Bioshock infinite review changed, now has a 4 instead of 9.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo: You know most posters I own get over their hateboners by now. I'm impressed with my own ability at this point. How bad does it feel to have to use a 6 month late troll review as a defense?

Own ? First of all I was right.It got a 4 once all the shit, fake hype was gone... you are an idiot.You onwed yoursef just now.Second I destroyed you in a little troll thread remeber. You were weaving with your hands and crying like an infant "to mommy".It was hilarious. You are too easy.

Also 4 is a 4 is a 4. One of the worst scores this year.What a shame. I almost feel bad for the morons that think its a good game.

It is a good game, and a single digit on the Internet sure as hell won't change that.

Furthermore, GS still lists the previous 9.0 as the "official" score.

#202 Posted by MJPK (3361 posts) -

@longtonguecat:

@longtonguecat said:

@MJPK said:

This is clearly a flamebait review but I do agree that bioshock infinite is bad game, brilliant story but awful gameplay, bosses etc

The gameplay was a big improvement over the first BioShock though - so perhaps that needs to become a 3 now?

Bioshock came out in 2007 and it had better gameplay and enemys than infinite imo, the vigors were just bad/boring in infinite and the handymen were just annoying to fight and not to mention that stupid ghost boss battle you have to do 3 times.

The game was just bad imo, would have been much better as a rpg so your could enjoy the story more.

#203 Edited by tocool340 (20543 posts) -

Damn, that was someone actually reviewing Bioshock Infinite? I thought that 4 was someone reviewing new DLC that may have just been released for the game....

Garfield

Sig

#204 Posted by tocool340 (20543 posts) -
@the_bi99man said:

Damn. I guess I'm just good at it, then. And yeah, several of the vigors became pretty worthless, realistically. But, like I said, that's when you kind of have to make your own fun. Which, again, isn't the way it should be, but at least the option is still there. Bucking bronco and undertow were pretty much useless on their own, but using them when they weren't needed, and combining with other attacks was sweet. And yeah, Elizabeth's supply finding was just on a timer, but I got the hat that made enemies killed with devils kiss have a chance to drop salts. Combined with the.. shirt.. i think it was, that made devils kiss spread to other enemies when it killed someone, and I was damn near unstoppable at times, if I herded enough enemies close together, which isn't hard to do if you keep moving. It's actually a pretty similar strategy to what I use with both my Wizard and Barbarian in Diablo 3, now that I think of it. Huh... Interesting.

Ha, sounds like something I did with Twilight Princess in order to make that more fun. Instead of getting heart container after killing bosses, I leave them behind to stick with the three hearts capacity I start off with at the start of the game. And when I get the Blue Tunic, I keep that b!tch equipped at all times even if it means certain death if I get hit with an elemental attack. Makes the game a hell of a lot more entertaining than it would be otherwise as I really need to stay on guard at all times...

Sig

Garfield

#205 Posted by cainetao11 (17707 posts) -

Stupid, imo. So this game is on par with Lair, is what is suggested.

#206 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@ MJPK "The game was just bad imo, would have been

much better as a rpg so your could enjoy the story

more."

What do you mean it would've been better as an RPG ? That barely means anything. RPG isn't a genre anymore, its a formula, like open world or co-op.

#207 Edited by Stringerboy (7085 posts) -

Tom was spot on in that review. Although that score is way too low, Infinite deserves at least a 7 because it still had fantastic art and voice acting.

#208 Edited by Zensword (3885 posts) -

@longtonguecat said:

@MJPK said:

This is clearly a flamebait review but I do agree that bioshock infinite is bad game, brilliant story but awful gameplay, bosses etc

The gameplay was a big improvement over the first BioShock though - so perhaps that needs to become a 3 now?

I needs to become a 1 now

#210 Posted by MJPK (3361 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ MJPK "The game was just bad imo, would have been

much better as a rpg so your could enjoy the story

more."

