

Anyway, TC, if you haven't played FFX or don't plan to get it on PS3, I couldn't recommend it enough. It probably has the most beautiful aesthetics in a JRPG after Chrono Cross.

#35 Edited by Blabadon (26353 posts) -

@GreySeal9: Eh, nostalgia is a cruel mistress for some.

I'm playing FFX on Vita and picked up the PS3 copy from my library to test out Cross Save. So far, the feature works great; the game has noticeably aged.

#36 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7157 posts) -

@darkspineslayer: he is the dumb muh fukr seeking advice. I'm giving it.

You? I have no idea WTF you are doing. You into indies these days? *rolls eyes*

#37 Posted by darkspineslayer (19705 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: I'm not sure what that was, but it wasn't English. Cohesive statements plz.

I would be pretty beardmad too if my console of choice only had an HD remake to look forward to.

#38 Edited by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@GreySeal9: Eh, nostalgia is a cruel mistress for some.

I'm playing FFX on Vita and picked up the PS3 copy from my library to test out Cross Save. So far, the feature works great; the game has noticeably aged.

I only agree partially. The voice acting has not aged all that well (and it's a shame that they didn't fix the awkward lip-synching in the HD version), but even replaying it on PS2 last year I felt that the game a whole has aged quite gracefully. I mean, yeah the graphics are kind of rough at certain spots but dat art design. And the gameplay, IMO, aged as well as a turn-based system can be expected to.

#39 Edited by osan0 (12727 posts) -

im currently playing ys memories of celceta on it. good ol kicking the crap out of enemies and lots of exploring. bit like diablo but with more story and less of a focus on looting and levelling. still a heavy combat focus though.

if you like little big planet then, as far as im concerned, the series is home on the vita.

killzone mercenary is also pretty good.

if you havent played rayman origins or legends yet then they are great on the vita.

tearaway, gravity rush, and wipeout are all great. i have a soft spot for golf games on handhelds also and everybodys golf plays a good game.

WRC4 is also a guilty pleasure of mine.

#40 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7855 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Persona 4 Golden.

But why?

Don't listen to Charizard. He's just spreading Person 4 Propaganda . :D

#41 Edited by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

finally gamespot loads properly again. Weird...

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Grab up everything on PS+ . Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout are all leaving the IGC next week. As for others games, depends what genres you're into.

don't worry those were long snagged. I don't think I have Wipeout though as I'm EU, but I've been flagging all the ones that come into PS+ now for a while so at least they're tied to my account for use when ever I please I bought the PS3 version of All Stars so that's another game I can play off the bat when i hook my vita to my PS3(vita version comes on disc I think).

@2Chalupas said:

It was probably dumb to really worry about the OLED model. Vita screen is nice, but the 2.5 hour battery life is horrible. Unless the new screen was a horrible downgrade, which it doesn't sound like it is, then any battery improvement seems like it would trump the screen.

you're probably right but I've heard such good things about the screen and most seem to prefer the older model just for that and deal with the rest of the other problems. I'm aware that the new model basically improves everything but the screen so I think I just thought I may as well experience the OLED one, and if it breaks accept that I'll probably get an LCD replacement. At least I'd have had some time with the OLED :P

@princessgomez92 said:

You play games?

Someone has to

@D4RKL1NG said:

Hotline Miami rocks on the Vita,check it out

Noted!

@donalbane said:

I personally think Killzone Mercenaries is the finest portable FPS ever made, regardless of your previous association with the series. In particular, I love the repayable challenges... namely the Stealth modes... you can do on subsequent play-through. I didn't care fore AC Liberation, so I'd stay clear of that one. Also, MGS2 and 3 are great, but old. Try the Teraway demo... it's not my thing, but I see why people love it. Makes great use of the hardware.

planning to get Tearaway and KZ: Merc at retail probably later iin the year, or if I see them on sale at like super markets or something. those are the only ones I really want at retail. Yeah Liberation got released on PS3 anyway so was planning on ignoring it anyway.

@Maddie_Larkin said:

I would say persona 4, Dragons Crown and Tearaway.

Also persona 3 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are well worth a visit abeith technically PSP titles?

The MGS bundle is well worth it.

If I buy the PS3 version of dragons crown is it cross buy by any chance?

@FoxbatAlpha said:

lol <3

#42 Posted by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:

Don't agree with this at all.

I would take the better screen over the increased battery life. If I'm playing it while commuting on the bus or something, 2.5 hours is more than enough and if I'm playing it at home, I'd have it plugged in anyway.

#43 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7157 posts) -

@darkspineslayer: I'm only messing wit you fin ginger.

#44 Posted by Indicud (739 posts) -

Toukiden

#45 Posted by Blabadon (26353 posts) -

@GreySeal9: the voice acting is legitimately terrible, but the music is delightful in every regard. It's splendid.

#46 Posted by GreySeal9 (24357 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@GreySeal9: the voice acting is legitimately terrible, but the music is delightful in every regard. It's splendid.

Yeah, the music is easily the best thing about the game. It's one of the OSTs that I'll actually listen to alongside non-video game music.

#47 Posted by _Matt_ (8911 posts) -

Hotline Miami is amazing on Vita

#48 Posted by donalbane (16347 posts) -

Also, spring for a 32gb card... with all the games on PSN+, that thing will pay for itself in 2-3 months, and you'll definitely appreciate the increased number of games it can hold.

#49 Edited by Netret0120 (2160 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Eeeeeeewwwwww. That's gross.

#50 Posted by lostrib (37031 posts) -

@donalbane said:

Also, spring for a 32gb card... with all the games on PSN+, that thing will pay for itself in 2-3 months, and you'll definitely appreciate the increased number of games it can hold.

god, proprietary memory cards were the worst idea ever. A 32GB Vita memory card is like 70-80 dollars. A 32GB class 10 micro sd is like 20 bucks