Black Friday may be over, but Steam and CyberMonday are still go! - SWM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

After listening to IW this week Shane said that lighting can be issue too.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#352 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Lighting is only an issue when using the infared sensors (the problem is that you can't have a lamp/open window next to your sensor bar, since the Wiimote thinks there's another sensor bar next to it). But if it's Motion Plus only, then the problem would be Bluetooth interference, just like in the E3 2010 conference where all the electronics turned on and using the wireless signals caused problems with the demos for Zelda and Epic Mickey.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

I total agree with Tom Review.....a fair and honest review for the Zelda: Skyward Sword.

ActionRemix

You agree with someone's opinion about a game that you've never played, simply because he flopped it?

Most people in the thread agree with IGN out of hype alone.

I have reached phase two of the game 20 hours in and IGN's is a very accurate review actually.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

You agree with someone's opinion about a game that you've never played, simply because he flopped it?

SuperFlakeman

I have reached phase two of the game 20 hours in and IGN's is a very accurate review actually.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the greatest Zelda game ever created. It's the best game for Wii and one of the finest video game accomplishments of the past 10 years.IGN
Greatest Zelda ever? Hellllllllllll no.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 SuperFlakeman

[quote="IGN"]The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the greatest Zelda game ever created. It's the best game for Wii and one of the finest video game accomplishments of the past 10 years.ActionRemix

Is that how far you got into the review?

Arriving at dungeons and temples now takes hours, and none of that time is wasted. The sheer brilliance on display here, evident more and more as you journey deeper into the game, will stun even the most jaded gamer.

Once again, Nintendo is demonstrating its unparalleled ability to craft some of the greatest gameplay this industry has ever seen.

Zelda: Skyward Sword is the purest, most perfect realization of Nintendo's ambitious goals for motion-controlled gaming. It somehow took five years, but the definitive proof plays out before you on the screen.IGN

This is exactly how I feel.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Geez, Zelda flopped... good. About time Nintendo got a kick to the nads on System Wars. Thank you Tom. Sweet, Uncharted 3 is the better game, even Uncharted 1 Drake's Fortune is the better game.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 ActionRemix
Arriving at dungeons and temples now takes hours, and none of that time is wasted. The sheer brilliance on display here, evident more and more as you journey deeper into the game, will stun even the most jaded gamer.Once again, Nintendo is demonstrating its unparalleled ability to craft some of the greatest gameplay this industry has ever seen.Zelda: Skyward Sword is the purest, most perfect realization of Nintendo's ambitious goals for motion-controlled gaming. It somehow took five years, but the definitive proof plays out before you on the screen.IGN
It's true, it took me five hours to get to the first dungeon. Faron woods is just straight-up boring. Filler/padding all of the way through. A few hours after I beat the third dungeon, the game had the nerve to shuffle me through that borefest for a second time, ending with a Mario inspired time trial, and then the game makes you replay the first dungeon! Nothing new. I'm just running through the same area doing boring filler fetch/find quests. I hear this won't be my last visit, either. As far as motion control goes, it's alright, but there's nothing going on in the game that couldn't be accomplished with a dual analog gamepad.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 SuperFlakeman

Faron woods is just straight-up boring. Filler/padding all of the way through. ActionRemix

I think Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano and Laynaru Desert are some of the best designed 3D areas in a video game ever.

The highlight of SS so far has been the surface world.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 ActionRemix

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"] Faron woods is just straight-up boring. Filler/padding all of the way through. SuperFlakeman

I think Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano and Laynaru Desert are some of the best designed 3D areas in a video game ever.

The highlight of SS so far has been the surface world.

I couldn't disagree more, but alright. Eldin Volcano and Laynaru Desert are OKAY and Faron Woods is a complete disaster. Wow.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#360 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Geez, Zelda flopped... good. About time Nintendo got a kick to the nads on System Wars. Thank you Tom. Sweet, Uncharted 3 is the better game, even Uncharted 1 Drake's Fortune is the better game.

contracts420
Bold words considering that game in your sig.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#361 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I total agree with Tom Review.....a fair and honest review for the Zelda: Skyward Sword.

