blu-ray.com reviews: Blu-ray on Xbox One and PS4.

  • 53 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

PS4 Conclusion

The PlayStation 4 console may represent a leap forward in gaming technology, but it's merely a basic Blu-ray playback device, and one that lacks several now-common features at that. At launch, at least, the player feels severely limited considering the lack of 3D disc playback; the absence of a true remote control; and a fairly limited user interface, settings cluster, and display information bar. The console does output picture and sound that's a match for the PlayStation 3, which is certainly critical in its success as a playback device. Still, it's just not ready for primetime as a primary Blu-ray playback unit, particularly considering its slow chapter skip performance and numerous playback and unexpected quit glitches. Frankly, using the PS4 as a Blu-ray playback device has proven to be an exercise in frustration given three system freezes and the audio glitch necessitating another round of disc sampling to ensure it was an isolated incident. Fortunately none of the other discs seemed prone, and the freezes also seemed random. The PlayStation 4 is certainly a worthwhile investment for the avid gamer, but for those either hoping for improved and expanded Blu-ray playback capabilities, it's currently not worth the upgrade. In fact, it's smart to stay rather far away for the time being. Considering the price, expanded features, greater stability, and comparable, if not equal, playback quality, the PlayStation 3 remains the superior gaming/Blu-ray playback hybrid machine. Here's hoping Microsoft's next-gen machine, which has been marketed as more of a "media hub" and less a pure gaming device, fares better out-of-the-box as a Blu-ray player. Watch for a review in the coming days.

Posted November 21, FULL ARTICLE HERE

Xbox One Conclusion

The Xbox One's Blu-ray player certainly isn't one for the home theater enthusiast. Picture is solid and sound is excellent, but it lacks precise tuning adjustments. Such audiences will want a dedicated player in their rack. However, the Xbox One just may be the perfect family room Blu-ray playback device for both the casual viewer or family or even the enthusiast who wants a capable second player outside of the home theater. Voice commands are a dream and they work very well at a high percentage rate of accuracy. The failure to navigate disc menus with verbal commands or hand gestures is disappointing, and that the Kinect more often than not fails to recognize commands during loud playback can be an annoyance. These issues, however, are much less likely to plague the casual living room experience, which seems to be Microsoft's target, anyway. Considering the smooth experience, fast access, the absence of glaring glitches, the terrific and intuitive SmartGlass remote app, the awesome Kinect interface, and all the other things the system does well right out of the box, the Xbox One is the clear winner over the PS4 in terms of overall entertainment integration and, more specific to this site and its audience, Blu-ray playback. There's no doubt the PS4 will eventually play catchup and at least rival the Xbox One, but Microsoft has certainly taken the lead and embraced the Blu-ray experience, once its rival, with open arms and an advanced, enjoyable, and accurate interactivity that's nothing short of a terrific experience all round. Oh, and it also plays some great video games. The Xbox One comes very highly recommended.

Posted November 25, FULL ARTICLE HERE.

(Merged topics for comparison.)

#2 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

TLDR: Blu-ray playback overall experience better on the One than the PS4 because of voice controls and SmartGlass.

Both are only sufficient for "casual" blu-ray audiences. Those looking for advanced features in a blu-ray player need to shop elsewhere.

#3 Posted by lundy86_4 (43426 posts) -

Not a surprise. I won't be using either for exclusive BR playback.

#4 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7935 posts) -

A feature that will most probably be used by 0 people here on SW.

#5 Posted by gago-gago (9484 posts) -

Another review stating the Xbox One is the clear winner. All in one indeed.

#6 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Weird that the XBONE has a better Blu-ray player. Oh well. I already have 2 in the house.

#7 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

Sony should certainly be embarrassed and probably are.

But this is a matter of software. Presumably, it will get more and better features over time. As will the One's BD player.

#8 Edited by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions: cry moar cow

#9 Posted by lglz1337 (3778 posts) -

tv tvtv tv blu tv ray

#10 Edited by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

@lglz1337: yes killzone and knack lol

#11 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

"The failure to navigate disc menus with verbal commands or hand gestures is disappointing, and that the Kinect more often than not fails to recognize commands during loud playback can be an annoyance. These issues, however, are much less likely to plague the casual living room experience, which seems to be Microsoft's target, anyway."

But it's better? Okay. Sounds about on par with PS4. Regardless, this is disappointing for Sony considering that's more of their forte.

#12 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23763 posts) -

what a bizarre decision to push 3d so hard then leave it out of the ps4.

those guys have no clue what they are doing.

the ps3 is a great bd player so it is surprising to see the ps4 go backwards.

#13 Posted by YD_11 (1833 posts) -

Yet another thing the X1 is better than the ps4 at. So far a clean sweep by my count.. Better games. Better UI. Better features. Better blu ray player. Better controller too imo.

