Blu-Ray = Asset to PS3....Not Liability???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Atleast I've always thought of it as a liability to the success of the PS3, giving the PS3 a higher price tag and making it sell less units than it would had it originally not included it.  However, this article seems kinda interesting from an analyst ( I know analyst who care) but he actually brings up a valid point perhaps that I really had not contemplated on yet.

Wedbush Morgan Securities has issued a report on the video game industry for 2007 and beyond. Huge growth is expected, and analyst Michael Pachter believes the PS3 will ultimately win (just barely) thanks to the Blu-ray format, which he expects to defeat HD DVD.

Blu-Ray and PS3

I'm not sure if it has been posted (maybe?) But I'll post it for all that haven't read.  It's just interesting.

P.S.  I see now that Gamespot has the article on their front page also.

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts
I could easily see PS3 coming out on top once it's had a significant price drop, but I don't think Sony (or cows, for that matter) should bust out the champagne just yet.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

"These estimates do not include market shares in Japan, which we expect to be dominated by Nintendo (51% through 2011) and Sony (44%)."

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

I could easily see PS3 coming out on top once it's had a significant price drop, but I don't think Sony (or cows, for that matter) should bust out the champagne just yet.D0013ER

Blu-ray already won. Which means Sony Wins.

Which Ultimately means PS3 wins.

Blu-ray becomes cheaper and more widespread.

PS3 price drop within Mid-Late 2008.

MGS4.

Win 

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MikeE21286
I'm just really trying to bring up a point about how Blu-Ray could help out the PS3 instead of hurting it like most people believe.  And also the fact that it would be what 36% Sony 34% Nintendo and 30% Microsoft in the USA would offset the 7% difference in Japan between Sony and Nintendo (which would mean the results would still be the same in all likelihood because 2% in America is > 7% in Japan)
D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 D0013ER

[QUOTE="D0013ER"]I could easily see PS3 coming out on top once it's had a significant price drop, but I don't think Sony (or cows, for that matter) should bust out the champagne just yet.SpecialForcesOp

MGS4.

Win

You have just got to tell me where you got that bangin' crystal ball...

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

I could easily see PS3 coming out on top once it's had a significant price drop, but I don't think Sony (or cows, for that matter) should bust out the champagne just yet.D0013ER

Truth. Nintendo can bust out the champagne just for selling as well as they have up to this point, but the real "war" won't be over for years.

Anyway regardless of BD as a movie format, which I won't fully embrace now because I'm still backlisting VHS' to DVD, I think it is well worth it in terms of a gaming medium. I just see BD movie functionality as a bonus. When I heard "50 GB" would be used for games, it was over. I knew I was getting one. 

Bullets4Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bullets4Brains
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

There won't be a price drop until Sony can get costs down, another year maybe. They're already losing lots of money on each console So in the next twelve months,  PS3 is not selling, is losing massive ground in Japan to Nintendo, and has no big games besides a dragon sim to challenge Halo 3.

It's **** or bust for Sony, and they're losing.

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts
[QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

[QUOTE="D0013ER"]I could easily see PS3 coming out on top once it's had a significant price drop, but I don't think Sony (or cows, for that matter) should bust out the champagne just yet.D0013ER

MGS4.

Win

Where else? They make the best Crystal Balls there.  

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 D0013ER

SpecialForcesOp

Where else? They make the best Crystal Balls there.

NICE...

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Atleast I've always thought of it as a liability to the success of the PS3, giving the PS3 a higher price tag and making it sell less units than it would had it originally not included it. However, this article seems kinda interesting from an analyst ( I know analyst who care) but he actually brings up a valid point perhaps that I really had not contemplated on yet.

Wedbush Morgan Securities has issued a report on the video game industry for 2007 and beyond. Huge growth is expected, and analyst Michael Pachter believes the PS3 will ultimately win (just barely) thanks to the Blu-ray format, which he expects to defeat HD DVD.

Blu-Ray and PS3

I'm not sure if it has been posted (maybe?) But I'll post it for all that haven't read. It's just interesting.

P.S. I see now that Gamespot has the article on their front page also.

MikeE21286

The only people that thought that having a next-gen media player built into the Playstation 3 was a bad thing were the jealous Xbox fanboys that got saddled with a last-gen DVD drive in their 360s.

Everyone else just used their head. 

-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts
Blu-Ray as of right now is a liability since its the reason for the PS3 costing so much and bringing down sales but I believe it will soon become a Asset since it will win the format war and will increase the PS3 in sales, which an Asset is something that makes you money and it will.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

I'm just really trying to bring up a point about how Blu-Ray could help out the PS3 instead of hurting it like lost of people believe. And also the fact that it would be what 36% Sony 34% Nintendo and 30% Microsoft in the USA would offset the 7% difference in Japan between Sony and Nintendo (which would mean the results would still be the same in all likelihood because 2% in America is > 7% in Japan)MikeE21286

maybe not.  i don't see the ps3 selling 78.7million.

also as history has shown us, japan goes for one system WAY more than any other. his 7% difference in japan is a bold statement. in addition we have the DS sales which would indicated that the Japanese market doesn't also have to be less significant than the US. 

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MikeE21286

[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]I'm just really trying to bring up a point about how Blu-Ray could help out the PS3 instead of hurting it like lost of people believe. And also the fact that it would be what 36% Sony 34% Nintendo and 30% Microsoft in the USA would offset the 7% difference in Japan between Sony and Nintendo (which would mean the results would still be the same in all likelihood because 2% in America is > 7% in Japan)Ontain

maybe not.  i don't see the ps3 selling 78.7million.

also as history has shown us, japan goes for one system WAY more than any other. his 7% difference in japan is a bold statement. in addition we have the DS sales which would indicated that the Japanese market doesn't also have to be less significant than the US. 

OH yeah I mean I'm not trying to analyze his predictions.  But I was just saying that 2% of the American Market constitutes for a larger amount of people than 7% of the Japanese Market (and you obviously understood that's what I meant).  Only time will tell based on how many consoles are sold in each respective market