What do you mean it would've been better as an RPG ? That barely means anything. RPG isn't a genre anymore, its a formula, like open world or co-op.

What I mean is it would be better off as a different genre because the best thing about the game is the story but u have to do 30 mins of crappy shooting gallery crap just to get the next bit of it, they have shown with bioshock 1 and infinite that they make average fps at best.

Bioshock one was saved by how good the plasmids where and they added to the story aswell, vigors added nothing to the story and most of them were bad so didn't help the game at all.

I really liked the story in infinite but its a shame you have to play a very average fps to get it.

#211 Edited by Vaasman (11480 posts) -

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo: You know most posters I own get over their hateboners by now. I'm impressed with my own ability at this point. How bad does it feel to have to use a 6 month late troll review as a defense?

Own ? First of all I was right.It got a 4 once all the shit, fake hype was gone... you are an idiot.You onwed yoursef just now.Second I destroyed you in a little troll thread remeber. You were weaving with your hands and crying like an infant "to mommy".It was hilarious. You are too easy.

Also 4 is a 4 is a 4. One of the worst scores this year.What a shame. I almost feel bad for the morons that think its a good game.

Oh dear. It seems in between my last post and now, you may have lost your entire grip on reality, as well as the ability to form posts, or spell. Tragic.

I suppose the euphoria of being able to circle jerk with a single review after all this time, regardless of how trollish or meaningless it is, was too much, and it burst the blood vessels in your brain.

#212 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

wtf is McShea trying to accomplish?

#213 Posted by sSubZerOo (43216 posts) -

I would have to agree.. Bioshock Infinite, is a over hyped piece of a garbage.. Subpar FPS, subpar plot that goes from a interesting ultra nationalist floating city to a stupid quantum leap plot line.. Making the two twists in the game extremely predictable.. The voice acting is good.. But seriously what major budget block buster game now a days doesn't have good voice acting?

#214 Edited by AznbkdX (3221 posts) -

That McShea fella is pretty interesting isn't he?

I haven't even played Infinite and I know it's no 4. That would pretty much mean its broken for the most part imo. I'm sure it has errors like any other game, but I really doubt its THAT bad.

Still, I give him props for being funny. :P

#215 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14431 posts) -

This excellent video pretty much sums up my exact thoughts on Infinite to a T. I really hope Frictional can do better this next time around. There's a reason this games been all but forgotten by the most diehard fans in recent discussions, barring Mcshea's rather humorous Revisiting to the original inflated Score.

#216 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

Well someone should go back and review The Last of US and give it AAAA because McShea can't spot a good game when he sees one.

#217 Edited by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This excellent video pretty much sums up my exact thoughts on Infinite to a T. I really hope Frictional can do better this next time around. There's a reason this games been all but forgotten by the most diehard fans in recent discussions, barring Mcshea's rather humorous Revisiting to the original inflated Score.

I watched about half way through the video you posted, and I just have to say. While both this and McShea's reviews are mostly negative towards the game, the video is BY FAR a much better review towards BSI. This one actually calls out the game mechanics unlike the thing McShea wrote which were all ideological pannings of what the game is supposed to do. Calling out the bs in a story is one thing, but saying something isn't to one's liking and therefore doesn't make any sense while wrapping that expression in a bunch of fancy words is the most childish thing to make yourself look professional, which was what McShea's re-review was doing. There was still some of that in the video, but that's not supposed to be professional so whatever, still a better review.

#218 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14431 posts) -

@PSdual_wielder said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I watched about half way through the video you posted, and I just have to say. While both this and McShea's reviews are mostly negative towards the game, the video is BY FAR a much better review towards BSI. This one actually calls out the game mechanics unlike the thing McShea wrote which were all ideological pannings of what the game is supposed to do. Calling out the bs in a story is one thing, but saying something isn't to one's liking and therefore doesn't make any sense while wrapping that expression in a bunch of fancy words is the most childish thing to make yourself look professional, which was what McShea's re-review was doing. There was still some of that in the video, but that's not supposed to be professional so whatever, still a better review.

