Bioware reveals "Shadow Realms" A-RPG. Screens&Trailer

#1 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2463 posts) -

Dsogaming writes :

Electronic Arts has unveiled Bioware’s new IP, Shadow Realms. Shadow Realms will be an action RPG that is inspired by Bioware’s classic PC games. This new title will be coming exclusively on the PC, and its closed alpha phase will be launched later this year.

Shadow Realms is an Online Co-Op Action RPG and revolves around Co-Op 4v1 Shadowlord PvP, meaning that players will need an Internet Connection in order to enjoy it. The game will be released episodically.

Shadow Realms has its genesis in old school Dungeons & Dragons, and ultimately aims bring the magic of tabletop RPGs to the digital realm.

As Bioware’s James Ohle said:

“When I first started designing BioWare RPGs back in the 90s, what drove me creatively was the desire to give players the experience I had while playing pen and paper games as a youth. The great storytelling, the feeling that anything could happen – these were experiences that you couldn’t find in any other game. And the great thing was that these adventures never had an end. A good Dungeon Master could keep a story going for months or even years.”

Those interested can sign up for the closed beta here.

All in all, Shadow Realms is definitely not the next big ‘Mass Effect’ thing. Still, the game sounds interesting so let’s see what Bioware has in store for us!

Source

Thoughts .?

#2 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

your thoughts first!

#3 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2463 posts) -

your thoughts first!

Tired of online only and episodic bullshit .

#4 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -
#5 Edited by AdrianWerner (27982 posts) -

This has been such a incredible gamescom for pcgaming.

#6 Posted by 7MDMA (261 posts) -

Wasted opportunity. They'll be crowded out in the online space by MOBA's etc while everyone who was a fan of old Bioware/Black Isle will be playing proper single-player CRPG's like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment. Big missed opportunity to join the PC RPG renaissance.

#7 Posted by parkurtommo (26441 posts) -

@7mdma said:

Wasted opportunity. They'll be crowded out in the online space by MOBA's etc while everyone who was a fan of old Bioware/Black Isle will be playing proper single-player CRPG's like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment. Big missed opportunity to join the PC RPG renaissance.

Dafuq are you talking about man.

Does CoD crowd the console market? No. It only fills in the blank spaces. MOBAs don't detract from other games' success.

#8 Edited by 7MDMA (261 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

Does CoD crowd the console market? No. It only fills in the blank spaces. MOBAs don't detract from other games' success.

They missed their target audience for the game by going multi-player only is what I'm saying. They probably had a look at the MOBA craze and thought that was where the money was on PC (online) even as CRPG fans were scooping up a game like DOS like hot cakes. (the kind of game Bioware used to make)

#9 Posted by AdrianWerner (27982 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

They missed their target audience for the game by going multi-player only is what I'm saying. They probably had a look at the MOBA craze and thought that was where the money was on PC (online) even as CRPG fans were scooping up a game like DOS like hot cakes. (the kind of game Bioware used to make)

I think the idea is to target the audience of Neverwinter Nights, which hasn't been served for almost decade. It has nothing in common with MOBAs and this type of game simply can't work in SP.

And it's not like BioWare isn't making lots of SP RPGs anyway. Makes more sense to try to do something different from time to time.

#10 Posted by parkurtommo (26441 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

Multiplayer RPG =/= MOBA

#11 Posted by 7MDMA (261 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

I think the idea is to target the audience of Neverwinter Nights, which hasn't been served for almost decade. It has nothing in common with MOBAs and this type of game simply can't work in SP.

And it's not like BioWare isn't making lots of SP RPGs anyway. Makes more sense to try to do something different from time to time.

I'm not writing it off completely but online and episodic clash heavily with my idea of Bioware going back to their roots. :)

#12 Posted by TheEroica (13299 posts) -

Hype meter went up with "action rpg" and went right back down with episodic, pc exclusive, online .

I don't like to judge something before I actually see it in action but bioware making new ip? I was really hoping for another strong sp campaign... again, gotta wait and see what this game is.

#13 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2412 posts) -

Hype meter went up with "action rpg" and went right back down with episodic, online .

#14 Posted by sailor232 (4431 posts) -

Looks like rubbish.

#15 Posted by SecretPolice (21443 posts) -

No Kotor 3, no sale. :P

I kid but this one doesn't interest me too much ATM.

#16 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1276 posts) -

@AdrianWerner said:

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

This. Seems it's more about virtual PnP than a normal deathmatch style, like Evolve.

If there's world creation tools and the possibility to make "dungeons" this could be pretty awesome. I loved NWN

#17 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3999 posts) -

lol Bioware.

