BF3 still in the top 10 on NPD - proof that gamers demand quality FPS

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

You hear that 343 Industries and Treyarch? Gamers have spoken, and we're telling you that we want... no, DEMAND, quality in our first person shooters! No longer will we sit idly by and allow ourselves to be brainwshed by the tyranny of CoD and it's countless knock-offs. We kindly ask that you drop your pathetic sales pitches and revolting milkage of tired franchises, and surrender to EA and Dice, the champions of revolutionary and innovative multiplayer design.

#2 Posted by Cheleman (7707 posts) -

I'm playing it as i type this:P

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (58272 posts) -
So sales=quality?
#4 Posted by lostrib (37736 posts) -

It's probably because BF3 Premium Edition just came out recently

#5 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

I don't care about the technical differences, COD and Battlefield are the same type of shooter.

Halo incorporates a free-roam aspect (as in jumping on top of structures instead of being forced to use ramps and ladders), which is different enough for me.

#6 Posted by GamingVengeance (1854 posts) -

I don't care about the technical differences, COD and Battlefield are the same type of shooter.

Halo incorporates a free-roam aspect (as in jumping on top of structures instead of being forced to use ramps and ladders), which is different enough for me.

WiiCubeM1
lol
#7 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

WiiCubeM1

And BF3 doesn't?

Btw, BF3 and CoD are literally nothing alike. BF3 doesn't suck, for example.

#8 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Battlefield 3 blows ass. Bad Company 2 was so much better.

#9 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

DarkLink77

PUHleez. BF3 lays waste to every other multiplayer game this gen. Other shooters like Halo could only dream of having it's level of depth in physics and gameplay and tactics and teamwork.

#11 Posted by Planeforger (15797 posts) -
The fun part is that even though BF3 is still in NPD's top ten selling games, it's never going to outsell COD. So how does that fit into the sales = quality argument?

WiiCubeM1
Indeed - from what I've seen, BF3 took the BF formula and made it more like COD.
#12 Posted by UXO13 (150 posts) -

I want to be good with Kennen so badly, but I just can't seem to pull off amazing plays.

#14 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

It's return to the NPD is entirely because the release of the premium edition. Next month it'll fall off the NPD to never be seen again.

#17 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Master_ShakeXXX

And BF3 doesn't?

No, it doesn't.

#18 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

WiiCubeM1

And BF3 doesn't?

No, it doesn't.

You must have never played any modes outside of TDM then. The maps are huge and provide plenty of opportunities for "free roaming". Why you would be roaming around in the middle of no where like a jackass while your bros are getting killed is beyond me, though.

#19 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Master_ShakeXXX

PUHleez. BF3 lays waste to every other multiplayer game this gen. Other shooters like Halo could only dream of having it's level of depth in physics and gameplay and tactics and teamwork.

halo is all about tactics and teamwork if you play objective and arent playn idiots. the physics in halo are fantastic, hell you can even change the physics. you are clearly very ignorant to anything halo, and talking about bf3 like it is perfect is bs that game has tons of bugs and glitches. this is coming from bf3 fan i think it is a great game with loads of content. imo halo is on a whole other level not only does it deliver an amazing multiplayer it delivers so much more than that unlike bf3.
#20 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

And BF3 doesn't?

Master_ShakeXXX

No, it doesn't.

You must have never played any modes outside of TDM then. The maps are huge and provide plenty of opportunities for "free roaming". Why you would roaming around in the middle of no where like a jackass while your bros are getting killed is beyond me, though.

When I say that BF3 and COD are the same basic type of shooter, in comparison to Halo, you are dropped into a semi-flat map where the only places you can get to are normally pre-determined spots that can only be accessed through ladders/ramps/stairs/etc., with random pieces of cover strewn throughout the map where people using many variations of the same type of gun act in a cooperative fashion, often times camping or at least patrolling the same parts of the map for a strategic edge over the other players.