Gamespot's "Professional reviews," have been amateur hour for a while now. You can find much higher quality and more indeph video's on Youtube. It's pretty sad how low this sites fallen below the poverty line when you look back on what this place was like from an editorial point when guys like Greg and Jeff were around.

Luckily Greg went onto actually making games instead of critiquing them, bastion was Awesome.

#220 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

^ Stop It !!!

#221 Posted by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

@beganoo: "You mad" is essentially this years submission of defeat. As soon as it's used you look like a moron and lose the argument.

#222 Edited by beganoo (1638 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@beganoo: "You mad" is essentially this years submission of defeat. As soon as it's used you look like a moron and lose the argument.

Hes actually "mad". Hes the biggest most irrational fanboy of that pice of shit game. He wont show it since hes delusional enough to think the "forum persona" is something people give two shits about but hes one salty fanboy.

#223 Posted by DanteVincent (25 posts) -

If gamespot is trying to be facebook with this new design at elast let us like coments, or give kudos like in sony's forums, there are some great ones here!

On thread, TomMcBait strikes again lol, seriously it's getting old already, i'd love to know which event of his life turned him from an average reviewer in on day to an attention hungry one in the other.

#224 Edited by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

@beganoo: Stop talking like an idiot.

#225 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

So Sonic 2006 is better than Bioshock Infinite. Get real

#226 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

@funkymonkey4710 said:

I am pretty sure it didn't officially change, it is merely a second opinion. Gamespot is going to now do multiple reviews for games to gauge other people's opinions.

#227 Posted by Vaasman (11480 posts) -

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

Oh dear. It seems in between my last post and now, you may have lost your entire grip on reality, as well as the ability to form posts, or spell. Tragic.

I suppose the euphoria of being able to circle jerk with a single review after all this time, regardless of how trollish or meaningless it is, was too much, and it burst the blood vessels in your brain.

You so mad bro.Love it.And it's not me that needs a reality check.You have been delusional since this game came out.

Btw you are alwasy going back to the spelling thing wen you get in a corner.Shows what a fucking shithead you are.:) Every single time wen you feel unsecure its the same all same old shtick. Wen I see you talking about my spelling

I consider that a win.Just an fyi.You have a pattern using that one.

Anyway lol at you pathetic damage control attempts.A review is a review.Deal with it sweety.I know the butthurt is major but still...

"BioShock Infinite is an incoherent mess that fails in both its shooting and its story."

True true...

Your gtoy being exposed for the trash it is and you along with it.Must be a bitch.

Go and play some actual good games dipshit.

Feeling better yet or would you like to keep going? I'll be in this thread some more you so can keep venting like a vindictive psychopath all day. I'll even read through it I promise!

#228 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23433 posts) -

It hasn't been changed, it's just a second opinion. But McShea isn't doing himself any favours at all giving a score that low. I'm fine with scores that low if they're applied across the board, but Gamespot is similar to most other sites in only reviewing games in the 7-9 range. You cant just randomly start pulling out 4s for games which are by no means significantly worse than all the previous games you were slapping 7s and 8s on.

#229 Posted by beganoo (1638 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

You so mad bro.Love it.And it's not me that needs a reality check.You have been delusional since this game came out.

Btw you are alwasy going back to the spelling thing wen you get in a corner.Shows what a fucking shithead you are.:) Every single time wen you feel unsecure its the same all same old shtick. Wen I see you talking about my spelling

Anyway lol at you pathetic damage control attempts.A review is a review.Deal with it sweety.I know the butthurt is major but still...

"BioShock Infinite is an incoherent mess that fails in both its shooting and its story."

True true...

Your gtoy being exposed for the trash it is and you along with it.Must be a bitch.

Feeling better yet or would you like to keep going? I'll be in this thread some more you so can keep venting like a vindictive psychopath all day. I'll even read through it I promise!