#18 Posted by musalala (2134 posts) -
#19 Edited by nutcrackr (12457 posts) -

I suspect F2P with that kind of structure and PC only. Trying to stay ahead of the curve with this community development thing.

Shame really coz the idea sounds good.

#20 Posted by isshiah (772 posts) -

Bioware does have other SP games up its sleeves, but i'm still disappointed this didn't turn out to be one of them. The trailers did make it seem like multiple characters would be involved, I just assumed those were the player character variations, not multiplayer.

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Its about god damn time !

#22 Posted by OhSnapitz (18083 posts) -

So basically Evolve RPG.. no thanks.

#23 Posted by Zassimick (6320 posts) -

I really like their comparisons to Dungeons and Dragons and having it be somewhat of a party of players versus the GM.

But looking at everything else, I'm not too impressed just yet. It's an initial showing, sure, but it didn't instill excitement in me.

#24 Posted by -Unreal- (24535 posts) -

inspired by Bioware’s classic PC games.

Aye right.

#25 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3355 posts) -

Does'nt look like it has much of anything to do with DnD.

Also, online only, competetive coop pvp :/ I kinda had to make up that genre.....

#26 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1343 posts) -

futuristic world using medieval weapons? ehhh

#27 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -

....Evolve RPG version?...

#28 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3813 posts) -

meh. couldnt give a shit about this type of game, no idea why games are trending to this 4 vs 1 style. first evole, then fable and now this shit

#29 Posted by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

Hype meter went up with "action rpg" and went right back down with episodic, pc exclusive, online .

I don't like to judge something before I actually see it in action but bioware making new ip? I was really hoping for another strong sp campaign... again, gotta wait and see what this game is.

I feel the same way. Online only doesn't bother me, but I'm personally not paying $60 per episode.

#30 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1348 posts) -

Video footage

#31 Posted by uninspiredcup (7777 posts) -

Looks more interesting than Dragon Age: IQ at least.

#32 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5750 posts) -
#33 Posted by silversix_ (14038 posts) -

look at this mediocre art direction and the game looks ugly eww.

#34 Posted by m3dude1 (1148 posts) -

lol looks like low budget gen 7 scraps off the cutting room floor. no surprise its pc exclusive

#35 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1348 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

lol looks like low budget gen 7 scraps off the cutting room floor. no surprise its pc exclusive

A PC exclusive currently blows away all console games. (Star Citizen). Multiplats on PC (ultra) look better than any console exclusive. And run better.

I find it funny that you are 100% about graphics at the first 1-2 years of every gen (which you lose at). But then the next 6-7 years you suddenly shift to game scores/ratings (which you also lose at).

Funny how that is right?

#36 Edited by m3dude1 (1148 posts) -

the 3 best looking games out right now are only on console.

#feelsgoodman

#37 Posted by m3dude1 (1148 posts) -

only going to get worse for herms over the next few months. driveclub makes mincemeat out of NFS shift 2.2 errrr i mean pcars.

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (7777 posts) -

Very sad to see off the bat people hating this game for any excuse they can drum up.

Much of it is simply jelly console peasants angry this is not another boring console title Mass Or Effect game. Fear not though, The Dragon Age is now Mass Effect Skyrims. Two casual console gamers for the price of one.

#39 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

I got an Alpha invite.

Doesn't look like anything thats all that great. But I said the same thing about Destiny before I played it.

And yes...omg...it's a PC exclusive. Woopty fuckin' doo.

#40 Posted by Vecna (3379 posts) -

Does not look particularly interesting; however I will hold final judgement until more information is made light.

#41 Posted by Krelian-co (10355 posts) -

As with everything bioware, will wait for reviews-

#42 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1348 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

the 3 best looking games out right now are only on console.

Crysis3, Metro Redux ultra, Ryse PC ultra all look better than anything on consoles......which is sad, consoles this early in the gen should have gfx king. You and I both know whats going to happen for the majority of this gen, which is why you're always too scared to talk about it. Which is what happened last gen. I remember you going on about Gears of War. And then..well...the next 7 years you weren't so vocal about gfx lol.

#winning

#43 Posted by m3dude1 (1148 posts) -

ryse pc isnt even out. lolololol @ crysis 3 and metro.

#44 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1348 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

ryse pc isnt even out. lolololol @ crysis 3 and metro.

I'm talking about the metro remastered, not original. Also AC:unity ultra on PC also looks better than anything on consoles as well. So basically, 4 Games within a year not including if SC, Elite, UT, and Dreadnaught come out. And lets not even get into the low performance issues rofl 30 fps and sub 1080p for many games.

Ouch. You're like a gfx cicada who only comes out every 7 years lmao. Almost time to hibernation Carlos!

#45 Posted by chernoalpha527 (121 posts) -

Lame I don't like the sound of any of it.