Bioshock Vita Almost Certainly Cancelled

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55299 posts) -

2K Games has declined to confirm whether or not its BioShock game for Vita has been cancelled following confirmation of the closure of BioShock studio Irrational Games this week.

Irrational Games head Ken Levine made the announcement Tuesday,confirming plans to disband the developer and start a new outfit with just 15 staff, while handing the BioShock franchise to publisher 2K Games.

The announcement has sparked fears that this could be the final nail in the coffin for the BioShock Vita game, which has been a questionable prospect since its announcement almost three years ago.

A 2K Games rep has told CVG today that the firm has 'no update' on the status of the game - a project which Levine himself last year admitted was yet to begin development as he struggled to foster a deal between Sony and Irrational Games parent firm Take-Two.

Levine told prying fans in July 2013 that he was still "trying to make a match" or, more specifically, "trying to get the 2 companies to sign off" on the project - more than two years after its clearly premature announcement.

Outed during Sony's E3 press conference in June 2011, BioShock on Vita was to be "its own thing being built from the ground up". Nothing but the BioShock logo was shown.

Levine said in October 2011 that Irrational could "potentially" outsource development of BioShock Vita, but only if the studio can ensure it'll still hit the quality mark the series is known for.

So, to review the facts:

• This game never existed as a game. It was shown off as a logo and nothing else
  • It never even started development, or fuck, pre-production
  • Levine is now not working on Bioshock
  • 2K Games, the owners of the franchise, can't provide an update on their own game
  • 2K considers Bioshock to be a low selling franchise
  • This game was planned for the Vita, where not a single game to date has even broken 1 million units sold

Yeah, this game is done. It's almost certainly cancelled, if it even existed.

Thankfully, Vita needs it less now than it did a year ago, but still.

#2 Posted by Ballroompirate (22183 posts) -

I didn't even know it was coming to Vita

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29157 posts) -

So,1 less multiplat going to the Vita?

Vita is dead,confirmed

#4 Posted by MrYaotubo (2592 posts) -

Vita is dead,confirmed

Wasn´t it supposed to be an original Bioshock and not a port of Infinite?

#5 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

How can you cancel something that never got off the ground? This is like a DMC PSP situation. Ken Levine has said he wanted to make an original Bioshock for the Vita but no deal for development was set by 2K and Sony.

MrYaotubo: It was going to be an original title. People here usually have no idea what they're talking about.

#6 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Well, that's a shame. Something like the 1st Bioshock broken up into acts/missions would be awesome on a handheld. Ah well..

#7 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -

The last thing Vita needs is more 40$ ports of games people have already played.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (55299 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@MonsieurX said:

Vita is dead,confirmed

Wasn´t it supposed to be an original Bioshock and not a port of Infinite?

It was an original game, built from the ground up for the system. As a matter of fact, I say as much in the OP.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

How can it be canceled if the game never existed ?

#10 Edited by SolidTy (42013 posts) -

I don't think it started, but whatever the case I bought my VITA FOR BIOSHOCK! I planned to finally get into the franchise with this VITA outing.

I never bought a game for VITA as I've been pining away for this Bioshock game. My vita collects dust and is a Bioshock playing machine only. I also never played a Bioshock, so I sure hope my wait pays off!

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (55299 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

The project existed. Now it doesn't.

Cancellation isn't exclusive to a game that is in active development.

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (42805 posts) -

I had no idea this was even spoken about.

#13 Posted by jake44 (1928 posts) -

I forgot about this entirely.

#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

The project existed. Now it doesn't.

Cancellation isn't exclusive to a game that is in active development.

They said something along the lines of 'we would like to have Bioshock on vita'

The project never existed, the game never existed, nobody was ever put to work on it.

#15 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

I'm more upset that BioShock in general is more or less cancelled now. Hope 2K revive it in some way, but even then it'll be salty because it's not helmed by Levine.

#16 Edited by Zassimick (6223 posts) -

It's disappointing that's for sure. An original title like Bioshock would have been an instant-buy to me.

Not like I don't have stuff to play though, especially on my Vita.

#17 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8278 posts) -

"2K considers Bioshock to be a low selling franchise" - then what the heck is high-selling franchise? Were they expecting Gears / Halo / COD audiences? As single player-centric games, their sales were still really, really high, probably higher than most Sony exclusives for example, and certainly more than Sony FPS offerings. If Metro can go on as a franchise, why can't BioShock? I don't really understand it.

#18 Edited by Ballroompirate (22183 posts) -

"2K considers Bioshock to be a low selling franchise" - then what the heck is high-selling franchise? Were they expecting Gears / Halo / COD audiences? As single player-centric games, their sales were still really, really high, probably higher than most Sony exclusives for example, and certainly more than Sony FPS offerings. If Metro can go on as a franchise, why can't BioShock? I don't really understand it.

Metro barely got it's sequel though

#19 Edited by Wasdie (49525 posts) -

The chances of it coming to the Vita were slim. They said they wanted to bring it to the Vita but they never actually put any effort towards it.