#14 Posted by dxmcat (1142 posts) -

Or, my Oppo BDP-83 (dated model) craps on both of those because the picture/sound is obviously superior, AND full DLNA support.

#15 Posted by thedork_knight (872 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:

"The failure to navigate disc menus with verbal commands or hand gestures is disappointing, and that the Kinect more often than not fails to recognize commands during loud playback can be an annoyance. These issues, however, are much less likely to plague the casual living room experience, which seems to be Microsoft's target, anyway."

But it's better? Okay. Sounds about on par with PS4.

wow!!!!!! Did you actually read the articles or even the quotes?

#16 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

Hey TC, you forgot to quote this. "The failure to navigate disc menus with verbal commands or hand gestures is disappointing, and that the Kinect more often than not fails to recognize commands during loud playback can be an annoyance."

#17 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

Hey TC, you forgot to quote this. "The failure to navigate disc menus with verbal commands or hand gestures is disappointing, and that the Kinect more often than not fails to recognize commands during loud playback can be an annoyance."

It's right in in the OP. Did you read in the article where this is stated to be menu specific, as in menus that are hard-coded on disc "extras, special features"... I wouldn't expect voice commands for those options, myself.

"It's at the main menu that some of the magic is lost. There appears to be no way to verbally navigate the menu, which makes sense considering those disc-specific commands aren't wired directly into the system software."

#18 Posted by greensand24 (387 posts) -

Microsoft giving Sony a beat down in their own backyard. How embarrassing.

#19 Edited by kiko1 (187 posts) -

@dxmcat: i am a oppo bdp 93 owner these guys don't know what a quality blu-ray player is i bought a ps4 for games not movies.

#20 Posted by KHAndAnime (13765 posts) -

@danabo said:

The Xbox One's Blu-ray player certainly isn't one for the home theater enthusiast. Picture is solid and sound is excellent, but it lacks precise tuning adjustments. Such audiences will want a dedicated player in their rack. However, the Xbox One just may be the perfect family room Blu-ray playback device for both the casual viewer or family or even the enthusiast who wants a capable second player outside of the home theater. Voice commands are a dream and they work very well at a high percentage rate of accuracy. The failure to navigate disc menus with verbal commands or hand gestures is disappointing, and that the Kinect more often than not fails to recognize commands during loud playback can be an annoyance. These issues, however, are much less likely to plague the casual living room experience, which seems to be Microsoft's target, anyway. Considering the smooth experience, fast access, the absence of glaring glitches, the terrific and intuitive SmartGlass remote app, the awesome Kinect interface, and all the other things the system does well right out of the box, the Xbox One is the clear winner over the PS4 in terms of overall entertainment integration and, more specific to this site and its audience, Blu-ray playback. There's no doubt the PS4 will eventually play catchup and at least rival the Xbox One, but Microsoft has certainly taken the lead and embraced the Blu-ray experience, once its rival, with open arms and an advanced, enjoyable, and accurate interactivity that's nothing short of a terrific experience all round. Oh, and it also plays some great video games. The Xbox One comes very highly recommended.

Posted November 25, FULL ARTICLE HERE.

Also, biased reviews lol - comments on Xbox 1's "great videogames" despite having lesser lineup ala Metacritic.

#21 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:


Also, biased reviews lol - comments on Xbox 1's "great videogames" despite having lesser lineup ala Metacritic.

FM5 9/10



#22 Posted by Evo_nine (1732 posts) -

ouch, cows have been owned.

#23 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

@danabo: cliffy is on systemwars because of me. I got him into it.

#24 Posted by dubt72 (37 posts) -

@anime. That's cute that you count indie games the same as full retail. Adorable, really. lol

#25 Posted by CloudStrife213 (430 posts) -

TL;DR

Blu-ray on Xbox One is better than Blu-Ray on PS4, and this is coming from a non-biased website blu-ray.com ; The official blu-ray website.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12614

#26 Edited by sailor232 (4724 posts) -

I tried the xbox one blu ray playback (How to train a dragon) and it was giving me slow playback and reduced sound volume whenever the speed of the film picked up,ie the flying scene. Not a big deal for me as I have a nice blu ray player anyway.

#27 Posted by l34052 (3197 posts) -

Surely the people that actually want a bluray player will have one by now given they can be picked up for almost no money these days, the issue of whether or not any of the consoles can match a seperate dedicated player is not a big deal.

#28 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7155 posts) -

All last gen cows raved over the Bluray player in the PS3......................This gen.......................not so much.

Greatness Awaits Countdown timer.............................................T minus Eternity.

