Beyond Two Souls: A criminally under-rated GEM from last gen

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2449 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

@ zeeshanhaider

Well theres your answer right there. "you simply don't understand"

And Cage is not ruining the game industry, he doesn't make games.

You are defending that mo*ron Cage or actually agree that he creates automated nonsense third rate movie wannabe with stupid, ridiculous plot and story?

#52 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@razgriz_101 said:

a lot of merit should be given to Cage for having the balls to try and bring back the old adventure genre

No. No merit should be given to him for making a bad game. He's not trying to bring back the adventure genre, because the genre has already been brought back and is doing just fine with no help from him. Beyond isn't an adventure game. It's a 8+ hour movie with minimal interaction, terrible writing, and terrible characters.

thats your opinion its still an adventure game if you actually read my post and i state myself even i think gameplay is a bit thin on the ground you would actually understand my point of view so please do not take my whole post out of context based upon 1 sentence in the whole post, its interaction system is good and fluid and the fact you make choices that are relevant and influence the story is great aswell.

Im persoally enjoying it and really thats all that matters to me, although most of SW will seem to be reviled and disgusted by such i merely enjoy this much like i did with heavy rain as a breath of fresh air and a good little break from the more action orientated products i play.

Its good that the genre is becoming a bigger part of the mainstream and Beyond helps in that aspect as does the Telltale games series that we currently have and no matter who's developing i would personally like to see more games like Heavy Rain,Farenheit,Back to the futre (Telltale) and Walking dead and eagerly await the Game of Thrones ones coming soon as long as they stick to the lore and im sure they will.

I got Beyond for £20 thats all i realyl wanted to pay for it and i know i'll replay a couple of times to try get different outcomes like i've done with Mass Effect and HR.

#53 Edited by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

@razgriz_101: "thats your opinion its still an adventure game"
No it isn't so there's no actual gameplay or puzzle solving.

"please do not take my whole post out of context based upon 1 sentence in the whole post,"
I didn't take your post out of context because the rest of your post doesn't change the context of the sentence I was quoting or my response to it.

"its interaction system is good and fluid"
No it isn't. Characters control like a bag of rocks riding in a bumpercar and you interact with things by vaguely moving the right analog stick in the direction of microscopic white dots, which is horrible since the design of the environments often have white dots as part of the scenery and the right analog stick also controls the camera. Then there's the "Action" scenes where it's almost impossible to tell with direction the game wants you to move the analog stick.

"and the fact you make choices that are relevant and influence the story is great aswell."
This couldn't be farther from the truth. The choices you make literally don't matter or affect the story in any way. They create cosmetic differences at most. There's a character in the game you can romance and since he's a horribly written, unintentionally despicable character you'll most likely want to treat him like shit, yet even if you do the game will outright refuse to acknowledge that and will continue to force him on you throughout the game, asking you over and over and over again to love him.

"i know i'll replay a couple of times to try get different outcomes like i've done with Mass Effect and HR."
Except your choices literally don't culminate or matter at all. Once you reach the end of the game the game will literally pause and simply ask you which ending you want.

#54 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

@Pffrbt: i frankly dont really care, as long as i enjoy it and when i mean interaction i meant how the game handles certain actions.Its accesible so say someone like my parents could play which i feel is a thing more games should be doing and opening up aswell as narratively but then again Beyond isnt strong really but then again theres very little games that are.

Its an adventure game, you seem to hold dear the rigid confines of what dictates a genre to be brutally honest and blunt with you.

The whole b-b-b-b-ut its not an adventure game reeks of those people who cant accept the fact things are changing and have changed over the past 10-15 years and gaming is big buisness, much like the doom having superior level design arguement? cause honestly for a product designed to sell to a mass varied audience it really is not.

And you did take it out of context by singling out one point, and gonna put it out here i remade 3 retorts to my last reply within your last rebuttal that i made in my initial post which goes to show you didnt actully read what i said initially.

Im enjoying the game and could really not care bout your opinion, its just a good game thats a breath of fresh air from my current games and thats why im really enjoying it much like i did with heavy rain despite the massive amout of detractors and self proclaimed purists.If people like yourself think you can do better than developers why arent you in the industry?

