Biggest franchise destroyed this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by da_illest101 (7754 posts) -

Final fantasy. XIII was a pile of garbage, XIV was so bad that they had to remake the whole game and XIII-2 ... well let just say that most of the fanbase didn't even want to touch that one. versus XIII is nowhere to be seen 

#-48 Posted by LustForSoul (5912 posts) -
Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero were milked to death. All other games that were destroyed went full on Linear interactive button cutscene explosions and murder. That's what they did to the Halo campaign.
#-47 Posted by trugs26 (6145 posts) -

Maybe Guitar Hero and CoD.

#-46 Posted by The__Kraken (858 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls.

#-45 Posted by 205212669269561485377169522720 (14458 posts) -

Resident Evil. Easily. No competition here. 

I don't know any other series that fell as hard as Resident Evil did. 9.6 GOTY to 4.5 here and 6 something on Metacritic? :? 

#-44 Posted by bjvill (142 posts) -

Guitar Hero maybe?

crimsonman1245
I'd say this too. The franchise was destroyed by corporate greed, and when it fell, it took the whole genre down with it 'til the dance games picked it back up. Release a new Halo/GTA/Gran Turismo/Final Fantasy/Zelda/Diablo/Warcraft tomorrow and people will still buy it. But that won't happen for Guitar Hero. ... and maybe it won't happen for Resident Evil either.
#-43 Posted by StaticOnTV (597 posts) -
Halo, Duke Nukem, Gran Tourismo, Forza, Megaman, Crash bandicoot, Spyro, Sonic(close but not there), YS, Zelda(close but not there), Ratchet and Clank(it lost like over 70% of its relevance), Grand Theft Auto, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Capcom fighting games franchises, Star Ocean, Rayman(plot wise), Tetris, Age of Empires, Fable, SOCOM, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. Some close calls: King of Fighters, it was loosing steam a lot, although games were till enjoyable, than XIII came out and is now in my top 20 fighting games of all time. Project Gotham Racing, the series ended with a bang, it could comeback though. Pokemon, Black and White saved it for me. Battle Field, after Bad company I was getting very close to losing complete interest in the series, but lately its picked up some steam. Banjo-Kazzoie. Nut and bolts has bugged me forever, but the more varied gameplay and open-world, and great artstyle at the end just gave it to me. Mortal Kombat. This is because Mortal Kombat started with nothing but ports, and in cases bad ones, especially unchained for PSP. But Vs.DC and 9 lifted Mortal Kombat straight up to the top. and some others.
#-42 Posted by PAL360 (27384 posts) -

Resident Evil and Alone in the Dark.

#-41 Posted by joel_c17 (3013 posts) -

Diablo

Resident Evil

Call of Duty (only good COD were 1 & 2)

Silent Hill

Final Fantasy maybe?

V3rciS
Yes diablo is another one - diablo 3 was an abomination
#-40 Posted by locopatho (21367 posts) -
Even if you don't like Halo 4, I'd still consider 3, ODST and Reach great games. And I actually think Halo 4 is the best... shoot me now I guess :P It was sad to see so many great old Japanese franchises die or go mediocre. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Soul Calibur, Ace Combat were all some of my favourites last gen on PS2 that really went downhill. Though Metal Gear Solid stayed strong at least :)
#-39 Posted by Cruxis27 (1956 posts) -

... The Playstation brand? 

#-38 Posted by Vatusus (5474 posts) -

Resident Evil definitely

#-37 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

SMH at all these people saying Halo. Halo 2 had the WORST campaign in the series and Halo 3 put it back on track.  Halo 4 was a beautiful game and one of my favorites this gen. 

As for destroyed, I am not really digging Command and Conquer anymore.  Red Alert 2 was my 2nd favorite RTS ever but 3 was just so bad compared to it.

#-36 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

As time went on World of Warcraft lost its magic when they started rewarding people for minimal effort, and began removing the social aspect of the game (which also plays into the first complaint).

Between vanilla WoW, and The Burning Crusade, it truly was a magical world that you wanted to live in night and day. Now the game just feels dead. Zones are empty, and you don't even have to communicate with people to arrange dungeons/raids because you can just hit a queue button.

That's my vote simply because WoW was the most amazing game I've ever seen.

Fizzman

BC, right before the nerfs to Sunwell plateau were the halcyon days of WoW.  

I quit right before Wrath came out and sold my account.  You could tell the game was only going to get worse.  

It really is sad.

Some of the events I was a part of in WoW are still things my friends and I remember fondly right alongside stuff we've done IRL as well.

And we don't just remember vague occurences like how fun dungeons were, or how fun PvP was, but we actually remember specific, individual battles we had.

