Biggest franchise destroyed this generation?

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by jg4xchamp (48158 posts) -
Final Fantasy for me and I don't think it's even close. 12 was a good game last gen and since then: 13 was sh1ttastic, and 14 was launched way before it was even close to being finished. Square Enix in general as a dev has fallen off this gen outside of releasing The World Ends With You. All the other games at least had good outings. Ninja Gaiden still had NG2, Resident Evil still has RE 5 and Revelations(disappointments, but not outright bad games), and you can say that for others as well. For Final Fantasy? I would disagree with the notion that it had a single good outing this gen.
#102 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

counter strike and haloHeil68

explain, cow.

#103 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7294 posts) -

Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and COD.

#104 Posted by Spartan070 (16352 posts) -
Tony Hawk? It was super popular last gen. Honorable mention: Ninja Gaiden
#105 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26515 posts) -

Final Fantasy for me and I don't think it's even close. 12 was a good game last gen and since then: 13 was sh1ttastic, and 14 was launched way before it was even close to being finished. Square Enix in general as a dev has fallen off this gen outside of releasing The World Ends With You. All the other games at least had good outings. Ninja Gaiden still had NG2, Resident Evil still has RE 5 and Revelations(disappointments, but not outright bad games), and you can say that for others as well. For Final Fantasy? I would disagree with the notion that it had a single good outing this gen. jg4xchamp

You can swallow RE5 but you cant 13. RE5 I can say was fun but I cant help but looked back at it and go WTF! FF13 while not better then previous outings left me with no emotion of anger or anoyance. Its not a bad game.

#106 Posted by sonic1564 (3265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"]counter strike and haloPrimordialous

explain, cow.

Here's a prediction

"MS HAD DROPPED CORE AND WENT OVER 9000% CASUAL."

#107 Posted by ThePCDivineRace (9 posts) -
Dead Space 3 and its cod-esque gameplay.
#108 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
no way that you could list just one FEAR tony hawk (personally depressed about this) metroid prime guitar hero
#109 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Halo 4 is a solid entry in the series. With improved visuals and sound design, new enemies also bring an extra layer of depth to each battle, more focused storytelling, bringing a level of humanization to Master Chief and a level of depth to the relationship between Cortanna and him, something I very much enjoyed. The new mechs were a fun addition, adding even more vairety to the vehicle selection, although I do miss the chopper from Halo 3. The new weapons may not by any means be unique, they are however useful and also visually striking compared to the Covenant weaponry.

Multiplayer has taken a few turns, but not necassarily for the worst. Spartan Ops is a nice addition and does not harm the core value of the title, it's a step in a different direction and one I do not entirely agree with, atleast in its current implementation. Multiplayer as a whole is still as fun as ever, a few changes might anger some but I have not found them to detract or hurt my enjoyment in any meaningful way.

The campaign however is quite repetitive, something that I cannot overlook. But my biggest issue is one with not just Halo 4, but the series in general, the levels are bland, lifeless, they do not feel lived in. These spaces feel like they were created and designed by a combat designer as a testing area for enemy A.I and balancing rather than a believable playspace that the player can become invested in. This is quite prominent throughout the series but moreso in Halo 4 than any other entry outside of the original.

But anyone who ignorantly bashes and berates this title is nothing more than a biased, naive and bitter fanboy. Halo 4 is a solid title in the franchise and is unmistakably a Halo title in nearly every conceivable way. The hyperbolic statements made by some in this thread are ridiculous to say the least.

#110 Posted by handssss (1836 posts) -

Halo 4 is a solid entry in the series. With improved visuals and sound design, new enemies also bring an extra layer of depth to each battle, more focused storytelling, bringing a level of humanization to Master Chief and a level of depth to the relationship between Cortanna and him, something I very much enjoyed. The new mechs were a fun addition, adding even more vairety to the vehicle selection, although I do miss the chopper from Halo 3. The new weapons may not by any means be unique, they are however useful and also visually striking compared to the Covenant weaponry.