#55 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@ zeeshanhaider

LOL. Don't worry about who I defend, you just work on understand the difference between something bad and something you simply don't understabd or don't like. Also just because I said he doesn't make games doesn't mean he makes movies. He makes Interative Dramas/Stories/Fiction. He might actually be saving the video game industry, Beyond has the most Interactive Narrative, something that the video game industry is clearly lacking. You understand now ? ;)

#56 Posted by uninspiredcup (8250 posts) -

@Pffrbt:

Im enjoying the game and could really not care bout your opinion,

But the best part of this post was when you wrote 50 lines caring about his opinion.

#57 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@ Pffrbt

Actually ther are no big white dots that are part of the scenery. Also the QTEs were readable in fight sequences (after military school), there'nt readable when she was running from something or ducking and diving (before Military School)

Also its more interactive than Heavy Rain was, not by much but it was more.

You're right about the Choose your ending part, the was the worst thing they couldve done, they shouldve left them out completely even simply cutting the game right there, unresolved, would've made it much better.

#58 Posted by bezza2011 (2408 posts) -

No one else found the walking dead games to be a bore and the voice acting was rubbish, i mean the main character everytime he spoke flet like he was reading a line from a book and didn't flow, it actually put me off the game how bad i felt the voice acting was. not played beyond two souls i'll just wait for the next installment

#59 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2449 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@razgriz_101

: "thats your opinion its still an adventure game"

No it isn't so there's no actual gameplay or puzzle solving.

"please do not take my whole post out of context based upon 1 sentence in the whole post,"

I didn't take your post out of context because the rest of your post doesn't change the context of the sentence I was quoting or my response to it.

"its interaction system is good and fluid"

No it isn't. Characters control like a bag of rocks riding in a bumpercar and you interact with things by vaguely moving the right analog stick in the direction of microscopic white dots, which is horrible since the design of the environments often have white dots as part of the scenery and the right analog stick also controls the camera. Then there's the "Action" scenes where it's almost impossible to tell with direction the game wants you to move the analog stick.

"and the fact you make choices that are relevant and influence the story is great aswell."

This couldn't be farther from the truth. The choices you make

literally

don't matter or affect the story in any way. They create cosmetic differences at most. There's a character in the game you can romance and since he's a horribly written, unintentionally despicable character you'll most likely want to treat him like shit, yet even if you do the game will outright refuse to acknowledge that and will continue to force him on you throughout the game, asking you over and over and over again to love him.

"i know i'll replay a couple of times to try get different outcomes like i've done with Mass Effect and HR."

Except your choices literally don't culminate or matter at all. Once you reach the end of the game the game will literally pause and simply ask you which ending you want.

Applause!!!

#60 Edited by zeeshanhaider (2449 posts) -

@ zeeshanhaider

LOL. Don't worry about who I defend, you just work on understand the difference between something bad and something you simply don't understabd or don't like. Also just because I said he doesn't make games doesn't mean he makes movies. He makes Interative Dramas/Stories/Fiction. He might actually be saving the video game industry, Beyond has the most Interactive Narrative, something that the video game industry is clearly lacking. You understand now ? ;)

No, the first thing any and every game needs is the fvcking 'gameplay'. He and his fanbase are a cancer to the industry.

#61 Posted by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

It's a very good game and I certainly welcome more games like it. However compared to Heavy Rain it is a bit of a let down.

#62 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@ zeeshanhaider

Hello ! Earth to zeeshanhaider ! Its not a game. What it does need is more interaction. More QTE's :) , more encounters with characters that don't try and kill or send you on a long boring fetch quest.

#63 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7384 posts) -

I prefer games that I can actually play, not sit and watch like a movie.

#64 Posted by svenus97 (2289 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVk-XrGR5ks - This is such a perfect review for the game, and you can see the amount of intelligence and maturity that exists in some gamers when it has so much dislikes.

My biggest complaint is that it's tonally retarded and incapable - it jumps from sci-fi, to fantasy, to horror, to rom-com, to action, to espionage, to drama, to teen stuff, to thriller and so on. That is way too much stuff for one game to handle. All the best stories have focus and pacing, this game has neither.