I'm at a complete loss of remembering anything that happened to me in the time I spent in Wrath or Cataclysm which wasn't much. I quit in Wrath, and rejoined in Cataclysm which I then quit within a month because I had already beaten every bit of content.

#-35 Posted by Fizzman (9886 posts) -

SMH at all these people saying Halo. Halo 2 had the WORST campaign in the series and Halo 3 put it back on track.  Halo 4 was a beautiful game and one of my favorites this gen. 

As for destroyed, I am not really digging Command and Conquer anymore.  Red Alert 2 was my 2nd favorite RTS ever but 3 was just so bad compared to it.

Lief_Ericson

Halo 2 was the first Halo with online so nobody cared.  I logged 10x more hours playing Halo 2 online than 3/Reach/4 combined.  

I think Halo 2 was the pinnacle of Halo simply because it included online MP.  

#-34 Posted by Fizzman (9886 posts) -

Command & Conquer is another one that i forgot about.

RA2 was brilliant.  

Now we have a browser based C&C that nobdoy has ever heard of.

EA has definitely taken the crown back from Activision for worst publisher in the world.  

#-33 Posted by rockydog1111 (2076 posts) -

Resident Evil, GTA, Legend of Zelda, Guitar Hero, Ninja Gaiden, Paper Mario, Final Fantasy has went downhill, Tony Hawk, and CoD to name a few off the top of my head. 

I think LoZ, GTA, Paper Mario, and Final Fantasy can still be saved though.

#-32 Posted by Liquid_ (3050 posts) -

final fantasy - completley annhilated

#-31 Posted by IC3_C0LD_ZERO (297 posts) -
Anybody remember Age of Empires? They destroyed the whole franchise with that recent freemium p2w joke. Also Empire Earth, another great strategy franchise died because the last entry in the series was terrible Mercenaries, one of my favorite PS2 games which had great potential to become a major franchise has gone to hell after Mercenaries 2 Soul Calibur, with SCV Odashima and his cronies just gave the middle finger to every fan of the series, luckily SCV bombed and the series may finally rest in peace Medal of Honor, aka the godfather of modern military shooters. After some lame games and a terrible reboot of the series, one of the most legendary franchises was annhilated Silent Hill, just a shadow of it's former shelf
#-30 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

Resident Evil. Easily. No competition here. 

I don't know any other series that fell as hard as Resident Evil did. 9.6 GOTY to 4.5 here and 6 something on Metacritic? :? 

sanim02

This is true. If we're talking biggest name, then it's Resident evil. It's not even debatable. 

#-29 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
final fantasy
#-28 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -
Duke Nukem.
#-27 Posted by DarkLink77 (31968 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

It's not the same game though. Halo 4 is basically CoD in a Halo costume.

percech
And the story is worse. And the campaign design is mediocre. And Forge is worse. And Firefight was replaced by the lameness that is Spartan Ops. And Theater is worse. And the maps are mediocre. The list goes on and on and on.

It's like you don't want the franchise to evolve one bit.

The franchise didn't evolve. It went backwards.
#-26 Posted by trollop_scat (2655 posts) -

Easy, Diablo 3. Disgusting sequel to a great franchise. RIP Diablo.

L0mak

this

#-25 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

medal of honor, only real answer

#-24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75204 posts) -
Forza, StaticOnTV
Wait what? The series has just improved Diablo, Duke Nukem, COD has gone down since 4
#-23 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26998 posts) -

Anybody remember Age of Empires? They destroyed the whole franchise with that recent freemium p2w joke. Also Empire Earth, another great strategy franchise died because the last entry in the series was terrible Mercenaries, one of my favorite PS2 games which had great potential to become a major franchise has gone to hell after Mercenaries 2 Soul Calibur, with SCV Odashima and his cronies just gave the middle finger to every fan of the series, luckily SCV bombed and the series may finally rest in peace Medal of Honor, aka the godfather of modern military shooters. After some lame games and a terrible reboot of the series, one of the most legendary franchises was annhilated Silent Hill, just a shadow of it's former shelfIC3_C0LD_ZERO

how? Iv been a huge fan since hte soul blade days and highly enjoy 5.

#-22 Posted by WTA2k5 (3998 posts) -

Call of Duty.

#-21 Posted by MW2ismygame (2188 posts) -

HOW THE HELL ARE THERE MORE VOTES FOR HALO THEN DIABLO 3 ? 

i would also mention Command and conquer and resident evil. 

