Bioshock infinite review changed, now has a 4 instead of 9.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3219 Posts

Wow a 4? That's pretty much saying that the game is almost broken. Ether way more rage he will cause here LOL

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

I think the Score is alittle Low but I agree with the written review 100%. I was saying these certain points months ago but people were still stuck in the honey moon period, it was a overhyped game that didn't live up to its prequel.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@Blake135:

@Blake135 said:

I think the Score is alittle Low but I agree with the written review 100%. I was saying these certain points months ago but people were still stuck in the honey moon period, it was a overhyped game that didn't live up to its prequel.

Actualy Infinite is the prequel, what you actually mean is predecessor.

But you need to make it plural, predecessors, because Bioshock 2 is a far better game than Infinite.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Did they do a 2nd opinion/review for other games or is Infinite just the first one to get it?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@rjdofu said:

A 4, are you fvcking serious? That's a score for games that fundamentally bad, something like nonfunctional gunplay or full of glitches.

That's stupid as f*ck. You can make a game not broken, be poorly designed as hell. A tedious game is a bad game. It doesn't need to be loaded with glitches and bugs to be considered poor/bad/not worth spitting on.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

@texasgoldrush:

Funny enough while I didn't like the story of Bioshock 2 I agree with you, Bioshock 2 improved alot from Bioshock 1, sadly Infinite took 1 step forward then 2 steps back.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@Blake135 said:

@texasgoldrush:

Funny enough while I didn't like the story of Bioshock 2 I agree with you, Bioshock 2 improved alot from Bioshock 1, sadly Infinite took 1 step forward then 2 steps back.

Bioshock 2's story was great....the big difference from the first game is that instead of exploring a place like you were in the first game, you are exploring a Pairbond. It a far smaller focus. It also has a far better ending than the first game.

Minerva's den is th epeak of the series.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@kingoflife9 said:

Its back to being a 9. lol some people thought it was actually a 4

No, McShea's review is still there and it's still a 4

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@rjdofu said:

A 4, are you fvcking serious? That's a score for games that fundamentally bad, something like nonfunctional gunplay or full of glitches.

That's stupid as f*ck. You can make a game not broken, be poorly designed as hell. A tedious game is a bad game. It doesn't need to be loaded with glitches and bugs to be considered poor/bad/not worth spitting on.

Cut the bullshit, it's fvcking clear that Tom was trying to nitpick and shit on the game to prove how damn different he is from others. Tom's lack of an understanding about the twist just reflex his knowledge about the game in general. Nitpicking the gameplay, complaining about how the main character got ressurected once he falls in battle (WTF), while giving shit like Beyond 2 Souls a free pass. And you calling me stupid, you're full of it dude.

Yeah sure, he can criticize however the fvck he wants, but giving the game a 4/10? Give me a fvcking break, how many games that on this caliber, with excellent art direction, great atmosphere, decent gunplay, excellent sound direction, got a 4/10 aka. a POOR game? How the hell can he come to that conclusion when he can't even support his arguments without contradicting himself or showing how ignorance he is about the game? And how many broken ass games, filled with terrible mechanics & story etc, got the same score. You can argue that different reviewer different score, but fvck, if you're gonna post it on a gaming review site, the scale has to be the same. If that's not hits fishing, I don't know what is.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#61 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

@rjdofu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@rjdofu said:

Cut the bullshit, it's fvcking clear that Tom was trying to nitpick and shit on the game to prove how damn different he is from others. Tom's lack of an understanding about the twist just reflex his knowledge about the game in general. Nitpicking the gameplay, complaining about how the main character got ressurected once he falls in battle (WTF), while giving shit like Beyond 2 Souls a free pass. And you calling me stupid, you're full of it dude.

Yeah sure, he can criticize however the fvck he wants, but giving the game a 4/10? Give me a fvcking break, how many games that on this caliber, with excellent art direction, great atmosphere, decent gunplay, excellent sound direction, got a 4/10 aka. a POOR game? How the hell can he come to that conclusion when you can't even support your arguments without contradicting himself or showing how ignorance he is about the game? And how many broken ass games, filled with terrible mechanics & story etc, got the same score. You can argue that different reviewer different score, but fvck, if you're gonna post it on a gaming review site, the scale has to be the same. If that's not hits fishing, I don't know what is.

Pretty much this. Blatant attempt to generate controversy.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Technically the review and score wasn't changed. Just... another thing was added.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#63 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Tom's opinion is addes to the reviews that's all. I like Tom but here he tries to get attention...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#64 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Even with the combat being what it is, it wasn't an unenjoyable game... I had a better time with it than with most of the other games this year...
I've never seen a reviewer who disagrees more with my opinion on games.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#65 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Animal-Mother:

Yeah it did... I don;'t see how anyone likes the game as it was the story was complete crap and the powers were nowhere near as fun as in Bioshock 1 or even 2. I was going to trade my copy in but gamestop would only give me a $7 bucks for it...so nah.... stuck in my collection... and this from someone who rarely trades games.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Nice, I hope we start seeing more second looks now. Hell, maybe even extending farther back to older classics to see if they really held up through the time.

