Borderlands 2 gets a surprising 7/10 on Vita

#1 Edited by Blabadon (27216 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/borderlands-2-review/1900-6415786/

"Audio and video in Borderlands 2 seem to push the limits of what the Vita can handle, but the system merely strains and does not break (though the game did crash once or twice in my dozen or so hours with it). The Vita version also comes with two of the sizable downloadable mission packs, two extra playable characters, and an assortment of bonus goodies. And you can take advantage of the cross-save capability if you own Borderlands 2 on the PlayStation 3. The result is an impressive package that delivers exciting combat, hilarious dialogue, entertaining quests, and delightful rewards."

Surprisingly positive for the game. I find it a 6/10 or so kind of experience; on one hand, this is a fun, swift RPG on the go that has its fun moments and is easily playable for most of its campaign, yet runs constantly at around 15-25 FPS, enough to wonder why you bought it.

Its main reason to stay on my memory card is the fantastic Cross Save functionality. I never used it before, but being able to kill a few baddies on the go, hog the TV, transfer that file over, and then cooperatively kill more and then transfer that file back is an awesome experience.

So what says you System Wars on Borderlands 2' decently positive Vita review?

#2 Posted by bbkkristian (14963 posts) -

This game is seriously a technical nightmare. As a person who has studied hardware and computers, this game puts the original to shame. This game runs barely at 30 FPS, that's freaking terrible for being a FPS, which are about precision and skill.

I'm sorry, but this game should have never come to vita. The hardware is just too weak to handle this game. I don't recommend this game to anyone unless they are diehard borderlands fans or they find it for less than $10.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (58972 posts) -

Vita goes out with a bang, I see.

#4 Posted by Newhopes (4601 posts) -

Who cares played the game 2 and half years ago.

#5 Posted by lostrib (39221 posts) -

Doesn't really interest me

#6 Posted by Ghost120x (3984 posts) -

I was surprised by how good it looks. I was expecting a major graphics downgrade but it's pretty much in tact. Only thing they could have done better is performance, if they could have got it locked at 30 fps it would have been great.

I strongly recommend the game as it has a ton of content to keep you busy.

#7 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (3106 posts) -

My game kept crashing so I just deleted it.

#8 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

I got it with my slim because there weren't any slims that had other games bundled with them. Game is shit. Do not buy.

#9 Edited by SolidGame_basic (18418 posts) -

It's alright.. that's pretty much it, just alright. I played it on PC recently just to see how big of a difference it is and its huge. Pretty big downgrade.

#11 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

It's lagging as fuck, I can't play this. Seriously, I wouldn't mind even PS1 graphics on the Vita, but they should at least do something for the lag.

#12 Posted by BIOKILLER123 (578 posts) -

I heard they were supposed to release a patch to improve the performance in the near future. If true, this game should never have been released in this state and probably should not have been released in the first place.

#13 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14030 posts) -

Game seems like a laggy mess. That would frustrate the hell out of me.

#14 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9344 posts) -

I think BL2 is a game everyone would like to love in a pocket form and that's why reviewers have been lenient so far.

#15 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5369 posts) -
@Gaming-Planet said:

Game seems like a laggy mess. That would frustrate the hell out of me.

You guys are full of shyte!!! Seriously! I have put 30+ hours into this on the vita and my son has put in 10+ Both of us have had flawless time with this. We even play mutliplayer. I haven't seen framerate problems or lag or what not. It plays great except in Sanctuary and it's still serviceable. I had 1 crash issue...1 time it froze once...big deal.

Did you people even play the game? It's fantastic on the vita. Hell I like playing it on the vita more than the ps3. Its digital crack you can play in the bathroom....haha....

This and Soul Sacrifice Delta are my most played games recently... beating out any console or pc games.

#16 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5369 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

I got it with my slim because there weren't any slims that had other games bundled with them. Game is shit. Do not buy.

Its not shit... Its a great game on vita and worth anyone's time who like rpgs. The frame rate is fine, it completly playable. The hive mind has listened to IGNorant's crappy biased reviewer who down ranks any game that doesn't play consistantly at 30fps. Its a handheld game and shouldn't be compared 100#% to the console version. If you do your a moron... as the vita is a handheld not the damn ps3 with a cell processor and 7800gpu...wtf!

#17 Posted by santoron (7792 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Game seems like a laggy mess. That would frustrate the hell out of me.

You guys are full of shyte!!! Seriously! I have put 30+ hours into this on the vita and my son has put in 10+ Both of us have had flawless time with this. We even play mutliplayer. I haven't seen framerate problems or lag or what not. It plays great except in Sanctuary and it's still serviceable. I had 1 crash issue...1 time it froze once...big deal.

Did you people even play the game? It's fantastic on the vita. Hell I like playing it on the vita more than the ps3. Its digital crack you can play in the bathroom....haha....

This and Soul Sacrifice Delta are my most played games recently... beating out any console or pc games.

Some people are more sensitive to lag or low frame rates than others. My wife, for example, swears she sees no difference between 30 and 60 fps. Drives me nuts, lol.

Anyhow, I don't doubt that you and your son are enjoying the game. A lot of people are right there with you. But the technical issues with the game are widely reported, so they aren't being made up. No worries as long as you enjoy it though.

And grats on Soul Sacrifice. It's a game I want somewhere down the line.

#18 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@inb4uall said:

I got it with my slim because there weren't any slims that had other games bundled with them. Game is shit. Do not buy.

Its not shit... Its a great game on vita and worth anyone's time who like rpgs. The frame rate is fine, it completly playable. The hive mind has listened to IGNorant's crappy biased reviewer who down ranks any game that doesn't play consistantly at 30fps. Its a handheld game and shouldn't be compared 100#% to the console version. If you do your a moron... as the vita is a handheld not the damn ps3 with a cell processor and 7800gpu...wtf!

Yes. The game is shit. That's my opinion. I have already deleted it from my memory card.

#19 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

I expected much lower, and considering this is a big, high-profile release for the Vita, it's downright exhausting to see the system flub it up.

#20 Edited by coasterguy65 (6080 posts) -

I've heard the game sucks to play on the Vita. The people that I know that bought the new Vita and received BL2 with it say the mechanics suck, and it lags a lot. Personally I've not played it because I already have BL2 on the 360, PS3, and the PC. Not interested in getting it for yet another system.

#21 Edited by Blabadon (27216 posts) -

@Midnightshade29: That's an outright lie. I play Borderlands 2 near daily on Vita and it's not running at a smooth frame rate at all 90% of the time.

#22 Posted by lostrib (39221 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@inb4uall said:

I got it with my slim because there weren't any slims that had other games bundled with them. Game is shit. Do not buy.

Its not shit... Its a great game on vita and worth anyone's time who like rpgs. The frame rate is fine, it completly playable. The hive mind has listened to IGNorant's crappy biased reviewer who down ranks any game that doesn't play consistantly at 30fps. Its a handheld game and shouldn't be compared 100#% to the console version. If you do your a moron... as the vita is a handheld not the damn ps3 with a cell processor and 7800gpu...wtf!

Well done

#23 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

Unless I see for like $10, I'm not touching it. Sony should have funded a spin-off built from the ground up on Vita.

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (41471 posts) -

What a waste.

#25 Posted by Seabas989 (10557 posts) -

meh.

#26 Posted by GamingTitan (560 posts) -

It came bundled with my vita. It's not bad, I didn't notice any problems. Seemed to run just fine although I couldn't really get into it.

#27 Posted by GreySeal9 (24859 posts) -

@Midnightshade29

Can you be any more annoying in this thread?