#-20 Posted by DarkLink77 (31968 posts) -

MW2ismygame
Because Halo 4 is worse than Diablo III. True story.
#-19 Posted by wis3boi (32078 posts) -

Call of Duty.  Started the gen with CoD2, good times.  Now it's horrifying to look at

#-18 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

I think resident evil, mass effect (mainly shepards story, but would not mind some more coop action) were destroyed imo. Final Fantasy needs to step its game up ffxiii was ok but xiii2 was a mess. It is about to be destroyed if the new ffxiii sucks or if they dont release ff vs.

#-17 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

Call of Duty.  Started the gen with CoD2, good times.  Now it's horrifying to look at

wis3boi
Couldn't agree more.
#-16 Posted by MW2ismygame (2188 posts) -

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"]

DarkLink77

Have you even played D3 ? You honestly believe that ?

ajyDT.gif

#-15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75204 posts) -
[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"]

DarkLink77

i am not fan of Halo, but i refuse to believe that Halo is the franchise that has become the worst one this gen
#-14 Posted by MW2ismygame (2188 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="MW2ismygame"]

The_Last_Ride

i am not fan of Halo, but i refuse to believe that Halo is the franchise that has become the worst one this gen

same. I agree it is....different than others in the franchise but with so many other ripe choices for the septic tank awards, this one does not even deserve to be on the list.
#-13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28561 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] Not sure if trolling or just stupid.Fizzman

Have you played Halo 4?

Halo 4 didnt feel like Halo.  

*laughs at that*
#-12 Posted by Nanomage (2335 posts) -
Halo for sure.
#-11 Posted by DarkLink77 (31968 posts) -

MW2ismygame

ajyDT.gif

With every fiber of my being. Diablo III has serious issues, but it's fun to play. Halo 4 is garbage on every level.
#-10 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -
Mercenaries. The first was so good, then they come out with that second...blahNovotine
Oh god yes, Playground of Destruction was awesome.
#-9 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -
I would love to know why halo is destroyed and why halo 4 is such a terrible game. The only things i think are pretty bad about it is not having all features and game modes available at launch, which in the past month has proved how nice it is to have a dev constantly improve and update their game, which bungie failed to do with halo reach. IMO it delivered some awesome fast paced action on pretty good maps which halo reach also failed to do. Halo 4 gave halo a nice refresh with new features and making it feel more like older halos. I cant wait for community maps and gamemodes to be added to make it an even better game. Of course, this is coming from a halo fanboy.
#-8 Posted by sonic1564 (3265 posts) -

Everything made by Blizzard, Sony and Crapcom.

#-7 Posted by MW2ismygame (2188 posts) -

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Because Halo 4 is worse than Diablo III. True story.DarkLink77

ajyDT.gif

With every fiber of my being. Diablo III has serious issues, but it's fun to play. Halo 4 is garbage on every level.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now i know you are trolling. Serious issues ? the game is boring as watching paint dry, the item system is crap, the story is short as hell and not very fun and they keep failing with their PVP offerings and patches.

Halo 4 is leaps and bounds above D3. 

#-6 Posted by DarkLink77 (31968 posts) -

ajyDT.gif

MW2ismygame

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now i know you are trolling. Serious issues ? the game is boring as watching paint dry, the item system is crap, the story is short as hell and not very fun and they keep failing with their PVP offerings and patches.

Halo 4 is leaps and bounds above D3. 

I disagree. But then I'm not a hardcore Diablo fan.
#-5 Posted by JohnF111 (14125 posts) -
Medal of Honor.
#-4 Posted by Primordialous (1313 posts) -

I would say Halo, to an extent, as it wasn't exactly destroyed. More of a....Halo 4 just didn't feel like Halo.

Now, completely destroyed franchises-

Crysis

CoD

#-3 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

Not really destroyed, but FF has been disappointing this gen. FFXIII was mediocre, or maybe average at best. SE then decides to make 2 sequels to this game that I feel was a disappointment. I can understand why SE did it from a business perspective, but I'm still not crazy about it

Then FFXIV happened. I'm not an MMORPG guy, though even if I was I'd probably not like the game based off of what I've heard of it.

And then there's that abomination phone game, FF: All the Bravest. Ugh.

The biggest redeeming factor in the FF series this gen were the Dissidia games. Though those were a side-series as opposed to part of the main franchise so I don't know if it really balances out FFXIV and FF All the Bravest.

#-2 Posted by Heil68 (48431 posts) -
Unreal tournament, resident evil, counter strike and halo
#-1 Posted by adamosmaki (9901 posts) -
RE Crysis 2. After playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead i couldnt stand playing Crysis 2 for more than 2 hours . Really huge disappointment for me
#0 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -
counter strikeHeil68
Explain.