#29 Edited by YD_11 (1833 posts) -

Not many sony fanboys want to venture into this thread it seems lol. It's alright, they can live in denial while the X1 continues to prove it is the best all around console out

#30 Posted by lhughey (4235 posts) -

This is interesting to me because I have a 360, PS3 and an Xbone to be delivered soon. One of the boxes will probably be decommissioned due to lack of shelf space. I'm interested to see how well the Xbone handles blurays and media types vs the PS3. If it can hold its own, the PS3 will probably be replaced as my media machine. But that is a big if, because the PS3 is so good with handling media features and supported many advanced Bluray features.

#31 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9247 posts) -

What's funny is I used 3 movies now in the PS4 and I had no glitch in either sound or video.

I used my WOW disc to test the system with the highest BR encoding and it passed with no issue.

The only thing I can complain about is loading times and menu system.

#32 Edited by FinalFighters (1483 posts) -

Meh as long as the PS4 can play bluray movies im happy. i dont care about all those "advanced" features.

#33 Posted by kuu2 (7331 posts) -

Have not purchased a BluRay in over 2 years. DD is where it is at.

5 more years and Blu Ray is the way of the Doe Doe.

A bunch of discs that you can't take with you, no thanks.

It is easier to take my 36o on a trip and have every movie I have ever purchased through Amazon.

#34 Posted by Martin_G_N (1715 posts) -

Both the Xone and the PS4 is upgradable through software, so if the PS4 has some missing features now, Sony will add them through updates later.

A good BD player is pretty cheap now a days anyways.

#35 Posted by General_Solo76 (223 posts) -

Actually that article states, the Xbox One Bluray is good for family room entertainment, but not as a serious Home theater enthusiests player!

#36 Edited by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

#37 Posted by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

#38 Posted by kemar7856 (11507 posts) -

@l34052: well I only used my ps3 as a blu ray player my laptop has one too but i'm not going to watch movies on that

#39 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

To watch blu-rays?

#40 Posted by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

To watch blu-rays?

...can't do it on your PS4 or your PS3?

#41 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

To watch blu-rays?

...can't do it on your PS4 or your PS3?

no..they're for playing video games. i need a dedicated blu-ray player

#42 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

All last gen cows raved over the Bluray player in the PS3......................This gen.......................not so much.

Greatness Awaits Countdown timer.............................................T minus Eternity.

That's because PS3 was a beast blu-ray player in 2007. It was a huge value for anyone wanting both gaming machine, and an opportunity to step up to HD movie watching.

In 2014? Not so much - if you are an home theater afficianado you can get an Oppo player instead of PS3, or if you are on a budget you can get a player for $99 that is as good as PS3.The PS3 is still a "good" blu-ray player for sure, but it's not practical to buy as a blu-ray player other than seeing it as a "bonus" feature of the gaming machine. I haven't even played a single blu-ray movie in my PS3 for like 3 or 4 years. I still watch blu-rays all the time, but I have multiple standalone players now. So there's no point to use my PS3 for that function, nor would I use my PS4. I do still use my PS3 still for Netflix though..

#43 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

@XBOunity said:

@lglz1337: yes killzone and knack lol

I've actually found both highly enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning them :)

#44 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6665 posts) -

When the PS3 launched in 2006 it was one of the best blu-ray players on the market and remained among the top choice for blu-ray players for the next couple of years until around 2008-2009.

By 2013, the PS3s blu-ray player is pretty much garbage. It can play blu-rays, but that's about it. If you care about picture quality and sound quality (and have a decent surround system and HDTV or projector) you're not doing your equipment any justice buying a PS3, PS4 or X1 as a blu-ray player.

With STUNNING blu-ray players like the Cambridge 652/752 and Oppo 103/105 they are on a completely different level when it comes to loading times, de-interlacing, colour accuracy, cadence, software/apps, build quality, upscaling, sound processing, outputs/inputs and so on. Oh and then there's the ESS Sabre DAC (Digital-Analog-Converters) in those blu-ray players that make all the difference.

#45 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6665 posts) -

@YD_11: Then you are obviously dumb and don't know what you are talking about.

PS4 has:

* better CPU

* better RAM

* better GPU

* lower price point (Xbox One costs 25%(!) more), despite the weaker hardware as posted above

* Clearly superior UI, way more intuitive and logical. X1s UI is a clunky mess.

Launch lineups:

Knack and Ryse are equally crappy, KZ4 didn't quite meet expectations, but still better than any X1 FPS/action game.

X1 has Forza 5, but PS4 has Resogun.

I'd call it a tie. But when The Order 1886, Infamous: Second Son, Final Fantasy XV, Uncharted 4, future ND games, next Gran Turismo's, next Santa Monica games, and so on and so on we all know the PS4 will leave X1s Halo/Forza/Gears in the dust... by a landslide.

When it comes to the blu-ray players, both of them are poor by today's standards. You can equal PS3/PS4/X1 BD players with a 40 dollar LG player at Walmart. If you're a videophile and actually care about sound quality and picture quality, you'll invest in a great BD player Like Cambridge 651, 751, 652 or 752 OR Oppo 93, 95, 103 or 105. They cost from $300 to $1200 but are worth every dollar.