Game gets a 4, I call it shit = I'm a psychopath.Keep showing your stupidity off. :) Rubbing it in your face is just for lols.You so mad braaaa. What a shitty game tho, damn. Same reviewer gave TLOU more then double the score.Oh wait, you didnt play TLOUs did you ? :( I guees you play only shit games.

#230 Edited by Vaasman (11480 posts) -

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

True true...

Game gets a 4, I call it shit = I'm a psychopath.Keep showing your stupidity off. :) Rubbing it in your face is just for lols.You so mad braaaa. What a shitty game tho, damn. Same reviewer gave TLOU more then double the score.Oh wait, you didnt play TLOUs did you ? :( I guees you play only shit games.

It got a 4 from a single reviewer who is a known contrarian and admitted hipster, that doesn't even change the official score of the website, 6 months after the game released, and that somehow negates all other review scores that say it's a 94% at metacritic, 9/10 here, and one of the better games of this year. On top of that almost everything you've posted is directed at calling me mad and stupid, which is flattering, honestly, but does nothing to help your case in trying to look like you're in the right.

Yea I would say the psychopath label is pretty justified. Other than the score given by this one particular reviewer being a 4, none of what you've said has even the slightest basis in reality. I mean, this is about as low as you could have gone at this point. After those last threads and now having to resort to this, it's reeking of personal vendetta don't you think?

Maybe it's about time you were honest about this whole thing. You just hate me, and it actually has little to nothing to do with the game, right?

#231 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9047 posts) -

It feels like Mcshea reviewed this game poorly because of his personal expectations. Shouldn't a reviewer at least try to review a game on itsown merits? It doesn't seem practical for a review to get so personal. Isn't the point of a review to inform people about a game in a way so that the consumer can make a more educated decision when deciding to purchase? I feel that reviews should be more about us and less about the individual. I don't want to hear what you expected Mchea. Review what's there for us...

#233 Edited by beganoo (1638 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

True true...

It got a 4 from a single reviewer who is a known contrarian and admitted hipster, that doesn't even change the official score of the website, 6 months after the game released, and that somehow negates all other review scores that say it's a 94% at metacritic, 9/10 here, and one of the better games of this year. On top of that almost everything you've posted is directed at calling me mad and stupid, which is flattering, honestly, but does nothing to help your case in trying to look like you're in the right.

Yea I would say the psychopath label is pretty justified. Other than the score given by this one particular reviewer being a 4, none of what you've said has even the slightest basis in reality. I mean, this is about as low as you could have gone at this point. After those last threads and now having to resort to this, it's reeking of personal vendetta don't you think?

Maybe it's about time you were honest about this whole thing. You just hate me, and it actually has little to nothing to do with the game, right?

I think you have some kind of fetish about people hating you.I have the feeling that if I say I hate you will get extremely aroused and start doing naughty things to your body.Talking about psychopaths.Jesus Christ.

I've told you multiple times I don't hate you at all.

1.You can't hate some you don't know.

2.You can't hate someone you dont give two shits about.

3.Hate is a very strong , bad and treturous emotion and I try to stay as far from it as I can.Something very extreme needs to happen or "be" for me to hate.

For example I hate rapists and pedphiles.Do you really want to be on that list? You are one dumb self entitled egotistical f*ck bro.

Anyway I think you are an asshole but thats only because you are. :> Also your taste in games is shit but thats your problem.

100% serious now. The game got the the high scores ONLY because of the hype.Plenty of people have now pointed out the many many flaws of both sotry and gameplay.The way I see it a review made now is 100 times more legit thanks to the fact that the hype is gone.Few think of Infinite as GOTY. All you hear is TLOU and GTA5 and for a good reason. Infinte is shitty.Deal with it.

#234 Edited by Vaasman (11480 posts) -

@beganoo

So by the logic of your own post, since you cannot hate someone you don't know, and you hate rapists and pedophiles, you are acquainted with every rapist and pedophile on the planet? I really think you may want to calm down and think about your posts a bit.