BTW, it's been mentioned before (by McShea himself) that the one who writes the review never decides the score.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Good, the more people see Bioshock Infinite for what it truly is, the better.

And it looks like the DLC will rape the franchise, like Lucas and Spielberg raped Indiana Jones.

And how Bioware raped Mass Effect.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@rjdofu said:

Yeah sure, he can criticize however the fvck he wants, but giving the game a 4/10? Give me a fvcking break, how many games that on this caliber, with excellent art direction, great atmosphere, decent gunplay, excellent sound direction, got a 4/10 aka. a POOR game? How the hell can he come to that conclusion when he can't even support his arguments without contradicting himself or showing how ignorance he is about the game? And how many broken ass games, filled with terrible mechanics & story etc, got the same score. You can argue that different reviewer different score, but fvck, if you're gonna post it on a gaming review site, the scale has to be the same. If that's not hits fishing, I don't know what is.

Why not explain what's wrong with his review with reasons instead of acting like an angry twat who's mad someone has a different opinion? His point of being resurrected in battle is that there's no penalty and you start off very near where you died. He didn't like it then and he doesn't like it now, because it removes difficulty. Vigors really had no reason to be in Columbia, and the reason they exist at all is pretty lame and only served to put Plasmid-like powers in the game. Can't comment on Beyond because I haven't played it yet.

Good graphics and sound cannot make up for the lack of interesting gameplay, level design, or enemy encounters. These shortcomings are to be expected when a game is stuck in development hell and rushed to completion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Well, I understand his points, but it's nowhere near 4/10, albeit it was a very boring, uninspired game in gameplay terms. It made look its previous iterations like Rainbow Six in comparison, when it came to depth of combat. It also failed to capitalize on the richness of the world it tried to present. Not only in terms of NPC interactions or your choices (illusion of choices more like), but also in gameplay mechanics, even Skylines seemed more like gimmicks after the very first time. They've gotten old very quickly. Besides, very little variety in vigors, ugprades in form of gear and infusions didn't add anything significant. Overall too little variety in gameplay, only the prison level was interesting as it made you sneak past sentries, and reminded me of Thief with its spooky atmosphere, but it was too little too late. The storyline was very fine, though. I'd rate it about 7/10. Overall, probably the biggest disappointment in the entire generation!

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I think Infinite is awesome. I don't understand the hate it gets sometimes.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Wow 1.1 higher than Bomberman Act Zero

And Bomberman Act Zero was officially named Gamespot's Worst Game of 2006 in their end of the year awards..

What a joke of a "review" this is, Tom should be ashamed of himself

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#72 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

4/10?! That's way too harsh... Sure, it might be overrated, but that doesn't make it a "poor" game.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

This is about the same i would score it, easily the most overrated game from this year.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By rjdofu
@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@rjdofu said:

Why not explain what's wrong with his review with reasons instead of acting like an angry twat who's mad someone has a different opinion? His point of being resurrected in battle is that there's no penalty and you start off very near where you died. He didn't like it then and he doesn't like it now, because it removes difficulty. Vigors really had no reason to be in Columbia, and the reason they exist at all is pretty lame and only served to put Plasmid-like powers in the game. Can't comment on Beyond because I haven't played it yet.

Good graphics and sound cannot make up for the lack of interesting gameplay, level design, or enemy encounters. These shortcomings are to be expected when a game is stuck in development hell and rushed to completion.

And that guarantee a 4? Yeah fvcking right :roll:. I've already given my reasons why his "different opinion" is not simply the case, it was his blatant attempt to nitpick and downplay the game, and ultimately giving it a bad score in order to generate attention and hits.

His comment about the plot twist being randomly thrown into the ending instead of being built up throughout the game is plain wrong, anyone who plays the game and actually pays attention knows that hints from characters, audio logs, environments etc. are implemented into the game, setting up for the twist. He can say that it's bad, and I'll have no problem with it, but denying the existence of the build up is terrible. He totally contradicts himself by complaining about being resurrected in battle when the same thing happens in Beyond 2 souls, where there's no penalty or even worse, no sense of danger whatsoever. In addition, that "game"'s gameplay is as far from a game as you can imagine. Before you throwing some BS like "but you haven't played it", you don't need to buy or play the game yourself to know the fact that Beyond is first, and interactive movie, and second, has extremely linear and simplistic gameplay (even less than that of Heavy Rain), NEARLY to the point of non-existence.