Multiplayer has taken a few turns, but not necassarily for the worst. Spartan Ops is a nice addition and does not harm the core value of the title, it's a step in a different direction and one I do not entirely agree with, atleast in its current implementation. Multiplayer as a whole is still as fun as ever, a few changes might anger some but I have not found them to detract or hurt my enjoyment in any meaningful way.

The campaign however is quite repetitive, something that I cannot overlook. But my biggest issue is one with not just Halo 4, but the series in general, the levels are bland, lifeless, they do not feel lived in. These spaces feel like they were created and designed by a combat designer as a testing area for enemy A.I and balancing rather than a believable playspace that the player can become invested in. This is quite prominent throughout the series but moreso in Halo 4 than any other entry outside of the original.

But anyone who ignorantly bashes and berates this title is nothing more than a biased, naive and bitter fanboy. Halo 4 is a solid title in the franchise and is unmistakably a Halo title in nearly every conceivable way. The hyperbolic statements made by some in this thread are ridiculous to say the least.

contracts420
ok. now since MP is the main problem with the game, let's talk about it more than spartan ops since that's just an extra co-op mode. random drops and classes don't belong in call of duty and the maps really aren't that good either. but seriously, it is so incredibly stupid that you can get a few kills and get a crappy grenade drop, but the other team has people all getting power weapons, that's just not fair at all.
#111 Posted by vitonemesis (3149 posts) -

After seven years we are almost done with the seventh generation of consoles.  What game franchise do you think ended up suffering the most?

My vote goes to Resident Evil.  One of the greatest franchises in video game history and it basically introduced survival horror to the masses.  The story was always garbage

Fizzman
Stopped reading there, just another noob of the series.
#112 Posted by jg4xchamp (48158 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Final Fantasy for me and I don't think it's even close. 12 was a good game last gen and since then: 13 was sh1ttastic, and 14 was launched way before it was even close to being finished. Square Enix in general as a dev has fallen off this gen outside of releasing The World Ends With You. All the other games at least had good outings. Ninja Gaiden still had NG2, Resident Evil still has RE 5 and Revelations(disappointments, but not outright bad games), and you can say that for others as well. For Final Fantasy? I would disagree with the notion that it had a single good outing this gen. finalfantasy94

You can swallow RE5 but you cant 13. RE5 I can say was fun but I cant help but looked back at it and go WTF! FF13 while not better then previous outings left me with no emotion of anger or anoyance. Its not a bad game.

RE 5 doesn't waste my time, it's just supremely stupid. Plus the age old "any game is fun with a buddy, any game" covers how that game can be entertaining.

FF13? 20 hours of disrespectful pacing.

So yes I can tolerate an action game with middle of the pack combat encounters with coop vs a jrpg that wastes 20 hours of my life and makes me feel like I got nowhere. That game bored me out right. For me I'd say it's a bad game.

#113 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

handssss

ok. now since MP is the main problem with the game, let's talk about it more than spartan ops since that's just an extra co-op mode. random drops and classes don't belong in call of duty and the maps really aren't that good either. but seriously, it is so incredibly stupid that you can get a few kills and get a crappy grenade drop, but the other team has people all getting power weapons, that's just not fair at all.

Wether you believe it belongs or not, it does not harm the title in any way. It simply gives the player choice in their playstyle rather than scrounging and fighting others for specific neutral weapons. Players that earn ordinance drops are not necessarily given a short term advantage, but they aren't necessarily hindered either. This keeps things balanced but brings a new element of surprise to each players experience.

Think about COD, players who do well are rewarded with more ways in which to do well, throwing off the balance of each match. In Halo 4 you may do well and get rewarded, but there is no certainty that you will get anything of use. You could find a player doing well who may even put themselves in a bad position by calling in one of these. I find it to be more of a risk/reward situation. However I am not by any means saying that the game or any of the underlying systems are perfect, I am however saying that these really do little or nothing to detract from the overall package.

Most gamers will nitpick a fantastic game into mediocrity simply due to their incessant hyperbolic hatred towards a title (usually over some small alterations or changes) they deem unfit to join the ranks of their favourite franchise or simply because they don't like said game as much as their personal subjective favourite. This seems to be exactly what others are doing to Halo 4 in this thread.