Then there are the inconsistent characters spouting over-written dialogue. Jodie has no arc and no character development, she is a character for as long as one vignette lasts and then in another it might as well be a completely different character.

And the gameplay... oh God, the gameplay. It is sticky, slow, unintuitive, the controls are unresponsive and the like the tone it's just a mess. It's like they took the worst parts of Heavy Rain and mashed them with the "running away from something" sequences from Tomb Raider, but made them less compelling and exciting and more gooey with more annoying button prompts, which you might as well fail because Jodie can't die. This is a game that doesn't want to be played.

It is only good from a technical point-of-view. The music is great and the acting is as good as it can be (even Daniel Day-Lewis couldn't act these lines). I also think that that graphics were also very inconsistent, some levels look great (mostly night time ones with rain), while some look atrocious, like the Navajo part.

Sure, there were some good moments and there probably is an interesting idea there for a game, but it is mishandled.

So, I'd say that is why it is not a gem. How can you even compare this to The Walking Dead is beyond me (lol).

#65 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@ speedfreak48t5p

Go ahead and put down the controller in Beyond, nothing's gona happen.

#66 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

I don't understand how people can praise shit like The Walking Dead (Telltale)

Stopped reading there.

#67 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@ svenus97

You're mostly right. As for the controls, they're definatle are unintuitive but that falt lies with in the technology, not the game itself, the PS3 controller was designed for conventional gaming (shooting, jumping, fighting, racing), not for interactive stories wich I'm sure you'l agree is anything but conventional (Delivering a baby, cookin, psychic experiments). Bad as the controls were, they sure as hell couldn't have been better, not unless you replace every signaficant moment in the game with gameplay from KillZone or The Last Of Us.

As for the Graphics, they were consistant Everywhere even in the Navajo section of the game, which was the most taxing part of the game with its massive enviroment, luckily the only downside were the short frame dips. But yeah, I agree with everything else.

#68 Posted by lamprey263 (23475 posts) -

it scored better than Last of Us yet that gets picked for PS3 GOTY instead and Beyond: Two Souls doesn't even get a nomination

#69 Edited by svenus97 (2289 posts) -

@ svenus97

You're mostly right. As for the controls, they're definatle are unintuitive but that falt lies with in the technology, not the game itself, the PS3 controller was designed for conventional gaming (shooting, jumping, fighting, racing), not for interactive stories wich I'm sure you'l agree is anything but conventional (Delivering a baby, cookin, psychic experiments). Bad as the controls were, they sure as hell couldn't have been better, not unless you replace every signaficant moment in the game with gameplay from KillZone or The Last Of Us.

As for the Graphics, they were consistant Everywhere even in the Navajo section of the game, which was the most taxing part of the game with its massive enviroment, luckily the only downside were the short frame dips. But yeah, I agree with everything else.

I see your point but I thought that controls in Heavy Rain were fine, here they really did feel sticky, especially the part in the Middle East with all the awkward covers.

#70 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@ svenus97

Middle East ? Couldve sworn it was Africa.

Anyway compare that with Scott Shelby's Shootout at the Kramer Residence and I'm pretty sure Beyond was clearly the superior one.

#71 Posted by svenus97 (2289 posts) -

I don't remember, tbh. I do remember it was a made-up country.

#72 Posted by svaubel (2456 posts) -

For a game it's pretty bad.

For an interactive movie that you occasionally press a button it's top notch.

#73 Posted by chocolate1325 (32490 posts) -

The Walking Dead was brilliant with a great cast and a well made story which relied on your choices made like Heavy Rain you felt for those characters and could get an understanding about the difficulties they were having. Beyond Two Souls scenes just left me confused with new parts of Jodies life happening about every 10 minutes it just never flowed for me.

#74 Posted by Beefkebob (75 posts) -

Beyond Two Souls is an example on how you properly make a triple AAA interactive game title. Ryse is a bad example on how to make an interactive movie game.

#75 Posted by tymeservesfate (1657 posts) -

the "game" is excrement.