Back to the MAIN point that i was always trying to make since the beginning, the game is NOT a 4/10 aka. a poor game. What is your definition of a 4 on a scale of 10? If a game that at the very least has a decent story, a functional mechanics, good visual and sound, but lacks "interesting" gameplay, level design etc etc.can get a 4/10, then what is the criteria for a 7/10?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#75 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Wow, it's actually a real review. The old one is still here: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-review/1900-6405506/

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

@AmayaPapaya said:

It's a polarizing game. I hate it, but others seem to love it.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#77 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

You may hate it, but if you are to be completely honest, there is no way you would give this game a 4/10. You may dislike it, but it is not a broken game, which is what a 4 would suggest. It atleast is a 6/10.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#78 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@lightleggy:

@lightleggy said:

I guess it's fair to ask for a new SMG2 and GTA IV review then.

I actually see SMG2 getting re-reviewed if they are keeping this up.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I thought the game was overrated personally but giving it 4/10? Seems like someones just trying to create controversy.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 rjdofu

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

You may hate it, but if you are to be completely honest, there is no way you would give this game a 4/10. You may dislike it, but it is not a broken game, which is what a 4 would suggest. It atleast is a 6/10.

Exactly.

gamefreak215jd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#81 gamefreak215jd
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

Part of the multiple reviews for popular games feature.

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#82 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

I haven't finished Infinite yet, but so far it's better than the original in every way.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#83  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

This is the new change in GameSpot, from now on a game can have multiple reviews and multiple opinions instead of 1 which is pretty interesting.. when i first played Bioshock infinite it was straight up 9+ out of 10 for me but as of right now after 9 or so months passed the game is mealy 7/10 worthy.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

PS3/XBOX360 version 9>>>>>>>>>>>>>PC version only 4.lol

Consoles master race.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#85  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

This is the new change in GameSpot, from now on a game can have multiple reviews and multiple opinions instead of 1 which is pretty interesting.. when i first played Bioshock infinite it was straight up 9+ out of 10 for me but as of right now after 9 or so months passed the game is mealy 7/10 worthy.

I agree.I have play Bioshock infinite.......but Bioshock 1 and 2 are a lot better.Bioshock infinite story is meh and the end is just a mess.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

My lord gamespot actually got even shitier.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Holy shit, i didn't expect that. Is this for real?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I don't think Tom realizes what the point of a scoring system is, If Infinite is a 4/10 then the majority of games are a 3/10 and no game will ever be able to score higher than a 7/10.

More importantly what's the point of a lower scoring secondary review or maybe a higher scoring secondary review?... Simple its a cop-out. That way users from both sides of the opinion spectrum will be voiced and feel valued in my opinion its takes away the value of a review site. This is to me sites nail in the coffin. I will stay on it for the forums but aside from that I see no use for this site.

There is no point in a scoring system. It seems you're adding way too much value to the score. It's obvious that some people liked the game and some people didn't (just read through the comments in this thread). There are reasons for that and showing perspectives from different ends of the spectrum can be very informative for both sides. Both sides are as right as they are wrong, because we are talking about subjective experiences of entertainment products. Multiple perspectives (both positive and negative) allow you to make a more extensive list of the pros and cons and see which aspects apply to your taste. The score is completely irrelevant. It adds nothing to the content of the review itself. It only leads to rage and trolling. Gaming websites should drop scores alltogether, so we can delete this whole thread and start discussing the actual arguments.

Kevin and Tom are probably still arguing over Infinite, but they aren't arguing about the score, they're arguing about the game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22660 Posts

Um this is clearly a mistake... The game got a 9

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#90  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

@TheEroica: Nah it´s real,it´s sort of a second opinion thing GS has going on now apparently.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#91 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Arach666 said:

@TheEroica: Nah it´s real,it´s sort of a second opinion thing GS has going on now apparently.

Which, to be honest, I'm in support of. Game Informer used to do it and so did Nintendo Power. It's always interesting to see differing views from the same outlet (even if one says something stupid).

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#92  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I gave the game a 7/10 but I agreed with all his points. Its just an over-hyped game.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#93 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@funkymonkey4710: Yay, now three people can grossly underscore major titles instead of just one!

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Gotta get those hits.

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

Lol at Mcshea.

Anyway,this could be great news.Now just find someone who enjoyed TLoU more and give it the 10 it deserved.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#96 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@PhazonBlazer: I agree with the review and the score.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22660 Posts

@nintendoboy16: sure... I like it to when there is some legitimacy to calling a game that is pretty much adored, "poor" .

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Jesus, whatever about not liking a game but 4/10 seems way too low. A lot of the stuff he's saying is correct but not enough to bring it down THAT much. It's still a very enjoyable experience overall

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

wow the site redesign is trash

The game was a disappointment but a 4? obvious troll for clicks is obvious

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#100 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

This isn't a review it's the kind of hyperbole I'd expect from some froth mouthed fanboy.

The graphics setting and scale alone deserve more than a 7.

This is the problem with the internet. Advertising is based on page hits, and uncontroversial opinions don't get as many so people have to post unpopular opinions to the detriment of the credibility of the site.

This has been posted for page hits and feedbackula same as the GTA review. Tom is an idiot.