Borderlands vs. Fallout 3

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

Ok, so ive been playing Fallout 3 since it came out, and i thought it was ok. Never really enjoyed it like i did oblivion, but it was great in its own way. So here comes borderlands, and i keep hearing about how its just like Falllout 3, but with more action, which excites me. So i thought id ask my fellow system warriors, which do you think is the better game and why. What did you enjoy about each?

Fallout 3

er

Borderlands

br

What say you? :P

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
People who say Fallout 3 and Borderlands are similar, have not played both games. Also... I fully enjoyed both games. But I wish there was more story in Borderlands.
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

Fallout 3 is a much better game. Borderlands is great in its own regards though. With borderlands there are a ton of gun, great coop, and its just fun. The cons are that it has almost no story, the story that is there is weak. It was said to be open world, but its really just a bunch of large level connected by checkpoints, you cant seamlessly traverse the enviroments like oblivion or fallout, so that was a little dissapointing. The missions are also weak, they are basically just there to get you to shoot more guys. So its a fun game, but much better with coop. So i buy it if you have some friends to play with, if not just rent it. Fallout 3 is a much better game.

CODnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CODnut
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts
There is no comparison, Fallout 3 is a much more , deep, vast, complex RPG shooter that redefines gaming itself. Borderlands is a cel shaded shooter with minor RPG attributes...nothing more.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
They're not all that alike. Fallout 3 is a post apocalyptic RPG, with an element or two from shooters. Borderlands is an alien world FPS with some RPG elements. To put it in perspective, skill is what wins the day in Borderlands. Strategy is what wins the day in Fallout 3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Can't really compare the two. But I prefer Borderlands. Co op fun.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I prefer bordeerlands by far Fallout 3 is good, but I had much more fun with borderlands, which is weird as I prefer RPG's to shooters, and Fallout3 was more RPG with shooter aspects, and Borderlands was more shooter with RPG elements :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Skill? Nah. RPG's you can just grind to godlike levels even with crap weapons.

Borderlands is crap story, great multiplayer.

Fallout 3 is neat story, setting, but kinda of bland.

They are both good though, Borderlands value goes up with friends to play with.

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts
Fallout for the single experience Borderlands for the multiplayer experience really just as easy as that....
Microdevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Microdevine
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts

I enjoyed Fallout 3 in everyway more, than Borderlands with the exception of the shooting. It was a little wonky on F3. But certainly acceptable.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Borderlands is only fun on multiplayer...single player is boring.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

They are not similar what so ever. FallOut 3 is an action-RPG while Borderlands is a FPS with RPG elements. But I prefer FallOut 3 since I just get bored playing the game after 12 hours.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts
So i guess everyone would agree that i should just rent Borderlands since im not really an online player? :P
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Borderlands.
mynameisdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mynameisdumb
Member since 2003 • 3647 Posts
Fallout 3 is a slow paced individual RPG, and Borderlands is a MUCH faster paced experience that is really only great if you play it with other people. They are VERY different games, with the only similarity being RPG elements and a wasteland setting. That being said... Fallout 3 is a better game. However, I enjoyed Borderlands about a billion trillion times more. To me Fallout 3 is like an artsy movie that is thought-provoking but only mildly entertaining, yet wins academy awards. Borderlands is like a big, goofy comedy or action movie in the vein of The Hangover or Ironman, movies that are not necessarily as "good" by traditional standards, but are much more fun. Of course that's just me.
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Both are good games. Though if you want more mileage excluding expansions, then Fallout 3.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Fallout 3 is a slow paced individual RPG, and Borderlands is a MUCH faster paced experience that is really only great if you play it with other people. They are VERY different games, with the only similarity being RPG elements and a wasteland setting. That being said... Fallout 3 is a better game. However, I enjoyed Borderlands about a billion trillion times more. To me Fallout 3 is like an artsy movie that is thought-provoking but only mildly entertaining, yet wins academy awards. Borderlands is like a big, goofy comedy or action movie in the vein of The Hangover or Ironman, movies that are not necessarily as "good" by traditional standards, but are much more fun. Of course that's just me.mynameisdumb

I can honestly say that I agree with you in every single possible way someone can agree with another person.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Skill? Nah. RPG's you can just grind to godlike levels even with crap weapons.