(e.g. - You are dropped into the middle of a complex with truck trailers / concrete dividers / giant buildings with 1 accessible room where the people with machine guns run around the same half of a map blasting each other's brains out while the guys with the sniper rifles are either holed up behind a piece of cover on the corner of the map or a tower where they can only be accessed by a ladder, where they often either stay a majoity of the match or only venture a set distance from said sniper spot, often fighting other would-be snipers for control of the spots, almost like a deadly game of king of the hill. There is no 3-Dimensional game play, you are limited to only where the game allows you to go. There is no physics system, only small jumps to get over small pieces of cover or fences. It's predictable.)

The "free-roaming" aspect, or at least my definition of it, is when you have a bunch people roaming a map on foot or in vehicles using a small set of well-balanced weapons (as of Halo: Reach, anyway), flying through the air either by vehicle or adjusted gravity jumps, with very little camping (in my experience with Halo) and extremely varied maps, from pseudo-COD style maps like Snowbound or The Pit, to large maps where people can come flying at you from any possible direction, like Sandtrap or Valhalla, where people can fly up to the top of a 10 story building, then jump on top of you and take you out with a well-aimed gravity hammer to the head.

Plus you can tweak the physics in Halo 3. Have you ever played a game of Infection on Sandtrap with the gravity all the way down and speed all the way up?

All in all, I'm not saying Battlefield 3 is a bad game by comparing it to CoD, but it definitely not the same type of shooter as Halo.

#21 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

I still play it a few hours every week. I play it almost as much as Skyrim!

#22 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Srsly though, in Halo, when somebody is hiding in a building, what can you do? Run in? Wait for them to pop their head up? In Halo your options are extremely limited.

Now lets look at the same situation in BF3. A guy is hiding in a room. Ok, so you blow a hole in the wall and shoot the mother f*cker in his nuts. See what I'm getting at when I talk about depth?

Master_ShakeXXX

When someone is hiding in a building in Halo, I throw a grenade. Or get a shotgun. Or a rocket launcher. And then I proceed to kill the f*ck out of them. Because you can't hide in buildings if your opponents are half-decent.

Meh, destroying stuff is funner. Of course Halo and CoD would never allow such an amazing feature in their games because their game engines are still stuck in last gen.

How does destruction make a game better? Counter Strike and Quake 3 are some of the most skillful FPS games ever and yet don't have any destruction.

It's a different game. Can't criticise for having something it's not supposed to.

Though I can say Battlefield 3 isn't fun. Coming from a someone who probably played Battlefield games before you.

Oh yeah, and Bad Company 2 rocked.

#23 Posted by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -
BF3 was flavor of the day status
#24 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

Oh yea, BF3 is the beez kneez.

#25 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

No, it doesn't.

WiiCubeM1

You must have never played any modes outside of TDM then. The maps are huge and provide plenty of opportunities for "free roaming". Why you would roaming around in the middle of no where like a jackass while your bros are getting killed is beyond me, though.

The "free-roaming" aspect, or at least my definition of it, is when you have a bunch people roaming a map on foot or in vehicles using a small set of well-balanced weapons (as of Halo: Reach, anyway), flying through the air either by vehicle or adjusted gravity jumps, with very little camping (in my experience with Halo) and extremely varied maps, from pseudo-COD style maps like Snowbound or The Pit, to large maps where people can come flying at you from any possible direction, like Sandtrap or Valhalla, where people can fly up to the top of a 10 story building, then jump on top of you and take you out with a well-aimed gravity hammer to the head.

Plus you can tweak the physics in Halo 3. Have you ever played a game of Infection on Sandtrap with the gravity all the way down and speed all the way up?

All in all, I'm not saying Battlefield 3 is a bad game by comparing it to CoD, but it definitely not the same type of shooter as Halo.

That's a pretty odd definition of free roam you got there.

#26 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Master_ShakeXXX

What can I say? I prefer games where I'm not limited to the floor.

#27 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

WiiCubeM1

BF3 has jets and helicoptors. You're not limited to the ground.

#28 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Can you jump out and not die?

(Honestly, I've never attempted it, but knowing the rest of the game, I'm willing to say you do.)