#46 Edited by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

To watch blu-rays?

...can't do it on your PS4 or your PS3?

no..they're for playing video games. i need a dedicated blu-ray player

So,you decided to pay 500$ for a blu rayer player while you could get one for 50$?

#47 Edited by YD_11 (1833 posts) -

@Mozelleple112:

Seems like you are the one who doesnt know what they are talking about. The cpu in the X1 is superior while the gpu in the ps4 is superior for starters. And you have to be joking with the UI nonsense.. have you used the X1 UI? Ps4 feels like something from 10 years ago in comparison.

True, the x1 is more expensive but you get what you pay for. The games are almost identical when it comes to multi plats and ryse is easily one of the best looking games out on consoles currently. So that leaves you with all the bonus features included in the X1 like voice controlling your tv, snapping multiple apps, games, tv, music, movies at once on the same screen. Auto recognition of you and logging in of your profile. better blu ray player according to this blu ray website. Kinect camera is head and shoulders above the ps camera and likewise will be developed for more regularly because it is in every console.

Knack and ryse scored the same here though id argue Ryse to be the better game by a wide margin (even meta scores it higher than knack since i see cows quoting that a lot these days). And you cant compare an arcade game that lasts 2 hours with a full scale blockbuster game that scores AAA. I understand that the ps4 library consists almost entirely of multiplats and arcade games but come on... You also forgot about another full blockbuster game in DR3 that also scored higher than KZ

By the way, you can keep waiting for most of those games to come out on ps4 while the officially announced games on x1 for next year trump those of ps4.

Ultimately, agree to disagree. You are entitled to stay in denial about the current state of next gen systems.

#48 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

@MonsieurX:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

To watch blu-rays?

...can't do it on your PS4 or your PS3?

no..they're for playing video games. i need a dedicated blu-ray player

So,you decided to pay 500$ for a blu rayer player while you could get one for 50$?

yeah

#49 Posted by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

@MonsieurX said:

@supercowelitist said:

I got an Xbone to use as a blu-ray player. My PS4 does all my gaming needs..

Not sure why you'd spend 500$ on a bluray player

To watch blu-rays?

...can't do it on your PS4 or your PS3?

no..they're for playing video games. i need a dedicated blu-ray player

So,you decided to pay 500$ for a blu rayer player while you could get one for 50$?

yeah

Seems like a wise choice.

#50 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6665 posts) -

@YD_11 said:

@Mozelleple112:

Seems like you are the one who doesnt know what they are talking about. The cpu in the X1 is superior while the gpu in the ps4 is superior for starters. And you have to be joking with the UI nonsense.. have you used the X1 UI? Ps4 feels like something from 10 years ago in comparison.

True, the x1 is more expensive but you get what you pay for. The games are almost identical when it comes to multi plats and ryse is easily one of the best looking games out on consoles currently. So that leaves you with all the bonus features included in the X1 like voice controlling your tv, snapping multiple apps, games, tv, music, movies at once on the same screen. Auto recognition of you and logging in of your profile. better blu ray player according to this blu ray website. Kinect camera is head and shoulders above the ps camera and likewise will be developed for more regularly because it is in every console.

Knack and ryse scored the same here though id argue Ryse to be the better game by a wide margin (even meta scores it higher than knack since i see cows quoting that a lot these days). And you cant compare an arcade game that lasts 2 hours with a full scale blockbuster game that scores AAA. I understand that the ps4 library consists almost entirely of multiplats and arcade games but come on... You also forgot about another full blockbuster game in DR3 that also scored higher than KZ

By the way, you can keep waiting for most of those games to come out on ps4 while the officially announced games on x1 for next year trump those of ps4.

Ultimately, agree to disagree. You are entitled to stay in denial about the current state of next gen systems.

So much wrong in a couple of paragraphs I don't even know where to begin. The X1 UI is a clunky mess, and extremly unintuitive. while the PS4 has more or less a perfected UI. Sure there are a few things I would implement here and there, but its close to being a flawless system, regardless of "age". X1 UI is almost as terrible as other microsoft platforms (i.e. WP8, W8..)

Funny how you say that multiplatform games look the same when they're not even running the same resolution, the PS4 is running (e.g.) CoD ghosts at DOUBLE the resolution (1080p vs 720p) that in itself is a HUGE difference.

What games have been announced for X1 that are good? I don't even know of any. More Halo, Gears and Forza this gen?

I am not in denial at all, obviously you are. Its ironic that you say you get what you pay for, when a weaker system costs $500 and a 50% more powerful console with better design, UI and not to mention 3 times the amount of game studios behind them, costs $400. Checkmate.