#114 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16441 posts) -

Halo might have been ruined for a few old fans, but I think it managed to bring in a lot of new ones. I liked all of the Halo games, but Halo 4 is the one I consider amazing.

#115 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5129 posts) -

Devil May Cry. Capcom seamed to destroy alot of their franchises this gen.. good job guys.

#116 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21727 posts) -
Resident Evil.
#117 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

Halo pretty much went to the dogs.

#118 Posted by Ballroompirate (22930 posts) -

Final Fantasy, actually the series died with the release of FF10 but I just hate what SE has done to the series.

#119 Posted by MrYaotubo (2694 posts) -

Halo for sure,as well as Final Fantasy,Call of Duty and Resident Evil.

I would've said DMC as well but after playing it the new one is probably the best in the series.

#120 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Pretty much all of them.  Game developers are not advancing at the rate they should be, and as a result we still have the same games we've had for years.

#121 Posted by Stringerboy (7028 posts) -

Halo multiplayer.

#122 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Mercenaries. The first was so good, then they come out with that second...blahNovotine
Gosh that still guts me. The first Mercs was an outstanding game, and downright better then the GTA and other open world muckabout games as far as I'm concerned. And hell, it had actual sandbox gameplay in tackling missions - GTAs didn't have a fraction of it. And then the second. Just wow. The fuel collection, the environment, the wacky tone, and the general ugliness of it. It just wasn't good. Was so damn psyched for it at the time.
#123 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

Halo, FF and RE....

... you know it's true.

#124 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2555 posts) -

Resident Evil, Final fantasy, Call of Duty, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell to name a few. :(

#125 Posted by Planeforger (15730 posts) -

I don't really get the RE hate.

For all their faults, Resident Evil 5 was still an outstanding co-op game with tons of replayability, and Resident Evil 6 was unpolished, but featured the best gameplay in the series (by far) and the occasional moment of greatness. Sure, they're no longer in the style of Alone in the Dark, but...it's still a solid series.

Anyway, hm...I guess Final Fantasy may have suffered the most this gen.

We've had, what, two and a half FF games this entire gen (not counting remakes)? Of those, FF13 felt like a large step backwards for the series, FF13-2 was an unecessary sequel, and FF14 bombed hard.

I'm sure that there are worse off series than that (Prince of Persia, perhaps?), but it's the first that comes to mind at the moment.

#126 Posted by Maroxad (8273 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls. There are some F2P mmos that are better than Skyrim in every way (save for lore, but that lore came from the series when it was still good). Oblivion was terrible as well.

HOW THE HELL ARE THERE MORE VOTES FOR HALO THEN DIABLO 3 ? 

i would also mention Command and conquer and resident evil. 

MW2ismygame

Diablo 3 may be plagued with poor design choices and awful writing. But at least it has improved quite a bit since launch. It still has ways to go, but it isnt anywhere near as bad as it was last year.

#127 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6335 posts) -

Final Fantasy, without a doubt

#128 Posted by sukraj (22826 posts) -

ninja gaiden

#129 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7798 posts) -

Halo.

3 was still aweosme, everything after 3 sucked really hard.

#130 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -

uh.. Call of Duty?  I can't think of anything that's been r*ped as hard as that series.  I believe Call of Duty 2 came out around the start of this 'generation', and look where it is now.  Disgusting :O

#131 Posted by Fizzman (9882 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

After seven years we are almost done with the seventh generation of consoles.  What game franchise do you think ended up suffering the most?

My vote goes to Resident Evil.  One of the greatest franchises in video game history and it basically introduced survival horror to the masses.  The story was always garbage

vitonemesis
Stopped reading there, just another noob of the series.

The story was always garbage and never made any sense. The biggest mistake RE6 made was putting an emphasis on the story. You are delusional if you think the story in RE was good. It was interesting, but not good.
#132 Posted by Armoured_Mage (766 posts) -

Command and Conquer, CoD, Diablo

#133 Posted by super600 (30667 posts) -

Watching Halo, Resident Evil, and Ninja Gaiden jump off a cliff was pretty sad.

DarkLink77

Halo was a slight drop while the other two were massive.