#29 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

BF3 was flavor of the day statusjg4xchamp

If that was true it wouldn't still be so popular.

#30 Posted by silversix_ (14803 posts) -
BF3 is meh. BC2 is where it was at.
#31 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]BF3 was flavor of the day statusMaster_ShakeXXX

The reason it's so popular is because, next to it being a great shooter, a lot of people hate Halo and Call of Duty.

#32 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

WiiCubeM1

(Honestly, I've never attempted it, but knowing the rest of the game, I'm willing to say you do.)

Never tried myself. I'm assuming if you're close enough to the ground you might live.

#33 Posted by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]BF3 was flavor of the day statusMaster_ShakeXXX

shake taste
#34 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

But think about it, in about 5-15 years, this song will almost be completely forgotten.

#35 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

But think about it, in about 5-15 years, this song will almost be completely forgotten.

Slow_Show
:lol: This is by far, the best bet to have ever been made in System Wars.
#36 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

:lol: This is by far, the best bet to have ever been made in System Wars.DarkLink77

Thank you, Captain Obvious LOL hahaha!!!

#37 Posted by jg4xchamp (48378 posts) -

Slow_Show
if only the numbers were smaller this would be perfect
#38 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]BF3 was flavor of the day statusjg4xchamp

shake taste is the best

Thank you. I agree.

#39 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

if only the numbers were smaller this would be perfectjg4xchamp

Music videos are strange.. they never seem to resemble the lyrical content; in particular with this song in which professes a rather nobly profound message.

#40 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]:lol: This is by far, the best bet to have ever been made in System Wars.Slow_Show

Thank you, Captain Obvious LOL hahaha!!!

:| I try to give you people compliments, and this is what I get.
#41 Posted by Vaasman (11500 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Never tried myself. I'm assuming if you're close enough to the ground you might live.

How can you be praising this game when you've played it so little that you didn't even know there are parachutes?

#42 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

DarkLink77
Not even close. BC2 had horrible movement combined with nearly no-recoil shooting. BF3 requires quite a bit more skill. It also has 64 players instead of 32 which is a huge difference.
#43 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Vaasman

How can you be praising this game when you've played it so little that you didn't even know there are parachutes?

Yeah... That's kinda sad... And yes there are parachutes. You can use them at any time.
#44 Posted by arto1223 (4404 posts) -

WiiCubeM1

What a tool.

On point, good for DICE. BF3 is a fantastic shooter and only second to BF2142 this gen.

#45 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DragonfireXZ95

Not even close. BC2 had horrible movement combined with nearly no-recoil shooting. BF3 requires quite a bit more skill. It also has 64 players instead of 32 which is a huge difference.

Don't care about the first two.

Because player count makes games better. :lol:

#46 Posted by biggest_loser (24062 posts) -
You realise that the BF3 campaign was pretty much a COD knock-off right? #Irony.
#47 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

It makes it more interesting, that's for sure. Also, the first 2 don't make it worse? Really? Talk about selective reading and bias. The first 2 affect the gameplay directly.
#48 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Not even close. BC2 had horrible movement combined with nearly no-recoil shooting. BF3 requires quite a bit more skill. It also has 64 players instead of 32 which is a huge difference.DragonfireXZ95

It makes it more interesting, that's for sure. Also, the first 2 don't make it worse? Really? Talk about selective reading and bias. The first 2 affect the gameplay directly.

I think the first two are subjective. Movement in BF3 feels the same as BC2, and I don't give a f*ck about recoil, because its inclusion doesn't automatically make a game better.
#49 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Battlefield..... quality? LOLWHADAFUQ!?!?!?

#50 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

I think the first two are subjective. Movement in BF3 feels the same as BC2, and I don't give a f*ck about recoil, because its inclusion doesn't automatically make a game better.

Have you tried strafing while running in BC2? Oh wait, you can't. But you can in BF3. That alone makes the gunplay that much more satisfying.

BC2 was based on the controller mostly. Whereas BF3 actually took into account WASD.