Biowares Last Game.....

• 137 results
Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) 2 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Biowares Last Game..... (54 votes)

If Dragon Age Inquisition Flops 4%
Regardless If Dragon Age Inquisition Flops 6%
Will go for a few more games then be shut down 11%
Will never be shut down 57%
Needs to be shut down but sadly won't be 22%

The Bioware that made Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gate games is long dead! Bioware is kinda like the Dexter series after the 4th season It just wants na I say needs to die, and it's only a matter of time before EA pulls the life support.

What's left of Bioware is some shadowy EA figure that's the same in name only and will be more or less a mercy killing, but only when EA thinks they've squeezed every last nickle. Like the Dexter series it's time to end it before more damage can be done and dragged even more through the mud if that's even possible at this point..............

#1 Edited by Nanomage (2409 posts) -

Bioware hasnt made Planescape Torment or Icewind Dale,that was the far superior RPG developer Black Isle,wich also helped them with Baldur´s gate.

Anyway Bioware did some pretty good games but Baldur´s Gate 2 was their peak,their magnum opus,as good as some of their later games they never came close to the masterpiece that Baldur´s Gate 2 was/is.

#2 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Still love Bioware, why you might ask?

Cause I'm not a tool who gets pissy when a dev makes 1 or 2 "meh" games while Kotor 1, Dragon Age Origins, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 were freaking amazing and Dragon Age 3 looks promising.

Seriously the amount of Bioware hate is just so freaking childish. Now if they went the route of Square Enix, I'd say then the hate is deserved.

#3 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

EA did right by Bioware and their games have actually been improving.

Hows that Nostalgia feelin ?

#4 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Sarcasm?

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Fact !

#6 Posted by wiifan001 (18374 posts) -

Did you make this thread just to show us that comic?

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

He probably drew it himself. :p.

#8 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

DA:I will be great, and easily best on PC.

#9 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Fact !

EA has done good by no company Fact

#10 Edited by CanYouDiglt (7310 posts) -

Mass Effect were my favorite games last gen and Dragon Age looks like it will be awesome. Bioware has been putting out some great games.

BTW where is the poll option that the OP should never make a thread again?

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Shielder7

All I know is Bioware makes better games now. And thats all that matters, haters be damned.

#12 Edited by Speak_Low (948 posts) -

DA3 won't be Bioware's last game. They aren't in that big of trouble (why am I even entertaining the TC's thought that Bioware will die this year, I don't know)

People hate a certain part of Mass Effect 3 (the ending) and maybe Dragon Age 2 wasn't exactly good, but that doesn't mean they are on life support. They still have the upcoming Mass Effect 4, DA3 and could be making KOTOR 3 right now. All of this on next-gen platforms that will hopefully have more improvements, lavish AAA production quality, and promising the best visuals we've seen for any of these franchises, and people will be excited or at least curious (not repulsed) and watching every new trailer that comes out in the next few years. And then they will play them or wait and see what the reviews say.

That is not the behavior one would go through for a company on life support. Something tells me that Bioware, for the most part, still provide enough good, competent entertainment in their overall output and the few bad spots are way overblown (and that EA association seems to tarnish their reputation far more than they deserve). If Bioware is really that bad, then you have to absolutely 100% swear to me you will never touch and play Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3 and KOTOR 3, or watch an upcoming video about them or read a review/look at any Metacritic scores. Bioware should be dead and buried after DA3 so there is no need to care about ME4 and KOTOR3 (according to TC)

I think the Mass Effect trilogy's overall story and ambitious handling of so many interacting characters and that universe was still quite an accomplishment. Like all spanning trilogies you aren't going to love every part in them but I can name far worse franchises with worse stories, writing, dumb characters and other boring elements. Bioware's worst writing and characters is still not as bad as, say, that piece of crap Itagaki game.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Speak_Low

Why are Singling out Itagaki ? The entire Fighting Game and Hack n' Slash Genre is filled with craptacular narratives. Literally everysingle is sh!t.

#14 Edited by bussinrounds (2030 posts) -

The Bioware that made Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale

#15 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

DA:I will be shit especially on PC.