AtariKidX
Just like that inFamous 2 review, amirite??? :lol:
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#362 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

People pay too much attention to scores.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#363 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

bbkkristian

you're doing it again.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#364 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]Most people in the thread agree with IGN out of hype alone.ActionRemix

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the greatest Zelda game ever created. It's the best game for Wii and one of the finest video game accomplishments of the past 10 years.IGN

So better than Ocarina of Time, yet not the best game of the last decade. Zelda: OOT no where near best game ever made confirmed. MGS4, Half Life 2 >
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 Willy105

So better than Ocarina of Time, yet not the best game of the last decade. Zelda: OOT no where near best game ever made confirmed. MGS4, Half Life 2 >Mozelleple112

OoT was a far bigger deal when it came out than either MGS4 or HL2 were when they came out.

Anyone can mock MGS4, but saying bad things about OoT is still taboo.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#366 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

People pay too much attention to scores.

el3m2tigre
I actually do not give a crap about what some random reviewer thinks about a game, what I dont like is that people are using this review as an oppertunity to proclaim Skyward Sword a crap game, or to say stuff like: "7.5? That's really disappointing, cancelling my preorder" and just generally bash the zelda franchise. I mean C'MON! Look at all the other reviews, 9s and 10s mostly! The opinion of ONE person is not gospel fact.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

ActionRemix

I agree with the hundreds of reviews that contradict what Tom thinks.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#368 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

He could have given it a 2 and I'd still have bought it.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#369 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

BrunoBRS

you're doing it again.

Darn it! :P the bait is so delicious!
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#370 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]Good interview. It would've been nice to know more about how he calculates his scores, though.TomMcShea

Under the score in every review, we have a link you can click on to see our guidelines. A game in the 7 range is described as "good overall, and likely worth playing by fans of the particular genre or by those otherwise interested. While its strengths outweigh its weaknesses, a game that falls in this range tends to have noticeable faults."

My hands are kind of tied with scores. We have certain criteria we have to follow so I can't just give out any number I want. When I submit a review for QA (a process where everyone on staff reads and weighs in on my thoughts), I do so without a score, and see what they think it sounded like. In the case of SS, everyone confirmed my belief that this really is a Good game. It would have been much easier if I had slapped on an 8.5 to the same text, and I would have gotten far less grief for it, but I want to be as informative as possible.

So, yeah, the score is the last part of a review and the entire staff talks about where this number should fall. SS has strengths but serious weaknesses, so it's firmly in the Good range. Because I really enjoyed it, I made it a 7.5 instead of a 7.0, but anything above that would contradict my evaluation.

so, is Gunstringer a better game than Zelda SS? sorry, but something doesn't quite compute here.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 Willy105

Willy105:

Mario 3D Land flopped...and....

Fabz_95:

Mario 3D Lands flop is a blow for Nintendo but Skyward Sword could make up for it.

Darkspineslayer:

Nintendo property being underscored by gamespot is nothing earth shattering. The fact that Sonic Generations got the same score as the latest Mario title however...

789shadow:

Bored to Death.

Darklink77:

We should give it to MS based on Halo's ten year anniversary.

Ten years of being better than every single one of Sony's first party games should mean something, right?

*time lapse*

Darklink77:

Skyward Sword a 7.5?! Holy. F***ing. S***. Tom Mcshea. I mean, goddamn.

Willy105:

Hmmmm...maybe Nintendo deserves a point for this, just for irony.

Fabz_95:

This day will be LEGENDARY.

I think we should give Nintendo a pity point.

DarkLink77:

If we gave pity points, Sony would be winning far and away by now.

Let's be consistent here.

Willy105:

Then who wins?

Fabz_95:

I have no idea. Thanks to all the Zelda drama this week was anything but boring, there were a ton of good multiplats released over these two weeks, the Zelda and Mario games flopped, Halo CE Anniversairy scored an 8.0 (not too sure about the hype on that one) as did a DS game that I've never heard of.

What do we do?

Willy105:

We can't say Bored to Death, since this was anything but boring. I think we finally found a flaw in the Battle Royale scoring system.