Borderlands is crap story, great multiplayer.

Fallout 3 is neat story, setting, but kinda of bland.

They are both good though, Borderlands value goes up with friends to play with.

SolidTy
Yup, Borderlands is like crack when you have good friends to play with.
mynameisdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mynameisdumb
Member since 2003 • 3647 Posts

[QUOTE="mynameisdumb"]Fallout 3 is a slow paced individual RPG, and Borderlands is a MUCH faster paced experience that is really only great if you play it with other people. They are VERY different games, with the only similarity being RPG elements and a wasteland setting. That being said... Fallout 3 is a better game. However, I enjoyed Borderlands about a billion trillion times more. To me Fallout 3 is like an artsy movie that is thought-provoking but only mildly entertaining, yet wins academy awards. Borderlands is like a big, goofy comedy or action movie in the vein of The Hangover or Ironman, movies that are not necessarily as "good" by traditional standards, but are much more fun. Of course that's just me.dragonfly110

I can honestly say that I agree with you in every single possible way someone can agree with another person.

Haha well thank you then. It's nice to get the most positive possible response possible. :P
Vyylent5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vyylent5
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

Fallout 3 is leaps and bounds ahead of Borderlands.

The only thing that borderlands has over FO3 is the art style.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I don't really consider borderlands an RPG... it has rpg elements but mostly it's a shooter. I really don't see anything it has in common w/ Fallout 3 either. I guess borderlands has a post apocolyptic feel to it, but it's still nothing like Fallout.

About the only thing I think Borderlands has on Fallout is multiplayer.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I never understood why the two of them are compared so often (what little RPG elements Borderlands possesses are much more comparable to Diablo than Fallout) but I'd have to go with Fallout 3, just because you don't have to deal with so many freaking Skags :evil:

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Fallout 3 is a slow paced individual RPG, and Borderlands is a MUCH faster paced experience that is really only great if you play it with other people. They are VERY different games, with the only similarity being RPG elements and a wasteland setting. That being said... Fallout 3 is a better game. However, I enjoyed Borderlands about a billion trillion times more. To me Fallout 3 is like an artsy movie that is thought-provoking but only mildly entertaining, yet wins academy awards. Borderlands is like a big, goofy comedy or action movie in the vein of The Hangover or Ironman, movies that are not necessarily as "good" by traditional standards, but are much more fun. Of course that's just me.mynameisdumb

I don't agree with this at all. The game isn't really deep whatsoever, it's a pretty mindless RPG honestly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

they are nowhere near similar in any game mechanics (perhaps the fps perspective, but thats about all).

FO3 is an exploration rpg, its great for that (altho slightly copy/paste feel untill you come to the dlc packs). A great game in its own right, and while I still prefer the fallouts of old I do not hesitate to call it a darn good game.

Borderlands is a shooter... sure you do have certain stats that control sway of your gun, and overall dmg... But it is a shooter, built to be humorous, fun and co-op.

It is sort of an FPS/Lootwh*ring game and the skills you unluck pretty much just alters weapons, and ammoloadouts (and the one special skill each class has).

But it is an amazing game if you like Co-OP shooters, it is dumb fun, and the game knows it itself and runs with it ^^ A cool artstyle, good sound, fun guns to use, and always hunting for better ones is really fun...

But no they are not similar at all... if anything I would say Borderlands has a great deal in common with Diablo, with townhubs to buy/sell items, and get missions, and the great wild outside, guns blazing, wisecracking, and bad attitude ^^

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

fun game vs boring glitchy monotony

hmm tough choice

borderlands

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I spent a ridiculous amount of time with both games and liked them both so don't feel the need to compare them.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

They're not all that alike. Fallout 3 is a post apocalyptic RPG, with an element or two from shooters. Borderlands is an alien world FPS with some RPG elements. To put it in perspective, skill is what wins the day in Borderlands. Strategy is what wins the day in Fallout 3.Skittles_McGee

It seems like the only reaso why these two are being compared is because they noth look like there set in a bright dessert apocolyptic wasteland which there I havn't seen many new games on this scenario.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
i really enjoy both of them, they are very similar yet very unique to eachother
sasapac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sasapac
Member since 2008 • 1056 Posts

i palyed both games and i found borderlands more enjoyable

Racer850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Racer850
Member since 2009 • 2293 Posts
Fallout 3 frustrated me, so i pick Borderlands.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Borderlands is very sloppy in the story and the maps are all cut and paste just about. There are a few good ones with neat things to do. But it's just not enough.