#16 Posted by jsmoke03 (12756 posts) -

im sorry you guys feel bioware sucks....i think they are the best gaming studio til this day.

probably the only thing im fanboyish about in this industry....

#17 Edited by Boddicker (2518 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

Pretty much this.

If they don't replace their writers it's only a matter of time.

Do I think they have a few more games left in them? Sure. People will buy DA3 simply because there is no pseudo-RPG on consoles at this time. But if it sucks the hate is slowly building to a boil. ME4 will of course be huge, but again if that sucks less people will buy ME5. When that happens I could see EA dissolving the company a few years down the road and absorbing some of the personnel.

It's a shame, because I used to really like Bioware games.

#18 Posted by Newhopes (4510 posts) -

Little tip go look up Black isle studios....

#19 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

The Bioware people wax nostalgic about is long since dead, its talent spread far and wide.

Bioware of today is a brand that EA applies in a transparent effort to transfer legitimacy to random EA studios. If you relate EA's collection of Biowares to the Bioware of old, then EA got what they paid for. And you're a sucker.

#20 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

I just want another Jade Empire.

#21 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

DAO, DA2, ME1-3 were all better on PC....so will those one.

#22 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

bioware makes some decent games... no reason for them to go

EA is the only issue here

#23 Edited by Krelian-co (10373 posts) -

agreed, they aren't the best devs around and they made some mistakes but i certainly prefer having them around, for example i enjoyed mass effect trilogy a lot even if the ending was a disaster. I also enjoyed dragon age origin even if 2 was also a disaster. Every dev is entitled to make some bad moves once in a while.

#24 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Shielder7 said:
@Jankarcop said:

Better is subjective, I know it's hard for ignorant hermits but stop trying to pass you opinions off as facts. IMO 3 out of 5 of those games were crap regardless of what system.

#25 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Considering they own Bioware and have their sticky greedy fingers in everything they do that's a pretty big issue that's not going to go away.

#26 Edited by parkurtommo (26482 posts) -

It won't shut down any time soon.

#27 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Shielder7 said:
@Jankarcop said:

Better is subjective, I know it's hard for ignorant hermits but stop trying to pass you opinions off as facts. IMO 3 out of 5 of those games were crap regardless of what system.

Better fps, better gfx, lower load times, more control options (the superior kb/m) = better.

#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Jankarcop

You were on a role and then you just had to ruin it by saying "the superior kb/m = better"

#29 Edited by uninspiredcup (7843 posts) -

My friends, I feel the best analogy for Bioware is Rocky 3.

In Rocky, Bioware are a nobody, they make Baldurs Gate and suddenly become the shit. Then (like Rocky 2) Baldurs Gate 2 is a clone of Baldurs Gate ii but none the less, still good.

In Rocky 3, the rocky man, has had the glory, the money, the woman (Baldurs gate II) and as such becomes arrogant and lazy, a corporate puppet fighting joke fighters (EA, casual console games) Then, when he fights clubber lang, a new hungry and up and coming fighter, he gets his ass kicked and mickey dies

This is Clubber Lang.

Sadly life isn't like the movies, Bioware will never get the eye of the tiger back.

#30 Posted by cainetao11 (16893 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

I just want another Jade Empire.

same

#31 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Shielder7 said:
@Jankarcop said:

Better fps, better gfx, lower load times, more control options (the superior kb/m) = better.

Nope

#32 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Jankarcop

You were on a role and then you just had to ruin it by saying "the superior kb/m = better"

It's specifically put it in parenthesis because of that. He can choose to ignore it, but those games do play better with kb/m. Less pausing. (hotkeys) and better aim.

#33 Posted by foxhound_fox (87686 posts) -

Hows that Nostalgia feelin ?

They improved production values but highly decreased depth.

#34 Edited by lamprey263 (23170 posts) -

Why would Bioware go anywhere wit the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series under their belt? They're safe as long as their games are commercially viable.

People fail to see that those that EA has gotten rid of over the years have gone obsolete long ago, EA isn't out to play the Grinch.