Also if you don't hate me, then why did you call me out specifically instead of issuing a blanketing statement to all fans of the game? I think it's pretty clear to any outside observer that you dislike me at the very least. Or is it that you secretly love me and are having difficulty expressing your emotions?

"100% serious now. The game got the the high scores ONLY because of the hype.Plenty of people have now pointed out the many many flaws of both sotry and gameplay.The way I see it a review made now is 100 times more legit thanks to the fact that the hype is gone.Few think of Infinite as GOTY. All you hear is TLOU and GTA5 and for a good reason. Infinte is shitty.Deal with it."

None of that has any basis at all, and the question of whether it's goty or not has absolutely nothing to do with the score it got just now from this reviewer.

#235 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

Good lord, those long quotes...

#236 Edited by Vaasman (11480 posts) -

@rjdofu said:

Yep, no gifs in the sigs won't mean much if quote chains end up a page long each. I've already edited my last post since you mentioned it.

#237 Edited by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@rjdofu said:

Yep, no gifs in the sigs won't mean much if quote chains end up a page long each. I've already edited my last post since you mentioned it.

Ikr? And there's no word limits for sig either, which is just ridiculous. I saw a guy with a page-long sig before.lol.

#238 Posted by Zensword (3885 posts) -

@rjdofu said:

Yeah *sigh*

#239 Edited by AdobeArtist (22939 posts) -

Nothing's changed. McShae's score is a second review (they mentioned this). The score of 9 by Van Ord still stands.

#240 Edited by beganoo (1638 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo

So by the logic of your own post, since you cannot hate someone you don't know, and you hate rapists and pedophiles, you are acquainted with every rapist and pedophile on the planet? I really think you may want to calm down and think about your posts a bit.

Also if you don't hate me, then why did you call me out specifically instead of issuing a blanketing statement to all fans of the game? I think it's pretty clear to any outside observer that you dislike me at the very least. Or is it that you secretly love me and are having difficulty expressing your emotions?

"100% serious now. The game got the the high scores ONLY because of the hype.Plenty of people have now pointed out the many many flaws of both sotry and gameplay.The way I see it a review made now is 100 times more legit thanks to the fact that the hype is gone.Few think of Infinite as GOTY. All you hear is TLOU and GTA5 and for a good reason. Infinte is shitty.Deal with it."

None of that has any basis at all, and the question of whether it's goty or not has absolutely nothing to do with the score it got just now from this reviewer.

Its an example.I (can) hate rapists and pedophiles as opposed to idiots on formus.To really hate someone I need to know him.

I call you out because you are the flag ship Infinte fanboy on these boards.

Talking about the general shift of opinion about this trash game.Many not considering it GOTY is just an example.

GO AND EAT SHIT YOU MOTHER F*CKER I HATE YOU SOOO MUCHH AGRRRRR...

Just kiding.Pull you pants up damn. :P

#241 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

He has his points, but the score didn't really match up to his review. Seems like he just wants to be a "harsh reviewer" like Jim Sterlin and Zero Punctuation.

#242 Edited by Vaasman (11480 posts) -

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo

Its an example.I (can) hate rapists and pedophiles as opposed to idiots on formus.To really hate someone I need to know him.

Talking about the general shift of opinion about this trash game.Many not considering it GOTY is just an example.

GO AND EAT SHIT YOU MOTHER F*CKER I HATE YOU SOOO MUCHH ARRRRR...

But the general opinion didn't shift at all, those are simply newer games so people are talking about them regularly as candidates. Even if one of those wins, that has nothing to do with whether or not Bioshock Infinite is a great game or not. People who liked it still like it and people who didn't, didn't.

In fact, TLOU isn't praised much compared to GTA5 at this point, does that mean TLOU is a terrible game? If a single review says TLOU isn't that great, does that mean all other reviews were victims of hype and it shouldn't be GOTY? TLOU got a 6/10 at Quarter to Three, does that mean that's the score of the game and every other review is based purely on hype? What about GTAV? Escapist gave it a 7/10, so I guess it's a 7/10 game, hardly GOTY worthy. Sorry, but like I said, none of your comments have any basis in reality. Getting a single low score from a website now means absolutely nothing, and this wasn't even from a website really, since it wasn't the official score. It's still a highly praised and scored game, nothing will change that, no matter how much you wish it would.