You can beat Borderlands when your 30-35 ish. Sure they let you start it all over again to get to 50 and get way better items. But it get old quick.

Fallout is alright too. Oblivin with guns set into the future. It's slower pace then Borderlands.

I'd say there about equal on the fun level.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Fallout 3 by a long shot, why? A keyword: Mission structure

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Fallout 3 is quite possibly the best game of this generation in my opinion. I havent played Borderlands yet, but from what I hear... doesnt sound like it could compare to Fallout 3.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

The story in F3 was rubbish. I had way more fun with Borderlands

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
The co-op in borderlands in borderlands made it better for me.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Two totally conceptually different kind of games which I've enjoyed in their own ways. Even though Borderlands seemed more stream-lined and instantly enjoyable, I'd take Fallout 3 over Borderlands without a doubt, but it's not like there is a big gap between them for me. It's a matter of 9.5 > 9.0.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

Fallout 3 is leaps and bounds ahead of Borderlands.

The only thing that borderlands has over FO3 is the art style.

Vyylent5
+1
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I spent a ridiculous amount of time with both games and liked them both so don't feel the need to compare them.

heretrix

Yeah, same here. My Fallout 3 playthrough clocked at about 150 hours on the timer. How about you?

Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts

Borderlands has such a bland story, world and characters and the missions are so repetitive, it's one of the most boring games I've played this gen even in co-op. Fallout 3 is 100000000000000x better.

darthvader1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darthvader1993
Member since 2005 • 914 Posts

"Poisonally"

I prefer that Borderlands screenshot, nice view.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Salt_The_Fries

Yeah, same here. My Fallout 3 playthrough clocked at about 150 hours on the timer. How about you?

I spent over 170 hours on the 360 version and then clocked well over 300 on the PC.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#43 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
There is no comparison, Fallout 3 is a much more , deep, vast, complex RPG shooter that redefines gaming itself. Borderlands is a cel shaded shooter with minor RPG attributes...nothing more.CODnut
Redefines? Did you not play Morrowind or Oblivion? You can not compare these games. Borderlands isn't even post apocolyptic.
Both are good games. Though if you want more mileage excluding expansions, then Fallout 3.SpiritOfFire117
No, don't get Fallout 3 without Broken Steel. It would be wisest to get the GOTY Edition.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
got both,Borderlands is great.They cannot be compared though BL=FPS F3=RPG Fallouts beginning was EPIC though,but after you turn 19,it gets really boring...IMO
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Lol? Are you actually comparing these 2 games? Fallout 3 is way better than borderlands.

thirdykal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thirdykal
Member since 2009 • 302 Posts

No comparison for me. Borderlands is a blast to play split-screen, and the gunplay is satisfying with the explosion and electricity attributes. Fallout 3 just gave me a headache everytime I tried to play it, so I never got to enjoy it. In general though, I do prefer FPS to RPG, so Borderlands was the better combo mix for me.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Fallout 3. A much more engaging, and more atmospheric experience than Borderlands. Borderlands is basically just a good game to play with friends.
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Fallout 3 is better in every way = except artstyle IMO. I like it a lot more and I've spent more time on it than any other game this gen. But Mass Effect kicks both their asses :P
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

I spent over 170 hours on the 360 version and then clocked well over 300 on the PC.

Woah that's a lot :shock: I have about 200 hours on the PS3 version and that's it. I've done all the side quests and unmarked quests, but I still haven't reached level 20 since I have multiple playthroughs.
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I like Borderlands better. I didn't get bored of it as quickly as I did with Fallout 3.