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@foxhound_fox

They're older games were definately complex but they had no depth. A distinction many people don't see. The key to a great game is Maximizing Depth while minimizing Complexity.

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Jankarcop

Then the game is at fault, they need to redesign and reprogram the interface and control scheme. The controller and even motion controlls are just as capable, the developers just opted for the easier route because its less work.

#37 Posted by musalala (2141 posts) -

Well given EA's history there is a good chance Bioware will be shut down and absorbed.

#38 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

So the op thinks Bioware will scrap development on Mass Effect 4 if DA 3 fails?

I bet ME 4 is far into development and set for a 2015 or early 2016 release.

#39 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Wrong because it will be pretty bad especially on PC since its being build with console in mind.

#40 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

I but those games do play better with kb/m. Less pausing. (hotkeys) and better aim.

That's an opinion and I prefer controllers and like most AAA games it will be built with consoles in mind, so your flat out wrong.

#41 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7204 posts) -

Oh look, that picture again.

#42 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27385 posts) -
@Shielder7 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

I but those games do play better with kb/m. Less pausing. (hotkeys) and better aim.

That's an opinion and I prefer controllers and like most AAA games it will be built with consoles in mind, so your flat out wrong.

Control scheme and camera on DA & DA 2 was vastly better on PC than consoles (and thats not opinion). Why do you think 3 will be different?

#43 Posted by Krelian-co (10373 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

Unless they are shooters or fps, i usually play adventure games with controller and shooters/fps with keyboard/mouse. Playing fps with a controller should be a criminal offense.

#44 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

Control scheme and camera on DA & DA 2 was vastly better on PC than consoles (and thats not opinion). Why do you think 3 will be different?

Because with the trend they're taking they're obviously going more and more console friendly and designing it for consoles.

#45 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

Most AAA games are better on PC according to digital foundry.

#46 Edited by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@Shielder7 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

Because with the trend they're taking they're obviously going more and more console friendly and designing it for consoles.

I'm not sure if you've been following DA3, but it has full isometric view like da:o, but even more enhanced.

AKA: an entire mode for kb/m.

If its anything like DA:O, pc version will also be harder to compensate.

#47 Posted by Speak_Low (948 posts) -

@Speak_Low

Why are Singling out Itagaki ? The entire Fighting Game and Hack n' Slash Genre is filled with craptacular narratives. Literally everysingle is sh!t.

I agree there's a lot of bad ones in that genre but that Itagki game really sticks out to me, and is a recent one.

If developers were forced to go to the 'School of Bioware Game Design' to study and had no other options, I actually don't think it would be that tragic a thing, despite their flaws here and there. Our industry, technology, storytelling and writing abilities, would not disintegrate. There's some competent and polished work in there that would be beneficial to learn from.

But if developers went to the 'School of Itagaki/Devil's Third' and only learned from that, I think civilization would descend into barbarity, and possibly cannibalism.

#48 Edited by clyde46 (44986 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jankarcop

Just look at all the marketing and press releases for the new DA. Its all about pleasing the SJW crowd. We've heard zero about the gameplay etc, only that a character is openly gay....

Just look at the change between DA:O and DA2.... then look at the team who made the games....

#49 Posted by texasgoldrush (9137 posts) -

@musalala said:

Well given EA's history there is a good chance Bioware will be shut down and absorbed.

Wow, without a clue you are.

If EA is so quick to absorb them, why have they been expanded? They have three studios now and four known projects. You are not paying attention, due to your bias.

Once they were a company that could do only one game at a time, now can do more than four. They are far from dead, quite the opposite.

But by all means, keep being ignorant.

#50 Posted by zekere (2509 posts) -

I actually don't agree. While EA messed up with Criterion leaving Burnout to starve and destroying my favorite game of all time, Simcity, I think Bioware did some fantastic things the last few years. I really loved the first Dragon Age. It was the first RPG game in a long time that absorbed me completely. And the Mass Effect series was fantastic, with Mass Effect 2 being a fantastic single player game and Mass Effect 3's multiplayer add on with tons and tons of free DLC a slap in many developpers faces. I played mass Effect 3 multiplayer for more than a year...