And again, apparently you know all the rapist and pedophiles in the world. Your logic, not mine. How can you really say you hate them if you don't know any?

#243 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1295 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

Nothing's changed. McShae's score is a second review (they mentioned this). The score of 9 by Van Ord still stands.

The voice of reason.

#244 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

FailSpot

#245 Posted by Cyberdot (3538 posts) -

I do think the game is overrated by hype, and I would score the game at 6. The quality is there, but it gets boring quite fast.

#246 Posted by SteXmaN (450 posts) -

@Cyberdot: I'm replaying it for the 4th time now and i'm not bored,strange...

#247 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26574 posts) -

im sorry but a 4 is for a game thats a broken heap of a mess. not for something you didint like.

#248 Posted by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

@finalfantasy94: Exactly the point. Putting a game you personally didn't like in the same territory as Big Rigs, considering the effort put in to it and the graphics alone, is laughable. It's what anonymous unpaid people do when rating games. It doesn't achieve anything other than make you look stupid.

I mean, I don't love sports games in general. Everyone I know is obsessed with FIFA but it's not for me. Am I going to review it a 4? Nah. Because I know the effort it had and the achievement it is. Not to mention the fact that for fans of the sports games, it's right up there in quality.

Giving it a 4 would be the actions of a fanboy not a paid journalist. O Shea just isn't credible enough.

#249 Edited by beganoo (1638 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo said:

@Vaasman said:

@beganoo

GO AND EAT SHIT YOU MOTHER F*CKER I HATE YOU SOOO MUCHH ARRRRR...

But the general opinion didn't shift at all, those are simply newer games so people are talking about them regularly as candidates. Even if one of those wins, that has nothing to do with whether or not Bioshock Infinite is a great game or not. People who liked it still like it and people who didn't, didn't.

In fact, TLOU isn't praised much compared to GTA5 at this point, does that mean TLOU is a terrible game? If a single review says TLOU isn't that great, does that mean all other reviews were victims of hype and it shouldn't be GOTY? TLOU got a 6/10 at Quarter to Three, does that mean that's the score of the game and every other review is based purely on hype? What about GTAV? Escapist gave it a 7/10, so I guess it's a 7/10 game, hardly GOTY worthy. Sorry, but like I said, none of your comments have any basis in reality. Getting a single low score from a website now means absolutely nothing, and this wasn't even from a website really, since it wasn't the official score. It's still a highly praised and scored game, nothing will change that, no matter how much you wish it would.

And again, apparently you know all the rapist and pedophiles in the world. Your logic, not mine. How can you really say you hate them if you don't know any?

Nice damage controll but we ALL know how on gamespot gamespots scores matter only.Its mod approved. So fine, lets take the 4 score and the 9 score /2 = 6.5. Still a pretty shitty score but about right. I'd give it a 6.5 tbh. Slightly above avrage becasue the first 1/3 of the game was pretty good before it all went to shit.

As far as the rapist and pedophiles.Not gonna bother explain it again.. I can tell bad wording if all you have against me now. LOL :D nitpick all day, you know very well what I mean.

#250 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@lightleggy said:

Seems Mcshea didnt liked the game

Wait...isn't McShea's review in this instance just a user review like anyone of us could make? It's just him giving his opinion on the game as an user/fan, not as a reviewer, since the main page for Bioshock Infinite still show's the 9.0 review score. Why is everybody so worried again...? :/

Some people still aren't understanding the new "second opinion" system is GS is starting to use. With big name/heavily hyped games, they're going to be doing second, unofficial reviews, from other staff members. The original review is still the official one, the one that shows on the main page, and the one that represents GS on Metacritic, and so on.