#134 Posted by super600 (30667 posts) -

[QUOTE="handssss"][QUOTE="contracts420"]

contracts420

Wether you believe it belongs or not, it does not harm the title in any way. It simply gives the player choice in their playstyle rather than scrounging and fighting others for specific neutral weapons. Players that earn ordinance drops are not necessarily given a short term advantage, but they aren't necessarily hindered either. This keeps things balanced but brings a new element of surprise to each players experience.

Think about COD, players who do well are rewarded with more ways in which to do well, throwing off the balance of each match. In Halo 4 you may do well and get rewarded, but there is no certainty that you will get anything of use. You could find a player doing well who may even put themselves in a bad position by calling in one of these. I find it to be more of a risk/reward situation. However I am not by any means saying that the game or any of the underlying systems are perfect, I am however saying that these really do little or nothing to detract from the overall package.

Most gamers will nitpick a fantastic game into mediocrity simply due to their incessant hyperbolic hatred towards a title (usually over some small alterations or changes) they deem unfit to join the ranks of their favourite franchise or simply because they don't like said game as much as their personal subjective favourite. This seems to be exactly what others are doing to Halo 4 in this thread.

When I get ordinance weapons sometimes I can be killed the instant I attempt to use the weapon.

#135 Posted by spike6958 (4794 posts) -
Final Fantasy, some might argue that it's downfall started with XII, but this gen it's just been running on life support.
#136 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16614 posts) -

Call of Duty. It was awesome before this gen and 2 was still great.

Now its turned into 4hour singleplayer, online perkfest and unlocking the next things, where if you want to get the full experience for only 110$ per year. Makes me think back of COD 1 &UO and they were just way better value for less money.

It also set the standard for most online FPS these days (they all have to have unlocks and regen health, 2 weapon limit, ...)

Games copying it too much lose their identity and perhaps even die like Medal of Honor, which was another big franchise before this gen. Funny how it copied COD so much since Infinity Ward/Acti made COD as a competitor to MOH:AA.

#137 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Resident Evil though mostly because of 6.

If Lords of Shadow 2 and that 3DS castevania game suck though then I'm willing to say Castlevania. I also kinda want to say Silent Hill though I need to give Downpour another chance.

#138 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71869 posts) -
[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Because Halo 4 is worse than Diablo III. True story.

i am not fan of Halo, but i refuse to believe that Halo is the franchise that has become the worst one this gen

same. I agree it is....different than others in the franchise but with so many other ripe choices for the septic tank awards, this one does not even deserve to be on the list.

now i have played diablo 2 and saw my friends play 3, those were totally different games, and i have no idea why they used so many years on something that became something so bad. I played all of the first 3 Halo's because of friends. Now i didn't like any of them, but to deny that they were beautiful and different shooters i can't deny.
#139 Posted by Heil68 (44658 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"]counter strikefaizan_faizan
Explain.

Have you tried CS GO? Nothing like what I had very fond memories of.
#140 Posted by Lethalhazard (5452 posts) -
Diablo, Resident Evil, Starcraft........I don't even have to explain. StarCraft 2 was better compared to the other two franchises that were wrecked but it still pales in comparison to Brood War.....unexciting units with uninteresting combinations, boring spells, same builds in the vast majority of games, blah blah blah. It just isn't as creative as its predecessor -- its a much more boring spectator sport.
#141 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26515 posts) -

Resident Evil though mostly because of 6.

If Lords of Shadow 2 and that 3DS castevania game suck though then I'm willing to say Castlevania. I also kinda want to say Silent Hill though I need to give Downpour another chance.

timmy00

with LOS being great I have no fear of that.

#142 Posted by Lethalhazard (5452 posts) -
Actually to add to that, Blizzard has murdered every franchise of theirs. They've been the worst this generation, for me at least. All of their games went down the crapshoot in the last few years. I have not played MoP, but I'm talking about anything else besides that.
#143 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

GTA i know a lot of people liked GTA 4 but for me that game did not feel like GTA im not saying it was a bad game but it didnt feel like GTA.murat8
I say wait until GTAV to say that.

For me I would say Tony Hawk series it was great upto and including Project 8 but after Project 8 it dropped in quality.