Darklink77:

It's clearly a MS victory, like I said before.

Pretty sure Anniversary met hype.

Willy105:

Then it is decided, Microsoft wins for the third time in a row.

Who would have thought, huh?

Current Stats

Hermits

Lemmings

Sheep

Cows

Bored to Death

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 BrunoBRS
darklink's comment on pity points made me lol at 1 in the morning :lol:
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 ActionRemix
What is this...Microsoft wins for an HD rerelease? Bored to death was the right answer.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Lemmings win the Battle Royale for a remake of a 10 year old game? Uncharted 3 did release this month right?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#375 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

The lemmings are losing to the hermits guy's.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 BrunoBRS
What is this...Microsoft wins for an HD rerelease? Bored to death was the right answer.ActionRemix
can't say bored to death with the outrage that's going on :P i'd say nintendo wins even though their games haven't really won, but because of how much entertainment and content they've provided to SW :P
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 BPoole96

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]What is this...Microsoft wins for an HD rerelease? Bored to death was the right answer.BrunoBRS
can't say bored to death with the outrage that's going on :P i'd say nintendo wins even though their games haven't really won, but because of how much entertainment and content they've provided to SW :P

Exactly, Zelda flopping brought tons of entertainment. Sheep definitely had the spotlight for most of this month. Uncharted 3 met hype and was a pretty boring release aside from a couple Gears 3 > UC3 topics.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 ActionRemix
More like...Nintendo loses a point. :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#379 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="ActionRemix"]What is this...Microsoft wins for an HD rerelease? Bored to death was the right answer.BPoole96

Exactly, Zelda flopping brought tons of entertainment. Sheep definitely had the spotlight for most of this month. Uncharted 3 met hype and was a pretty boring release aside from a couple Gears 3 > UC3 topics.

We already gave Cows a point for Uncharted in the last Battle Royal. A decision I support, before everyone retroactively flips a s***.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 DarkLink77
More like...Nintendo loses a point. :PActionRemix
Unfortunately, we don't do that. We considered that a while back, but ultimately decided not to. Ironically, we were considering it for Nintendo last time, too. :P
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] can't say bored to death with the outrage that's going on :P i'd say nintendo wins even though their games haven't really won, but because of how much entertainment and content they've provided to SW :PDarkLink77

We already gave Cows a point for Uncharted in the last Battle Royal. A decision I support, before everyone retroactively flips a s***.

Oh okay. I think I missed that once then

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Zelda Flopped cause it is Handist!!!! (No left handed mode WTF!!!!)

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 BPoole96

mojito1988

Really? That is ridiculous. As a left handed person, I am highly offended by this

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#384 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Willy105:

Mario 3D Land flopped...and....

Fabz_95:

Mario 3D Lands flop is a blow for Nintendo but Skyward Sword could make up for it.

Darkspineslayer:

Nintendo property being underscored by gamespot is nothing earth shattering. The fact that Sonic Generations got the same score as the latest Mario title however...

789shadow:

Bored to Death.

Darklink77:

We should give it to MS based on Halo's ten year anniversary.

Ten years of being better than every single one of Sony's first party games should mean something, right?

*time lapse*

Darklink77:

Skyward Sword a 7.5?! Holy. F***ing. S***. Tom Mcshea. I mean, goddamn.

Willy105:

Hmmmm...maybe Nintendo deserves a point for this, just for irony.

Fabz_95:

This day will be LEGENDARY.

I think we should give Nintendo a pity point.

DarkLink77:

If we gave pity points, Sony would be winning far and away by now.

Let's be consistent here.

Willy105:

Then who wins?

Fabz_95:

I have no idea. Thanks to all the Zelda drama this week was anything but boring, there were a ton of good multiplats released over these two weeks, the Zelda and Mario games flopped, Halo CE Anniversairy scored an 8.0 (not too sure about the hype on that one) as did a DS game that I've never heard of.

What do we do?

Willy105:

We can't say Bored to Death, since this was anything but boring. I think we finally found a flaw in the Battle Royale scoring system.

Darklink77:

It's clearly a MS victory, like I said before.

Pretty sure Anniversary met hype.

