Bohemia gives update on arrested employees

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 0

#1 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Czech developer Bohemia Interactive has just released a statement regarding their two employees who were arrested for alleged 'spying' on Lemnos, Greece:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/company/330-update-lemnos-arrests

tl;dr version:
- The employees were there on holiday, not to shoot footage for Arma 3.
- They were arrested because some hangars were visible in the distance on video footage they shot in a public place.
- The Lemnos featured in Arma 3 will not be an exact copy of the real island, but features fictionalised elements to create a situation as it could be in 2035, so it should pose no security threat.

If this is true, these guys probably were the unfortunate victims of overly suspicious Greek authorities.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

This must suck for them. You'd at least think that if the video contained little-to-no footage of the actual hangars, that it would be passed off as not being for research purposes. After all, they are making a military sim. You'd think something more in-depth than

"Oh, those hangars in the back were the ones we were researching."

"Great video guys. I can't see jack sh*t!"

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The Greek military go mental over this kind of thing...I think they're hiding UFO's

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

If I ever go to Greece, I will never take pictures or video of any kind lest some jeep be in one pixel of the video and they arrest me for spying. Seems like a really dumb and flimsy reason to arrest two guys on vacation because it seems to me they were in a public place and a hangar just happened to get on video off the distance.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

Well even though this is probably a misunderstanding, If I were Bohemia, I would have said the same thing. I mean the last thing you're supposed to say as a secret agent is, "Damn, you got me, and yes I am a spy!"

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Glad it is this way and not them just taking blatant pics of places. This makes it very very likely that they will be cautioned and everything will go back to normal. I was worried something would halt Arma III but I'm glad it won't now.

Greece government seems very touchy if this is what really happened

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I want to know why the government even searched through their cameras in the first place and I'd also like to know why they are being so tough on something like this when you can probably just go on google earth and get more detail.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
Greece has to get money somehow :D! Pretty amusing story, but ofc not so fun for the guys.
AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
I read the thread title as "bohemia gives up on arrested employees" :lol: For a second I though it was a case of "They're done for, forget them and move on!" :P
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The media did a terrible job with this, I'm glad to see everything went better than expectations.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

F*ck Greece. First they cause the downfall of europe, lose a lot of jobs in their own country...now they arrest honest people trying to make a living.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Um, they must've been doing something rather suspicious to get noticed in the first place. Everyone takes photos when they're on holiday.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Um, they must've been doing something rather suspicious to get noticed in the first place. Everyone takes photos when they're on holiday.RR360DD

I agree and its a bit of a coincidence that they where only there for a holiday in the very place their new game takes place in. My thought is that they may have been recording/taking pictures of things that they shouldnt have been for references to use in the game, while pretending to be just tourists on holiday. They probably made themselves look suspicious in doing so.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#15 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

F*ck Greece. First they cause the downfall of europe

DrTrafalgarLaw

lol no