Big layoffs hit Eidos Montreal / Update: 27 got fired

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by IgGy621985 (4767 posts) -

"Thief developer Eidos Montreal has just laid off a number of employees, according to multiple Kotaku sources.

We've heard differing numbers, but they're big—one source says 30-50; another says 20. Those people requested anonymity while speaking to Kotaku."

Source.

Pretty bad news for those people, if true.

Also, bad news for the future of Deus Ex and Thief.

---

Update: Square Enix confirmed, 27 people got the boot:

"Yes it is true we've let 27 people go today, unfortunately it's something that every major studio has to do sometimes in order to ensure you have the right set up for current and future projects. It's never a nice thing to do but we are genuinely trying to offer as much support as much as we can. We're trying to re-locate as many people as possible into other roles here or at our other studios and we've been in touch several studios in Montreal to arrange a career day for those affected by this. We're very thankful for all their hard work and we sincerely wish them well."

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -

Considering the harsh reviews Thief got

#3 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16323 posts) -

Not surprising considering mixed reactions on Thief. However, It's probably not a big loss to the studio. They did get 400 new staff members after Deus Ex's success.

#4 Posted by nutcrackr (12557 posts) -

That was quick lol.

#5 Posted by Wasdie (49804 posts) -

Pretty typical after a launch of any major game for them to lay off the bloated staff they get trying to get the game done.

#6 Posted by fueled-system (6280 posts) -

Sad to hear that but thats the harsh reality of working in the video game industry.. Zero job security

#7 Posted by TheFadeForever (1732 posts) -

Bad news for SE in general they really need a killer title soon

#8 Posted by Jankarcop (9310 posts) -

Consoles kill yet another dev

#9 Posted by TheEroica (13462 posts) -

In other news, Square Enix announces another shitty final Fantasy game, gives devs a raise for their underwhelming work.

#10 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6904 posts) -

Ya better run, ya better take cover.

#11 Posted by donalbane (16319 posts) -

I feel for them, but Thief had a different division than Deus Ex, so the layoffs shouldn't effect that franchise. They probably let them go because their metacritic scores were too low or something. Personally, I didn't care for the new Thief at all, and stealth is my favorite genre.

#12 Edited by LustForSoul (5876 posts) -

Is this a surprise really, you can't use the exact same team for every game.

#13 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -

That sucks. It's also depressing Eidos is part of S-E.

#14 Posted by lamprey263 (23646 posts) -

I'm not too upset, I thought Deus EX HR was shit, haven't played Thief but from what I'm reading it's pretty mediocre, which is how I felt about Deus Ex HR. Hopefully they're just clearing house to acquire more talented people to replace them. For all we know they're just cleaning house of game testers which they won't need for another year or two.

#15 Posted by millerlight89 (18517 posts) -

I feel for them, but Thief had a different division than Deus Ex, so the layoffs shouldn't effect that franchise. They probably let them go because their metacritic scores were too low or something. Personally, I didn't care for the new Thief at all, and stealth is my favorite genre.

No, every studio lets people go after a project. They were probably hired on as temps. See wasdie's post. Highly doubtful it was because of a stupid metacritic score.

#16 Posted by Netret0120 (2094 posts) -

They took their jobo_O

*South Park Redneck voice*

#17 Edited by Netret0120 (2094 posts) -

They took their jobo_O

*South Park Redneck voice*

#18 Posted by mems_1224 (47028 posts) -

In other news, Square Enix announces another shitty final Fantasy game, gives devs a raise for their underwhelming work.

Its pretty disgusting how much they blame their western devs for all their troubles even though they're the only studios in that company doing anything remotely interesting. I wonder how many from the FF13-2 dev team got laid off.

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16499 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Pretty typical after a launch of any major game for them to lay off the bloated staff they get trying to get the game done.

This, nothing out of the ordinary.

However, still a shame for the people that got fired.

#20 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16499 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Its pretty disgusting how much they blame their western devs for all their troubles even though they're the only studios in that company doing anything remotely interesting. I wonder how many from the FF13-2 dev team got laid off.

If it weren't for games like Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex or Thief, I would have zero interest in Square Enix.

#21 Posted by GhoX (4939 posts) -

Even if a game is successful, developers tend to lose their jobs after a game is completed. It's simply the way of the industry for developers to hop from game to game.

#22 Posted by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

I think it's pretty safe to assume this is solely down to the failure that was Thief, low metacritic and I'm guessing probably lousy sales.

#23 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

We can only speculate. It makes sense after a project is completed, people shift.

#24 Posted by donalbane (16319 posts) -

@donalbane said:

No, every studio lets people go after a project. They were probably hired on as temps. See wasdie's post. Highly doubtful it was because of a stupid metacritic score.

Yeah, it probably is just standard layoffs associated with finishing up, but I read that people's contracts are often tied up with metacritic scores. They can get bonuses if a game scores above a set point, and the axe if the game does poorly. Like I said, I'm just glad it's not the same team as Deus Ex.