Willy105:

Then it is decided, Microsoft wins for the third time in a row.

Who would have thought, huh?

Current Stats

Hermits

Lemmings

Sheep

Cows

Bored to Death

Willy105

I really don't get it, you guys give points for what exactly?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 DarkLink77
darklink's comment on pity points made me lol at 1 in the morning :lol:BrunoBRS
Glad we could make you laugh. ;)
mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 mojito1988

[QUOTE="mojito1988"]

BPoole96

Really? That is ridiculous. As a left handed person, I am highly offended by this

Its true try getting the sword from the stone if you use thewiimote in your left hand it will make you cry....

Grr Nintendo you know what the worst part of this is? LINK IS LEFT HANDED!! They moved him over to right handed for motion issues.. so sad.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="mojito1988"]

mojito1988

Its true try getting the sword from the stone if you use thewiimote in your left hand it will make you cry....

Grr Nintendo you know what the worst part of this is? LINK IS LEFT HANDED!! They moved him over to right handed for motion issues.. so sad.

It's not Nintendo's fault you're genetically inferior. :o :P
mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 mojito1988

[QUOTE="mojito1988"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DarkLink77

it's True!! My right hand is pathetic........sob ;;.....(hides in the corner of hyrule that people that cannot hold the wiimote in the right hand go to die...)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="mojito1988"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DarkLink77

we lefties are twins that were so badass we kill and absorb your own brother before we're even born (google it). we then become stronger and end up as famous musicians or awesome videogame characters. top that.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 BPoole96

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="mojito1988"]

BrunoBRS

we lefties are twins that were so badass we kill and absorb your own brother before we're even born (google it). we then become stronger and end up as famous musicians or awesome videogame characters. top that.

Back when I used to play basketball, being left handed helped me tremendously since everyone would expect me to go to the right

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] It's not Nintendo's fault you're genetically inferior. :o :PBPoole96

Back when I used to play basketball, being left handed helped me tremendously since everyone would expect me to go to the right

being a lefty gives you the upper hand (pun unintended) in practically any competitive activity, since everyone practices against the right handed people. we rule.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

how is points even gained in the battle royal thing? what are the fanboys getting points for?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 DarkLink77

how is points even gained in the battle royal thing? what are the fanboys getting points for?

Mario1331
Generally, it's determined by whoever did the best between the time the last Battle Royal was published, and now. The best way to earn a point is to have an exclusive meet hype on SW.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 ActionRemix
[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

DarkLink77
Generally, it's determined by whoever did the best between the time the last Battle Royal was published, and now. The best way to earn a point is to have an exclusive meet hype on SW.

I think you could have made a special case for a point loss this time. It's not every day that a game is hyped GOTY and flops 2.5 points. :P
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#395 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

The Bias in the battle royals seeps through pretty clearly... it's like you arent even trying to appear objective.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#396 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Did Tom know that The Pointer for Skyward Sword isn't Infared?

I was wondering why the pointer was seeming like it was really slow for some reason and why there was a "centering" option, and it wasn't until I hit my home menu did I realize that it was because the pointer is Motion Plus based instead of Infared.

That would explain why Link seemed to be "looking down" .

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

:) I was quoted

And the Damage control is still going strong....Tom must have b***s of steel with sharks swimming in them for giving zelda that score he could have at least have 8.5ed it ..you know a flop but a DECENT flop.

And back to Skyrim

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

The Bias in the battle royals seeps through pretty clearly... it's like you arent even trying to appear objective.

zarshack

It is, indeed, pretty obvious. :P

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 SuperFlakeman

Did Tom know that The Pointer for Skyward Sword isn't Infared?

I was wondering why the pointer was seeming like it was really slow for some reason and why there was a "centering" option, and it wasn't until I hit my home menu did I realize that it was because the pointer is Motion Plus based instead of Infared.

That would explain why Link seemed to be "looking down" .

LegatoSkyheart

Yeah, he said that it doesn't matter what method they used, it was still "bad".

And yeah you have to get used to the fact that you are not "pointing" in SS.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
So it was proven tom did not know how to play the game? Cant say I am surprised